758AE35C-DEFA-42A3-B535-9C3016A88C4B (resized).jpeg
download (resized).jpg
Overall_view (resized).jpg
IMG-0101 (resized).jpg
IMG-0100 (resized).jpg
ted carpenter (resized).jpg
BowedFrayedHoneybee-size_restricted.gif
SPFX 9 Color Cover (resized).jpg
There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 4 years ago

https://screenrant.com/thing-movie-remake-universal-blumhouse-new-novel/

Almost 40 years ago. Hopefully it will be descent. Perhaps a boutique pin as well?

#2 4 years ago

Hope it is better than the original but I have to tell ya I've not been impressed with the movie remakes, like King Kong, or the animation movies to real life portrayals.

#3 4 years ago

First Dune and now this! It's a great time to be alive

#4 4 years ago

Love both things!

The Thing From Another World A Cherry Tree Novel uk 1952 (resized).jpgThe Thing From Another World A Cherry Tree Novel uk 1952 (resized).jpgthe thing art carpenter (resized).jpgthe thing art carpenter (resized).jpg
#5 4 years ago

A remake of a remake?

0053939668629_p0_v2_s550x406 (resized).jpg0053939668629_p0_v2_s550x406 (resized).jpg
#6 4 years ago

IT'S NOT A REMAKE.
Though it's often cited as a remake of the 1951 film The Thing from Another World, it's really not. ... Unlike the 1951 film, Carpenter's movie features a creature that can perfectly imitate its victims.
mentalfloss.com › article › 13-fascin...
13 Fascinating Facts About 'The Thing' | Mental Floss

#7 4 years ago

Hard to do effects in 1950....easier to just make a Frankinsteinish monster instead.

SPFX 9 Color Cover (resized).jpgSPFX 9 Color Cover (resized).jpg
#8 4 years ago

Last remake was in 2011.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from BillyPilgrim:

Last remake was in 2011.

That was a prequel

This is of course dumb because it can't be done better. I'd toss the idea away and say it will never be made (we all remember that Gerrad Butler Escape from New York eh?) but since it's blumhouse they'll pump out a little piece of shit right quick.

I mean, I do give them credit for making a horror movie version of Fantasy Island

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

That was a prequel

Hmm. Didn’t know that, never saw it. I always thought it was a remake of Carpenters.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

IT'S NOT A REMAKE.
Though it's often cited as a remake of the 1951 film The Thing from Another World, it's really not. ... Unlike the 1951 film, Carpenter's movie features a creature that can perfectly imitate its victims.

The new one won't be a remake if they use CGI instead of real special effects.

#12 4 years ago

Hmm. Didn’t know that, never saw it. I always thought it was a remake of Carpenters.

It was actually quite interesting and worth a look if you're a fan of Carpenters. Effects weren't great as it was a little lower key flick but it didn't embarrass itself.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It was actually quite interesting and worth a look if you're a fan of Carpenters. Teffects weren't great as it was a little lower key flick but it didn't embarrass itself.

I thought it was horrible, and I love both Hawks's version and Carpenter's. Hawks's film was as good as could have been made back then, and his style and method make the film enjoyable to watch even today. Fast pacing, tight dialog, strong characterization, etc. Carpenter's is a perfect film in every possible aspect. Even today, those effects are chilling to watch and unlike CGI, emit a sense of reality that CGI just can't replicate. He did follow the novel pretty close, except Campbell's characters are more intelligent and practical, where Carpenter made them seem to be more like outcasts. Nevertheless, it's a great film, easily his best.

The 2011 film is horrible, not just in effects, but in story line. It's like every other horror film made nowadays.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It was actually quite interesting and worth a look if you're a fan of Carpenters. Teffects weren't great as it was a little lower key flick but it didn't embarrass itself.

Finally bought that a year or so ago, and was surprised that like you stated, it wasn't a blemish, but at the same time once it had concluded, it felt a bit gratuitous and slightly a retread. I haven't rewatched it since, yet Carpenter's "original" is the kind of loop in your mind at times film, it's that good.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

... Fast pacing, tight dialog, strong characterization, etc. Carpenter's is a perfect film....

Sure sure, we all have film degrees and understand Carpenters' is a classic

#16 4 years ago

In The Thing (Kurt Russell version), the polar station had a game room with an EM pin in it. I forget which one...Ah found it online, it was Heat Wave. Maybe they were foreshadowing climate change having that pin in the movie?

#17 4 years ago

Bally Space Invaders would have been a perfect fit!

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Nevertheless, it's a great film, easily his best.

Yet his worst musical score

#19 4 years ago

This is awesome news. I love this movie. What a great pinball title this would be also!

#20 4 years ago

Not Carpenters musical score. Ennio Morricone. And I disagree fully. The music from the Thing is part of what makes it a masterpiece.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from rolandthoms:

Not Carpenters musical score. Ennio Morricone. And I disagree fully. The music from the Thing is part of what makes it a masterpiece.

Not too quick on the uptake are you?

#22 4 years ago

Ennio Morricone won an Oscar for the Thing score all be it by the Hateful Eight a few years ago. Crazy.

#23 4 years ago

God why??

How many times are they going to remake this movie?

#24 4 years ago

Hollywood has a short memory sometimes. With it being almost 40 years old, its new to them.

I think the reason some of the remakes/reboots that don't do well like Nightmare on Elm Street is that the older movies have been cleaned up and ported over to Blu-ray/UHD. Its almost like why bother when this is as good as its going to get? I will see it though because Im a sucker for horror/sci fi

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I think the reason some of the remakes/reboots that don't do well like Nightmare on Elm Street is ...

Uff man that thing was a dirty dog.

Evil Dead wasn't bad, but for sure on most of them they are just fodder to make some quick bucks.

Quoted from chad:

I kinda expect The Fly to be done again. I think 1986 with Jeff Goldblum was descent.

Perfect example, if they remade that now could you get someone as talented with such a vision like Chronenberg? Would they even be allowed to?

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Hollywood has a short memory sometimes. With it being almost 40 years old, its new to them.
I think the reason some of the remakes/reboots that don't do well like Nightmare on Elm Street is that the older movies have been cleaned up and ported over to Blu-ray/UHD. Its almost like why bother when this is as good as its going to get? I will see it though because Im a sucker for horror/sci fi

I think they are just out of ideas and making a remake is a quick cash grab... People are familiar with a name so they want to see the remake. Not that many of them are even close to good...

#27 4 years ago

I kinda expect The Fly to be done again. I think 1986 with Jeff Goldblum was descent.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:Hollywood has a short memory sometimes. With it being almost 40 years old, its new to them.

It's more likely these films have a built up fan base/identifiable brand, so it's a guarantee cash flow success upon release. Plus it gives new filmmakers the opportunity to make their mark, and further their careers, without much damage upon failure. Most of the time, artistically the film fails because of the high bench mark of the original.

The Fog remake was a piece of shit, lucky that is all they have remade of his films outside of the Halloween franchise.

Carpenter's remake is really one of the very few examples of a remake surpassing the original. What is interesting is that the film flopped upon release and lost money. Luckily, Carpenter bounced back to make a few more good films before he lost the plot (Escape from LA, Ghosts of Mars). Having said that, he was the best at that genre for 15 years. I just watched Christine a few weeks ago, and even that film has held up.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

That is another remake that was damn good, but 1986 was 34 years ago.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

The Fog remake was a piece of shit,

hahaha, I actually like The Fog remake. My brother always makes fun of me for that lol.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Decent, it was an amazing 80's master piece, as was The Thing, RoboCop, Total Recall... every one of these remakes are garbage.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

The Fog remake was a piece of shit, lucky that is all they have remade of his films outside of the Halloween franchise.

Best to forget aboot Assault On Precinct 13

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

....a quick cash grab... People are familiar with a name so they want to see the remake. Not that many of them are even close to good...

My exact feelings regarding the last 5...6...maybe 7 Star Wars films, except for the quick part. But when you're making a billiion per, you don't need to churn them out fast!

#34 4 years ago

We all know that (even though Blumhouse is not that bad) redoing John Carpenters version after seeing the 2011 one, it will in no way be as good as Carpenters. They will completely screw it up and try to make it kid friendly with young pretty, clean people (like the 2011 one). I am of course biased as Carpenters The Thing is one of my all time favorite movies. They will also CGI the crap out of it.

That being said, the remake of Evil Dead was pretty damn good IMO....but that is really the only one I can think of in recent memory that was good. (The original was also one of my all time favorite movies).

#35 4 years ago

yes, it is a prequel. They did a very good job actually. You could tell they studied the source material. What ruined it was the CGI...which it wasn't supposed to be originally. Overall, it's not that bad of a movie though (but you'll see divided opinions on that).

Additionally, there was a video game released in the late 90's or early 2000's that is considered a sequel and canon.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I thought it was horrible, and I love both Hawks's version and Carpenter's. Hawks's film was as good as could have been made back then, and his style and method make the film enjoyable to watch even today. Fast pacing, tight dialog, strong characterization, etc. Carpenter's is a perfect film in every possible aspect. Even today, those effects are chilling to watch and unlike CGI, emit a sense of reality that CGI just can't replicate. He did follow the novel pretty close, except Campbell's characters are more intelligent and practical, where Carpenter made them seem to be more like outcasts. Nevertheless, it's a great film, easily his best.
The 2011 film is horrible, not just in effects, but in story line. It's like every other horror film made nowadays.

There was some brilliance hidden in that movie. Like their test of how to see who was infected. The story was hurt by having to have a young pretty lead because it just made no sense. The cgi effects did suck yes. The original effects that were supposed to be used were looking very good. The ending was kind of questionable as well. But they did a very good job of recreating the original location and copter/dog scene line ups.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Best to forget aboot Assault On Precinct 13

Damn, I forgot about that one.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Damn, I forgot about that one.

No reason to remember it that's for sure.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

There was some brilliance hidden in that movie. Like their test of how to see who was infected. The story was hurt by having to have a young pretty lead because it just made no sense. The cgi effects did suck yes. The original effects that were supposed to be used were looking very good. The ending was kind of questionable as well. But they did a very good job of recreating the original location and copter/dog scene line ups.

You mention the pretty lead, which I agree was not necessary. The other scene that stood out to me was the entry into the ship underground, totally ridiculous.

One of my favorite scenes of the 82 version is when they go to the Norwegian camp. The sets just drive the atmosphere, as does the models used, and the 2011 movie just completely missed the continuity of it, at least in my eyes.

The one scene that was done well was the helicopter scene with The Thing erupting. I thought they really tried and that could have worked. But throwing the effects off on the side for a minute, Carpenter's (and the Hawks) version had a very tight and quick turnaround with the plot. They move fast and you have to keep up. Even now, my son and I watch it and try to guess who gets infected, and when. When is there only one Thing, and when are there finally two, and how? When does Blair get infected? Is Childs a Thing at the end since he was away for so long?

It's my favorite horror/sci fi movie of all time, and Alien is just a thumbnail below it, but not by much. Even that freakin poster art is top notch.

#40 4 years ago

Actually Carpenter's 'last' film, THE WARD (direct to video/streaming), was pretty good.

He's said he happily takes a check every time a remake is done.

#41 4 years ago

Cool. I’ve seen em all and was a fan. Capernter’s version gave me nightmares as a kid.. I saw the whole head running around scene by accident when I was like 6. That’s what I get for sneaking down while my older sis was having a slumber party...

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from miracleman:

THE WARD (direct to video/streaming)...

The Ward was a theatrical release.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

I saw the whole head running around scene by accident when I was like 6.

BowedFrayedHoneybee-size_restricted.gifBowedFrayedHoneybee-size_restricted.gif
#44 4 years ago

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

every one of these remakes are garbage.

That remake with Colin Farrell was friggin horrible. Very disappointing, and it had so much potential.

The Thing better not be all CGI’d up horribly. Just something creepy like Carpenter’s remake with Russell.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The Ward was a theatrical release.

You are (technically) correct, and I was (totally) wrong

It got a token theatrical release (made $7500 ) and was on dvd/blu a month later.
(thank you wikipedia)

I myself saw it on itunes

#47 4 years ago

They will never capture the charm and atmosphere of Carpenters film with Russell and real physical effects (way pre CGI) Just like they couldnt remake big trouble in little china or escape from new york, geez they couldnt even remake Overboard without that Russell studliness. FYI the original monster in the first film was played by James Arness aka Marshal Dillon from Gunsmoke.

#48 4 years ago

I welcome a 4th adaptation. I love Christian Nyby's 1951 version but obviously Carpenter's is the greatest. Shout out to my
hero Rob Bottin!! Not so much the 2011 version.

Funny though, after 2 YEARS of saying the 2011 film would be all practical effects, the studio suddenly forced the director to include tons of CGI. Amalgamated Dynamics (the SFX shop) made a movie called "Harbringer Down" which is pretty damn good and involved all practical effects. This new Thing had better be as well.

I have a little faith - Jason Blum knows WTF horror fans want, and he knows how to limit a budget in case something doesn't land. I'll definitely try a 4th The Thing.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Just like they couldnt remake big trouble in little china

I got bad news for you....

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

First Dune and now this! It's a great time to be alive

Ugh Dune was the worst movie ever made. So the good news is basically any remake can't help but be better. On the other hand, The Thing is an all time classic. Hard to make something better than that.

There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-thing-to-be-remade?hl=jenniebear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.