Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,550 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by NicoVolta
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

f065c571-4d48-42b0-bb09-3c0eba12b3f0_e45adf5f6bc0c5c2a30a39868f44eab6 (resized).jpg
    19C29A43-E7DC-4936-A608-01E5A7E8BAC5 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    7FE4CBEA-7690-41A8-B236-48E4A0FCC6B9 (resized).jpeg
    maginot (resized).jpg
    coway6 (resized).jpg
    coway5 (resized).jpg
    coway4 (resized).jpg
    coway3 (resized).jpg
    coway2 (resized).jpg
    coway1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1298 3 (resized).jpg
    Untitled 43 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1196 2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1074 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicovolta.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#502 4 years ago

I'm expecting to enact something like this once we are ready to reopen:

1. All staff and guests must wear a mask.
    2. No gloves allowed, but everyone must wash their hands before entering and upon exiting.
    3. Windows will be open and fresh air circulated as much as possible.
    4. Limited maximum admissions.
    5. Cannot play a game adjacent to anyone. Must have at least one empty game in between.
    6. Temperature might be taken at the main building entrance (not done by us).
    7. Anyone coughing or obviously not feeling well will not be admitted.

I really don't see any other way to do it... and I might have missed something as-is. Just trying to figure this all out and maximize safety.

One big problem is mask availability. Supply chain is nowhere near where it needs to be.

1 week later
    #526 3 years ago

So far our plan is that masks will be required, but gloves will not be allowed.

Point being, aside from the horrid tactile sensation, gloves are crazy-effective germ-spreaders because they are never washed. Think about dat.

We will require every guest to wash their hands BEFORE entering as well as UPON EXITING... that way the germs don’t make it in or out very well. And if they keep the masks on, no touching the face either.

Which is why we also won’t be selling drinks or popcorn. We don’t want anyone touching their faces or removing their masks right now.

#532 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Might as well just close the place at that point, there won't be enough patrons willing to subject themselves to that level of scrutiny.

House rules. Take it or leave it.

Americans don’t like being told what to do, but compromise means occasionally taking one for the team.

If it’s for the greater good, that’s how we roll.

People want assurances of their safety.

Which is more important? Protecting our guests with a little extra hassle, or upholding someone’s right to remain filthy and endanger themselves and others?

If the latter is someone’s persuasion, we don’t need their business right now.

#537 3 years ago

Gotcha. Luckily we aren't Wal-Mart.

Roanoke is a small town. It won't be a problem here. Our citizens and guests are generally very polite and friendly and will be happy to have something fun to do. I doubt they'd risk future non-admittance by staging some sort of weird lazy "germ protest" at our exit.

People who steamroll their way through life around here tend to rack up a poor reputation fairly quickly. Goes with the territory.

Austin might be a different story. Much bigger population & lots of college kids. Inevitably higher odds you'll run into some folks who haven't shaken their entitlement mentality.

Best way to deal with troublemakers is proactively (and nicely). We state our house rules at the door before admittance. Gives us an out if we need it... "We warned ya!".

Only had to throw out one person thus far, and he knew he wasn't supposed to be here anyway.

#543 3 years ago

I’m in the process of determining the minimum number of open pins between players.

One empty pin isn’t maintaining a six-foot distance.

Two creates serious utilization problems.

I’m lucky that my location has multiple windows. I’m going to use fans to create a wind tunnel. Although it may result in higher humidity and temperatures, it will guarantee a high level of fresh airflow... which may allow a one machine distance rule to be practical.

Most businesses won’t have exterior windows, so I predict standalone UV + fan purifiers will become a hot item. Haven’t researched the market for these yet, but there might be a shortage if it makes the difference between being able to open and protect customers versus staying closed and not being trusted.

Masks and that “UV glow“ + airflow will be trusted signposts for the foreseeable future. I expect to see new ad campaigns soon... “99.9% UV clean for your protection!” or some such.

Customers will not return until they are assured of their safety. Has to be real, not merely lip service.

#560 3 years ago

Plastic partitions are an interesting idea, but a bit too “medical”. Might make the room look like an ICU. They’d only protect you from a side-sneeze or heavy breathing... and each would require a dedicated fan to keep the airflow moving.

Since maximum attendance will be an issue regardless, I think maintaining at least one empty game in between would accomplish the same goal without the spookiness.

I predict pinball (for now) will only succeed within controlled environments with hand-washing and airflow protection upon entry and exit. No one will want to drop money into “unprotected” machines randomly sitting alone on location. Visitors want to be assured they are stepping into a controlled zone for their fun.

It’s actually worse for barcades/breweries because it is risky for people to be touching glassware/food to their lips while playing bare-handed. I won’t be allowing any eating or drinking within our “shared touch zone” for this reason... only before or after entry.

This will cut into our concession sales a good bit, but there’s no alternative. Consumption means no masks and things touching your lips/face. Whereas sharing touch means masking up and high airflow/purification.

No in-between.

Barcades and breweries should plan to zone off their games and require hand washing at entry/exit. I don’t think consumption and shared touch can be safely mixed. Fingers on masks, masks being removed/put back on, won’t work. Has to be either/or.

#655 3 years ago

Echoing what Gov. Cuomo said... there may be a risk admitting people coming from high-infection zones looking for escapism.

Should this be a concern? If so, what would the solution be? "Please present your DL. All zipcodes beyond 100 miles will not be admitted at this time."

Fun fun fun :/

#673 3 years ago

Location, population density, and nearby competition matter when it comes to sustaining memberships.

You might make more money if you charge less! Think Netflix: Guests will keep it active even though they rarely use it due to the low price. Whereas if you have a big ask up front, few will pay, and even fewer will renew.

Our sponsorships might be the lowest of any pinball venue on the planet: $12.50/month individual, $18.50/month family (two adults, up to four kids max age 17).

Priced out for a year, that means a family of five would have to visit the museum four times in a year to break even (compared with single admission tickets).

HERE'S THE MATH: Does a typical family visit every three months without fail? NO. Maybe once or twice per year.

Aha! Trickle-charge your way to success.

True, some people will be heavy repeat visitors, but some will hardly use it at all. Doesn't matter. The price is low enough that everyone gets to be a supporter of the museum and receive special thanks, exclusive sponsors-only parties, and random gift swag... and will more likely want to keep supporting you rather than figure out how to abuse the system.

Furthermore, if you sell concessions, more people in the building = more food and drink sales.

HOWEVER - NOW THAT COVID19 IS A FACTOR MY WHOLE BUSINESS MODEL IS ADAPTING.

I hate "play for time" models... but it might be possible to create two-hour play brackets: 1pm-3pm, 3pm-5pm, etc. It would prevent overcrowding or selling out, people could plan their arrival without clogging up the hallways, everyone clears out at the same time... no tapping players on the shoulder, Vegas style, "Hey mac, you just played your last hand"... ugh. Don't do that to your customers.

#695 3 years ago

Appreciate sharing your shopping list, Pooky. Would not recommend the ozone generator. Potentially harmful and won't be effective against coronavirus.

Also recommend checking out the Coway AP-1216L: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KGR2EUU

#703 3 years ago

The vertical plastic sheeting trend is awful. It traps airflow and makes the restaurant/arcade look like an ICU.

The answer will be certified air filtration and high fresh airflow. Like ERV units on steroids. Perhaps with ducting and fans everywhere.

Restaurants and bars are in a much trickier situation because you can’t eat and drink with a mask on. Real tough.

It’s gonna be rough for a lot of businesses. Worse also because a lot of folks understandably aren’t going down without a fight... which will mean business as usual for a couple of weeks before the second wave hits.

Buckle up. Many infection curves have not yet peaked. If we open at the crest with every state and business doing things their own way... we’ll easily go over 100k deaths by summer, if not enter a whole new much darker paradigm as with the Spanish Flu. The second summer wave was by far the worst.

Masks on, high CFM constant fresh airflow or certified air purification, no gloves, no eating or drinking in the touch zone, wash hands before and after entry.

Not a pretty recipe, but it’ll be about as safe as it gets for the moment.

#705 3 years ago

My opinion = creating a plastic air booth around each game is worse than none at all... because if you are waiting to play a popular game and the person ahead of you has COVID, you’ll be stepping right into their private little exhale chamber.

Fresh airflow and filtration you can hear, see, and feel will be a really big deal when it comes to customer confidence and actually having an impact on the virus.

#730 3 years ago

I won't turn machines off or take them out of rotation. Instead, every guest will be informed of the distance rule: Keep two machines apart from one another (six feet) at all times.

People would rather hang around and wait for a game they like versus "guaranteed zero access" during their stay. Also, a 66% powered-down arcade is just sad.

Our admission policy will only allow 10 (or so) people during each two-hour time slot. Enough space for everyone to maneuver.

Now, if a couple or family arrives, they won't have to distance from each other... only the other guests. Bit of an honor system thing here, but I don't see a way around it. I'm not going to ask people who live together to keep their distance in addition to the whole mask/handwashing rigamarole.

#758 3 years ago

Avoiding "safety theater"... exactly. Should we duct tape all player 2 buttons & guns & joysticks? Turn off or remove half of the games?

I don't think so. It's an arcade. Unless the business model changes (which basically means any business where things are touched), it is what it is.

Fresh airflow, masks, and sanitizing hands in/out of the 'touch zone' will be the standard many businesses will end up following.

If that doesn't work, perhaps the business can't work. :/

#764 3 years ago

Will everyone be required to wear a mask?

#767 3 years ago

Not trying to nag... just raising awareness of the fact that the biggest COVID transmission risk is sharing breathing space without a mask.

Especially true in rooms without continuous fresh airflow from outdoors and/or without active filtration specifically rated for SARS/virus removal.

Which would be most everywhere right now. :/

It is a weakest link situation. One infected person in a room without a mask substantially increases the risk for everyone else... even if they have masks on. Unless they have a full-face respirator/N95 equipped which they most likely will not.

With the risk of asymptomatic transmission and delayed onset by up to two weeks... can anyone truly be safe if masks are not mandatory for everyone?

#770 3 years ago

Another caveat: Masks and respirators with vents (exhaust ports) do nothing to filter exhaled air. Beware.

We won’t allow the use of vented masks or respirators.

“Unless everyone is wearing a mask, nobody is.”

#774 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

80% of the people that I see here are not wearing it and I have seen people leave stores that demand a mask.

I was wondering if this chart had any street-level corroboration. Guess so. :/

69851C6B-ABB5-49AF-85C8-7FA0BBAC8A08 (resized).jpeg69851C6B-ABB5-49AF-85C8-7FA0BBAC8A08 (resized).jpeg
    #776 3 years ago

Edit: Plan is being refined and improved by the day.

#778 3 years ago

True. Temperature guns aren’t a catch-all... but at least they flag that variable at the door.

Goal: Make it nigh-impossible to catch COVID using every reasonable means possible.

#783 3 years ago

Edit: Plan is being refined and improved daily. Too much to discuss for the moment.

#786 3 years ago

Do you have the data on that Nic? You're the only person I've heard mention it.

Only anecdotal evidence from cases of proven transmission, but in every case stagnant shared air was the culprit.

The Chinese restaurant, the two choir groups, the sports arenas... what did they have in common? Lots of rebreathing.

It doesn’t seem like rocket science to draw this conclusion. Especially with the skepticism of mask usage riding so high. Truth be told, common masks don’t filter virus particles and only slow the spread of COVID... not stop it.

Fresh airflow is the big broom. We should use it.

I hate operating in the dark. Our administration and media should be doing a lot more to help us with mitigation strategies instead of pointing out casualties and wishful thinking about going back to normal.

#787 3 years ago

I expect in the near-ish future we may even see green stickers on business windows... “USDAC Certified 5x Airflow” (a new Department of Air Circulation?)

#793 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Did they give a time frame on opening in VA? Been hoping to make a trip to see my son in Norfolk (military) but hoped to wait until some signs of clearance were open.

I’m anticipating we will be included in Phase II. Dates haven’t been established yet, but I’m staying tuned. Will update our website when the time comes.

#795 3 years ago

I’m working on an amusing safety video w/a touch of Ren & Stimpy humor.

Laughter is still the best medicine.

#797 3 years ago

I nominate Air Man as head of the USDAC!

43BC95E7-5D0B-440B-B112-3A9CE8EF0CAE (resized).jpeg43BC95E7-5D0B-440B-B112-3A9CE8EF0CAE (resized).jpeg
    #801 3 years ago

“Free society” is always a matter of interpretation. It’s not a slippery slope. We always have to balance the pros and cons.

Pure freedom is anarchy. Doesn’t work out well for most folks.

Anyway... back to the discussion... anyone open yet or opening soon?

#814 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

When I wear a mask I tell patients that I do so more to protect them, than myself.

I am having custom masks made for all of our organizations in this style:

DC72CAC4-2750-4E2D-8EB1-E8206F58D81F (resized).jpegDC72CAC4-2750-4E2D-8EB1-E8206F58D81F (resized).jpeg

84BB6035-0A71-4022-AA60-825A22782E44 (resized).jpeg84BB6035-0A71-4022-AA60-825A22782E44 (resized).jpeg

This is important for building trust and showing that you are taking this seriously.

1E0CA96F-D0E5-4B4F-B754-E7B7A4AD946A (resized).jpeg1E0CA96F-D0E5-4B4F-B754-E7B7A4AD946A (resized).jpeg

Actually our logo looks pretty cool on these! I’m glad we will be able to convey a sense of competency and back it up with a virus mitigation strategy that works.

1 week later
    #835 3 years ago
    Quoted from GamerMD:

I'm driving down to FL next week from DC.. Anyone know if any arcades or barcades are open yet in any of the southern states (SC, GA, FL). I wouldn't mind making a quick side trip from 95 if anything's open.

We’re still waiting on the official word on Phase Two businesses... but we’re standing at the ready nonetheless.

BF26ACD9-4A40-40A6-8606-88FEBA03FE35 (resized).jpegBF26ACD9-4A40-40A6-8606-88FEBA03FE35 (resized).jpeg
    #847 3 years ago

*gasp* Musee Mechanique is in trouble. Please donate and share if you can.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/musee-mecanique

#861 3 years ago

Yep... can't believe we aren't in Phase 2 when small rooms with sweaty people violently inhaling and exhaling made the cut.

The science does not follow.

Regardless, we are now as safe as any indoor place can possibly be. Masks for everyone, sanitizer, limited attendance, and six exterior shuttered fans around the perimeter will ensure continuous one-way airflow which is the primary COVID risk factor by far.

Fingers crossed. I worry as the numbers continue to spike, we won't get to Phase 3 at all. Or, that we open for a week before everything closes again like in South Korea. One infected person spread it to 50 others in a single bar. Again, airflow airflow airflow.

1 week later
    #887 3 years ago

Agreed with Pooks... science is not driving this, but payola certainly seems to be. Gyms should be Phase 10 based upon the amount of indoor huffing and puffing and sweating. I mean, dude, come on.

Exterior air baffles going in this week. Dual-fan with aluminum shutters and smoke-checked for airflow certainty. We'll probably be the safest joint in the state. I won't subject my guests and employees to preventable risks, period.

baffle (resized).jpgbaffle (resized).jpg

#893 3 years ago

Doot de doo...

4DB4E173-560F-47D3-B117-96FA34E10C6B (resized).jpeg4DB4E173-560F-47D3-B117-96FA34E10C6B (resized).jpeg

Of course, an arcade is probably more like a bowling alley than a library... but still! Way below gyms.

Pardon... this is a stupid list. A lot of it depends upon airflow which isn’t being taken under consideration. *facemaskpalm*

#898 3 years ago

Shields up!

9868916E-0CDF-40D3-9684-989EE5E15A6E (resized).jpeg9868916E-0CDF-40D3-9684-989EE5E15A6E (resized).jpeg

00A97E29-B1E7-47D4-8B4A-7D37AC420A20 (resized).jpeg00A97E29-B1E7-47D4-8B4A-7D37AC420A20 (resized).jpeg

(the clamps are temporary... getting better ones ASAP)

#910 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

There is a strong suspicion that we will be last to open and first to close in Virginia. I give us 2 months before the numbers get too high and we go back into hiding. We will do our part requiring masks for entry, but we obviously can’t control the rest of the world around us. I suspect arcades in Florida, Texas, Arizona wont remain open for long unfortunately.

I’m having the same suspicions. :/

Nevertheless, the safeguards continue. Today... smoke checks from every standing location. Auxiliary fans will be deployed to break up any dead air spots.

B70A3597-6C02-46F5-BE2C-5C1A3EB79794 (resized).jpegB70A3597-6C02-46F5-BE2C-5C1A3EB79794 (resized).jpeg

#915 3 years ago

The awful truth: It is better to be in a space with no masks and fresh airflow than wearing masks with no airflow.

People may be wearing masks incorrectly, but they can't control the air flowing around them and out the window.

I sound like a broken record, but for f**k's sake, not enough guidance is being provided to our people or business entities... and we're really paying for it.

Let's beat this. Like, lift a finger and seriously crush this crap. We have to do it.

#917 3 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

Put wheels on the machines and wheel them into the parking lot, ain’t gonna get air fresher then that!

We considered it. The market square is just outside our front door.

But... sunlight, rain, birds, stuff, eh. Desperate times, desperate ideas.

#924 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Unfortunately we are talking about Micro particles so it’s not like you need a direct splash in the face to get infected. Best to let them settle in a smaller local space then circulate them around the room ensuring they hit everyone.

True, but only if the air is recirculated air.

Also, amount of viral exposure matters too. Sitting next to someone who sneezes is worse if the air isn't moving around very much.

Worst case would be following an infected person into a plastic booth or queue where the air has been trapped. A lot of businesses are building these stagnant air chambers without knowing what's really going on.

I have a six-fan, three baffle, one-way airflow vacuum from inside to outside. Each corner of the room has one installed. Supplementary fans break up air pockets to keep everything moving along. Basically, there is nowhere for the air to pool up and redistribute... and when it does move... it's getting blown outside.

Combine that with masks, and it'll be about as safe as an indoor space can be, short of some as-yet unknown high-capacity UV/filtration/virus-destroying system.

#929 3 years ago

Yes, an even more ideal solution would be individual air ducts above every patron. Which is not logistically possible within any business I can think of.

Have you seen the videos depicting how quickly a cough distributes microparticles within a room (or an airplane cabin)? The cloud does not remain within a neat little six-foot area. It gets churned up very quickly with people walking by, drafts, the cough/sneeze itself, etc.

The problem remains a problem: Infected people spread particles.

True, blowing those particles around makes them spread more quickly, but at a much lower concentration rate due to dispersal. If they're heading for an exit path, all the better. This is a good thing. Likely the difference between one person catching it vs. an entire roomful.

Here is a fun (if complicated) tool provided for free by our tax money: FaTIMA (Fate and Transport of Indoor Microbiological Aerosols)

https://pages.nist.gov/CONTAM-apps/webapps/FaTIMA/

A preliminary run of our space combined with the airflow plan looks pretty darn good. 4800 CFM exhaust = 288,000 cubic feet per hour. Divided by 36,000 total cubic volume represents 8x total room air exchanges per hour.

Official building code only requires businesses to maintain one air exchange per hour. New Covid guidelines are recommending three. Right now, ours is nearly three times that new recommendation.

As such, over 92% of particles go out the door during a typical two hour visit with one constant source and one intermittent burst source. Not bad.

fate (resized).pngfate (resized).png

Your point about sideways airflow isn't falling upon deaf ears. I'll adjust the auxiliary fans toward the ceiling and then across/down to the exit baffles. This should add even more safety. Of course, we'll verify it.

#933 3 years ago

*claps*

Cheers to innovating for safety! Now if only we could get bars and restaurants to implement something like that...

#953 3 years ago

We've had a steady trickle come in since opening on the 1st. Only a fraction of normal capacity during high tourism season (maybe 20% at best), but nonetheless encouraging to see the lights and hear the bells again.

Limiting to 12 attendees per two-hour session inside the museum. Masks required. Two-machine distancing required. Hand sanitizing required at entry and exit. Daily sanitizing of all touchable surfaces (staff equipment and phones too). Plexi ticket screen for front desk. 4800CFM exhaust fan baffle system doing its job with at least 8x indoor airflow turnover per hour. Building is doing temperature checks at the main entrances. No eating or drinking allowed inside.

I don't blame people for staying at home. Nevertheless we are remaining vigilant and making it as difficult as possible for the virus to get in here or spread to others.

Just have to hang on and get the worst of this behind us... fight on!

pinhand (resized).pngpinhand (resized).png

(yes, this sculpture is just down the street)

#958 3 years ago

Partitions make great sneeze guards, but poor virus cloud guards.

Breeze it out, or breathe it in.

#961 3 years ago

Without smoke checks, you may not be certain airflow is moving evenly.

Even with tornado-level airflow if you have cross-currents coming from overhead AC systems and unusual nooks and crannies it could create air loops which feel breezy but only end up recirculating the air.

Smoke checks also help with optimizing fan placement. I didn’t “need” them considering our 4800CFM rating and relatively small interior volume, but nevertheless it helped fine-tune the system. So why not use it?

Usually it is best for the air to flow through the room like an arrow than an octopus. At least that was true in our case.

Regardless, very glad you’re putting some muscle into clearing your indoor air. It’s a must.

2 weeks later
    #988 3 years ago

Dang... only heard heaps of praise for Lyons and was hoping to pay a visit someday. :/

17 years is a good run. I only wish the shutdown was on your own terms vs. the pandemic. 2020 sucks.

#1005 3 years ago

We’re nowhere near our usual summer blowout attendance levels, but we’re keeping the lights on and the guests safe and happy.

Today was busy enough to announce a socially-distanced competition. The winner got a free game on our Safecracker which dispenses custom RPM souvenir tokens (alas, they came within two spaces of the vault).

So far, so good.

0378F719-FDAC-4E8D-B983-20D765536D86 (resized).jpeg0378F719-FDAC-4E8D-B983-20D765536D86 (resized).jpeg
    #1011 3 years ago

Appreciate the updates Pook... all we can do is hang tuff and be serious about safety until things improve.

I went to a local bowling alley this evening to celebrate a friend's birthday. I brought a full P100 respirator instead of my RPM mask, because I suspected there would be poor airflow, a lot of people inside, a lot of those people not wearing masks, and the rest of the people not wearing them properly.

Which turned out to be exactly how it was.

Lots of signs: Masks Required. Lots of nag screens on every bowling screen: Masks Required. All ignored.

I saw plexi panels around the cash register and bottles of hand sanitizer on various tables.

Did not believe any type of air exchange system was in place.

Not good enough. Do everything right, or don't do it at all.

#1014 3 years ago

Excellent work Pooks. The "airflow knowledge" is finally trickling out and you're doing all you can to protect your guests FOR REAL vs. "safety theater". Will be to your credit as we progress through this horrid year and beyond.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/07/why-arent-we-talking-more-about-airborne-transmission/614737/

I'm very lucky in the sense that RPM is located within a large downtown building with mask requirements enforced at the main entrances. By the time any guests arrive at my museum (on the second floor), they have no excuse not to be masked up. Cuts way down on the enforcement though occasionally I will politely nag individuals who let it slip.

Zero tolerance here. Play safe or not at all. Our guests WANT a safe environment they can trust. How horrible would it be if someone died because "following the rules was, like, such a bummer!"

Did I mention 2020 sucks? 2020 so seriously sucks.

#1015 3 years ago

New Wired article: Cheap air mitigation tech seems legit! MERV13 + rubber bands + fan = worth a shot.

7F4670DE-0E69-4A90-AC72-83B3153490C7 (resized).jpeg7F4670DE-0E69-4A90-AC72-83B3153490C7 (resized).jpeg
    2 weeks later
    #1066 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

So private rental is accounting for 1/3 of our receipts right now. Yes there is a value to having this .
    As to movie theaters don’t get me started. One can review most of their “we are keeping you safe” pages. Not one mention of the word airflow anywhere on these pages. Same goes for every other business out there. I get, you are making us wear masks and encouraging us to stand (or sit) 6 feet apart. The AIR people, what are you doing about the air in there (or any restaurant for that matter). I just sit here scratching my head. Either a) they don’t know (find that hard to believe for a large Corp) b) they aren’t being mandated to do it and their customers ain’t complaining because they know no better c) they don’t think they can afford to do anything (on which I call complete BS - if my arcade earning $1500 a week can afford to put in not one, not two, but three separate air disinfection procedures so can they, no excuse)

Kudos for leading the charge. Indeed, everyone should be paying attention to the room they are in and the amount of air turnover per hour... if any is being done at all!

I am now giving masks to guests who are not wearing "qualified gear". Neck gaiters and bandanas and thin homemade fabric = not a mask.

Also have to remind people to keep their noses covered. This is getting to be more of an issue lately.

"Do it right, or don't do it at all"

#1077 3 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Corona-talk just cant be contained, I guess. You guys are fucking annoying....
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread

No, the *virus* is annoying. We are trying to stay in business and protect our guests.

Play more pinball. Wear a mask.

#1078 3 years ago

Seems the “neck gaiter” issue -MAY- not be as critical as once believed. I’ve been sent a few conflicting articles. Still sorting out the data & sticking with masks until the science settles out.

Science has a tendency to piss off those with lazy minds... because dealing with constant change is hard, and hard often loses to simplicity regardless of the truth.

Hence, the perpetual need to fight for what’s right. Applause to all of you who do just that.

#1094 3 years ago

I'm glad this is finally getting traction. A bit late, unfortunately... but better late than never.

Paul was quick to get on the bandwagon too. All arcade operators need to consider this. Customers want to know they are being protected and specifically how this is being done.

I'll be giving this topic a revisit during my panel at Pinball EXPO (virtual edition) next month. It'll cover RPM, "Nic's North American Pinball Tour", what's next, etc.

#1096 3 years ago

F00A5749-0C6E-48C9-9EA8-C93A17B7E6EC (resized).jpegF00A5749-0C6E-48C9-9EA8-C93A17B7E6EC (resized).jpeg

Governor Northam stopped by our building today. Had an opportunity to briefly talk about our ventilation strategy.

It’s catching on, slowly but surely.

Anyway, back to business. August was notably better than July. But I don’t see enough mask adherence across the city in general... which is worrisome.

#1100 3 years ago

"stable bad"... yep. Heard that. We're squeaking by, but boy do I miss the momentum we had. It was getting really good.

Today Explained nailed it (We need to talk about ventilation): https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/today-explained/e/77424831

#1102 3 years ago

I wonder if illuminating the air filter on the air conditioners with UV light might kill any covid that got trapped in the filter?

Generally only UVC lamps will do that, and only at the right intensity. Home units typically can't do this. Some also generate ozone which must be ventilated.

Too many variables and not enough data. We need proven products which are safe and widely available. Just not there yet.

For now, ventilate indoor air, filter the room with MERV13 filtration, mask up, and keep things clean. It'll knock down Covid dramatically as well as flu & other respiratory pathogens.

#1114 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

They should and I hope they win. You can’t shut down businesses which are people’s bread and butter for a virus. Especially one with a 98% recovery rate.

We've already gone over this. Lung transplants are considered "recovered". As are people with long-term lingering conditions, lung scarring, heart damage, etc.

We don't have all of the data on this disease yet.

Broad brush "dead or not dead" statistics are not the kind of assurances most Americans want right now. But hey... we could use this opportunity to detour into the psychology of what makes state lotteries such financial cash cows despite the overwhelmingly negative odds.

Yet, people play by the millions anyway. We freedom-loving, high-hoping Americans just want what we want. Perhaps a bit too much.

Agreed though - I'd like to see more consistency in the way the restrictions have been imposed. We have enough scientific knowledge at this point to certify rooms for minimum levels of airflow and filtration at the very least. Don't shut down businesses which are legitimately keeping people safe and insisting upon mask use.

#1122 3 years ago
    Quoted from Clytor:

If you use your chimney regularly you should have it cleaned annually.

*SPIT TAKE*

#1128 3 years ago

4” MERV13 filter bungee-corded to a box fan (and seal edges with tape) will do a lot of good for not much $$$.

Can deploy several indoors and still be well under $200.

2 weeks later
    #1145 3 years ago

Update: September is typically a weak month, but it -really- sucked this month. Nevertheless pushing ahead with tourneys and party promos and the usual fixin's.

We are now in the business of selling machines, fixing client-owned machines, rebuilding them, and giving them a warranty. Roanoke Pinball Museum, Repair, and Factory Outlet.

BTW D&B was incredible in the 80's. Waitstaff bar service & ashtrays at each game. This was before the ticket-redemption craze. Was like a VIP room in Vegas.

1 week later
    #1163 3 years ago

2020 has been a dog year, and this is how the dogs are reacting to it...

#1166 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

You could put all the disinfecting fans and filters in your arcade, all the hand wipes and washing stations, give away free masks and clean after each user, charge 50% less entry fee and it's not going to unscare the public into coming out and touching all your games buttons. People are scared stiff right now because the media tells them to be.
    This virus is going to separate the arcade wheat from the chaff.

We are wheaty as hell.

How's bookings at the Oasis?

#1170 3 years ago

So glad to hear that & can’t wait to get mine up and running. Maybe by next fall.

Attic renovation is MASSIVE.

#1201 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

So can’t you sell one and bring in another new ? As I’ve reported we were forced to sell some pins (mostly in storage but some off the floor too - including our Adams) to get our debt load manageable. But honestly we hadn’t refreshed our pin lineup much in the last year. I used some of the proceeds to buy a new Avengers because we needed to freshen it up and also I didn’t want to give the impression it was fire sale going out of business time. The great thing about pins (as opposed to our videos which are seeming worth more as firewood or parts) is that they seem to hold their value well so that even if I have to liquidate the Avengers (unlikely but possible) I shouldn’t take that much of a haircut in doing so.
    Further I would suspect once winter hits (pandemic or not) you should kick back up some. We have always done well in winter. Of course blowing arctic air thru the place to keep circulation of fresh air is gonna be an interesting challenge, coat time I guess. But winter in Minnesota ain’t the same thing as winter in Virginia, that’s for sure

Our custom shutter fan ventilation array works well in Virginia temperate weather, but on the really cold days it will have to be seen whether the HVAC can keep up. Summer was A-OK.

Normally, one would use a HRV (heat recovery ventilator) system to bring in fresh air while simultaneously exhausting stale air. The system preserves the heat during the transfer, which saves the energy of reheating the incoming air.

However, I am uncertain if preserving the heat also preserves the covid during the exchange process. Which would defeat the purpose.

An interesting option is the Air King QuFresh. Only brings in outside air which is within suitable parameters, but on especially cold/humid days it wouldn't turn on at all. Think of it more like a low-cost auxiliary to other solutions (MERV13 filters, brute force shutter fans, etc). I'm going to put one in my house as a simple background air refresher.

2 weeks later
    #1222 3 years ago

Wear a mask (correctly) = protect the economy. Simple as that.

#1233 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Yes, I feel for every operator up north. People ask me how we are going to stay open when it gets really cold (an entirely relative term in Virginia compared to Canada). My answer is bluntly “wear a coat”. Funny thing is for the first year of operation we had neither heat nor AC and we just muddled thru. Now having both, the need to bring in fresh air renders them both practically useless. People ask me what can be done here for indoor businesses, and I say to invest in a lot of hepa 13 units. We have a mix of the real ones and the box fan and a MERV 13 filter. But place 20+ of these things around and we can cycle 48000 cubic feet oF air in a few minutes. Glad to hear you found a way to make it economically work for the time being. It’s all about just surviving right now

Did I share the link about the "cube fan"? Basically you make a four-sided box of filters on the intake side instead of attaching one filter directly to the fan.

#1237 3 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Interesting! Seems like a lot of additional expense and cube bulk to go from 460 fpm (single 4" filter) to 580 fpm (five 2" filters). Even if it doubled the fan motor's lifespan, box fans are $20, much cheaper than five MERV filters. There's probably some variable I'm missing.

Filters would last longer, so that's a plus. Could be outfitted to higher-output fans for more filtration or run at higher speeds.

1 week later
    #1250 3 years ago

What the hell is this? "Sitting air" is somehow safer than "standing air"?!?

#1263 3 years ago

New regulations hit Virginia today.

Public and private gatherings 25 people max. Was previously 250.

Ages 6 and up masks required indoors. Previously 11 and up required.

Violations are now Class One misdemeanors. Up to 12 months in jail, fine up to $2,500, or both.

Establishments selling alcohol must cut everyone off by 10pm.

Looks like we dodged a bullet with this one; we can remain open through the holidays. We've been maintaining a 15-person limit which is below the threshold and have long since ceased all concession sales & special event nights with alcoholic drinks.

If people had simply masked up from the get-go, we wouldn't be where we are today. :/

#1268 3 years ago

The issue is indoor ventilation and filtration. Or rather, the lack of it. That's the #1 culprit. Still not being dealt with on a national level.

You're likely safer in a well-ventilated room with no mask, than a non-ventilated one with a mask. Both is best of course.

We can require mask use, but if businesses aren't handling the indoor air issue, masks won't be enough.

A vaccine might make all of this moot in a year or two, but regardless, indoor air quality has long been ignored. Let's deal with it now. Besides, it could be an issue again when a new breathable superbug shows up.

Ventilation and filtration is also good for knocking down the other stuff... colds, flu, pollution, carbon dioxide levels, offgassing, etc.

In the meantime, get an Air King QuFresh installed in your house! Brings in fresh air whenever it is within acceptable humidity/temp range. Cheap and effective upgrade.

#1288 3 years ago

Geez... preschool-8th grade air is safe but high school/college air is not?

Sounds like some of our local representatives are really grabbing at straws with this. They're still not getting it. We can't go bowling in a giant venue, but we can go to the corner gym where sweaty people in close proximity will be violently inhaling and exhaling??!!??

Why are we not following the science? Science always wins. Always has. Always will. Science is reality.

So, why not this?

1) Masks required indoors. Always.

2) Masks required outdoors in crowds/close proximity group activities. Otherwise recommended but not mandatory.

3) If indoor business has sufficient ventilation and/or extensive MERV13 filtration, exempt them from shutdown as long as masks stay on at all times and physical distancing/maximum capacity limits followed.

4) If masks cannot stay on at all times (like bars and restaurants), only allow them to remain open if they meet strong ventilation/filtration standards or can eat outside. Otherwise do pickup service only.

5) Essential/critical businesses exempt (of course).

Does it need to be any more complicated than this? Oh, and don't even think about going to the gym unless it is very, very heavily ventilated. Most are not. Beware.

#1289 3 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMachine19:

Sorry for those whose businesses are effected it’s terrible. I’m a big proponent of mask wearing. Been wearing them religiously, required for my job. I work at a power plant so I’m ‘essential’. We have to social distance. I have my own office. I check my temperature everyday before I leave for work. Work checks it on the way in for everybody. Wash and sanitize until my fingers crack and split like a good little doobie. Anyways I’m on day 6 of COVID. For me, it’s absolutely terrible. I’m lean. I eat healthy. I’ve never smoked anything. I hardly ever drink. I work out like a nut. 1 hour a day. And this is whooping me. 101 fever every night for some reason. Extreme fatigue. Light headed, short of breath. Now I’m coughing and sore throat. Zero treatment unless you need to get admitted. I hope none of you have to go through this.

Damn man. Sorry to hear that. Stay hydrated, all the good stuff, and keep us posted.

#1309 3 years ago

Unbelieveable loss for the entire hobby. Competitive play was driving up participation and new players. Replay was the Olympics of pinball.

With the loss of our flagship show... we’ll have to hang on and champion other venues and events.

Vegas PHOF and TPF are now top of my mind in terms of their ability to entice and recruit new players. They must not fall.

TPF will almost certainly be delayed until 2022 but they can hang on. PHOF might actually do very well if a vaccine rolls out before grand opening.

BYO shows like TPF and GOG and NWPAS etc. should survive. Replay on the other hand was sitting on a gigantic inventory all their own... wasn’t able to share the burden across the hobby. :/

Man, this really sucks. I’m just glad I got to be there and try Pinburgh at least once.

#1329 3 years ago

Got new charcoal grey and indigo tees in stock... want one? S, M, L, XL, 2XL in American Apparel tri-blend softness.

DD9A6774-2738-45A5-9821-E914D26771FF (resized).jpegDD9A6774-2738-45A5-9821-E914D26771FF (resized).jpeg
    #1331 3 years ago

Cue Queen... “I’m having such a good time, I’m having a ball. Don’t stop me now! If you wanna have a good time, just gimme a call!”

No website e-commerce yet, but I can pop ‘em in the mail and do PayPal or whatever you like.

Can also hook you up with my merchandiser if you’d like. We used to do pinball projects together... he’s as detail oriented with graphics as I am with the pinball electricals & mechanicals.

#1332 3 years ago

Meanwhile... hoo boy. Gettin’ real bad.

https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/?scale=linear

North Dakota is now the most dangerous place for Covid-19... IN THE WORLD.

Do we know of any pinball venues still open up there?

#1334 3 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

When I look at those shirts I instantly hear in my head Dennis Kriesel saying "Roanoke Pinball Museum" in a very bad accent! LOL

We have been encouraging his creativity. He's certainly running with it.

#1336 3 years ago

I can’t sell concessions in good faith right now, so I’ve been making up the difference with merch. Good merch. As a smaller museum we focus upon maxing out quality... we don’t have the floor space of huge venues.

Hats turned out really darn good.

0C0A85BF-C299-468A-A3CF-FD59BDE9CDEC (resized).jpeg0C0A85BF-C299-468A-A3CF-FD59BDE9CDEC (resized).jpeg
    #1339 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

I'll buy one if you can find a way to ship to me in Canada for less than the cost of the hat!

Should be doable. I’ll send you a PM.

We don’t yet have an online shopping cart system, but anyone who wants some of our merch just fire me a PM... thx!

#1342 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_ric:

Do you have a non-trucker version of the hat? Would be interested in one if so.

Right now this is what we have in stock. Which other style were you looking at? Send me a link and I'll see if we can get a different style made.

#1345 3 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. Will run it by my merchandiser and see if he's got something good.

2 weeks later
    #1354 3 years ago

Heck yeah, Oasis! I only wish mine was ready to go. Getting close... massive attic transformation.

#1366 3 years ago

Years ago I was shocked to learn approximately 80% of D&B's revenue was due to ticket redemption. Basically, legal gambling + skill games.

Whip up a little economic uncertainty on people and they go absolutely bananas. Use this to your advantage, folks. People love it.

I don't solicit donations for the museum. Instead, I do drawings & give out prizes for completing certain challenges.

Gameify your whole brand, not just your games. See my avatar for reference.

#1368 3 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

So I don’t drag this too off topic, do you have a link to a thread or overview on this?

Not yet. Hundreds of tabs open & constantly researching things like theme park economics and covid externalities. Hoping I'll have time to sit down and publish more video content later this year.

Best TLDR advice: Invent crazy new fun opportunities for people to win nice things (ideally with your branding on it). Take their pics & use as social media promotional content. Install a PA system and announce random challenges. I have a Safecracker machine loaded with custom minted RPM tokens... can't buy them, have to win them. Winners get posted on social media. And so forth. Keep your place alive and crackling with energy, random chance, unexpected twists and turns.

#1369 3 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

So I don’t drag this too off topic, do you have a link to a thread or overview on this?

More ideas: Build a gigantic Plinko machine with your logo on the puck. Every donation = one try. Also give every admission ticket one free try to get them started. Prizes can be branded coozies, stickers, bottle openers, mugs, tees, etc. Don't do lame things like a prize wheel. Invent something using pinball physics... that's the core of this hobby: Balls whizzing around hitting things.

#1373 3 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Token = free beer will be fun for Safecracker

I wonder what the legalities of this would be. We can give away beer, but you can't legally win beer. But if you win a token with no cash value and exchange it for a beer... hmmmmm.

1 week later
    #1378 3 years ago

Oy vey, Pooks.

We may get funding since we are actually a much larger arts & science foundation of which RPM is only a part. This was a big factor in my decision to move here after the pinball tour.

I may not have as much control as I would otherwise if I ran my own business... but the upside is the umbrella effect of a shared mission bringing people downtown to revitalize the area. When catastrophes happen like with COVID-19, the impact is shared rather than being a single knockout blow.

We will not only survive but grow to a whole new level after this is over. Count on it.

Pinball & arcades have never had a strong lobbying presence and have thus been frequent whipping boys for political sake or chronically overlooked when favors are given. It’s not right. Family amusement is a cornerstone of middle-class civic engagement... and too often taken for granted until it is gone.

1 month later
    #1402 3 years ago

Funny how the public moves in & out like the tide. We are also enjoying an unexpected boom in attendance and bookings this month. May be our best yet since reopening last July.

It's odd because the covid statistics are worse than ever and the new "super infectious" variant is only just starting to wreak havoc. My guess is that a lot of people are now totally fed up with being kept indoors and just want some semblance of normalcy back no matter what. Which I can certainly identify with. I am BEYOND TIRED of this virus... but am nevertheless staying as vigilant as ever. In fact, even moreso. Am now stacking a KN95 under my cloth mask.

C'mon vaccines... c'mon virus counts... start going down, dammit!

#1407 3 years ago

If you are a non-profit, you are allowed to hold raffles for fundraisers. However, the rules are strict and differ depending upon the state the business is located in.

Do the homework. Don’t wing it. Governments have no sense of humor about running illegal gambling operations.

3 weeks later
    #1413 3 years ago

Update: January was better, and February might be better still. The public is restless to get out and do things.

Under the newest guidelines we can allow up to 25 people indoors at a time, but we have voluntarily limited the maximum to 15 since our reopening last July. However, now that we've been selling out lately, we have raised the limit to 20.

I also traded 3 of our rebuilt but not very popular EM's (Hi-Deal, Jungle Queen, Sheriff) and 4 nice projects (Air Aces, Space Mission, Flip Flop, Miss-O) for a Black Knight Sword of Rage Premium. Always gotta keep things new and interesting for visitors. Stand still... and be left behind!

Change isn't this mysterious malevolent thing coming to rob us of the present. Change IS the present.

bksor (resized).jpgbksor (resized).jpg

#1417 3 years ago

According to the FaTIMA modeler, we are somewhere close to 8.5x ACH with all fans running. I also have interior fans targeting dead air spots/recirculating areas. By the time May rolls around, the system will have been in place for a year... wow. But I still see people around town afraid of sharing ball point pens while their masks are hanging loosely under their noses... arggghhhhh. We are still not getting it right as a nation. So not getting it.

FaTIMA link: https://www.nist.gov/services-resources/software/fatima

Smoke checks at every game is the only way to prove the system works. Rigorously test every place a visitor might stand or sit... no way around it.

Luckily, my venue is under 3500 sqft., so it isn't too difficult to test. I still want to rent a high-capacity fog machine and see how quickly it dissipates. Just for fun.

#1424 3 years ago

Last weekend was the best we've seen since the shutdown. This weekend is also proving equally strong. Not bad for February!

If we didn't have to maintain maximum occupancy limits, we'd be about where we were pre-covid. This is good news. It may mean a blowout summer season.

Nevertheless, I am seeing increased levels of mask non-compliance. Having to nag the guests more frequently as of late. SHIELDS UP, FOLKS. We're almost there for crying out loud. Don't screw it up.

That NYT interactive article is GREAT. A must-see. I'm going to repost on my FB and elsewhere.

Have also added a CO2 sensor to see what's what. Thanks again, @PinChatt! Excellent suggestion.

#1429 3 years ago

The CO2 gizmo arrived a few days ago. Useful tool & highly recommended. Thank you again, Chattanooga Dave!

Preliminary findings: In my house, indoor air worsens dramatically without ventilation! If 420ppm (uncalibrated) is the outdoor reading, empty indoor rooms read 540. In the room I am working at my desk: 675. Working out: 800+. This is *with* fans moving air and doors open to other areas of the house!!!

Sleeping in my corner bedroom with no fan, levels reached 800 with the door open! Holy frijoles! Indoor air is freakin' TERRIBLE. I don't even have any pets, kids, etc... it's just me in this 2500+ sqft house from 1925 which is hardly airtight... geez.

No wonder so many people working from home are falling asleep during meetings, etc. This has been a real eye-opener.

I'm very pleased with the results at the museum. Very, very pleased. Front desk remains around 480ppm due to the constant inflow. Inside, the levels never exceed 530 at multiple test points even with as many as 20 people present with masks. I wonder how many more I'd need to move the needle?

I know it is working because it is sensitive as heck. If I blow at it from six feet away, once, it'll temporarily spike the levels by 40ppm.

Key takeaway: Pay attention to the ppm level -->>with respect to how many people are inside<<--.

Lotta people + large room + 550ppm reading = good ventilation.

Few people + large room + 550ppm reading = not good.

It's all about how well the space is maintaining its CO2 count -->>relative to total attendance<<--.

More importantly, MY HOUSE NEEDS REMEDIATION for my own well-being! To fix this, I'm getting an Air King QuFresh mechanical ventilator installed. At $300-ish, it is far less expensive than a full-on ERV (Energy Recovery Ventilator).

The QuFresh basically turns your house into a positive pressure system, unlike running your bathroom fan 24x7 with negative pressure. It can be programmed to only pump air indoors when the air "falls within favorable criteria" which you can set yourself.

Too humid? Not humid enough? Too hot? Too cold? It'll basically stop running during those times. Otherwise... whoosh! It's a basic low-tech way to get more fresh air indoors without the expense and maintenance costs of an ERV (runs all the time).

Learning is fun!

#1430 3 years ago

On a further note, the mask-below-the-nose-nagging reached a new level. People are letting their guards down or just don't care.

I don't have that luxury.

#1432 3 years ago

Yah, I'm a bit OCD about my hobbies and interests. On the upside, it helps me function like an early warning system (canary in the coal mine). On the downside, it can lead to anxiety, excessive browser/Excel tabs, obsessive attention to detail, and the occasional diarrhea-text-dump of a Pinside reply.

Ah, life. An endless series of tradeoffs. Luckily, I know how I'm wired and when to knock it off... usually. :p

It's sad how that chart refers to outdoor CO2 being within the range of 250-400ppm. Global ppm hasn't remained between 250-275 since before the Industrial Age. Nowadays the global average is over 400 and rising steadily. Imagine if getting a breath of fresh air in the future never gets better than a stuffy living room... horrible.

Although 800ppm is nothing to freak out about, I'm considering the fact that I don't live with any pets or other people and live in an older house which is hardly airtight. Even with the door open and hallway fan spinning, that seems high enough to warrant some remediation. I'm also thinking of post-covid times of having guests over and wanting their experience to be as good as it can be. Fresh air helps me sleep and feel better and there are other aspects not being measured such as airborne dust and outgassing of all sorts from household items, plastics, furniture, carpet, fragrances, etc.

So, I guess it seems like a good time to do something about it. I do feel better after opening a window. Would be nice to have that feeling more or less consistently throughout the day.

As you mentioned, it's a wonderful tool for testing indoor ventilation. Now I'm curious to surreptitiously test other businesses...

#1437 3 years ago
    Quoted from TimMachine:

Anybody in the forum run a Pinbar as opposed to an arcade for kids? I'm wondering if it's financially viable if you don't cater to the kiddos and the birthday parties.

I was a bar owner/partner from 2005-2009. I now run a pinball museum. I've personally visited many dozens of them across the USA as well.

Key question: Will you be a bar with pins, or a pinball arcade with drinks? The business models are similar but not quite the same.

Bars are louder, messier, target the 21-26 crowd (often to the exclusion of all other age groups), make a crapload more money, and you'll have to fight more battles internally and externally. You'll want fewer pins and more EZ-maintenance profit games.

Pinball arcades are family-friendly, event-friendly, won't make as much money (some barely break even). You'll want a good variety of pins and will do more maintenance overall.

Other hybrids exist, but these are the Main Two Roads into the industry. Choose carefully.

#1439 3 years ago
    Quoted from TimMachine:

I was thinking the latter, pinball arcade with drinks. It would be located in the suburbs, so not a big twenty-something crowd.
    I'd need to keep my day job and hire someone to help run it. Then I could slide into it full time when I'm ready to retire.
    Rents around here are not cheap, so I'm not sure if this a possibility. Probably a minimum of $3k a month for 2000 sq ft.

Would likely be a labor of love in that case. Best shot for success would be to anchor it next to a pizza parlor. Could get families coming out for "pizza & pinball" nights in one stop.

Beware of anchoring next to a bar. It'll be GREAT for the bar, not for you. They make the profits and you'll babysit and clean up after the drunks wandering in who will chase off everyone else.

#1447 3 years ago

Glad to hear it Pooks. Drove through Charlottesville this evening and was hoping to stop by, but was a bit too late (picked up a Monday Night Football for the museum). Hope to stop by before too long.

4 weeks later
    #1452 3 years ago

We are blowing away our previous records for attendance! However, I am alarmed about the recent J&J vaccine halting. We need to keep new cases low if our attendance levels are to be preserved. Shields up!

Oh... here's another airflow-related tip: Buy yourself a Coway AP-1216L filter tower for your house (or business). Maybe two.

It is best practice to put a different unit in each of the rooms where you spend the most time, rather than relying upon a one-size-fits-all house unit to sweep everything up.

For the money, the AP-1216L is the best tower on the market. Cheap, quiet, attractively modern, works great, easy to clean, filter lasts a whole year, will display the red ring of death if the air quality drops:

coway1 (resized).jpgcoway1 (resized).jpg

Here's what it sucked out of my office space after a month (this is only the prefilter):

coway2 (resized).jpgcoway2 (resized).jpg

The other day I had contractors installing drywall in the attic. One of the guys left the hallway door cracked and I didn't know it, but the Coway did:

coway3 (resized).jpgcoway3 (resized).jpg

WHUTTT? RED RING? When I saw it, I looked down the hallway into the bedroom and the other one was red too! What was happening? Oh, this was happening:

coway4 (resized).jpgcoway4 (resized).jpg

They had sprayed expanding foam and were trimming it down. The particulates were especially good at redistributing themselves around the house, even through a tiny door crack. Wow. I put on my mask, positioned the towers into the hallway, and let them do the work...

coway5 (resized).jpgcoway5 (resized).jpg

Purple means better.

coway6 (resized).jpgcoway6 (resized).jpg

Back to blue. Ahhhhh.

Great little gizmo. I'd have breathed in a lot more expansion foam had they not warned me.

I won't take up the rest of your Pinside day with airflow stories. Yes, there are more up my sleeve: Mechanical ventilation units, carbon checking (it's worse than you think), HVAC air cleaners, etc. If I ever quit pinball, I might have a second career in HVAC tech. But don't ask me about niche colognes and fragrances. That has become a thing too. :p

OK, long story short, the crowds are back, let's keep the vaccinations going, and get yourself an AP-1216L or two. You will like it a lot.

1 month later
    #1466 2 years ago

Crowds are back.

No masks if vaccinated (we go by the honor system).

Air defense system still running on full blast, because extra protection is good.

Maximum inside at one time: 35.

We still do 2-hour sessions, but if we are not busy we let people stay as long as they like. Usually only Saturdays and maybe Sundays do we have to clear out every two hours to keep crowd counts down to 35.

Resuming the sale of food and drinks.

Resuming tournaments and leagues.

Selling lots of merch.

With no masks and incomplete vaccinations, our custom air defense system working in the background helps me sleep at night and feel good about the safety of my employees and guests.

Installing lots of ColorDMD's and PinSounds lately. If you can't afford new games, make the ones you have better!

Looks like it'll be a bangin' summer!

1 month later
    #1483 2 years ago

Update: The Maginot Line is not holding. We've seen covid breakouts among the vaccinated here and similar reports from nearby friends and neighbors, also vaccinated.

Personally resuming mask use and social distancing with "paranoid mode" (full respirator) for essential visits. Resuming Instacart ordering as well. Very, very glad our ventilation system continues to chug right along.

Shields to full power. No idea yet of if/when our building will reinstate mask mandates.

maginot (resized).jpgmaginot (resized).jpg

#1484 2 years ago

Update: I am hearing similar reports from friends in other states. One sent me this today: Larimer County, CO. 25% of new infections are fully vaccinated. 13% of hospitalizations and 8% of deaths were fully vaccinated. In this time, over 85% of total positive cases were Delta. All deaths were in those over 50 with the median age being 79.

Two local pals who went to a music festival last weekend just came down with 102+ fevers, coughing, and chills. Both were vaccinated with J&J. Early 40's age range. Tested positive for covid.

Another is reporting not feeling well. Also vaccinated (Pfizer). Also mid-40's. Covid results tomorrow or Friday.

Forget these "1/100,000 odds" charts. They are not accurate for Delta. I am seeing otherwise. Friends are seeing otherwise.

I've been keeping my distance from everyone, staying masked, and have adopted "2020 paranoid mode" all over again. Still feeling fine, but going to get tested tomorrow regardless.

I believe Delta is much worse than is being reported. It's not a conspiracy, but rather, the simple fact that nobody wants to be the one to pull the pin on another economic and political live grenade. Nevertheless, the data is making itself worryingly clear: Buckle up. This ain't over yet.

2 weeks later
    #1494 2 years ago

Still open, good crowds, ventilation system still running like a champ. Glad to be able to offer concessions too. New True fridge loaded with goodies (anti-plastic philosophy embraced... looking for good water alternatives Liquid Death has been mentioned but $$$).

7FE4CBEA-7690-41A8-B236-48E4A0FCC6B9 (resized).jpeg7FE4CBEA-7690-41A8-B236-48E4A0FCC6B9 (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
    #1522 2 years ago

We’ve seen a slowdown in attendance (school season) and a noticeable increase in mask wearing. But still trickling in a good number of guests on most days.

Our ventilation system is still chugging away which is a relief, but we are remaining defensive. If this isn’t Delta peak, we’re pretty close to it and expecting to remain as such until at least mid-October.

Upgraded the fridge. Fun new custom marquee. Also moved the Arnold Palmers to the $2 shelf up top. Mannequins have appeared.

19C29A43-E7DC-4936-A608-01E5A7E8BAC5 (resized).jpeg19C29A43-E7DC-4936-A608-01E5A7E8BAC5 (resized).jpeg

8 months later
    #1527 1 year ago

Every month in 2022 thus far has been a record-breaker in terms of attendance at RPM. Woohoo!

We're keeping our background ventilation system in place until covid mutates into a weaker endemic form, like flu. At which point we will switch to full HEPA filtration (our space is only 3500 sqft so it is affordable to achieve this).

It suffices to say that the Prohibition Era-rule of survival held up: Businesses which survive an industry-wide catastrophe usually become the trendsetters afterward.

1 year later
    #1542 9 months ago

I need to pay Decades a visit. Haven't seen the new location yet. While it is scary to pay more in rent... the advantage of being in a fun walkable area with lots of visitors to tempt inside is a better play than the "desert island strip mall/industrial park" strategy (unless it's a brewery).

#1546 9 months ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

High rent, low foot traffic, restrictive hours. There aren't thousands of kids running around malls like they were in the 80's. The demographics are all wrong.
    Someone tried it here in ATL recently and it didn't last long.

100%. Until malls can be re-vivified with a whole new vision incorporating places to play, live, exercise, work, and shop… there is a reason why they are dying… and you don’t want to anchor your entertainment venue to that.

Pinball has always been a “crime of opportunity”… pilfering coins from wandering strangers with some time to kill. That’s why they existed on boardwalks, piers, places with heavy turnover of new foot traffic. Including malls when they used to be the “Amazon.com” of the world before the internet.

Annnnd that’s why in my opinion THE VERY BEST play right now for someone wanting to give operating a try is in a brewery. They have ample space (which you won’t have to pay for), an excellent turnover of new people with time to kill, and the breweries themselves want to offer a unique and fun diversion to lure people away from the bars to their location.

Breweries, folks. Each brewery across America should have some pins. It’s up to us, no joke.

#1550 9 months ago

I’ve got pins in three local breweries here (luckily all of which are within 1/4 mile of each other).

Spitball estimate: Each machine is earning 25-35% of its purchase price per year.

Example: $2000 nice System 1 at 50c per play with new boards and LED’s and new parts = $600-$800 year

Not a way to get rich, but a fun way to pay for your hobby. Rule of thumb: “Route for three, get it free”

I do it mostly to build local enthusiasm for pinball. It makes a difference. Breweries are the easiest way to try your hand at routing games and creating a pinball scene.

The magic number is four. Four pins is always a party even if one goes down. Start with four.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicovolta.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-temporarily-closed-my-arcade-thread-?tu=nicovolta and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.