Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,550 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by NicoVolta
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

f065c571-4d48-42b0-bb09-3c0eba12b3f0_e45adf5f6bc0c5c2a30a39868f44eab6 (resized).jpg
    19C29A43-E7DC-4936-A608-01E5A7E8BAC5 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    7FE4CBEA-7690-41A8-B236-48E4A0FCC6B9 (resized).jpeg
    maginot (resized).jpg
    coway6 (resized).jpg
    coway5 (resized).jpg
    coway4 (resized).jpg
    coway3 (resized).jpg
    coway2 (resized).jpg
    coway1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1298 3 (resized).jpg
    Untitled 43 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1196 2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1074 (resized).jpg
    There are 1,550 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 31.
    #851 3 years ago

Whelp gyms can reopen Friday so my son is excited to go to the Y, but we can’t open yet. It is nice to know in Maslow’s hierarchy of need arcades rank at the absolute bottom, right next to movie theaters. Good to know how essential the government feels you really are. I’m hoping June 12 and just put our reservation system live in anticipation of that. 10 people in a 100 game arcade every 2 hours is gonna be a bit depressing, but as long as we fill half the slots we break even. Ugh never have my ambitions ever been so low.

#852 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Whelp gyms can reopen Friday so my son is excited to go to the Y, but we can’t open yet. It is nice to know in Maslow’s hierarchy of need arcades rank at the absolute bottom, right next to movie theaters. Good to know how essential the government feels you really are. I’m hoping June 12 and just put our reservation system live in anticipation of that. 10 people in a 100 game arcade every 2 hours is gonna be a bit depressing, but as long as we fill half the slots we break even. Ugh never have my ambitions ever been so low.

Our state governments have no problem if we go out amongst thousands to protest, but god forbid should we go to an arcade with dozens of other people.

#853 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

That is honestly sad and odd to hear. Every inch and piece of equipment in a gym is Covered in body fluids with ever visitor exhaling double time yet a few finger prints on a flipper button is ground zero? Odd how these rules are picked. Do hope you and all operators pull through this.

#854 3 years ago

I want to also add that we are using bookeo to perform our reservations. It’s upside is that it’s ridiculously easy to use. It also integrates well with Wordpress sites. And that’s kinda a big deal because the actual look gives off a Windows 98 vibe, so we will reskin it on our site. Anyway, we are officially moving to reservations only, 2 hour blocks open at the arcade, for now 10 people per 2 hours, with 30 min in between blocks to wipe down machines. Bookeo lets you set separate prices for kids/adults, and integrates with Square and Facebook’s “Book now” button. And it’s cheap. I don’t own stock or know the owners, just wanted to pass on potentially helpful info.

#855 3 years ago

Maybe Gyms are different where you are but the one that I go to, it is considered proper Gym Etiquette to wipe the machines down after you use them and people do.

Quoted from Yelobird:

That is honestly sad and odd to hear. Every inch and piece of equipment in a gym is Covered in body fluids with ever visitor exhaling double time yet a few finger prints on a flipper button is ground zero? Odd how these rules are picked. Do hope you and all operators pull through this.

#856 3 years ago
    Quoted from rmarket:

Maybe Gyms are different where you are but the one that I go to, it is considered proper Gym Etiquette to wipe the machines down after you use them and people do.

Do they wipe down dumbbell handles and all the 45lb plates? I have never seen anyone do that before. I agree with you about the different weight and cardio machines but never in the free weight section.

#857 3 years ago
    Quoted from crazypinballguy:

My wife and I had a great time at the PHOF last year for our 10 yr. anniversary.
    Had to get a shirt, of course.
    Oh yeah, and renewed our vows with the King.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Did you go next door and get happy ending massages? That’s the best part of the PHOF!! Pinball and relaxation...in the same parking lot!

#858 3 years ago
    Quoted from rmarket:

Lol. Smearing sweat off a metal machine with a dry towel is Not disinfecting! Dry yes, virus protected no chance. How many people have you ever seen walking around a gym with a bottle of alcohol spray or wipes while working out? If all you need is a dry towel etiquette to open this arcades should be ready to go then lol.

#859 3 years ago

Unfortunately, they do wipe the dumbbell handles. The disinfectant builds up in the knurling and makes them hard to hang on to. You're right about the plates, I've never seen a plate get wiped down. Personally I would take my chances at the gym over most places.

Back on topic. I just got word that my largest locations (around 60 games) won't be opening till July and it is a summer seasonal location. Most of their business there is from renting their hall out and they don't have any bookings for the rest of the summer yet.

Quoted from TheBrewhouse:

Do they wipe down dumbbell handles and all the 45lb plates? I have never seen anyone do that before. I agree with you about the different weight and cardio machines but never in the free weight section.

#860 3 years ago
    Quoted from rmarket:

Personally I would take my chances at the gym over most places.

Umm, I'd take my chances at almost any other indoor business, where people aren't huffing & puffing, touching all the same sweaty stuff, and sharing locker rooms. But then, my lazy ass wasn't at the gym even before all this.

#861 3 years ago

Yep... can't believe we aren't in Phase 2 when small rooms with sweaty people violently inhaling and exhaling made the cut.

The science does not follow.

Regardless, we are now as safe as any indoor place can possibly be. Masks for everyone, sanitizer, limited attendance, and six exterior shuttered fans around the perimeter will ensure continuous one-way airflow which is the primary COVID risk factor by far.

Fingers crossed. I worry as the numbers continue to spike, we won't get to Phase 3 at all. Or, that we open for a week before everything closes again like in South Korea. One infected person spread it to 50 others in a single bar. Again, airflow airflow airflow.

#862 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Yep... can't believe we aren't in Phase 2 when small rooms with sweaty people violently inhaling and exhaling made the cut.

You should ask some of the arcade lobbyists to talk with the fitness lobbyists to see how they got fitness centers included... oh wait there is not an arcade lobby group. That is that.

"We just really lucked out and were able to get our message into a couple of the right people's hands," said Meredith Poppler, a top official at the International Health, Racquet and Sportsclub Association, the industry's main trade group.

Poppler told CNN that in recent weeks IHRSA, which receives funding from many of the brand-name gym companies, began a full-court press to deal with the economic fallout hitting gyms and fitness clubs. That included hiring more lobbyists and aggressively pressing its message about the importance of physical fitness during a pandemic to lawmakers in Washington as well as officials in the Trump administration.

The messaging worked even better than they'd hoped.

"We were as surprised as anyone when we saw President Trump announce the three phases and that gyms were in the first phase," said Poppler."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/23/politics/gyms-reopening-lobbying-coronavirus-trump-phase-one/index.html

#863 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Regardless, we are now as safe as any indoor place can possibly be. Masks for everyone, sanitizer, limited attendance, and six exterior shuttered fans around the perimeter will ensure continuous one-way airflow which is the primary COVID risk factor by far.
    Fingers crossed. I worry as the numbers continue to spike, we won't get to Phase 3 at all. Or, that we open for a week before everything closes again like in South Korea. One infected person spread it to 50 others in a single bar. Again, airflow airflow airflow.

Most places around here in texas are relaxing their mask requirements. And along with that lots of people are not wearing masks now

#864 3 years ago

You should ask some of the arcade lobbyists to talk with the fitness lobbyists to see how they got fitness centers included... oh wait there is not an arcade lobby group. That is that.

There is one the AAMA and there's one for the amusement parks that FECs can also join. There are also State level organizations. The one in PA has been fighting with the state about the Skill games.

The gyms can't open soon enough for me. I go to the gym almost daily to keep some auto accident induced chronic pain in check and well it has been a living hell without being able to go.

#865 3 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

"We just really lucked out and were able to get our message into a couple of the right people's hands," said Meredith Poppler, a top official at the International Health, Racquet and Sportsclub Association, the industry's main trade group.
    Poppler told CNN that in recent weeks IHRSA, which receives funding from many of the brand-name gym companies, began a full-court press to deal with the economic fallout hitting gyms and fitness clubs. That included hiring more lobbyists and aggressively pressing its message about the importance of physical fitness during a pandemic to lawmakers in Washington as well as officials in the Trump administration.
    The messaging worked even better than they'd hoped.
    "We were as surprised as anyone when we saw President Trump announce the three phases and that gyms were in the first phase," said Poppler."
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/23/politics/gyms-reopening-lobbying-coronavirus-trump-phase-one/index.html

So I was discussing this with someone and the basic argument goes that food needs come first, but that exercise has been shown to improve the mental health issues with this pandemic. Ok, this goes in the category of true/true and unrelated/irrelevant. The social distancing is set up to decrease likelihood of transmission. The gyms for sure are likely to to have greater risk of transmission by airborne than pretty much any other business, given everything we know about air movement, heavy breathing, and enclosed spaces. I’m all for not having entertainment venues open until gyms and other indoor activities open. But to exclude entertainment venues over early opening of gyms is just stupidity run amok. The greased wheels of government/ lobbyists just continue to amaze me.

#866 3 years ago

Oh and here is the other kicker. Restaurants are allowed 50% capacity. One local beer hall claims that will let them bring in 125 people at a time. Same square footage as my arcade. I am letting in 10, them 125. Personal and social responsibility doesn’t apparently mean anything in this day and age

#867 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Oh and here is the other kicker. Restaurants are allowed 50% capacity. One local beer hall claims that will let them bring in 125 people at a time. Same square footage as my arcade. I am letting in 10, them 125. Personal and social responsibility doesn’t apparently mean anything in this day and age

Did you set the 10 person number or do you fall into a category that is still “no more than groups of 10”? Is your stuff mixed, or is it pins in one area and arcades in another that you could do a lon group of 10 and an arcade group of 10 and prevent mixing?

#868 3 years ago

The AMOA used the services of a multi-purpose lobbyist. Not sure if they still do as I am no longer a member. How many distributors and small ops are in this or their state associations these days?

It's times like these when a strong, well-funded organization comes in handy.

#869 3 years ago

I’m a gym owner, and here in Massachusetts, we’re phase three. We won’t be open any time soon. I would guess mid-July at the earliest, and it would be at a limited capacity.

#870 3 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Did you set the 10 person number or do you fall into a category that is still “no more than groups of 10”? Is your stuff mixed, or is it pins in one area and arcades in another that you could do a lon group of 10 and an arcade group of 10 and prevent mixing?

The answer is we don’t really know for sure. We just set 10 as an absolute lower limit until we get further guidance from the state on what they will allow. I’m guessing 25% in which case we will bump it to 25 people. But I can be sure that our local brew house is very liberally interpreting what constitutes max capacity.

#871 3 years ago

I can reopen SS Billiards next week Wednesday June 10th with precautions most of which are already in place.

LTG : )

#872 3 years ago

Cidercade in Dallas is back open. 50% capacity and some machines off for distancing.

#873 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I can reopen SS Billiards next week Wednesday June 10th with precautions most of which are already in place.
    LTG : )

Excellent! Things were getting desperate here and I was about to start looking at buying a Dialed In. I'm gonna come play yours instead!!!

#874 3 years ago

Lot of employees are staying on unemployment, rather than coming back. I know we lost about 4 out of 30ish, heard of a few places that had 90% turn over.

#875 3 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

Lot of employees are staying on unemployment, rather than coming back. I know we lost about 4 out of 30ish, heard of a few places that had 90% turn over.

A bunch of workers tried that where my wife works. It's Job abandonment. No unemployment insurance payments for several weeks. Once eligible, the $600.00/week bonus ends (maybe it gets renewed though) and they are quite behind money-wise.

Once it was explained, all but one came back. There's one in every crowd. He insisted he was going to be able to continue getting his unemployment uninterrupted. Two weeks later he came Crawling Back whining and crying when his plan didn't pan out.

#876 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

A bunch of workers tried that where my wife works. It's Job abandonment. No unemployment insurance payments for several weeks. Once eligible, the $600.00/week bonus ends (maybe it gets renewed though) and they are quite behind money-wise.
    Once it was explained, all but one came back. There's one in every crowd. He insisted he was going to be able to continue getting his unemployment uninterrupted. Two weeks later he came Crawling Back whining and crying when his plan didn't pan out.

We are dealing with this here with all of the bars and restaurants opening back up. Bar owners and managers are calling their employees back to work and they are refusing to come back. I'm telling them to make a schedule and send it to the employees, any one who doesn't show up is terminated, bye bye free money. We've had enough permanent closures of businesses around here (some not directly covid related) that there are going to be plenty of opportunities for those who actually do want to work.

#877 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I'm not sure how strict they are with that in Texas, I know pre-covid we had 2 people that were justifiably fired ( sadly we didn't have each incident documented) and they won their case. They were working somewhere else and still getting unemployment, for the full term. Doubt they ever got in trouble for it. At any rate we reported all the names that were eligible to come back, so now its btwn. them and the Texas workforce commission.

#878 3 years ago

Looks like Colorado pinball pub and Pinball Jones are starting to do hourly time slot rentals at locations this weekend. I hope this works and leads to more locations opening up. As soon as I can I plan to hit one of these up.

#879 3 years ago

The last 3 weeks, since my main location has opened, things have been down 75% pre-COVID. A lot of that comes from weekly tournaments which I am not running right now.

Overall it’s not the end of the world because this is not how I feed my family. However, I still have expenses that are due regularly and those are barely covered at this pace. I’ve been paying the minimum on my monthly debt payment instead of attacking that very aggressively. People are coming to play, but not anywhere close to normal.

#880 3 years ago
    Quoted from JRBBRJ:

Looks like Colorado pinball pub and Pinball Jones are starting to do hourly time slot rentals at locations this weekend. I hope this works and leads to more locations opening up. As soon as I can I plan to hit one of these up.

I honestly think this is the only way it can work. We would previously have up to 100 people in at a time which is not going to be allowed. I am treating this more like an escape room setup. I also think that it may allow small groups to book out a slot and hope they feel comfortable being together. But yeah it’s gonna be an adventure for sure

#881 3 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

The last 3 weeks, since my main location has opened, things have been down 75% pre-COVID. A lot of that comes from weekly tournaments which I am not running right now.
    Overall it’s not the end of the world because this is not how I feed my family. However, I still have expenses that are due regularly and those are barely covered at this pace. I’ve been paying the minimum on my monthly debt payment instead of attacking that very aggressively. People are coming to play, but not anywhere close to normal.

In exactly the same boat. Rent, utilities, repairs, insurance are all fixed costs. Salary is variable only to the extent that I limit hours.

Took out a SBA loan to service the higher interest debt and tide us over. Thank god this doesn’t pay my salary and put food on my family’s table. We would be destitute otherwise. I expect this place to run at least $30-50K in the red the next 12 months and that’s if we are lucky.

The irony here is that we were poised this year to pay off all debt and turn a profit finally before this all hit. Pretty much the same story everywhere. All I can say is thank god I only have $25K debt riding on this place right now. Any business that loaded up on debt is at the mercy of their creditors.

#882 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

In exactly the same boat. Rent, utilities, repairs, insurance are all fixed costs. Salary is variable only to the extent that I limit hours.
    Took out a SBA loan to service the higher interest debt and tide us over. Thank god this doesn’t pay my salary and put food on my family’s table. We would be destitute otherwise. I expect this place to run at least $30-50K in the red the next 12 months and that’s if we are lucky.
    The irony here is that we were poised this year to pay off all debt and turn a profit finally before this all hit. Pretty much the same story everywhere. All I can say is thank god I only have $25K debt riding on this place right now. Any business that loaded up on debt is at the mercy of their creditors.

This was supposed to be my get out of debt year as well.

AZ has been surging for the last week. I wouldn’t be shocked if we closed down the state again. I’m not even really looking at the test results as testing has increased here a lot recently. I’m looking at the % of ICU beds available and locally we are over 80% and I think Phoenix is too. At 80% last tome is when they closed all elective surgeries and many other things.

Trying to get too far off topic, but I might be back to watching on the sidelines soon.

#883 3 years ago
    Quoted from JRBBRJ:

As it stands right now, when we open, we will be using a sign up schedule(likely Sign-Up Genius) for our club members. It will be 2 hour sessions with a very limited number of people. Masks required and players must leave two open machines between each other.

#884 3 years ago

I would say currently we are down 90%. It's not what we thought however I am glad to have our staff back up and working. Some of them are glad to be back. With the precautions we are taking due to covid plus the minimized game collection, there is not really a long term plan other than to take it in the face and keep marching forward. Luckily our other revenue streams will keep us a float but I have zero foresight or projections now at this current juncture. Sad. I really used to enjoy forecasting futures and seeing if we could meet them. Good luck to everyone who is enduring this scenario. I hope your fortunes are better than mine thus far.

#885 3 years ago

Whelp another week, another delay to phase 3. This presents an interesting schism for me. I wearing my physician hat advocated to shut places down while we had little information about what was to hit, and there is little question reopening without massive testing programs has bumped the numbers. But as my business is further prevented from earning any income and there is no compensation for the now likely 4 months I am out of business while others are allowed to operate, yeah I am getting a bit ticked off. If there was some strong scientific rationale for any of these decisions I would perhaps be more supportive. But this basic idea that arcades are less worthy of reopening than a restaurant or a gym or a retail store is not rooted in any scientific notion. One can say having an arcade is not essential, but I’m not clear that going to a indoor restaurant or buying a new piece of furniture is any more essential to life. Visiting my Harbor Freight as I did to a packed store many without masks, there is little consistency here in how we are rolling out any of these phased reopening. It’s literally stick your finger up and see which way the wind is blowing. My arcade because of the multitude of countermeasures we have taken will be more safe than most indoor venues of any sort.

#886 3 years ago

the whole situation screams bullshit from day 1.

#887 3 years ago

Agreed with Pooks... science is not driving this, but payola certainly seems to be. Gyms should be Phase 10 based upon the amount of indoor huffing and puffing and sweating. I mean, dude, come on.

Exterior air baffles going in this week. Dual-fan with aluminum shutters and smoke-checked for airflow certainty. We'll probably be the safest joint in the state. I won't subject my guests and employees to preventable risks, period.

baffle (resized).jpgbaffle (resized).jpg

#888 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:But this basic idea that arcades are less worthy of reopening than a restaurant or a gym or a retail store is not rooted in any scientific notion.

Obviously Governor Northam never liked pinball.

#889 3 years ago

Is Logan arcade in Chicago open?

#890 3 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

Nope.

#891 3 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

barcades may need to wait to PHASE 4

#892 3 years ago

Hopefully they can come up with a really good treatment if not a vaccine soon, because going to the barcades a couple times a month was my one getaway from work and family for some me time. Every time I try to play my pins at home, my soon to be 3 year old son will come in and turn them off and say “no daddy”. For some reason, he doesn’t want me playing anymore.

Of course, I just heard some promising statements made about covid-19 on the news’s last night.

“It’s fading away....it’s going to fade away.”

So we got that to look forward to.

#893 3 years ago

Doot de doo...

4DB4E173-560F-47D3-B117-96FA34E10C6B (resized).jpeg4DB4E173-560F-47D3-B117-96FA34E10C6B (resized).jpeg

Of course, an arcade is probably more like a bowling alley than a library... but still! Way below gyms.

Pardon... this is a stupid list. A lot of it depends upon airflow which isn’t being taken under consideration. *facemaskpalm*

#894 3 years ago

Out here in Edmonton they categorized gyms/recreation center with casino's. We got the ok to open June 12 but we are officially opening up arcade today ....so we see how that goes.

#895 3 years ago

"Pontoon boat rides". That's oddly specific....LOL

#896 3 years ago

Cobra Arcade, a barcade brand with a location in Tucson and their first one in the Phoenix area was open for maybe 2-3 days and then closed on their own as we are in an increase in cases in AZ.

Earlier this week the governor updates some language so individual municipalities could make their own mask rules/laws. Tucson is going to require masks when in public in the next few days, and has published a list of exceptions.

My main location is a hockey rink and they have done good things with their current scheduling and cleaning cycles to mitigate what they can. Parents or significant others have lots of room to spread out so spacing isn’t an issue but I’m curious what the mask situation will be like next time I go in. The employees were the only ones wearing them recently and I would if anyone else was in the Pinball area, otherwise it’s decently secluded.

#897 3 years ago

Next Wednesday. Finally ! How long we will stay open for before cases spike and we have to close again is an open question.

#898 3 years ago

Shields up!

9868916E-0CDF-40D3-9684-989EE5E15A6E (resized).jpeg9868916E-0CDF-40D3-9684-989EE5E15A6E (resized).jpeg

00A97E29-B1E7-47D4-8B4A-7D37AC420A20 (resized).jpeg00A97E29-B1E7-47D4-8B4A-7D37AC420A20 (resized).jpeg

(the clamps are temporary... getting better ones ASAP)

#900 3 years ago

With the uptick in California the last few days, It’s not looking good that I’ll be able to visit my favorite barcades anytime soon. I’m guessing our governor is going to shut things down again.

There are 1,550 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-temporarily-closed-my-arcade-thread-/page/18?hl=hockeymag8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.