Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,550 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by NicoVolta
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

f065c571-4d48-42b0-bb09-3c0eba12b3f0_e45adf5f6bc0c5c2a30a39868f44eab6 (resized).jpg
    19C29A43-E7DC-4936-A608-01E5A7E8BAC5 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    7FE4CBEA-7690-41A8-B236-48E4A0FCC6B9 (resized).jpeg
    maginot (resized).jpg
    coway6 (resized).jpg
    coway5 (resized).jpg
    coway4 (resized).jpg
    coway3 (resized).jpg
    coway2 (resized).jpg
    coway1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1298 3 (resized).jpg
    Untitled 43 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1196 2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1074 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zablon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#89 4 years ago

I know it's probably impractical at this point, but much like how the internet providers are not cutting service and lifting caps during this time, I think essentials such as utilities and mortgages should also have payments deferred - or at least lowered to a point where it can be averaged in/paid over time after this. Maybe it would require some government funding for those workers to make it happen, but that really shouldn't be an issue for most citizens to get behind (since everyone has been arguing who the real americans are the last 4 years..put your money where your mouth is). It's really in the banks best interests at this point because if the majority can't pay their bills they'd rather have them pay later than default.

What I see actually happening with the feds lowering interest rates and the government stimulating the market, is the little guy being ignored. Neither of those things help the average person, the small businesses, and probably won't help the employees of major corporations either.

#97 4 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

It helps the little guy get or keep a job because companies of all size have access to low-cost, short-term lines of credit to pay suppliers and payroll, refinance their mortgage, pay less for student loan and credit card debt, etc. Also helps Local and State Governments have access to low cost financing which should translate to better services and ultimately lower taxes (but good luck with that). There will be a ton of Gov't and Corporate refinancing/bond activity. Many little guys also have pensions, IRA's, 401k's that depend on the health of the stock and bond markets. A temporary payroll tax cut would be a great next step to put money directly into everyone's pocket, versus Government trying to over engineer solutions and play favorites.

I agree with some of this, but I don't agree to the reach. It's part of it, but really still caters to the big boys. A payroll tax break is also good...if those people actually have jobs still. The big boys tend to have more wiggle room than the locals.

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jasenwm:

Sorry that so many people on here are sheep and believe the proven lying media. If this thing is so bad why isn't there ONE case in the world of a healthy person under the age of 65 dead from this? It's all people over 65 more like 80+ that have weak immune systems. Those people die of the flu and any other illness. If you have a medical issue where it affects your immune system sorry but YOU have to be careful. So what should we do never do anything ever again, no school or sports or anything ever again? This is bs liberal media hysteria plain and simple. Can't go to school yet you can go to Walmart the mall and every other enclosed place. Doesn't that kinna defeat the purpose of canceling everything?

The question I am now asking people with this mindset is: What is the magic number that have to die before you think we should take this seriously. And whatever that number is, do you think you should probably try to prevent those deaths, or just let them die, and THEN react? You could be right, this could amount to nothing. I think places like Iran and Italy show that it isn't amounting to nothing.

#107 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

The “normal” flu has killed over 20,000 this season already....to put things into perspective

So we need at least 20,001 to die first before we consider it an issue?

#109 4 years ago

Look at the numbers of how many people die each day of various forms of death, and ask yourself “why is this one more important than others”.

I have, and common sense tells me that an unknown virus with unknown outcomes is something to look at pretty closely and stop before it does get bad. The majority of those 'other deaths' are not spread to others. I think where people are getting hung up on numbers is where the mistake lies. We don't want to wait until it is as bad as the flu or anything else.

#114 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Honest question: What's your number?

I don't have a number. If the governments of other countries are freaking out about this...some of those who don't care about their citizens nearly as much as America supposedly cares about theirs, then I'm concerned.

#115 4 years ago

A drunk driver killing someone “spreads” to others

So now we're comparing it to drunk driving. Got it. That's American school system logic there.

#118 4 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

Because of the math. A "do-nothing approach" could lead to +1million deaths over the next year. The article below is the "worst-case" possibility, but that is what could happen if we don't take precautions.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/487489-worst-case-coronavirus-models-show-massive-us-toll
    I am still baffled why people think Italy, Spain, France, Singapore, and others decided to shut down their entire countries over media hyperbole. Do you think those were easy decisions? Are they playing some sort of game? How were they able to get freaking Newt Gingrich to write an article warning America to "act big" .
    https://www.newsweek.com/newt-gingrich-i-am-italy-amid-coronavirus-crisis-america-must-act-now-act-big-opinion-1492270

I think ultimately it has less to do with what they are hearing and more to do with the little selfish 'me me me' mentality that is so prevalent these days. "I don't want to have to be inconvenienced", etc. Some of it is legitimate fear of the unknown..such as, job security, paying bills, their kids, their parents etc. It's how some people deal. America's 'can do' attitude has carried us through many a crisis. There is no denying that. I think we've mostly become numb to being told what the next thing we need to fear is...I am guilty of that as well, I stopped caring about the news many years ago. I would be much less concerned about what is going on now if it wasn't for what is unfolding in the rest of the world. That being said, I'm just concerned, not nearly panicked. I think it has to get a lot worse before that happens.

#159 4 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

It depends on where you live. We've got less than 10 confirmed cases in South Dakota. Yet all schools, public events, churches, universities, and athletic clubs are closed down. And many businesses are shuttered too. For less than 10 cases! We have no curve here to flatten. Yes, eventually cases will increase, but sensible measures can slow growth. We don't need to go full "Contagion" lock-down for this. At least not yet, and at least not here.
    Why do people seem to think the only options are licking doorknobs or wearing a hazmat suit? There are measures inbetween those two extremes that can be taken. Also, just because someone thinks the COVID-19 response doesn't match the threat, doesn't mean that they're an idiot with their head in the sand. And don't hide behind the fact that cities and states have mandated shutdowns. If anyone here has actually attended city-council meetings, or watched the kind of laws that come out of state houses, then they'd know that plenty of reactionary and poorly thought-out decisions come from local and state governments.
    Our response should match the threat, and in many regions of the US, the threat is very low. Reducing interstate travel (except for commercial trucking), would seem to be a smart move to reduce the spread. Not trapping people in their homes, damaging small businesses, and causing severe financial distress, for the sake of single digit cases (in many states). But that's just my opinion! Last time I checked we're all still allowed to have those, right?

Remember that the # of cases is just confirmed cases. Testing still is minimal. Estimated numbers are that it may be much higher overall (which may be a good thing as it might mean the mortality rate is lower).

#170 4 years ago

Bars/Arcades are extremely tough to keep open even in the best of times. This certainly isn't going to bode well for them. On the flip side, if we're not on lock down people LOVE to drink during down times.

#225 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Seems like a good place to ask a question. Trying to decide if playing pinball in public is considered safe or is it a dangerous activity to be avoided for now?
    Let’s say you had an opportunity to visit an arcade with lots of pins and very few people and play for a day. You are healthy and have had no known exposure to corona. Is it dangerous to touch/play the games if you wash up before and after. Presuming nobody is going to be in your space, other than an occasional person playing beside you. You know not to be touching your face and will follow that. If you show up and the place is full of people or someone there appears sick, you are willing to turn around and drive home. What would you do?

I think your question sums up everything about this turn of events. The fact that....what 2-3 months in anyone has to ask this question explains how little we actually know about the situation we are in.

Me, I'm avoiding most crowded places. However, say like grocery stores, well you have to use them. I go late at night when they should be less busy. I'm not afraid to be near anyone or touch anything, I just make sure to wash my hands often. Being in proximity of another person doesn't guarantee exposure, but most people will not know if they have it or not. That adds to the fear. If they aren't coughing/sneezing on/near you...it's really not an issue (as we understand it). Even if they are, it still doesn't mean it is coronavirus. That being said, I won't be going out of my way to visit an arcade, bar, restaurant, etc in the near future.

I do think the higher number of people around you, the more likely it is that someone has it. Just like herpes :p

I work from home so my exposure is limited. However my wife works in retail and they are still working. I anticipate that if infection rate goes up around here, the chances of her or one of her employees contracting it will be pretty high.

#230 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Clip from BBC posted March 17 2020.
    The findings suggest the virus might last this long on door handles, plastic-coated or laminated worktops and other hard surfaces. The researchers did find, however, that copper surfaces tended to kill the virus in about four hours.

So I need to go buy all the copper bracelets and sell them at 4x the cost?

#244 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Possibly. But also moving the computer and all my resources. And I'm comfy here. Besides tech stuff, I'll find stuff to do. Freshen the place up a bit for when I can reopen.
    A little short on parts, was getting a big order ready. But thought I better wait, once things slowed and then the closings were announced. Some things are necessary, some things can or will have to wait.
    LTG : )

You can use google voice for free to forward calls - I think it does cost if you tell them it's for business, but they may wave it under the circumstances.

#263 4 years ago

I will say that many places have already put the stop to evictions, and since courts are out even if they could make a reason for it, you can't, and once things are back to 'normal' it's going to be backlogged. I would say anyone who feels they are going to be unable to pay their mortgages/rents, reach out sooner than later and work it out.

#265 4 years ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

The sad reality of it is there will be a lot of vacant buildings if this goes longer then May 1st. A few of my locations are already sweating about it 3 days into the closures. It would be in the landlord's best interest to work with tenants. I'm sure we will see some kind of relief for business owners in the form of interest free or deferred payments.

The problem is it doesn't stop and the renter/landlord...it needs to go from bottom all the way to the top. Renter -> Owner -> Bank. As I stated elsewhere at one point, banks need to give a few months leeway on loan payments, perhaps just tack them to the end of the loan or averaged out over the rest of the year, etc. Interest free. It's the ONLY thing that will help at all if this drags out. No idea how sustainable any of this is or for how long.

#303 4 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

That's what's been on my mind. It seems everyone is getting trained to be a permanent germaphobe. Part of me thinks it could completely kill location pinball (and arcades) again.

The opposite could occur, which I think is far worse. If this doesn't get 'horrible' (regardless if it is because of action taken, or it simply isn't that bad), then people are going to say this was overblown, and the next time (and there will be a next time) no one at all will take it serious.

I mean, we ban nuts due to allergies. We ban smoking because second hand smoke. etc etc. This really is just another form of those in the end. Until we know more about this than the people stating 'it's just flu', human safety is the priority.

#305 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

As others have mentioned i do not have pandrmic virus protection on my insurance.
    No rider means they wont pay.
    Thanks. Insurance company!

Was it even an option before now?

#309 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Things have been interesting so far. A little over two days into closed.
    I'm here anyway for tech support, and though closed, trying to keep similar hours so I don't mess up my noon to midnight schedule.
    Tech support has been light. With people staying home, I thought it would be busier. Scammer phone calls are about normal. A fair amount of people calling to see if I'm open. Apparently not everyone knows that most businesses were shut down by the state. They seem surprised or don't believe me ?
    I vacuumed the pool tables yesterday, they will need recovering this year, and started mopping the winter off of the floor. A slow process.
    My dog is confused. She doesn't know what happened to all her fans and chest rubs. She's barking at people more, trying to get them in I think.
    Been a few inquiries if I'm selling any machines yet. Several offers to run gofundme's for me. And several have paypal'd me money, which I have no way to retrieve it. So I hope they get it back eventually. Otherwise I'm involved in a gofundme for paypal.
    I'm hoping to be back open soon and I hope everyone stays health and safe, their loved ones too.
    LTG : )

Wife had a guy come into her place today that claimed to have no knowledge before today about what was going on. I almost envy him if true.

#313 4 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

So I know people don’t want to hear this, but it is quite likely if we are somehow “successful” in shutting this down, that it very likely will have a tail kick in the fall like the Spanish Flu of 1918. I think it’s fantastic that they finally got it under control in China but fear that it is a temporary victory. They have ALOT of their population still waiting to be exposed for the first time. This thing is unfortunately gonna be with us for a good 18 months until we have a vaccine ready and have built up enough herd immunity (hopefully slowly). I’d love to say otherwise, but the science and epidemiology on this suggests it ain’t over until it’s over.

Someone brought up a very good point that I think many, including myself hadn't really thought out. We probably WON'T get a vaccine that is effective if it is found that this mutates regularly. The assumption is it will just take time, but for as much as we know about the flu, it isn't always effective. This will probably be similar in that fashion.

#322 4 years ago

I know it sounds crazy, but I think rather than 'send a check to everyone' they should just suspend money as a requirement for a period of time. Shutter everything that is not essential, and basically everyone that must work, work for free and the government cover THOSE costs (for medical, utilities, groceries, basic needs). Once it is determined that we can go back to normal, put it back in place just as it was before this happened. No one loses a business, no one loses a job, no one owes anything more than they did before this crisis. Everyone just returns to what they were doing. Just hit pause.

#331 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I get the point you were trying to make but....yeah, no it's not. I don't really want to start a whole other discussion but I'll dumb it down to the fact that nobody is throwing anywhere near the amount of resources at peanut allergy as gets thrown at anti-smoking and epidemics, and that stupid ass shit like teachers intentionally feeding or using peanuts in their classrooms even when they've been told about a student's severe allergy.....still don't get fired in a lot of cases? Even though they send a kid to the ER?
    Yeah. It's not the same.

Glad you get the point, and no they are not the exact same. What you seem to be missing is the 'we don't know enough about it' and 'it spreads quickly and easily' part. If it didn't kill anyone, there probably wouldn't have been the reaction to it. Since it is actually a perfect storm of potentially bad mojo, they want to stop it before it has a chance (even if it may not actually be as bad as thought) to find out if it is. I guarantee you, no one in power in this country wanted to do what we are doing.

#339 4 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

I'm glad you know the motivations of everyone whom rules over you. For me, I believe a lot of people want exactly what is going on.. a complete shutdown of the economy. The bankers needed it because the banks failed over the last week (as evidenced by the over-prescribed discount window activity) and the never-trumpers see it as an attack vector (as evidenced by the attacks when the incoming flights from China were banned and constant focus on the COVID-19 test fairy's absence).
    Now this isn't a political post. It's a response to naivety.

This is conspiracy theory at its finest.

#380 4 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

This is starting to turn into some real BS. I know there is a virus going around and all and we need to be safe but there is a another side to this token...err quarter....that can't be ignored.
    I just saw the announcement on the 5:00 news with a "stay at home" between 3-27 to 4-10 I'm guessing this is outside of the "social distancing" that keeps businesses in these crappy situation?
    I was planning to get some of my games arranged in the house for proper power distribution so they could all be played at once and do some get togethers this summer but maybe do something a little sooner to help out some of our local businesses and operators to see pinball through the tough times. But then again we can't socialize.....this really stinks!

The whole point of it all is to stay away from people. If people aren't doing that, it's just going to prolong it.

#395 4 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

It's a crap situation anyway you look at it. Listened to that speech the Governor of NY had yesterday, his proposed solution made a lot of sense. Regardless it's not going to happen till they are able to test people for the antibodies and the hospitals are able to keep up.

I've been wondering about this as I have not heard much. Any idea why they haven't figured out a test for antibodies yet?

#415 4 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

It's going to be up to the individual governors who gets to turn on and who is "locked down". I'm expecting Easter Sunday will end the Montana quarantine measures. Schools probably stay closed and zoom makes a fortune. Testing for anti-bodies will tell the tale. But testing for the virus doesn't do jack at this time.
    A bigger question to me is how you all can be terrorized or comforted by the lies spewed by confirmed liars? I mean the politicians, AMA, CDC, WHO, China, Italy, Iran et al as reported by the clearly biased media. There is a lot of nonsense and misleading going on from those y'all seem to trust much more than your own instinct. Does anyone know someone 1st hand who has succumbed that wasn't high risk? I'm waiting to sadly hear some anecdotals from personal contacts before I'm believing into the hype. Some states will be back rolling by Mid april and if everything is still stopped come June, we'll have greater social problems to contend with than a dry cough with a low-grade fever.

I don't personally know anyone who died from the plague, polio, WWII, in a school shooting, or chicago downtown last week...or the holocaust either, but I'm pretty sure those were bad.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zablon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-temporarily-closed-my-arcade-thread-?tu=Zablon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.