758AE35C-DEFA-42A3-B535-9C3016A88C4B (resized).jpeg
download (resized).jpg
Overall_view (resized).jpg
IMG-0101 (resized).jpg
IMG-0100 (resized).jpg
ted carpenter (resized).jpg
BowedFrayedHoneybee-size_restricted.gif
SPFX 9 Color Cover (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider methos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It was actually quite interesting and worth a look if you're a fan of Carpenters. Teffects weren't great as it was a little lower key flick but it didn't embarrass itself.

I thought it was horrible, and I love both Hawks's version and Carpenter's. Hawks's film was as good as could have been made back then, and his style and method make the film enjoyable to watch even today. Fast pacing, tight dialog, strong characterization, etc. Carpenter's is a perfect film in every possible aspect. Even today, those effects are chilling to watch and unlike CGI, emit a sense of reality that CGI just can't replicate. He did follow the novel pretty close, except Campbell's characters are more intelligent and practical, where Carpenter made them seem to be more like outcasts. Nevertheless, it's a great film, easily his best.

The 2011 film is horrible, not just in effects, but in story line. It's like every other horror film made nowadays.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:Hollywood has a short memory sometimes. With it being almost 40 years old, its new to them.

It's more likely these films have a built up fan base/identifiable brand, so it's a guarantee cash flow success upon release. Plus it gives new filmmakers the opportunity to make their mark, and further their careers, without much damage upon failure. Most of the time, artistically the film fails because of the high bench mark of the original.

The Fog remake was a piece of shit, lucky that is all they have remade of his films outside of the Halloween franchise.

Carpenter's remake is really one of the very few examples of a remake surpassing the original. What is interesting is that the film flopped upon release and lost money. Luckily, Carpenter bounced back to make a few more good films before he lost the plot (Escape from LA, Ghosts of Mars). Having said that, he was the best at that genre for 15 years. I just watched Christine a few weeks ago, and even that film has held up.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

I kinda expect The Fly to be done again. I think 1986 with Jeff Goldblum was descent.

That is another remake that was damn good, but 1986 was 34 years ago.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Best to forget aboot Assault On Precinct 13

Damn, I forgot about that one.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

There was some brilliance hidden in that movie. Like their test of how to see who was infected. The story was hurt by having to have a young pretty lead because it just made no sense. The cgi effects did suck yes. The original effects that were supposed to be used were looking very good. The ending was kind of questionable as well. But they did a very good job of recreating the original location and copter/dog scene line ups.

You mention the pretty lead, which I agree was not necessary. The other scene that stood out to me was the entry into the ship underground, totally ridiculous.

One of my favorite scenes of the 82 version is when they go to the Norwegian camp. The sets just drive the atmosphere, as does the models used, and the 2011 movie just completely missed the continuity of it, at least in my eyes.

The one scene that was done well was the helicopter scene with The Thing erupting. I thought they really tried and that could have worked. But throwing the effects off on the side for a minute, Carpenter's (and the Hawks) version had a very tight and quick turnaround with the plot. They move fast and you have to keep up. Even now, my son and I watch it and try to guess who gets infected, and when. When is there only one Thing, and when are there finally two, and how? When does Blair get infected? Is Childs a Thing at the end since he was away for so long?

It's my favorite horror/sci fi movie of all time, and Alien is just a thumbnail below it, but not by much. Even that freakin poster art is top notch.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from I_P_D_B:

John Carpenter's The Thing didn't do well at the box office because shortly after it came out, the movie "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial" came out and totally took over the country. IMDB indicates it was 9 months between each debut but I recall in our area it was more like only 3-4 months.

It also opened up against Blade Runner, which also was a flop, but it was praised by critics.

But The Thing just "didn't do well" at the box office, it was ripped apart by critics, the public, AND by genre fans(us). Carpenter's career was almost ruined.

Wiki has a good summary if you want to read up on it.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:There's actually a tell throughout the movie, but it is hard to see. Look up Carpenters explanation about the eyes. I've never heard about the bottle having Kerosene.

That would assume there is two at that point, which might not be the case as they just destroyed Blair. I'll have to watch the end again to see about the kerosene in the bottle.

I've always been good with the ambiguous ending, makes for a better story.

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I knew you were expecting it........ some fun Things.
Nice to chat with John about The Thing.
Lobby card from the 1951 Thing signed by Ken and Bob.
Lobby card from John's Thing signed by John, Wilford, Nauls and Windows....[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Ken Tobey hated the 1982 remake and really came out with some negative comments about it, which I'm sure hurt the box office as the older generation stayed away.

We have to remember, nothing like those effects were seen by anyone back in 1982, not to that extent. It was just too much for audiences back then.

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinstym:

I believed the kerosene theory till I saw this. Spoilers if you haven't seen John Carpenter's The Thing.
Watch "John Carpenter''s THE THING - "Molotov whisky" theory examined" on YouTube

There is no way a bunch of rouge filmmakers back in 1982 freezing their asses off, having one actor with a broken hand, and the special effects guy having nervous breakdowns, would have set that all up, no way in hell.

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

It's really hard not to love Kurt Russell. That guy's a national treasure.

Supposedly, his name was one of the last things Walt Disney said on his deathbed.

#107 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I didn't see that one, but pretty sure it was bad. Total Recall and Robocop were terrible. I never bothered to watch Ghostbusters. Some things just can't be redone, they exist as unique accomplishments and achievements of perfection, and include performances by specific actors that just can't be superseded or even replicated.
Now they are supposedly remaking Scarface. In what universe does someone think that will ever work? Besides, its perfection already. Why bother? I'm gonna go watch it yet again....you cockaroaches.
Dune (84) is a special case, an outlier. Most people that are into the books did not like it, or actually despise it. To me it had a lot of good possibilities, but like many I couldn't get over the hump that they made up a completely nonsensical plot device that had absolutely nothing to do with the feel of the book and this just ruined it. The TV miniseries tried to make amends and had some good parts, but still failed in major ways, making you wonder if anyone involved actually did read the book. Jodorowsky might have made something original but probably would have been crazy over the top. I like to hope that the new one will somehow pull off something good, but it doesn't seem likely. It may be impossible to do.

Total Recall was shit, as was the Robocop remake.

I actually liked the 84 Dune, although I have not read the books.

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I know this was a joke, but March IS the premiere Mr Hyde. I mean just ask anybody on the street

That transformation is still incredible to watch, even today.

#130 4 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

d posyt[quoted image]

I was never a big fan of this film as others are. It has great style and terrific acting/actors, but the plot doesn't move that fast. Could have been better.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider methos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-thing-to-be-remade?tu=methos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.