Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,550 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by NicoVolta
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

f065c571-4d48-42b0-bb09-3c0eba12b3f0_e45adf5f6bc0c5c2a30a39868f44eab6 (resized).jpg
    19C29A43-E7DC-4936-A608-01E5A7E8BAC5 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    7FE4CBEA-7690-41A8-B236-48E4A0FCC6B9 (resized).jpeg
    maginot (resized).jpg
    coway6 (resized).jpg
    coway5 (resized).jpg
    coway4 (resized).jpg
    coway3 (resized).jpg
    coway2 (resized).jpg
    coway1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1298 3 (resized).jpg
    Untitled 43 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1196 2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1074 (resized).jpg
    There are 1,550 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 31.
    #1101 3 years ago

I wonder if illuminating the air filter on the air conditioners with UV light might kill any covid that got trapped in the filter?

#1102 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I wonder if illuminating the air filter on the air conditioners with UV light might kill any covid that got trapped in the filter?

Generally only UVC lamps will do that, and only at the right intensity. Home units typically can't do this. Some also generate ozone which must be ventilated.

Too many variables and not enough data. We need proven products which are safe and widely available. Just not there yet.

For now, ventilate indoor air, filter the room with MERV13 filtration, mask up, and keep things clean. It'll knock down Covid dramatically as well as flu & other respiratory pathogens.

#1104 3 years ago

I have to ask, do you guys really believe all this shit is necessary that covid is that much of a threat or are you doing all of this to convince other people to come in or so they will let you be open for business.

#1106 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I have to ask, do you guys really believe all this shit is necessary that covid is that much of a threat or are you doing all of this to convince other people to come in or so they will let you be open for business.

Yes.

#1107 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Superspreader events are very real (google it), superspreader events only happen indoors, and the reason they happen indoors is that the air is stale and the virus lingers. So yes, this is more than just show or disinfection kabuki theater. What Lowe’s and Walmart are doing is just for show. But yes to many unfortunately the virus will continue to be a hoax, a non threat, overrated, whatever you want to call it, that is until someone they actually know gets sick and dies from it. Not enough people have died yet to reach that level of recognition that this isn’t a joke.

#1108 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I have to ask, do you guys really believe all this shit is necessary that covid is that much of a threat

Yes.

I care about my customers.

LTG : )

#1109 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Generally only UVC lamps will do that, and only at the right intensity. Home units typically can't do this. Some also generate ozone which must be ventilated.
    Too many variables and not enough data. We need proven products which are safe and widely available. Just not there yet.
    For now, ventilate indoor air, filter the room with MERV13 filtration, mask up, and keep things clean. It'll knock down Covid dramatically as well as flu & other respiratory pathogens.

50 of these 25 W Mercury Quartz UVC lamps help also, but they are a pain to deal with. If I hadn’t already bought them in order of helpfulness for preventing infection at ones business I think it would go: 1) correct mask wearing 2) bringing in outdoor air 3) filtering indoor air 4) UVC (not the LED kind only mercury quartz and one bulb ain’t gonna do it for the kind of square footage we have - we leave them on for 5 hours each night) 5) surface disinfection (hand sanitizer).

783E1DB3-4CB1-4DB1-964F-11769B7DF069 (resized).jpeg783E1DB3-4CB1-4DB1-964F-11769B7DF069 (resized).jpeg
    #1110 3 years ago

Are you not concerned about the UV causing decals to fade?

#1111 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Nope. They are going to fade. This is an arcade not a collectors showpiece. You should see what the alcohol disinfection is doing to the area around flipper buttons. I care most about what happens to people coming to visit, if the machines are casualties in some way then that’s fine by me.

#1112 3 years ago

Bit Bar Salem is suing MA Govenor Baker for not lifting the COVID ban on arcades. This place is awesome by the way. It has a decent size room of pinball games and the entire restaurant is lined with arcades

https://www.gloucestertimes.com/news/local_news/update-bit-bar-sues-baker-over-video-game-ban/article_c626459f-7ae1-5b44-a16d-1cdb51e928aa.html

#1113 3 years ago
    Quoted from Murphdom:

Bit Bar Salem is suing MA Govenor Baker for not lifting the COVID ban on arcades. This place is awesome by the way. It has a decent size room of pinball games and the entire restaurant is lined with arcades
    https://www.gloucestertimes.com/news/local_news/update-bit-bar-sues-baker-over-video-game-ban/article_c626459f-7ae1-5b44-a16d-1cdb51e928aa.html

They should and I hope they win. You can’t shut down businesses which are people’s bread and butter for a virus. Especially one with a 98% recovery rate.

#1114 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

They should and I hope they win. You can’t shut down businesses which are people’s bread and butter for a virus. Especially one with a 98% recovery rate.

We've already gone over this. Lung transplants are considered "recovered". As are people with long-term lingering conditions, lung scarring, heart damage, etc.

We don't have all of the data on this disease yet.

Broad brush "dead or not dead" statistics are not the kind of assurances most Americans want right now. But hey... we could use this opportunity to detour into the psychology of what makes state lotteries such financial cash cows despite the overwhelmingly negative odds.

Yet, people play by the millions anyway. We freedom-loving, high-hoping Americans just want what we want. Perhaps a bit too much.

Agreed though - I'd like to see more consistency in the way the restrictions have been imposed. We have enough scientific knowledge at this point to certify rooms for minimum levels of airflow and filtration at the very least. Don't shut down businesses which are legitimately keeping people safe and insisting upon mask use.

#1115 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Lol, someone's asking the *important* questions here. Deadly virus? Ehh, no big deal. Fading decals? Oh, the horror!!!!

#1117 3 years ago

Nothing, not near as bad as covid-19.

Quoted from zr11990:

Do you want to be that 2%?

#1118 3 years ago

If you use your chimney regularly you should have it cleaned annually.

#1119 3 years ago
    864E1EB8-9375-402D-83B7-82F9155E8D96.jpeg864E1EB8-9375-402D-83B7-82F9155E8D96.jpeg
    #1120 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Nope. They are going to fade. This is an arcade not a collectors showpiece. You should see what the alcohol disinfection is doing to the area around flipper buttons. I care most about what happens to people coming to visit, if the machines are casualties in some way then that’s fine by me.

Look on the "bright" side, you can always be open at night now as a tanning salon + arcade.

#1121 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Look on the "bright" side, you can always be open at night now as a tanning salon + arcade.

Dibs on starting a grow house biz

#1122 3 years ago
    Quoted from Clytor:

If you use your chimney regularly you should have it cleaned annually.

*SPIT TAKE*

#1123 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

we have a whole other COVID thread you can go get ejected from.

#1124 3 years ago

on the "keeping venues alive" front, House of Targ is offering new swag online:
    a brand new t-shirt by local tattoo artist Pat Buck: http://www.houseoftarg.com/targmart/targ-pat-buck-wizard-t
    targ shirt (resized).jpgtarg shirt (resized).jpg

and a hat http://www.houseoftarg.com/targmart/targ-lids
    targ hat (resized).jpgtarg hat (resized).jpg

#1125 3 years ago

If you are concerned about air quality, this is a great option. We use it in our arcade and they work great. I think people appreciate it that we are making an extra effort to ensure the air is as clean as we can make it. Is it a full proof way of killing COVID no, but it does give some piece of mind that we are trying to do everything we can to make a safe environment.

https://uvairos.com/index.php/p900-gx-commercial/

#1126 3 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

If you are concerned about air quality, this is a great option. We use it in our arcade and they work great. I think people appreciate it that we are making an extra effort to ensure the air is as clean as we can make it. Is it a full proof way of killing COVID no, but it does give some piece of mind that we are trying to do everything we can to make a safe environment.

Upvoted. Any COVID mitigation efforts should be applauded. I think our customers appreciate it and are recognizing it more.

I did actually look at such units but there still seems to be a lot of controversy about how effective UV light is within either an HVAC system or air purifier. I think the issues were about either 1) whether the air passing thru was exposed to enough UV to kill the virus - it seems like it could be but others said maybe not and 2) whether the UV light could penetrate enough into the HEPA filter to kill captured virus. Then again they did for sure show that it seems to disinfect N95 masks reasonably well. And heck, there is even controversy about how effective it is out in the open as we have done. As in after 15 minutes does it do Anything - hence our 15 minute disinfection breaks.

It is to say that a lot of us just have to try things out since the science on this I will fully state is not as good as it should be. My approach was do everything and hope the combo works. But if you were to ask me what the percentage breakdown each mitigation technique has I haven’t a clue nor does anyone else really.

Thanks for sharing

#1127 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

on the "keeping venues alive" front, House of Targ is offering new swag online:
    a brand new t-shirt by local tattoo artist Pat Buck: http://www.houseoftarg.com/targmart/targ-pat-buck-wizard-t
    [quoted image]
    and a hat http://www.houseoftarg.com/targmart/targ-lids
    [quoted image]

Tried to order but looks like it’s Canada only

#1128 3 years ago

4” MERV13 filter bungee-corded to a box fan (and seal edges with tape) will do a lot of good for not much $$$.

Can deploy several indoors and still be well under $200.

#1129 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Me too. Bummer. That’s a cool shirt.

#1130 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

What you meant to say ....

Tried to order but looks like it’s Canada only, eh?

#1131 3 years ago

Apologies everyone, I thought the Targ stuff shipped internationally.
    If you really want one send me a DM and I will ship them to you myself and you can PayPal me the cost.

#1132 3 years ago

Adults with Covid-19 about 'twice as likely' to say they have dined at a restaurant, CDC study suggests

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/10/health/restaurant-dining-covid-19-cdc-study-wellness/index.html

Well interesting, underpowered study but not entirely surprising. I have ventured into several restaurants to get takeout. The site of multiple tables 6 feet apart with lots of people eating inside no mask (obviously) just still seems crazy to me. We came up with this magic 6 foot rule when we thought aerosols of Covid were only in large droplets that only traveled a limited distance. With the better understanding that Covid is in fact in fine particle aerosols that can stay aloft as a cloud, 6 feet is probably just wishful thinking and this finding should not surprise anyone. Combine that with an HVAC system that just recirculates the air and it seems a perfect Covid incubator.

Anyway as to the question of what’s safer 1) an arcade with masks and circulating outdoor air or 2) an indoor restaurant with no masks and recirculated air, I think it’s pretty obvious this early result will likely hold up well in future larger studies.

Do want to add that there is a bit of confirmation bias here. So have to be a little careful to not over interpret. That awful awful study suggesting 250K infections out of Sturgis rally is just complete crap. See more here https://slate.com/technology/2020/09/sturgis-rally-covid19-explosion-paper.html

The study as I said is underpowered, but my suspicion is still that it points to the likely conclusion of much the same when they increase the number of patients included in the study

#1133 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

HVAC system that just recirculates the air

HVAC systems around here have filters. Those do the same thing a mask is supposed to do- filter out particulate from air that passes through it.

#1134 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

HVAC systems around here have filters. Those do the same thing a mask is supposed to do- filter out particulate from air that passes through it.

Not exactly. Filter system has to be at least H13 to even have a chance at filtering out the virus. (Filters that block smaller particle sizes cause the system to work harder) Thus H13 filters are not used pretty much anywhere else but clean rooms and hospitals. So most HVAC systems do pretty much nothing for filtering out coronavirus. Second, air turnover rate matters. If all you do is keep blowing the same air around while trying to cool it thru condenser coils then it just recirculates the same air in the room and not very quickly. Most HVAC systems have no more than 20% fresh air brought into the system.

#1135 3 years ago

I know several places local that would make great Pinball Hideouts.
    Rent is cheap, at an intersection.
    It would have to be a Rebel Joint, operating on the edge.A smoky throwback to an earlier Era.
    Invest in a good Coffee System.
    Any Juke Joint back in the day skirted the laws.

The ventilation is key, Kudos to Nick Volta for really bringing it to the forefront with a practical solution.

#1136 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

It would have to be a Rebel Joint, operating on the edge.A smoky throwback to an earlier Era.
    The ventilation is key, Kudos to Nick Volta for really bringing it to the forefront with a practical solution.

in WI is that where they have events with cash pay outs?

#1137 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

I tell ya if I was in Colorado I would have been strongly tempted to open the arcade anyway, do everything we are doing now to prevent infections, and challenge unintelligent state government decisions to keep places closed. A nice soapbox to clearly demonstrate illogical hypocrisy run amok. Opening a rebel establishment with no masks, no ventilation and alcohol flowing freely is kinda cliche. Opening a rebel establishment that vastly exceeds state standards but isn’t allowed to officially be open, now that’s actually thumbing ones nose at idiotic bureaucracy.

#1138 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

I tell ya if I was in Colorado I would have been strongly tempted to open the arcade anyway, do everything we are doing now to prevent infections, and challenge unintelligent state government decisions to keep places closed. A nice soapbox to clearly demonstrate illogical hypocrisy run amok. Opening a rebel establishment with no masks, no ventilation and alcohol flowing freely is kinda cliche. Opening a rebel establishment that vastly exceeds state standards but isn’t allowed to officially be open, now that’s actually thumbing ones nose at idiotic bureaucracy.

and then some cop takes your games and later they show up at his house and then the case dropped.
    Or the cops want to come in and get free play.

1 week later
    #1139 3 years ago

https://www.restaurantbusinessonline.com/financing/dave-busters-watchers-wonder-if-chain-will-declare-bankruptcy

Will admit that it won’t be the saddest day for me if these guys don’t make it. Never been a big fan of D+B

#1140 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Never been a big fan of D+B

Me neither.

Back when I was getting back into pinball machines and looking for a place to play I was shocked when I looked at their games and seen they had no pins.

I have been to that place once, around 30 years ago. For a friends party.

I was drinking banana daiquiris (I was young and dumb), but I swear they mixed the husks or whatever in the drinks, and later I was very sick.

That one time I was there also ticked me off that little kids were walking in, but they carded me at the door.

I was like what is up with that, 6 year olds are walking in here and you are going to card me?

Yeah, it will not hurt my feelings if that place goes away.

#1142 3 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I was drinking banana daiquiris (I was young and dumb), but I swear they mixed the husks or whatever in the drinks, and later I was very sick.

Yeah, it was the banana peels that made you sick.. lol.

Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

That one time I was there also ticked me off that little kids were walking in, but they carded me at the door.
    I was like what is up with that, 6 year olds are walking in here and you are going to card me?
    Yeah, it will not hurt my feelings if that place goes away.

Reminds of a time when I was like 17 and some friends and I tried to go to this family pizza place called "Moose Mequire's" where they had a restriction that anyone younger than 18 couldn't in without a parent. So here we are a group of 17 year olds being carded and turned away at the door by a 14-year old dressed in a Canadian Mountie uniform. Humiliating.

#1143 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

https://www.restaurantbusinessonline.com/financing/dave-busters-watchers-wonder-if-chain-will-declare-bankruptcy
    Will admit that it won’t be the saddest day for me if these guys don’t make it. Never been a big fan of D+B

Yeah, D&B is really not a place for me but I worry more about the coin-op ecosystem. That's a big chain that buys Raw Thrills, I.C.E., Embed, etc products.

#1144 3 years ago
    Quoted from Clytor:

Yeah, D&B is really not a place for me but I worry more about the coin-op ecosystem. That's a big chain that buys Raw Thrills, I.C.E., Embed, etc products.

I remember Josh posting on here once that a day at Raw Thrills with sales to D&B and Chuck E Cheese were a great day for the company.

#1145 3 years ago

Update: September is typically a weak month, but it -really- sucked this month. Nevertheless pushing ahead with tourneys and party promos and the usual fixin's.

We are now in the business of selling machines, fixing client-owned machines, rebuilding them, and giving them a warranty. Roanoke Pinball Museum, Repair, and Factory Outlet.

BTW D&B was incredible in the 80's. Waitstaff bar service & ashtrays at each game. This was before the ticket-redemption craze. Was like a VIP room in Vegas.

#1146 3 years ago

Hi all just thought I would weigh in on the UV debate. I was the one that supplied bcrage's UV air purifier. UV does kill covid but not all UV units are created equal. You will want to research before you buy one off the shelves of places like costco as there are hundreds of different products out there trying to cash in on the pandemic. We use Sanuvox products as they have a proven track record and have been in the UV business for 25 years.

UVC wavelengths are used to break down viruses and bacteria like Covid-19 the light from the UV lamp will actually break down the DNA strands of the virus causing it to loose its function to replicate in our bodies.

The Lamps we use in our products are in the shape of a J which allows it it increase the time that the air will contact the UV light. Our lamps are also positioned parallel to airflow which will increase the time that the light is making contact with the air.

Other UV manufacturers uses "stick lamps" and will position them perpendicular to the airflow which will greatly reduce the contact time and effectiveness.

Check out our website for more information on the UV process and the different products we offer. The units borage uses at Arkadium are the p900 model which may be ideal for most operators as it provides visibility to the customers. Optics are very important ease peoples apprehension about going into public places.

#1147 3 years ago

Here is a disinfection chart for the p900 unit I linked above. If you have any questions let me know.

Coronavirus Disinfection P900-S300-S1000.pdfCoronavirus Disinfection P900-S300-S1000.pdf
    #1148 3 years ago

there is now a gofundme to help save Cabin Fever in Toronto if anyone can spare some cash. I've been there before and it's an incredible place.

just check the sign, who doesn't love PINBALL BEER VINYL???
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/save-cabin-fever

EDIT:
    there's also this thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/save-cabin-fever-save-location-pinball-in-toronto

#1149 3 years ago

Thanks Cait! I came in here to post the link but you beat me to it!

Honestly there’s nothing quite like Cabin anywhere else. There’s bigger arcades for sure but the feel and atmosphere of the place is unique. It’s like a home away from home for pinball people.

As everyone knows it has been uniquely difficult for arcade bars and recently the government made it even harder by lowering last call. Cabin is hanging in but they had to return their rental dishwasher this week, that’s how borderline it is.

Anyway, a couple of bucks would go a long way to helping them get through the winter. The owner Robyn would never run a fundraiser for herself but I have no shame and it’s more important that it stay open.

It’s about 1/3rd of the way to the goal so I really think it’s doable.

https://gofundme.com/f/save-cabin-fever

#1150 3 years ago

do you know the economics of it? Like, if we can get her $10k can she survive until spring?

toronto leases can be absolutely brutal.

There are 1,550 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-temporarily-closed-my-arcade-thread-/page/23?hl=vectorgamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.