758AE35C-DEFA-42A3-B535-9C3016A88C4B (resized).jpeg
download (resized).jpg
Overall_view (resized).jpg
IMG-0101 (resized).jpg
IMG-0100 (resized).jpg
ted carpenter (resized).jpg
BowedFrayedHoneybee-size_restricted.gif
SPFX 9 Color Cover (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zablon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 4 years ago

We all know that (even though Blumhouse is not that bad) redoing John Carpenters version after seeing the 2011 one, it will in no way be as good as Carpenters. They will completely screw it up and try to make it kid friendly with young pretty, clean people (like the 2011 one). I am of course biased as Carpenters The Thing is one of my all time favorite movies. They will also CGI the crap out of it.

That being said, the remake of Evil Dead was pretty damn good IMO....but that is really the only one I can think of in recent memory that was good. (The original was also one of my all time favorite movies).

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from BillyPilgrim:

Hmm. Didn’t know that, never saw it. I always thought it was a remake of Carpenters.

yes, it is a prequel. They did a very good job actually. You could tell they studied the source material. What ruined it was the CGI...which it wasn't supposed to be originally. Overall, it's not that bad of a movie though (but you'll see divided opinions on that).

Additionally, there was a video game released in the late 90's or early 2000's that is considered a sequel and canon.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I thought it was horrible, and I love both Hawks's version and Carpenter's. Hawks's film was as good as could have been made back then, and his style and method make the film enjoyable to watch even today. Fast pacing, tight dialog, strong characterization, etc. Carpenter's is a perfect film in every possible aspect. Even today, those effects are chilling to watch and unlike CGI, emit a sense of reality that CGI just can't replicate. He did follow the novel pretty close, except Campbell's characters are more intelligent and practical, where Carpenter made them seem to be more like outcasts. Nevertheless, it's a great film, easily his best.
The 2011 film is horrible, not just in effects, but in story line. It's like every other horror film made nowadays.

There was some brilliance hidden in that movie. Like their test of how to see who was infected. The story was hurt by having to have a young pretty lead because it just made no sense. The cgi effects did suck yes. The original effects that were supposed to be used were looking very good. The ending was kind of questionable as well. But they did a very good job of recreating the original location and copter/dog scene line ups.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Just like they couldnt remake big trouble in little china

I got bad news for you....

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Please say they are not going to remake Big Trouble in Little China. Some movies are awkwardly perfect and cannot be redone. It would destroy them....

Quoted from Pinstein:

What are you saying here?

There's a 'sequel' in the works with the Rock.

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Childs is in fact the Thing! MacReady gives him a bottle of "booze" to drink but the bottle really is filled with Kerosene which is why MacReady laughs at the end. You can dive deep into the pool on this one by watching youtube theories.
All in all remakes suck. They consist of a film studio trying to either A. sell toys or merch or B. they want to make money without risk.

There's actually a tell throughout the movie, but it is hard to see. Look up Carpenters explanation about the eyes. I've never heard about the bottle having Kerosene.

#67 4 years ago

duplicate

#108 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Should be great! There are so many great 80s movies that could benefit from a remake with modern effects and sensibilities. How can you wrong? Total Recall, Robocop, Point Break, Ghostbusters....
Oh. Wait.

You forgot Poltergeist...omg...

I actually didn't mind the Childs Play remake as the premise was different...but it wasn't as good as the original.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zablon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-thing-to-be-remade?tu=zablon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.