758AE35C-DEFA-42A3-B535-9C3016A88C4B (resized).jpeg
download (resized).jpg
Overall_view (resized).jpg
IMG-0101 (resized).jpg
IMG-0100 (resized).jpg
ted carpenter (resized).jpg
BowedFrayedHoneybee-size_restricted.gif
SPFX 9 Color Cover (resized).jpg
There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 4 years ago

As long as The GodFather is not redone..

#102 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Now they are supposedly remaking Scarface.

Hopefully this time it will be more true to the original.

p7975_v_v8_aa (resized).jpgp7975_v_v8_aa (resized).jpg
#103 4 years ago

I just hope they never remake this one again.

p45311_v_v8_aa (resized).jpgp45311_v_v8_aa (resized).jpg
#104 4 years ago

LOL

A lot of good points being made here. Remakes have been a thing SINCE the film studios started. Day 1. Ok, maybe day 2.

Just wait - eventually they will remake Star Wars.

Hell, Cecil B DeMille remade “Ten Commandments” 30 years after he HIMSELF made it in 1923.

I just hope they don’t pull the same crap as 2011 this time letting the director spend all this money on practical effects (ALL of which got shot) and replacing it literally 4 weeks before release with horrendous CGI. Bad idea all around. Alienated (ha) the core fans, and everyone who saw the scant shots in the trailer were also turned off because of how bad it was.

#105 4 years ago

Alec Gillis and Time Woodruff did all the effects on the 2011 Thing, intending to be at least up to Rob Bottin’s super high bar. Then the rug got pulled out and they wasted all that work.

They did end up reusing a lot of the ideas in their own movie Harbringer Down
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbinger_Down

It’s not an instant classic but it’s in the vein of the Thing and definitely hits all the right parts

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Now they are supposedly remaking Scarface

Hopefully they can make Scarface not as horrible as the DePalma version. I mean really, honestly, that movie is so horrible. Funny as shit though that's for sure.

Quoted from xsvtoys:

Dune (84) is a special case, an outlier. Most people that are into the books did not like it, or actually despise it.

Uff is there anything worse for film than "Bookers?" Those people are the fucking worst no matter what movie, what genre, whatever time period.

#107 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I didn't see that one, but pretty sure it was bad. Total Recall and Robocop were terrible. I never bothered to watch Ghostbusters. Some things just can't be redone, they exist as unique accomplishments and achievements of perfection, and include performances by specific actors that just can't be superseded or even replicated.
Now they are supposedly remaking Scarface. In what universe does someone think that will ever work? Besides, its perfection already. Why bother? I'm gonna go watch it yet again....you cockaroaches.
Dune (84) is a special case, an outlier. Most people that are into the books did not like it, or actually despise it. To me it had a lot of good possibilities, but like many I couldn't get over the hump that they made up a completely nonsensical plot device that had absolutely nothing to do with the feel of the book and this just ruined it. The TV miniseries tried to make amends and had some good parts, but still failed in major ways, making you wonder if anyone involved actually did read the book. Jodorowsky might have made something original but probably would have been crazy over the top. I like to hope that the new one will somehow pull off something good, but it doesn't seem likely. It may be impossible to do.

Total Recall was shit, as was the Robocop remake.

I actually liked the 84 Dune, although I have not read the books.

#108 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Should be great! There are so many great 80s movies that could benefit from a remake with modern effects and sensibilities. How can you wrong? Total Recall, Robocop, Point Break, Ghostbusters....
Oh. Wait.

You forgot Poltergeist...omg...

I actually didn't mind the Childs Play remake as the premise was different...but it wasn't as good as the original.

#109 4 years ago

80s was pretty much the cheesiest, least creative decade in history, so why not.

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

You forgot Poltergeist...omg...

So piss poor.

#111 4 years ago

I can think of one recent remake that didn't try to capitalize on old people's fond memories of their youth. That would be The Mechanic starring Jason Statham and Ben Foster.

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

I watched Fast and Furious 7 two nights ago. I was amazed that Kurt Russell was still going strong. Glad to see one of my idols is alive and kicking!
QSS

Great movie. I wonder how many people know or care the first one in the recent series was also a remake.

p4732_v_v8_aa (resized).jpgp4732_v_v8_aa (resized).jpg
#113 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Great movie. I wonder how many people know or care the first one in the recent series was also a remake.[quoted image]

Had no idea, Odin keeps pulling out some good ones!

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Had no idea, Odin keeps pulling out some good ones!

I watch all the old shit.

Just when I thought nobody could top John Barrymore's performance in 1920's Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde, I find out Frederich March won the Oscar for best actor in 1932's version.

#115 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I actually liked the 84 Dune, although I have not read the books.

That explains why you like the movie! They did the best they could at the time. However, when you have to have a running narration to explain every scene as it happens, you have a problem.

#116 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I watch all the old shit.
Just when I thought nobody could top John Barrymore's performance in 1920's Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde, I find out Frederich March won the Oscar for best actor in 1932's version.

I know this was a joke, but March IS the premiere Mr Hyde. I mean just ask anybody on the street

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

That explains why you like the movie! They did the best they could at the time. However, when you have to have a running narration to explain every scene as it happens, you have a problem.

I absolutely did not understand Dune when I first saw it (I was 5... my dad borrowed a Betamax from work and rented Dune and Star Wars... guess which one we watched 5 times)... anyway the behind the scenes on that movie is bonkers, and even though it doesn’t live up to the books, it is great in a very weird way.

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I know this was a joke, but March IS the premiere Mr Hyde. I mean just ask anybody on the street

Have you watched Barrymore's? He put so much into that role, it sent him spiraling into a nervous breakdown. He did HIS transformations without any special makeup.

#119 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Have you watched Barrymore's? He put so much into that role, it sent him spiraling into a nervous breakdown. He did HIS transformations without any special makeup.

I was trying to be funny, but I salute you for knowing the digs on Barrymore’s version. Totally awesome too! Eyeliner and a crazy wig goes a LONG way!!

#120 4 years ago
3npk45 (resized).jpg3npk45 (resized).jpg
#121 4 years ago

An eerily long pinky finger

#122 4 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

Book was good....movie was good.

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That transformation is still incredible to watch, even today.

#124 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Great movie. I wonder how many people know or care the first one in the recent series was also a remake.[quoted image]

Fast (resized).pngFast (resized).png

roadrunner (resized).pngroadrunner (resized).png

#125 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

An eerily long pinky finger

Two in the pink, one in the ...

#126 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I absolutely did not understand Dune when I first saw it ... and even though it doesn’t live up to the books, it is great in a very weird way.

Quoted from Goronic:

Book was good....movie was good.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those "the book is better, so the movie stinks" people. The movie did a good job of telling the basic story (and Stewart, Prochnow, and others were awesome), but the film-makers tried to include the specific vocabulary and concepts from the book. Unfortunately, they didn't have the luxury of pages and pages of description, so they had to narrate explanations. For me, that just breaks the suspended disbelief that this type of movie requires to get drawn into.

#127 4 years ago

Huge John Carpenter and Kurt Russell fan here. The Thing would be awesome
Can they follow up with this Carpenter classic with a classy art style, The film delivers a ton of options for cool modes, has to have subways and the sound track must be killer.

Escape 2 (resized).jpgEscape 2 (resized).jpg

2020 Audio update

#128 4 years ago

#129 4 years ago

#130 4 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

d posyt[quoted image]

I was never a big fan of this film as others are. It has great style and terrific acting/actors, but the plot doesn't move that fast. Could have been better.

There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-thing-to-be-remade/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.