Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,550 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by NicoVolta
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

f065c571-4d48-42b0-bb09-3c0eba12b3f0_e45adf5f6bc0c5c2a30a39868f44eab6 (resized).jpg
    19C29A43-E7DC-4936-A608-01E5A7E8BAC5 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    7FE4CBEA-7690-41A8-B236-48E4A0FCC6B9 (resized).jpeg
    maginot (resized).jpg
    coway6 (resized).jpg
    coway5 (resized).jpg
    coway4 (resized).jpg
    coway3 (resized).jpg
    coway2 (resized).jpg
    coway1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1298 3 (resized).jpg
    Untitled 43 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1196 2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1074 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Clytor.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#769 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Not trying to nag... just raising awareness of the fact that the biggest COVID transmission risk is sharing breathing space without a mask.
    Especially true in rooms without continuous fresh airflow from outdoors and/or without active filtration specifically rated for SARS/virus removal.
    Which would be most everywhere right now. :/
    It is a weakest link situation. One infected person in a room without a mask substantially increases the risk for everyone else... even if they have masks on. Unless they have a full-face respirator/N95 equipped which they most likely will not.
    With the risk of asymptomatic transmission and delayed onset by up to two weeks... can anyone truly be safe if masks are not mandatory for everyone?

I am still not sure how long it will be before we open up our club. Unless things look much different from right now, masks are going to be a requirement for all of our members upon entry.

1 month later
    #883 3 years ago
    Quoted from JRBBRJ:

Looks like Colorado pinball pub and Pinball Jones are starting to do hourly time slot rentals at locations this weekend. I hope this works and leads to more locations opening up. As soon as I can I plan to hit one of these up.

As it stands right now, when we open, we will be using a sign up schedule(likely Sign-Up Genius) for our club members. It will be 2 hour sessions with a very limited number of people. Masks required and players must leave two open machines between each other.

1 month later
    1 month later
    #1118 3 years ago

If you use your chimney regularly you should have it cleaned annually.

2 weeks later
    #1143 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

https://www.restaurantbusinessonline.com/financing/dave-busters-watchers-wonder-if-chain-will-declare-bankruptcy
    Will admit that it won’t be the saddest day for me if these guys don’t make it. Never been a big fan of D+B

Yeah, D&B is really not a place for me but I worry more about the coin-op ecosystem. That's a big chain that buys Raw Thrills, I.C.E., Embed, etc products.

5 months later
    #1428 3 years ago

We have had up and downs but are making it through at the Richmond Pinball Collective.

9 months later
    #1524 2 years ago

I'll chime in as well. The Richmond Pinball Collective, this quarter, has the highest number of members we've ever had. Things are doing pretty well on the financial end relative to our pre-pandemic state. We have regular tournaments and leagues. We dropped our mask mandate for a little bit per Covid numbers being down. When delta ramped up, we brought the mask mandate back and have continued it since. Hopefully the numbers will go back down so we can remove the mandate. No one has gotten sick through our club and we trying to keep it that way.

1 year later
    #1539 9 months ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Decades opened some 5 years ago originally as Paul’s Pinball Palace. We suffered literally ever sling and arrow you could throw at us since that time. First, it wasn’t ever supposed to be a business, just a hangout for our pinball league, then some pop up pinball for the public. Lost our first lease after 4 months when they knocked the building down (to be fair we knew this was coming, just not when). We were about to close when we got offered a last minute lifeline in a dusty warehouse. Just as we were making it into a home, finally inching above the red in our new location, COVID hit. $30k of machines sold just to pay expenses. If I recall during the Covid reopening we hit a low of $700 for one week. I had to cancel Friday night hours because we made less than it cost to pay employees to be open.
    This January to add insult to injury, we got booted out of our warehouse location to make way for a conversion to ghost kitchens of all things. It was looking grim, and I was scoping out storage facilities to put it all on ice.
    But this is not a story of paradise lost, a dream destroyed, 5 years of struggle (during which time there had been $0 ROI). Nope, we crawled up from the depths of possible non-existence, finding a new home on our city’s downtown mall. I’ll admit, I was more than a little worried given that we had moved into the high rent district whether we could hack it or not. It could easily have been one of those broadway plays that closes opening night.
    But we had several things going for us: 1) a great landlord who wanted us to succeed to make our downtown mall a better place to be for everyone (like most downtown malls it is mostly restaurants and high end shops). 2) a superb manager who kept our finances straight and poured hours into redesigning our layout and making sure our social media presence stayed visible while we were closed. 3) Luck, yes lots and lots of luck. Right location, right timing, right people.
    My goal for our reopening was to simply move sideways - at least keep us in the black and viable. I do not know what our future is here, but in the 3 months we have been re-openned we have more than doubled our preexisting business. We had 75 people lined up waiting to get in at opening this weekend. Will that continue. I hope, but I will also have backup plans if it doesn’t.
    What’s my take home ? Perseverance to exist, great personnel who all have a passion for what we do, combined with fortuitous luck can take you places. You just have to be patient, in it for the long haul, and let it unfold organically. And yeah luck, don’t ever forget luck. You aren’t as smart as you think you are, your decision making isn’t nearly as good as you believe it is.

Great to hear you are thriving on the mall! We need to come down and check out the new space.

#1549 9 months ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

100%. Until malls can be re-vivified with a whole new vision incorporating places to play, live, exercise, work, and shop… there is a reason why they are dying… and you don’t want to anchor your entertainment venue to that.
    Pinball has always been a “crime of opportunity”… pilfering coins from wandering strangers with some time to kill. That’s why they existed on boardwalks, piers, places with heavy turnover of new foot traffic. Including malls when they used to be the “Amazon.com” of the world before the internet.
    Annnnd that’s why in my opinion THE VERY BEST play right now for someone wanting to give operating a try is in a brewery. They have ample space (which you won’t have to pay for), an excellent turnover of new people with time to kill, and the breweries themselves want to offer a unique and fun diversion to lure people away from the bars to their location.
    Breweries, folks. Each brewery across America should have some pins. It’s up to us, no joke.

Just for sake of (not an actual)argument. Brewery hours are sometimes pretty restrictive. One long time operator friend of mine didn't want to set them for that reason. HOWEVER, I still agree with you because I think they can be good locations for a variety of other reasons. True arcade bars do typically have the edge in regards to flexibility of open hours. The rub there is they require a much bigger outlay of cash to start up, even if you are just supplying the amusements. It's much easier to try throwing a couple of pins in a business that is already fully selfsustained, that views the pins as a little extra income or an attraction to sell more beer.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Clytor.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-temporarily-closed-my-arcade-thread-?tu=Clytor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.