Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,550 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by NicoVolta
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

f065c571-4d48-42b0-bb09-3c0eba12b3f0_e45adf5f6bc0c5c2a30a39868f44eab6 (resized).jpg
    19C29A43-E7DC-4936-A608-01E5A7E8BAC5 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    7FE4CBEA-7690-41A8-B236-48E4A0FCC6B9 (resized).jpeg
    maginot (resized).jpg
    coway6 (resized).jpg
    coway5 (resized).jpg
    coway4 (resized).jpg
    coway3 (resized).jpg
    coway2 (resized).jpg
    coway1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1298 3 (resized).jpg
    Untitled 43 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1196 2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1074 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yelobird.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#209 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Official Membership in the SS Billiards fan club. Limited number available. Don't delay.
    LTG : )

Please PM me to get a few dozen memberships #LTG. I support those that support others.

1 week later
    #423 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

More people are asking for gift certificates to use when I reopen. I will make them available. But please intend to use them. PM me for info.

PM sent. I am not sending you a Charity we are sending you Thanks for all you contribute in kind to so many. Let’s face it, you work for and support Most All of the game companies we enjoy without a salary. Most don’t know that I suspect. You contribute from your heart and love of this hobby your parents addicted you to lol. Call it a membership, a future mug, or simply a smile owed We appreciate you and that’s all you need to know if people want to help. We Love You.
    Dave and Darcy

#424 4 years ago

To be respectful of #LTG I won’t post his PayPal address but if anyone else sees his contributions to this hobby over 40 years as a value and would like to help PM me and I will gladly provide his info. I honestly can’t think of a more valuable contributor or supporter to this hobby. And an amazing person to boot which is Rare to say the least in this hobby. Again, He is not asking for Anything from us as he never does. Just pointing out one of the few unsung hero’s of our little hobby world.

1 week later
    #461 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

The governor of Minnesota yesterday extended the stay at home and non essential businesses to May 4th.
    Which wouldn't surprise me if the non essential business closures gets extended.
    And the hits just keep on rolling.

#LTG just write the governor and remind him the definition of social distancing Is a pool hall! Players around the table are always 6 feet apart by design. Lol. Wish you the best my friend.

#464 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

3 Days of Darkness
    THE PROXIMATE SIGNS
    Here are the proximate signs in their probable order of occurrence:
    Flouting of church laws, irreverence and immodesty in church, fall in attendance at church. (These trends were observed in the 1950's, before the true Church was criminally usurped at the Oct 26, 1958 papal conclave.-ED)
    Lack of charity towards others, heartlessness, indifference, divisions, contentions, godlessness, pride in human knowledge.
    Breakdown of family life: immorality, adultery, perversion of youth via the media (e.g. homosexuals giving lectures in schools), immodest fashions, people concerned only with eating, drinking, dancing and other pleasures.
    Civil commotions, contempt for authority, downfall of governments, confusion in high places, corruption, coups d'etat, civil war, revolution. (The first four proximate signs have already come to pass, at least partly; for we are yet to see civil war and revolution in the West. But the sequence of events is not strictly chronological; there is room for some overlapping. Thus, the 5th proximate sign seems to have begun also.)
    Floods and droughts, crop failures, unusual weather, tornadoes, earthquakes, tidal waves, famines, epidemics, unknown diseases (e.g. new strains of viruses).

Why? Just why...

#468 4 years ago
    Quoted from Beaumistim:

im not a huge company, just a small mom and pop, with our Indoor Nerf Arena, but we are losing out on about 4k a week. not to mention covering all the rents for the renters in our apartments. i dont know how much longer i can go on with this thing

Sorry to hear and really hope you make it through. I am a bit curious what an indoor Nerf arena is sounds cool!

2 weeks later
    #529 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

So far our plan is that masks will be required, but gloves will not be allowed.
    Point being, aside from the horrid tactile sensation, gloves are crazy-effective germ-spreaders because they are never washed. Think about dat.
    We will require every guest to wash their hands BEFORE entering as well as UPON EXITING... that way the germs don’t make it in or out very well. And if they keep the masks on, no touching the face either.
    Which is why we also won’t be selling drinks or popcorn. We don’t want anyone touching their faces or removing their masks right now.

Very smart thinking. Way to think ahead. Do hope business can slowly return to profit again soon. Good luck.

#533 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

You can ask guests to do something before leaving but you can't enforce it. You can't imprison them and your remedy of refusing service is moot on the way out. Blacklist them? Are you identifying every patron so you know who to ban? Facial recognition maybe?
    Might as well just close the place at that point, there won't be enough patrons willing to subject themselves to that level of scrutiny.

Technically he was Trying to help them be safe. If they wish to not give a crap and go home to infect others they are dip shits anyway. He is simply making an effort to provide a fun and safe environment in Or out.

#550 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I’m in the process of determining the minimum number of open pins between players.
    One empty pin isn’t maintaining a six-foot distance.
    Two creates serious utilization problems.
    I’m lucky that my location has multiple windows. I’m going to use fans to create a wind tunnel. Although it may result in higher humidity and temperatures, it will guarantee a high level of fresh airflow... which may allow a one machine distance rule to be practical.
    Most businesses won’t have exterior windows, so I predict standalone UV + fan purifiers will become a hot item. Haven’t researched the market for these yet, but there might be a shortage if it makes the difference between being able to open and protect customers versus staying closed and not being trusted.
    Masks and that “UV glow“ + airflow will be trusted signposts for the foreseeable future. I expect to see new ad campaigns soon... “99.9% UV clean for your protection!” or some such.
    Customers will not return until they are assured of their safety. Has to be real, not merely lip service.

Love your creative though to safely reopen. Smart. Crazy thought with no suggestion but would some form of upright plastic partition (on the skipper game) between game’s quality as distancing? Kind of like the stores and post office use now? Yes it would look odd and not cheap just tossing out ideas.

#553 3 years ago

I’m envisioning a sort of open alcove in front of every game. The lexan barriers could maybe attach to something like the 8020 racks people have built for mobile streaming rigs.

I was thinking a cheap shower curtain on a electrical conduit pipe assembly you could move but yeah, just some kind of a barrier idea. Private pinball lol.

#635 3 years ago

Interesting thread. Seeing the old self service model evolve and change comes from ideas many of you are sharing. Cool to see! Never had a route or challenge like this so a few ideas that may make no sense.
    1. Most will understand you will now incur Many new business costs with likely reduced games would it be unheard of to increase gameplay costs to $2 per play? Won’t offset much loss but I would suspect many clients would understand.
    2. The handling of money I suspect may be a concern step for some. No idea how to implement but what about a currency free location. I’m guessing on the honor system with games set on free play? They hand you a 20 or CC and play the allotted games.
    3. Crazy direction... some type of low tack frisket to go over the lock bar and side buttons. Something that can be continuously wiped without destroying your expensive investment. Tear it off each night and reapply.
    4. Have some type of rudimentary sanitizer tub with bleach and water to sterilize buckets of coins. Promote that all coins were safely sterilized for the patron safety. And yours.

#686 3 years ago

So much for a rather informative thread someone left the door open again.

#713 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

What do you not understand. Businesses and people with small businesses cannot stay closed. How long do you think a bat can just stay closed and not goi out of business.

I see your thread eject time has expired to share more of your wisdom.

#722 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

OK folks, I want to try something out with you all to get your opinions. I have a problem and most of you do too. You would not be making any money if there were 6 feet in between all machines. And I wouldn't have any place to put them if I had to shelve half the machines. Leaving half the machines off or covering with a bedsheet is NOT a good look, makes it seems like an arcade with lots of broken stuff. The problem is though that people generally aren't too good about maintaining social distancing correctly.
    SOOOO, here is the thought. I believe we can make small mesh network devices on the cheap for each machine (as in less than $50 per machine and targeting more $35 - parts and maybe $10 for the effort). Those devices would a) sense when a person is in front of the machine b) communicate to the surrounding devices that a machine is being occupied c) display a red X when the machine isn't available because people on surrounding machines are too close d) when that person on the nearby machine leaves, change the display on the nearby machine to a green check mark e) if someone insists on trying to play a red X device, first warn them, and then sound a defcon 3 alarm, just loud enough for those surrounding them to hear. Step away from the machine sir .... ! Each device would know how far apart it is from other devices, or at the very minimum if it is within the 6 foot social distancing radius. It would also be self powered from a cheap rechargeable LIPO.
    The system would be automatic, adjusting real time. You get to keep all games on, you get to control spacing of people in there by the little social reminders to do so, you don't have to go around with a bullhorn telling people to spread apart, and you don't have to break your back moving out machines.
    Thoughts ?

Just a crazy question as I have not seen your layout or space but would it be possible to simply pull the games forward 2 feet from the wall and turn every other machine around 180 degrees so all machines are 6 feet apart for players position yet the backbox now becomes the spacer?

1 week later
    #792 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Only anecdotal evidence from cases of proven transmission, but in every case stagnant shared air was the culprit.
    The Chinese restaurant, the two choir groups, the sports arenas... what did they have in common? Lots of rebreathing.
    It doesn’t seem like rocket science to draw this conclusion. Especially with the skepticism of mask usage riding so high. Truth be told, common masks don’t filter virus particles and only slow the spread of COVID... not stop it.
    Fresh airflow is the big broom. We should use it.
    I hate operating in the dark. Our administration and media should be doing a lot more to help us with mitigation strategies instead of pointing out casualties and wishful thinking about going back to normal.

Did they give a time frame on opening in VA? Been hoping to make a trip to see my son in Norfolk (military) but hoped to wait until some signs of clearance were open.

2 weeks later
    #853 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Whelp gyms can reopen Friday so my son is excited to go to the Y, but we can’t open yet. It is nice to know in Maslow’s hierarchy of need arcades rank at the absolute bottom, right next to movie theaters. Good to know how essential the government feels you really are. I’m hoping June 12 and just put our reservation system live in anticipation of that. 10 people in a 100 game arcade every 2 hours is gonna be a bit depressing, but as long as we fill half the slots we break even. Ugh never have my ambitions ever been so low.

That is honestly sad and odd to hear. Every inch and piece of equipment in a gym is Covered in body fluids with ever visitor exhaling double time yet a few finger prints on a flipper button is ground zero? Odd how these rules are picked. Do hope you and all operators pull through this.

#858 3 years ago
    Quoted from rmarket:

Maybe Gyms are different where you are but the one that I go to, it is considered proper Gym Etiquette to wipe the machines down after you use them and people do.

Lol. Smearing sweat off a metal machine with a dry towel is Not disinfecting! Dry yes, virus protected no chance. How many people have you ever seen walking around a gym with a bottle of alcohol spray or wipes while working out? If all you need is a dry towel etiquette to open this arcades should be ready to go then lol.

3 weeks later
    #919 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

The awful truth: It is better to be in a space with no masks and fresh airflow than wearing masks with no airflow.
    People may be wearing masks incorrectly, but they can't control the air flowing around them and out the window.
    I sound like a broken record, but for f**k's sake, not enough guidance is being provided to our people or business entities... and we're really paying for it.
    Let's beat this. Like, lift a finger and seriously crush this crap. We have to do it.

Not sure I totally agree with this. If Covid could be defeated with a fan that would have been simple. My (guess only!) is that a fan may actually make the situation Worse. Say someone sneezed or coughed, that localized spray would for the most part settle in that 6 foot zone. Add a fan you you are basically Insuring that mist covers a Huge area of transfer as your smoke test has shown. A mask is the best possible protection consumers can do for themselves! No matter what they get on their hands or other as long as they keep it away from their face odds are they will stay fairly safe.

#921 3 years ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

This is what they are preaching here in michigan. The mask dosen't protect you, it protects people around you. If I am sick and dont know it, wearing a mask cuts down my chance of spraying droplets from 6 ft to maybe a foot.

Agreed. It sucks to wear a mask No question but it is honestly the only low cost thing you can ask (or provide) your visitors to protect your staff and others. UV lights do Nothing, blowing it around (in my opinion) simply distributes the contamination to Many more areas to clean or infect. SO can't wait for a cure for this as life won't be getting easier. Totally feel for you guys/gals doing all you can to keep Some form of business going.

#923 3 years ago

Distributing it over a larger area will also lower the density. So you would have to touch more surface to get the same viral load.
    I’ve seen no data on nicovolta ’s approach but I’m with him on the general idea.

Unfortunately we are talking about Micro particles so it’s not like you need a direct splash in the face to get infected. Best to let them settle in a smaller local space then circulate them around the room ensuring they hit everyone.

#925 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

True, but only if the air is recirculated air.
    Also, amount of viral exposure matters too. Sitting next to someone who sneezes is worse if the air isn't moving around very much.
    Worst case would be following an infected person into a plastic booth or queue where the air has been trapped. A lot of businesses are building these stagnant air chambers without knowing what's really going on.
    I have a six-fan, three baffle, one-way airflow vacuum from inside to outside. Each corner of the room has one installed. Supplementary fans break up air pockets to keep everything moving along. Basically, there is nowhere for the air to pool up and redistribute... and when it does move... it's getting blown outside.
    Combine that with masks, and it'll be about as safe as an indoor space can be, short of some as-yet unknown high-capacity UV/filtration/virus-destroying system.

It’s one thing to cough in your 6 foot space or plastic barrier area as you say, it’s a different thing to have a fan Drawing that infectious air Across every patron from that point to the air exit. If someone sneezes‘coughs in the center of a 50 foot bar they contaminate roughly that 6 foot area. Drawing it to the end of the bar with high velocity fans ensures Everyone shares that air. Kind of like the smoke test you used. If that was a fragrance incense burning or cigarette at 100 feet you would never know it. Draw All that air across the building and Everyone will breath/smell it. (Think, throwing a balloon in the air) If somehow you had these intakes across the entire ceiling drawing Up them possibly it would help as nothing and nobody would be in its transfer path.

#940 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Well I am sad to report that weekend #1 of being open has been an abject disaster. Down 95% despite two news stories, advertising on Facebook. Taken proactive measures I’ve just reduced our prices back to levels we haven’t had since we first opened a couple of years ago and will see if that spurs anything. Even if we filled every spot at that price we would break even at best. Short of that if I keep bleeding cash 3 months from now with no end in site we will cash out now rather than dig in and endure even more debt for the foreseeable future. This was a hobby and when a hobby turns into a stress factory I’m out. I have more productive ways to make money in life in an enjoyable than stress inducing manner. I did this for the community (haven’t ever made a dime and that was never the point), but the community has sent the message back that they don’t need us anymore. That fine and I understand. But all the same driving to Walmart and Lowe’s and seeing the mass of humanity, much of it without facemasks or distancing of any sort, one has to wonder at what rationale is being applied here

Dam that sucks. Do give them time though. Many have now been conditioned to Assume everything is closed. Hopefully the word will get out and the trickle will turn to a stream. Do wish you the best won't be easy no doubt.

#945 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Close it up. Sorry this didnt work out. I was rooting for those attempting a reopening but for another 12 months or so it just doesn't seem realistic.
    Pandemics just don't go away, they take years to fizzel out.

So your saying after (1) weekend and All of the work he has done to this point just give up and close?? This for certain won't be easy but to give up after All of this based on a weekend might be a bit premature.

2 weeks later
    #980 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

I say good luck to them. It’s gonna be a hard fight and I’m rooting they can find a way.
    Now for our weekly I sympathize with everyone update. Sorry in advance for the length but lots has happened.
    As for us, again in complete transparency as a window into all of this, our average attendance is about 5 per session, which means I probably have to limit the hours even more to lower labor costs not being covered by attendance. To date just $3600 for the month, ugh not good. Private bookings are holding us up for now. $200 for 2 hours up to 25 in there at one time.
    The next step here is to liquidate the games in storage so as to also liquidate the storage cost per month. That was kinda being planned anyway as it’s just throwing money away to let games sit there. Goal is to get basic rent and utilities down in the $2250 a month range and pay down some of the outstanding debt.l (not much thankfully)
    Looks desperate, but really not quite that. If I can keep total operating expenditure below $35K for the year (and one easy way is to just temporarily close and pay rent on the place as if it’s storage), we will survive even if in hibernation.
    After having driven thru Ohio last week, an arcade in Cincinnati has more chance of succeeding than Virginia. Bigger town, very sparse mask wearing there from my limited sampling, which means people perceive less risk. I’m not sure that in the aggregate is a good thing for all of us given it means more covid spread, but to solve an acute cash crunch it might suffice for them.
    It does not help that our mitigation measures were undertaken in a scorching heat wave. If you are going to make your space equivalent to being outdoors by rapidly bringing air in and then out, expect the temp to reflect that. Set up an outside misting tent to help (and it did)
    Oh also doesn’t help that an employee I paid thru the entire pandemic while we were closed, up and quit 20 min before their shift. Agitation with other employees (the source of the issue) is unfortunately common when things aren’t going well
    This probably sounds just depressing. I suppose it is. But this business has been here in this position before less than 18 months ago so I am perhaps a bit more prepared to weather this, and more used to expect struggle than brief success. Part of not throwing in the towel is learning how to deal with adversity. That’s true even if the only lesson here may be to recognize I should have thrown in the towel earlier.
    Onward we march. Got a bunch of games that decided to dump on us probably because of heat and not being played for several months. Also have no repair crew to handle most of it since they have sequestered at home (and I can’t blame them for that)
    One thing you WILL NOT see me do is put up a damn GoFundMe (unlike that other thread). As long as I have games to sell, no call for any charity here.

Your strength and drive to stay alive is amazing and I sincerely wish you the success you deserve. ALL of the business owners reinventing their business model to survive this uncertain times are a testament to strength and the American dream. I so hope to visit your place some day in the near future. Keep strong.

1 month later
    #1061 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

WSLS 10 was here this morning... at 4:30am! Way early, but we covered pinball, arcade games, and our shutter fan system. Then, back to bed!
    https://www.wsls.com/news/local/2020/08/20/having-fun-while-staying-safe-at-roanoke-pinball-museum-and-starcade/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=snd&utm_content=wsls10

That is Awesome and Sincerely hope with all you have done to make this work that it rewards you with a rush of new customers Confident in a safe and enjoyable outing! Small (yet huge) steps like this can Hopefully quickly spread the word of confidence. Best of luck to you and your crew.

1 week later
    #1091 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Yes, being a little overdramatic here. Let me put it in more messy terms. Walmart = "Well I need to get that (name product) for (name person), guess I need to go to Walmart. " OR Lowes = "While I'm sitting around the house most of the time I should probably fix that leaky faucet and spruce up the yard some. Won't have to be in there too long." OR Arcade = "Ya know I'm just not ready yet, is this something we really have to do or can we wait until we hear there is a vaccine." OR Restaurant = "As long as I'm sitting outside I've heard its pretty safe." I'm not making fun of any of this, but I think it pretty well captures what the general sentiment is. I can't change that. Human beings are terrible at judging absolute relative risk for anything they do. Statistics just befuddle us. What I am saying is that since I had an ethical responsibility to keep people coming in as safe as I can while at my place (as a physician) we went beyond the extra mile. That process has not permeated yet into general sentiment about my business as indicated by being down 70%. And honestly, it would be silly for me to think it would. Its likely helping a little, but I don't think it was a winning business strategy yet.
    But yeah, there is a part of me that is still nevertheless irked by this all, where other big box businesses have showed no leadership here beyond posting signs in their store to stay 6 feet apart. Yes, I give Walmart credit for finally requiring masks. THAT was a big concession on their part. Especially with their rural locations that lost them a fair share of customers. I am however underwhelmed at general corporate America's response here. They play more towards servicing general sentiment than they do leading the way. Big box stores will for sure implement measures, make policy changes, but it is usually only when negative publicity hits them or they see a diminution of their bottom line. Nobody said they had to have social responsibility - they are a disembodied corporation after all - but that's kinda the problem. I think they mostly feel you need to "look like" you have social responsibility. You don't get rewarded by your shareholders for having social responsibility, just keeping up profits. Even some local theaters are seeing what they can minimally get away with to make people feel safe. "We will exit the theater single file and put two seats between you and the next patron" .... uh what about the airflow in the place, and the seat behind me... is that 6 feet apart ?
    Sorry its just a meaningless rant, and off topic, and my intention is not to start up some general COVID thread. All I will say is we spent over $10K on new safety measures, when our income is likely coming in at $60K this year. I would have done it all over again even seeing the outcome thus far. One can either say that was just stupid on our part, doesn't make financial sense (and I agree with that sentiment too). OR one can say that other than throwing their pandemic response to their marketing departments, we haven't seen corporate america really take this very seriously yet.

Fully understand the rant and being upset granted I’m not sure the comparison of people choosing to go Eat or maintain their home is comparable to the necessity to go play a pinball machine?? I will venture out prepared to obtain food for my family (necessary risk), I will not however lock myself in an escape room because it’s something I must do. Hope things turn around soon.

1 month later
    #1218 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

Chicago is closing down again. 47 states have an increase in positive tests. Ga. + tests are up 15% this week.

Yeah some areas just refuse to face facts. Wisconsin is up 44% Yikes!

image012 (resized).pngimage012 (resized).png
    2 weeks later
    #1260 3 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

9:59 air is safer than 10:00 air too.

Air shouldn't be an issue at SS Billiards Lloyd is FULL of hot air!! lol Love you #LTG

1 month later
    #1350 3 years ago
    Quoted from pingod:

I feel your pain.
    The casino where I have my games is closed again.
    Minimun 3 weeks for now.

Interesting location well done! Only wish more casinos would do that. Love an option to loose a dollar yet feel I Enjoyed it lol.

4 weeks later
    #1393 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_ric:

That's great news! Will still be sending you some cash here in the near future anyway though. Probably after the 15th after I get paid and pay my current CC bill. I've decided I'm sending you any stimulus money I get from the government. I have been and continue to be employed with a very well paying job so I definitely do not need it and it should go to someone who does need it.

Let me just say Wow that is a sincerely stand up Wonderful thing to do! There are Many who were and continue to be Strongly hit by this shut down and seeing people like you take a stand to help others is just Dam Awesome. Good Karma to you always! There are Many in this thread we love to support and #LTG is for sure a Very deserving and wonderful person.

4 months later
    #1457 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Today the face mask mandate was lifted by Minnesota.
    Now I hope for light at the end of the tunnel. And no relapse and everything goes bad again.

Shame, you look better behind a mask! lol Heres hoping your business makes a Huge come back!!!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yelobird.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-temporarily-closed-my-arcade-thread-?tu=yelobird and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.