Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 128 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Viggin900
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D9068ED4-92F1-4C53-9B7E-DFF7B9EA0800.gif
    Screenshot_20200403_050216 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    8296AF2C-8A0D-4952-9B44-148D983013C4.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider johnrezz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from zpinman370:

The top 100 is fine it just needs to be weighted differently and have say a min of 500 ratings to be included. This way you have a real sampling volume that makes sense. I am sure I am not the first one to bring this up and it cant be that hard to implement? Come on Pinside make the change!!

The top 100 is just a reference page, it blows my mind how many people take it personally. It does make me chuckle how many times I hear people refer to their top 10 games (and it is 4 months old).. I agree 100%, the weighing of the statistics is completely off for this ever to represent an accurate picture. The biggest offender is time followed by the availability and cost of the game... How can TZ with 1372 votes on a game almost 3 decades old sit behind JP with 466 votes and a life span of 8 months? Easy answer, social dynamics. Everyone who buys one feels compelled to give it the highest ratings I am guilty as well.. Like it or not when you spend 8-10K on a Pin human nature is to justify it, not only to our spouses (who has mastered this and if you have, start a "how-to" thread) but to the Pinside community as well.

Not that any of this matters, I built my life around numbers and find this stuff fascinating.

It would be cool to adjust the weighing by:
    1. Age:
    New - this would tell you what was the hot sellers of the year
    1-10 - this would tell you which one of those "new games" were actually good and not being justified purchases
    10-20 - this would be interesting to see as WPC ages
    20-30 - the shift of the old school pinheads who loved EM to ESS and SS (that would show something)
    30 plus - really, 30 years old and we still talk about them, this deserves more than a list!!!!

2. availability
    This would have to be an extrapolation of (Production run) (Year's produced) (attrition value)

3. ***Waiting period before they can be weighed against the list (like the hall of fame, there is always a waiting period since the most recent players will always win, it's about being remembered later not now. even if it was only 1 year, it would make a huge difference (maybe have them but highlight them as rookies)

just some thoughts while I am locked up through another week...

Cheers

John

#52 4 years ago

I agree with you

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider johnrezz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-top-100-should-be-closef?tu=johnrezz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.