Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,550 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by NicoVolta
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

f065c571-4d48-42b0-bb09-3c0eba12b3f0_e45adf5f6bc0c5c2a30a39868f44eab6 (resized).jpg
    19C29A43-E7DC-4936-A608-01E5A7E8BAC5 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    7FE4CBEA-7690-41A8-B236-48E4A0FCC6B9 (resized).jpeg
    maginot (resized).jpg
    coway6 (resized).jpg
    coway5 (resized).jpg
    coway4 (resized).jpg
    coway3 (resized).jpg
    coway2 (resized).jpg
    coway1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1298 3 (resized).jpg
    Untitled 43 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1196 2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1074 (resized).jpg

There are 1,550 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 31.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

So are manufacturing, construction, financial services, oil & gas, import/export...essential? You are suggesting the Gov’t put 10’s of millions out of work, and that then can somehow prop it all up. This would cause huge harm, including many unintended medicinal consequences. I certainly understand shutting down schools, entertainment venues and other gathering spots, maybe even restaurants and malls, and greatly increasing testing, but it could be devastating to shutter the bulk of the world’s largest economy. (Also, the NYT and Newsweek are far from the “bottom line” for many.

He doesn't see the "smash Trump's economy" aspect of this whole ruse. Doctors are the most gullible people because they believe they are so smart.

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

First of all.. I am a heck of a lot closer to a millennial than a boomer. Second, I personally offered to help financially support arcades that are struggling. Kinda the opposite of asking for a bailout.

Do you have 2 pinside ID's? I don't remember addressing you.

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

He doesn't see the "smash Trump's economy" aspect of this whole ruse. Doctors are the most gullible people because they believe they are so smart.

So who do you go see when you are sick? I am sure you would never trust your health to a "gullible" doctor. sigh

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:Your deference to authority was never addressed in technical coursework. It's the common cold, duh, it doesn't even affect kids. But all your hysteria should make for some large government pork and a pile of draconian rules that help no one and in fact kill more than the virus due to financial/family strain of lost income. I'm sorry I offended any of you gullible news consumers.

You directly quoted me... my apologies if you were later insulting someone else.

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Just like it's more fun to live in complete denial than accept what's going on.
    Are we having fun yet?

Have you signed up for the vaccine trials? What could go wrong?

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

So who do you go see when you are sick? I am sure you would never trust your health to a "gullible" doctor. sigh

No. they have a monopoly on the distribution of life saving drugs and equipment. It's really their only claim to authority. Webmd is better than most drunken physicians. Honest people will agree.

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from BleacherBum:

I spent 35 years in Medical research. One of my favorite sayings is:
    “There are lies, damn lies, and statistics”
    However I agree that this flu should not be taken lightly. Keep yourself and others as safe as possible.

I agree... but only to the point where most people don't understand the statistics that they are looking at or how the data was collected.

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

You directly quoted me... my apologies if you were later insulting someone else.

My bad. I had you confused for the fear-mongering physician. I sometimes lose my place in a comment storm. You see, I too am a a mighty engineer (as I've been reminded). The only thing ANYONE knows is that the .gov's of the world are filthy liars. Why would anyone trust anything confirmed and repeating liars say? Is the WHO your mommy?

#59 4 years ago

Holy shit, people are drinking early today with nothing else to do

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

In July, we are going to be laughing at the fools just like the Y2K nonsense most of us remember.

I mentioned this in another thread but the reason most people remember Y2K as nonsense is because all the Y2K bugs were fixed before the date hit. If no one had done anything there would have been a lot of problems, but because programmers worked hard and fixed all the bugs everyone assumed there never was an issue to begin with, simply because they never saw any of them. The world wouldn't have ended of course, the media certainly blew Y2K out of proportion, but to say there never was a problem is extremely ignorant.

Unfortunately, a lot of people only seem to learn from consequences of inaction. I fear that if we manage to avoid Italy's situation due to the actions we're starting to take now, everyone will assume the reason was due to the virus being blown out of proportion, not that we took measures to slow the spread down. Then the next time a pandemic hits (Which will hopefully be far, far into the future) everyone will just say "Eh, it's probably just nothing like COVID-19 was" and ignore it, only to face serious consequences.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tickerguy:

There's so much we do not know right now with regard to this thing that everyone is literally flying blind, but being driven in their actions by that which they can see.
    Example -- Ohio's public health director said the other day she believes there are "100,000" infected in Ohio. Ok, if I accept that then knowing what we know about the R0 of the virus and the generation time (both of which we have reasonable estimates of from Wuhan's published data, along with others) we can run the geometric series *backward* with nothing more than math and we find that close to 10,000 people in Ohio both have had it *and* are beyond the point where they will seek medical attention or have a bad outcome (e.g. die.)
    Now people say the CFR (fatality rate) is ~2%, 1%, whatever. Uh, nope. See, "case" is defined by people they know about. If there are 100 "cases" and 2 people die, that's a 2% CFR. But if there are *ten thousand two hundred cases*, well, then it's 0.02%!
    So which is it?....

You bring up good points. If the health director believes there's a 100,000 cases in Ohio, then the obvious question should be "Are the hospitals being overwhelmed? Where's all the people that died?" You can't have one, and not the other w/100K infections. At a 2% fatality rate, that would be 2K.

Checking the latest virus numbers, Ohio is at 26 (even those are not based on testing, according to the web site). 100K is a rather large stretch from 26.

#62 4 years ago

Cidercade in Dallas is shut down as of today. So with BOS eating dirt, and Cidercade being shut down, the only real pinball on location in Dallas is pretty much limited to Pinstack (bowling alley that has a few of the most recent Sterns) and Free Play (Richardson only ever has like 4 or 5 at a time, and Arlington has a bunch, but it's Arlington and nobody with half a brain wants to drive into Arlington, because the cops are power-tripping assholes that will sit behind a shrub half a mile down from an exit ramp and tag you the second you touch the exit ramp and pull you over if you're 1 MPH over, despite there being nobody around you....and they set up with 3 motorcycle cops and one cruiser just to make sure they can get EVERYONE)

#63 4 years ago

I just heard ohio is making all bars and restaurants close at 9 pm tonight.

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Every situation is different. A love affair, a war, a depression. They don't always follow the rules of the last one.
    The 1929 depression people saved wrapping paper and string. They didn't do that in 2005's downturn.
    LTG : )

They're stocking up on TP tho!

#65 4 years ago

I will still continue to support our local operators, 50 cents at a time.

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

You bring up good points. If the health director believes there's a 100,000 cases in Ohio, then the obvious question should be "Are the hospitals being overwhelmed? Where's all the people that died?" You can't have one, and not the other w/100K infections. At a 2% fatality rate, that would be 2K.
    Checking the latest virus numbers, Ohio is at 26. 100K is a rather large stretch from 26.

My interpretation is they are expecting the hospital surge to come in 10 days or so.

#67 4 years ago

Great post and very sad as some are simply oblivious to what’s coming here.

#68 4 years ago
    Quoted from hank527:

Great post and very sad as some are simply oblivious to what’s coming here.

And some say, "I reject your authority, lying trash! Presumptive positive isn't even a thing. Where are all the dead people besides the Chinese dissidents that were all incinerated immediately?"

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

Stay open.. people will be looking for things to do until they forbid local travel. Then move to a state that doesn't practice as much idiocy. I wish I could go just pick up the virus and process it. Many of us may have already. There is absolutely zero reason to believe any of the gov's pseudo-science and stats. The first "Montana Presumptive Positive" was a woman who had been out of the state since November and never back.
    It's 100% bullshit and nothing more than a "stronger than average" common cold virus. Corona viruses are common and prevalent. There is really nothing to fear if you are under 60 and in good health. In July, we are going to be laughing at the fools just like the Y2K nonsense most of us remember.

have a read mate:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-coronavirus-stop-you-from-attending-tpf/page/9#post-5520802

stronger than average huh?

my boss has it:

https://news.sky.com/story/bt-chief-executive-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-11956601

If he walks up one flight of stairs he has to sit down for 5 minutes, he is a very health guy. he has a very bad headache, his body in his body is in pain. For those who aren't on top of their health (and for the USA that 30% of the population who are obese (from USAFacts)) this will be bad.

please don't give us your doctor google 100% bullshit nonsense.

Regards,
    Neil.

#70 4 years ago

Well all bars and restaurants are closed here until the 30th, no dining in, interesting times for sure.

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from Oaken:

My interpretation is they are expecting the hospital surge to come in 10 days or so.

I thought about that. But if the incubation is 1-2 weeks, then there had to be a fair amount of people sick two weeks ago (those people were the ones that passed it onto the 100K people). Did they go to the hospital or did 2% die? Assume 1 person infects 100 people. That would mean 1K had it prior and 20 would have died. Right now, the numbers just don't seem to support.

Not trying to underscore the possible severity, but it seems like some rather large speculations are being tossed out, leading to panic and hoarding.

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

So are manufacturing, construction, financial services, oil & gas, import/export...essential? You are suggesting the Gov’t put 10’s of millions out of work, and that they can somehow prop it all up. This would cause huge harm, including many unintended medical consequences. I certainly understand shutting down schools, entertainment venues and other gathering spots, maybe even restaurants and malls, and greatly increasing testing, but it could be devastating to shutter the bulk of the world’s largest economy. (Also, the NYT and Newsweek are far from the “bottom line” for many.)

What’s the line from Star Trek: “Jim I’m a Doctor not a magician”. As to what businesses should be left open, what should be propped up, what should be left to fend for itself I cannot say. I will leave that to smarter people than me. I can say anecdotal from my little town that multiple small business owners have told me they risk financial ruin if forced to close, or even if they stay open and people don’t eat out or go for coffee. Generally from what I have read most economists would say that if the difference between a business surviving an acute blow like this versus closing is helping prop it up, overall just taking a pragmatic than emotional viewpoint, it’s better to prop it up so it can comeback to life on the other side of all this.

#73 4 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

have a read mate:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-coronavirus-stop-you-from-attending-tpf/page/9#post-5520802
    stronger than average huh?
    my boss has it:
    https://news.sky.com/story/bt-chief-executive-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-11956601
    If he walks up one flight of stairs he has to sit down for 5 minutes, he is a very health guy. he has a very bad headache, his body in his body is in pain. For those who aren't on top of their health (and for the USA that 30% of the population who are obese (from USAFacts)) this will be bad.
    please don't give us your doctor google 100% bullshit nonsense.
    Regards,
    Neil.

Pfffttt... property of the crown. Your queen momma ran away to leave you with the plague.. Seem familiar? No one cares your 'affluenzed' boss picked up a bad cold in a bath house. He's probably lying for insurance money, anyway. He'll be back to humiliating you in no time.

#74 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I thought about that. But if the incubation is 1-2 weeks, then there had to be a fair amount of people sick two weeks ago (those people were the ones that passed it onto the 100K people). Did they go to the hospital or did 2% die? Assume 1 person infects 100 people. That would mean 1K had it prior and 20 would have died. Right now, the numbers just don't seem to support.
    Not trying to underscore the possible severity, but it seems like some rather large speculations are being tossed out, leading to panic and hoarding.

It’s all speculation right now. Until we have adequate testing, the best we can do is extrapolate from the data available from Wuhan and Italy. What we can say is that we are for now following the same curves as they did if not a bit worse

#75 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Checking the latest virus numbers, Ohio is at 26 (even those are not based on testing, according to the web site). 100K is a rather large stretch from 26.

During the address she said that the virus takes 2 weeks to incubate. So with the number of confirmed cases doubling every few days we're woefully behind the actual counts of infections. Waiting for people to die to react probably isn't the best method of mitigation.

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Correct. A guess and nothing more. I think the assumption is that there are many more than are being confirmed positive (almost certainly true given test kit availability). 400X more ? Hmm probably not. 10X more ? Maybe. But here is the thing, in my hospital we just don’t know. How in the world can one be expected to quarantine this thing and separate covid+ from regular patients without testing their status. No idea

#77 4 years ago

Well someone seems angry that his Arcade is closed

#78 4 years ago

This will be trying times for everyone in the hospitality, restaurant/bar, arcade, cinema, or other public gathering industry for sure.

Something I thought about, which I don't know exactly how to implement (a gofundme? similar?) is this:

We are all going to be at home and, pretty much everyone here owns machines at their house. We will be playing these games, yes on free play down in our basements/gamerooms. But, what if we "paid to play" for a little bit? Every time you play your games, donate the money you would have spent down there on the games played, same as if you were in an arcade,to a fund that would then go directly to the closest arcade geographically to you facing struggles. Again, not sure best implementation, but a thought I had and a way all of use with collections could chip in in a unique way.

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

It’s all speculation right now. Until we have adequate testing, the best we can do is extrapolate from the data available from Wuhan and Italy. What we can say is that we are for now following the same curves as they did if not a bit worse

Fair enough, and I do think cancelling larger gatherings is warranted for a limited time. Better safe than sorry.

But I do think tossing out a 100K number for a single state is somewhat reckless. Extrapolating for all states would then lead you to believe millions are infected. Let's hope not.

#80 4 years ago

holy moly the fever has set in bad.

#81 4 years ago

All I can say is that if your arcade is forced to or voluntarily closes, the one thing you can do to help out is book parties for the future or buy merch and gift cards. These help, they really do. I plan to buy my Pinfest ticket for just that reason.

#82 4 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

All I can say is that if your arcade is forced to or voluntarily closes, the one thing you can do to help out is book parties for the future or buy merch and gift cards. These help, they really do. I plan to buy my Pinfest ticket for just that reason.

Memberships might be a good idea too, maybe include a certain number of games to be redeemed at a later date.

#83 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Memberships might be a good idea

Official Membership in the SS Billiards fan club. Limited number available. Don't delay.

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

What’s the line from Star Trek: “Jim I’m a Doctor not a magician”. As to what businesses should be left open, what should be propped up, what should be left to fend for itself I cannot say. I will leave that to smarter people than me. I can say anecdotal from my little town that multiple small business owners have told me they risk financial ruin if forced to close, or even if they stay open and people don’t eat out or go for coffee. Generally from what I have read most economists would say that if the difference between a business surviving an acute blow like this versus closing is helping prop it up, overall just taking a pragmatic than emotional viewpoint, it’s better to prop it up so it can comeback to life on the other side of all this.

Fair enough, but the US economy is $23 trillion. Seems like many believe Gov’t is omnipotent with unlimited resources and powers. Or that medium and large corporations have stockpiles of reserves/credit. Many are not that different than small businesses and cannot survive a significant drop in revenue without immediately slashing costs, i.e. employees.

I’m semi-retired now, but use to be responsible for large chemical and materials factories with 1000’s of employees. Shutting down some of the plants would cost millions just to hit the off button, and have serious, long-term impacts on the global supply chain for many industries. Being pragmatic involves balancing many considerations for the overall health and welfare of the Country.

The response by all levels of Government hasn’t been perfect, never is, but overall I’ve been impressed with how it is ramping up and people are pulling together. The sensationalized, headline grappling coverage by most media has been far less impressive and potentially harmful.

And wish you would open during the week after this is over.. My son goes to UVA and you are usually closed when we’re visiting him.

#85 4 years ago
    Quoted from Oaken:

So much wrong here I could write a book. What you are saying is dangerous and will lead to people getting hurt.

Don’t bother questioning sadsack’s logic. He’ll win the argument, as he always does, by posting his credit score and diagrams of the psychosexual pyramid.

#86 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Official Membership in the SS Billiards fan club. Limited number available. Don't delay.

I’ll take 3

#87 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Just like it's more fun to live in complete denial than accept what's going on.
    Are we having fun yet?

I am stunned by the number of people who are turning a blind eye and yelling "Fake news!". As if businesses and school districts (and entire states!) are just flippantly closing down, losing unbelievable amounts of money.

#88 4 years ago

Lloyd - If you sell a members only jacket with your avatar on it I’m in!

#89 4 years ago

I know it's probably impractical at this point, but much like how the internet providers are not cutting service and lifting caps during this time, I think essentials such as utilities and mortgages should also have payments deferred - or at least lowered to a point where it can be averaged in/paid over time after this. Maybe it would require some government funding for those workers to make it happen, but that really shouldn't be an issue for most citizens to get behind (since everyone has been arguing who the real americans are the last 4 years..put your money where your mouth is). It's really in the banks best interests at this point because if the majority can't pay their bills they'd rather have them pay later than default.

What I see actually happening with the feds lowering interest rates and the government stimulating the market, is the little guy being ignored. Neither of those things help the average person, the small businesses, and probably won't help the employees of major corporations either.

#90 4 years ago

People need money to pay rent and the bills..... Simple as that.

We will soon find out if we are the greatest country in the world and how much we truly care about our Christian values.

Now is the time to be a good neighbor.

#91 4 years ago

Any thought to renting out the machines during this crisis?

Seems like something to keep people busy during the lockdown?

#92 4 years ago
    Quoted from NY2Colorado:

...Now is the time to be a good neighbor.

'Everyday' is a good time to be a good neighbor.

#93 4 years ago
    Quoted from NY2Colorado:

People need money to pay rent and the bills..... Simple as that.
    We will soon find out if we are the greatest country in the world and how much we truly care about our Christian values.
    Now is the time to be a good neighbor.

Doesn’t take a crisis to have “Christian values”
    Wow. Be a good person is life not religion

#94 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

What I see actually happening with the feds lowering interest rates and the government stimulating the market, is the little guy being ignored. Neither of those things help the average person, the small businesses, and probably won't help the employees of major corporations either.

It helps the little guy get or keep a job because companies of all size have access to low-cost, short-term lines of credit to pay suppliers and payroll, refinance their mortgage, pay less for student loan and credit card debt, etc. Also helps Local and State Governments have access to low cost financing which should translate to better services and ultimately lower taxes (but good luck with that). There will be a ton of Gov't and Corporate refinancing/bond activity. Many little guys also have pensions, IRA's, 401k's that depend on the health of the stock and bond markets. A temporary payroll tax cut would be a great next step to put money directly into everyone's pocket, versus Government trying to over engineer solutions and play favorites.

#95 4 years ago

I am slowly winding down my appointments for repair and not currently taking any more appointments for at least a couple weeks. This is not one I can afford to risk catching.

#96 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

If you have merch to buy I will gladly do so !

#97 4 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

It helps the little guy get or keep a job because companies of all size have access to low-cost, short-term lines of credit to pay suppliers and payroll, refinance their mortgage, pay less for student loan and credit card debt, etc. Also helps Local and State Governments have access to low cost financing which should translate to better services and ultimately lower taxes (but good luck with that). There will be a ton of Gov't and Corporate refinancing/bond activity. Many little guys also have pensions, IRA's, 401k's that depend on the health of the stock and bond markets. A temporary payroll tax cut would be a great next step to put money directly into everyone's pocket, versus Government trying to over engineer solutions and play favorites.

I agree with some of this, but I don't agree to the reach. It's part of it, but really still caters to the big boys. A payroll tax break is also good...if those people actually have jobs still. The big boys tend to have more wiggle room than the locals.

#98 4 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

Stay open.. people will be looking for things to do until they forbid local travel. Then move to a state that doesn't practice as much idiocy. I wish I could go just pick up the virus and process it. Many of us may have already. There is absolutely zero reason to believe any of the gov's pseudo-science and stats. The first "Montana Presumptive Positive" was a woman who had been out of the state since November and never back.
    It's 100% bullshit and nothing more than a "stronger than average" common cold virus. Corona viruses are common and prevalent. There is really nothing to fear if you are under 60 and in good health. In July, we are going to be laughing at the fools just like the Y2K nonsense most of us remember.

You and everyone like you spreading willful ignorance & disinformation should be classified as a bio-terrorist. Your type of idiocy is going to kill people.

#99 4 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

Sorry that so many people on here are sheep and believe the proven lying media. If this thing is so bad why isn't there ONE case in the world of a healthy person under the age of 65 dead from this? It's all people over 65 more like 80+ that have weak immune systems. Those people die of the flu and any other illness. If you have a medical issue where it affects your immune system sorry but YOU have to be careful. So what should we do never do anything ever again, no school or sports or anything ever again? This is bs liberal media hysteria plain and simple. Can't go to school yet you can go to Walmart the mall and every other enclosed place. Doesn't that kinna defeat the purpose of canceling everything?

#100 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

You and everyone like you spreading willful ignorance & disinformation should be classified as a bio-terrorist. Your type of idiocy is going to kill people.

Don’t bother. He rejects epidemiology, statistics, and the scientific method itself, so there’s literally no point in debating with him. His contributions to the late flu shot thread will tell you all you need to know.

There are 1,550 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-temporarily-closed-my-arcade-thread-/page/2?hl=indusguys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.