Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by dgpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which game is the hardest? Please take ball times, shots, scoring etc into consideration.”

• The Shadow 31 votes
    15%
  • Iron Man 42 votes
    20%
  • BSD 47 votes
    22%
  • RBION 15 votes
    7%
  • X-Men 9 votes
    4%
  • Fish Tales 12 votes
    6%
  • F-14 24 votes
    11%
  • The Avengers 12 votes
    6%
  • EMs 21 votes
    10%

(213 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN2415.JPG
DSCN2412.JPG
DSCN2411.JPG
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago

IM out in front, I figured that would be the case.

#52 10 years ago

IM over F14?

I've played a couple dozen games on various IMs. I've never found one as in-your-face brutally fast and uncontrollable as F14. That game is an adrenaline rush every time.

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

Maybe we should start another thread with strictly EMs.

Or maybe you should start another thread that only includes late model DMD games. They are more comparable to each other.

Most DMD games will never be as hard as many EM or early solid state machines.

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from Dommer:

surprised no one has mentioned TSPP. i think that game is tough as fuck.

Define tough... Tough as in really short ball times due to difficulty controlling the ball? Or tough because it takes 45 minutes to play a game and get through the super deep rules?

I owned a TSPP and loved it, but it was an easy game from a ball time standpoint. I consider more of a long playing game myself.

#55 10 years ago

Out of that list it is X-men for me.

#56 10 years ago

Voted bsd but ripleys is no cake walk either.

#57 10 years ago

Anything is possible.
DSCN2415.JPGDSCN2415.JPG

#58 10 years ago

Many EM pins are tough to play. Getting the targets in order, tight shots needed to get the ball back up to the top of the playfield. Game ending tilt. All of the above with 2 Teeny tiny flippers.

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Many EM pins are tough to play. Getting the targets in order, tight shots needed to get the ball back up to the top of the playfield. Game ending tilt. All of the above with 2 Teeny tiny flippers.

Or just keeping the ball in play. Tell that to the young lady that did that to Big Daddy this evening. Damn! She must have been playing it in her dreams for the last week to pull that off in such short order tonight.

#60 10 years ago

+1 for Paragon.

Just played it this weekend and it was a doozy! Very tough.

I think the Shadow is perceived as very hard because often it is used in tournament play and the settings are all on the hardest level and the outlane posts don't have rubbers on them. On normal to easy settings and the playfield set up for easy play this one isn't as hard as some others.

Would also agree on BSD. I have seen some pretty good players post some low scores on it.

#61 10 years ago

Taxi is brutally hard.

#62 10 years ago

BSD making ground, figured F14 would be higher too.

#63 10 years ago

BSD is a very hard game. I miss mine. Iron Man is brutal also, but even when I had a bad game I felt some sense of accomplishment. On BSD, if you tank, you don't see anything. Takes a very good game to get everything going, but when you do its one of the most amazing experiences in Pinball.

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

A lot of them really are. No ball save, game ending on a tilt, etc. Most of the DMD games you have listed, including STTNG, which I have, are a cake walk, relatively speaking. But I do realize a lot of people haven't spent much time playing these older machines, which might make the newer ones seem difficult.

My $0.02 is for EMs, too. I grew up playing and attempting to master the games from the 60's and a ball with 15-20 seconds of playfield time wasn't too bad. Nudging and skillful shooting with 2" flippers and scoring 1,000 points on a game with pops or rollovers that give 1 or 10 points (if lit) is HARD. It's part of the charm....watching a ball loop lazily off a ramp and head down the middle is both frustrating, yet exciting because next time, just next time, you'll be able to bang the table just right and bounce the ball back into play without tilting.

I have a Bank-a-Ball and a Slick Chick...both challenging, yet so rewarding when the rare 1,000 point light illuminates. Also have a TOM (on hard settings), which, although difficult to fully conquer, remains the favorite of the younger crowd that plays the machines.

#65 10 years ago

Jurassic Park Lost World. You have to complete the modes to get them to light. not just start them. A serious shooters game. The only way I ever got to wizard mode was with the glass off. So hard to get to the wizard mode the game isn't fun.

#66 10 years ago

For me, it's getting to the very last phase of Roadshow or Whitewater. I also agree about the mock-speed problems with IM and F-14. Johnny Mnemonic too...

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballsmith:

very last phase of roadshow or Whitewater

Yesiree, I had a WH2O for almost a year and no vacation jackpot for me.

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

Yesiree, I had a WH2O for almost a year and no vacation jackpot for me.

It I get close to getting the vacation jackpot and fail, it's quite easy for me to ignore the machine for a very long time in an almost comical fit of frustration.

#69 10 years ago

I've never played a more brutal game than F14.

I understand comments on the tilts on EMs. Having played some that I knew were calibrated correctly, I still get punishing tilts.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#70 10 years ago

Not on here, and controversial, but Popeye was a but kicker when I had it. Especially getting to Sweet Pea on the upper playfield

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

Nudging and skillful shooting with 2" flippers and scoring 1,000 points on a game with pops or rollovers that give 1 or 10 points (if lit) is HARD.

This machine I have has 100 points when lit pop bumpers. In any given game you are lucky just to hit them, let alone light them.

Sometimes the ball never even meets the flipper.

#72 10 years ago

And BSD pulls into the lead, what a comeback.

#73 10 years ago

Fishtales ball times on average for me are at 30-45 seconds. I have played a lot of games on this and can control pretty well but this game kicks my ass. I voted Ripleys tho due to the many modes and having to complete perfectly on numerous modes to see wizard mode.

I really enjoyed IM and didn't see a problem with ball times or difficulty of shots.

#74 10 years ago

Or to get right to the point...

1. Name a game more difficult than Black Hole

[x] none.

-mof

3 weeks later
#75 10 years ago
Quoted from dantebean:

Fishtales ball times on average for me are at 30-45 seconds. I have played a lot of games on this and can control pretty well but this game kicks my ass

I've done good and bad on this game on occasion. The thing with FT is that the ball can go at warp speeds. Crazy flow! Even faster than the kick-forward in Iron Man.

#76 10 years ago

Avengers has the hardest shots and super fast action

#78 10 years ago

I personally find EMs tough to play

j/k, sort of.

#79 10 years ago

Im super shocked no mention of Flash Gordon. I find it to be a pain, but I love it..

#80 10 years ago

A BSD and a RBION sit in my basement; usually BSD is friendlier (even with the short flippers).... probably because RBION feels so much like chopping wood, until you collect all the continents. It has jackpots of 50,000 ... lol.

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

A BSD and a RBION sit in my basement; usually BSD is friendlier (even with the short flippers).... probably because RBION feels so much like chopping wood, until you collect all the continents. It has jackpots of 50,000 ... lol.

It also has skill shots of 1, 2, 3 + million. I find RBION tough to get deep into, mode wise, but I consider BSD to be the tougher game. BTW, with that Avatar, aren't you supposed to like chopping wood?

#82 10 years ago

I find The Shadow to be ridiculously hard

#83 10 years ago

why is Shadow so ridiculously hard cause it is! I mean the side drains seem fair its just always sdtm. Has anyone measured the flipper gap? Are the flippers a tad shorter or what?

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

It also has skill shots of 1, 2, 3 + million.

Yeah, but if you miss the skill shot, it's STDM

I find RBION tough to get deep into, mode wise, but I consider BSD to be the tougher game. BTW, with that Avatar, aren't you supposed to like chopping wood?

Ah. You've discovered my secret. To the HoverPeter!

#85 10 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Yeah, but if you miss the skill shot, it's STDM

But if you don't score 30,000 points it's infinite ball save. If I remember right, that was like 3 sling hits and an outlane

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

But if you don't score 30,000 points it's infinite ball save. If I remember right, that was like 3 sling hits and an outlane

This is true. You can plunge over and over until you hit something. But you also run the risk of sling drain.

Still doesn't make it an easier game than BSD though

#87 10 years ago

My vote is for The Shadow. BSD is a great choice too. Easily the 1st two games I thought of regarding this post. Another challenging game I have not seen listed here yet is Indianapolis 500. That game is a great mix of the challenge from Shadow, and the fun / humor of WH2O.

#88 10 years ago

Can you get over 1000 pts. on any of those? Do your games last more a minute? Just as I thought.

#89 10 years ago

For sheer difficulty of achieving goals, tough to beat EM's, especially games like Bowling Queen where you have to get all 12 balls, something that is a very rare accomplishment.

For modern games, I agree with BSD and Shadow, WOZ is also very tough to get a good score on, without stacking the multiballs and modes, near impossible to break 500,000, and keeping the multiballs going is brutal too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

7,995 (OBO)
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-toughest/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.