8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by badbilly27
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

images-2.jpeg
    IMG_2385.jpg

#1 8 years ago

...I got the TZ in the house and it doesn't seem very special to me anymore. The kids love it, though.

#2 8 years ago

That didn't take long.

#3 8 years ago

davewth...I was the same when I got mine, didn't enjoy it much and made a trade deal. During the week prior to the deal happening I quickly started to really enjoy the game and wish I would have never made the trade! I am now looking to buy one again so let me know if you want to sell but I would give it some time to grow on you.

#4 8 years ago

I'd trade it for a Funhouse + cash right now. Oh $hit, i sound like black rose now. NO offense B_R, you da man!

#5 8 years ago

Was it shopped? I find people give up on pins sometimes before they allow it the potential to be what it should be.

Some people think the flippers are good enough, or the game is clean enough, or the rubbers are good enough, but after you do a full shop job, clean everything and replace everything, the game is much different.

Not saying that is your situation, but TZ is such a good game.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Was it shopped?

No, I plan on giving/getting it shopped before i do anything stupid like selling it. I fully realize that some of the things you love the most are often acquired tastes. Ya know, like certain albums?? silly analogy. Anyhow, the kids love the thing. They almost missed the bus this morning bc we were playing the game.

but i would trade it for a funhouse and cash... hahaha!

#7 8 years ago

just get both, they compliment each other nicely . I had a league night last night, and out of eleven games these two, plus Spider-Man were a huge hit. Even the guys who didn't quite understand TZ still enjoyed it. There's so much to do.

IMG_2385.jpg

#8 8 years ago

Shop and rebuild first, you may be surprised. FH is great too, but doesn't have the depth that TZ has.

I actually just shopped my TZ for the second time and installed all the hard to get to crap I had bought over a while. It is so fast now that I can barely hit any of the orbit shots with the upper flippers.

I seem to always hate new games, I don't know why. I almost traded TZ, CV, AFM, DM, FH.. before shopping and giving them more time. Now I love them all. I'm to cycnical I think

#9 8 years ago

Hard to miss in your collection Pete, as you have such a great mix.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Hard to miss in your collection Pete, as you have such a great mix.

Thanks! I'm hoping to complete the trio of Lawlor greatness and add TAF real soon!

#11 8 years ago

I am afraid that i'm going to be shuffling between different pins too much. I have that problem with audio equipment. I've had 5 or 6 different amps and sets of speakers in my stereo (2 channel) setup and it's been pissing my wife off. In fact, i just bought another amp two nights ago right after the guy bought my space shuttle.

that was off topic.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from shock_me:

Thanks! I'm hoping to complete the trio of Lawlor greatness and add TAF real soon!

Whirlwind would be nice, too!

#13 8 years ago

Happened to me and another long term collector I know. On paper TZ looks like an easy choice. It's got depth, killer toys, great audio and artwork. It's impressive, but after a few games I can tell I'm not /really/ enjoying it. I want to, I know I should - but it feels like there's a missing spark of fun somewhere. That's why I sold my really nice one. I've owned a lot of start/stop games, I think that might be it - TZ stops the ball a /lot/, more than Whirlwind, Ripleys, TAF and so on.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Whirlwind would be nice, too!

Agreed. I'm kinda concentrating on his WPC years for now though. System 11's may come later, but I need a bigger venue first...LOL

#15 8 years ago

That was fast!

#16 8 years ago

Just over a year ago I did the same thing. Traded my TZ. I missed about a week later. I now have it back and it is being shopped shopped/upgraded and I can't wait to pick it up. Think twice about this one.

#17 8 years ago

TZ has so many mixed opinions. Keep wondering whether to get one and then I hear people saying it becomes a chore to play. Can't make my mind up....

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I got the TZ in the house and it doesn't seem very special to me anymore. The kids love it, though.

I hear you! I move pins in and out all the time . This is why NIB is never an option for me ,I couldn't take the hit after I got bored with it.

Jim

#19 8 years ago

I'm picking my TZ up tonight...hopefully it will be a keeper. I'll give it some time though, shop it out, etc. I'm sure my kids will love it though!

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I am afraid that i'm going to be shuffling between different pins too much

I am finding out that is a whole separate phase to this addiction. Near as I can tell Gorilla might have recently developed this problem as well

#21 8 years ago

Dave, don't give up. (This goes to anyone buying a Pin)You need to first of all :

1) Ideally- Buy a Pin which you have played before, and know you have fun with it first,
    before buying it. And Hopefully- The Pin you played was in great shape and it
    was set up correctly (more on this later).

If you buy a Pin , site unseen or not played before, it's like buying a car, you never drove before.
    So, chances are pretty high one may not like it so much.

Then remember, when you buy the same Pin, your not (usually) buying the same Pin you
    played on , but buying it from the mass market.

2) Once you get YOUR Pin (Not the one you played, the one you bought) HOME,

You NEED to MAKE SURE IT IS SET UP CORRECTLY .!!

Pinball machines have got to be Leveled properly, IF not , they will play way too fast,
    and will be drain monsters.!!

And I don't know of one person who likes a drain monster.!! And don't forget Left and right
    leveling as well.

Next, make sure the rubber is new, or semi- in good condition, old, sluggish rubbers,
    will make the game play slow..
    Did you know that Black rubber is made of a denser material than white rubbers? Meaning Black rubber's make your games play slower, bounces will be significantly less....Making a switch could make your Pin play like a WHOLE nother game...

Even cleaning your playfield, pinballs, rubbers, ramps, loops, etc... can make a HUGE difference in performance.

Did you know you can "tweak" Pop bumpers, slingshots, targets, etc, to either be more sensitive or less sensitive..?

The MORE sensitive it is tweak, the faster the game, The less sensitive, the slower the game.

And one of the MOST IMPORTANT, but I think the most over-looked IMO, is the proper
    alignment of FLIPPERS.....!!!!!!!

Flipper's have GOT to be aligned properly, or you just cannot realize the FULL potential

of gameplay, The engineers/designers created the Flippers to be in exact spots on the playfield,

so either read your manual, or adjust them yourself, until you FEEL you got it.

Anyway, I am sure there are more things, but I think those are the most important.

And Dave, until you have got "Lost in The Zone", I would wait....

#22 8 years ago

TZ is a GREAT machine, but it isn't the easiest to get to know quickly.

#23 8 years ago

thanks for the insight, wizman.

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Was it shopped? I find people give up on pins sometimes before they allow it the potential to be what it should be.

Indeed.

Don't give up on it yet. New rubber, rebuilding all four flips, wax, and new coil sleeves in the slings and pops will make a big difference.

Then after the teardown is complete--and before you play your first game--read & learn the ruleset on the IPDB.

Changed my mind after doing all this: keeper.

#25 8 years ago

I hope you warm up to it dave. If not you won't have much trouble moving it that's the good thing about it. I would give it some time see if it grows on you a bit before making a decision as others have mentioned.

#26 8 years ago

Congrats on the TZ! I'd shop that bad boy out and tweak it like Wizman suggested. TZ needs to be setup properly to be enjoyed! Are all the features working on yours such as the clock, powerball, etc? I've spent hours tweaking my game to get it to play right, although I'm planning to do a full teardown/shop-out this winter which will make it play a lot better!

I wouldn't even think about trading that game until you've owned it for awhile and gotten familiar with all the rules and subtleties. TZ is one of the best (if not the best) games ever. The rules/depth/features are far above and beyond earlier Lawlor games like Funhouse and Whirlwind.

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from jitneystand1:

I am finding out that is a whole separate phase to this addiction. Near as I can tell Gorilla might have recently developed this problem as well

Who? ME?

Give it some time, as many have already said. I have really started liking a pin, right after I put it on the market, 2 times in the last year and I feel like a boob for letting them go.

hhehehe, I said "feel a boob" (sorta)

#28 8 years ago

I picked mine up 5 weeks ago first 2 weeks I shopped it and added a some mods,clear ramp. I am liking it a lot. It is nice next to all my flow games.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I'd trade it for a Funhouse + cash right now. Oh $hit, i sound like Black Rose now. NO offense B_R, you da man!

No Offense taken !! I like to Trade as well .. I gotta say , I'm Still enjoy-n my TZ

#30 8 years ago

I got the TZ in the house and it doesn't seem very special to me anymore.

images-2.jpeg

#31 8 years ago

There is nothing wrong with that davewth, I am also not a TZ fanatic. It is entirely possible that TZ is not your grail machine, and despite everyone's opinions who love that game, there is nothing wrong with that. Pinball is highly subjective.

#32 8 years ago

I don't understand. If you bought it having never played one before I could maybe see wanting to get rid of it after only one day, but I assume you played it in the wild enough to form a decent opinion of it? Why the sudden change of heart? Does the one you bought play differently than the others did? If so, it sounds like you just need a shop job and some adjustments.

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

I don't understand. it sounds like you just need a shop job and some adjustments.

General anxiety disorder + it needs a shop job. I readjusted the left flipper (it was off by a mm) and it's playing better.

#34 8 years ago

Buyers remorse? It drives my wife crazy that I complain about bringing new pins home.

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from donjagra:

Buyers remorse? It drives my wife crazy that I complain about bringing new pins home.

I feel for you wife, its the opposite here. She has the buyers remorse. Takes forever to talk her into something. She gets excited about it and we purchase, then the second guessing kicks in the moment we pay for it.

But on topic, hope you start to enjoy it more. If not at least you have a machine that will sell quickly.

#36 8 years ago

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm getting over the buyer's remorse.

#37 8 years ago

To me TZ never gets old. I play others and then find my way back. A true classic pin.

#38 8 years ago

TZ is just too easy. To LITZ you just hit three shots and each feeds a flipper. A little forced randomness is essential IMO.

#39 8 years ago

I've had my TZ for a few years. It plays great and is truly a unique fun playing pin. However, as I've been adding more pins to my collection I had to take one down to fit in Tron LE. TZ is currently out of the lineup in my back basement folded up. I didn't want to sell it yet, knowing I likely will not find another in same condition for like price I have into it. My wife said, put it in the back basement and see how bad you miss it. Gotta tell you, so far, not missing it.

Where is that fellow who has a MM that he wants to trade for a TZ plus cash?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    € 159.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    FlipperLED
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Star Wars Premium Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    $ 149.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 12.99
    $ 245.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    $ 64.00
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside