Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,550 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by NicoVolta
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

f065c571-4d48-42b0-bb09-3c0eba12b3f0_e45adf5f6bc0c5c2a30a39868f44eab6 (resized).jpg
    19C29A43-E7DC-4936-A608-01E5A7E8BAC5 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    7FE4CBEA-7690-41A8-B236-48E4A0FCC6B9 (resized).jpeg
    maginot (resized).jpg
    coway6 (resized).jpg
    coway5 (resized).jpg
    coway4 (resized).jpg
    coway3 (resized).jpg
    coway2 (resized).jpg
    coway1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1298 3 (resized).jpg
    Untitled 43 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1196 2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1074 (resized).jpg
    There are 1,550 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 31.
    #801 3 years ago

“Free society” is always a matter of interpretation. It’s not a slippery slope. We always have to balance the pros and cons.

Pure freedom is anarchy. Doesn’t work out well for most folks.

Anyway... back to the discussion... anyone open yet or opening soon?

#802 3 years ago

My main location does roller hockey and indoor soccer. They opened for pick-up hockey this past Friday and are coordinating with teams to see if they are ready to get seasons back up and running.

They are not allowing overlap of the groups like you typically have where the teams in the next game come into their locker rooms while the current teams are playing. They are cleaning the benches and locker rooms after each usage.

As for the pins, I am talking with the owner about how best to set things up. It’s mostly things that have been discussed here already. Our local player base is pretty small, so overcrowding isn’t really a risk, although when it’s safe i sure wish that was the reality. My biggest coin drop comes from tournament players and tournaments that I run and until IFPA opens up again I won’t be doing any of those.

#803 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

“Free society” is always a matter of interpretation. It’s not a slippery slope. We always have to balance the pros and cons.
    Pure freedom is anarchy. Doesn’t work out well for most folks.
    Anyway... back to the discussion... anyone open yet or opening soon?

Kidforce collectibles in OH is. Looks like they require masks, and every other game is available each day with the games available changing each day. The other half are turned off. Not sure what else they have done, but I’m sure attendance is limited too.

#804 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Kidforce collectibles in OH is. Looks like they require masks, and every other game is available each day with the games available changing each day. The other half are turned off. Not sure what else they have done, but I’m sure attendance is limited too.

For anyone doing the "half the games off" scenario, I highly recommend these:

Smart Plug, KMC WIFI MiNi Outle Works with Alexa, Google Home & IFTTT, Smart Life, No Hub Required, Remote Control Your Home Appliances from Anywhere, ETL Certified,Only Supports 2.4GHz Network(4 Pack

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QPZ5WMW/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_7xEWEb15JC2Y2

$5 each, so simple my 10 yo set them all up for me today, one on each game to easily control what is up and what is not.

Also, there is another thread on my building the poor man's version of an automatic social distancer in the Operating/Route subforum. I'll have a working version in the next week and detail everything so anyone can build for themselves and I'll provide the software for free. I am using this to allow me to keep all games on all the time, but enforce one game between players.

#805 3 years ago

Can it be this simple? Look no further than Disney enterprises that recently updated their website with this notice regarding their Florida operations.

Excerpt shown below. Link to the entire notice is: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/travel-information/

87347614898978y342 (resized).PNG87347614898978y342 (resized).PNG

#806 3 years ago

yup, just put out a sign and it's all fixed. Just like on the preparation H tube, is says. "Don't take orally." Problem solved. No longer responsible.

#807 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

How about we just become a FREE society? We were once...unfortunately this was lost someplace.
    Now get the hell off my lawn!

Thank you so much for speaking out on behalf of the Silent Majority, whom have no desire (or become reluctant) to speak out, not wanting to get into arguments with the flocks of sheep whom take "mainstream stories" and propoganda, as gospel.

index.jpegindex.jpeg

*The dv ratio here will provide a telling story, to the few whom are able to think for themselves.

#808 3 years ago

Although I'm only one man's opinion - I think it's great you guys are brainstorming ideas to combat Covid-19 in your establishments and build trust for your potential patrons. However, I don't think it's going to move the needle much, at least initially. It's really going to come down personal preference. Some are going to be comfortable coming into your arcade, others won't, no matter what you do.

Before you invest tons of money into a solution, just remember it's going to take time for the general public to adjust. You could implement every safety precaution imaginable, but it only takes one inconsiderate jerk to get you sick.

I wish the best of luck to all arcade owners, operators, and small businesses out there. I really feel for you guys.

#809 3 years ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Although I'm only one man's opinion - I think it's great you guys are brainstorming ideas to combat Covid-19 in your establishments and build trust for your potential patrons. However, I don't think it's going to move the needle much, at least initially. It's really going to come down personal preference. Some are going to be comfortable coming into your arcade, others won't, no matter what you do.
    Before you invest tons of money into a solution, just remember it's going to take time for the general public to adjust. You could implement every safety precaution imaginable, but it only takes one inconsiderate jerk to get you sick.
    I wish the best of luck to all arcade owners, operators, and small businesses out there. I really feel for you guys.

You are totally and completely correct here. The belief that any business owner can control the narrative here is totally off base. If my arcade has taught me anything over the last two years, it is that I have very little control over who comes and why they come. Given that, I could easily throw the doors open, no changes, and come what may. I take all these measures (and dear god it’s cost me money) because as a physician it’s the right thing to do. I want to help set the example that others can hopefully follow and improve upon. At the same time I retain the humility to know it can never be enough, and no matter what I do there is a very real possibility that we won’t even hit 25% of our pre pandemic income. In fact I expect to lose somewhere between $30-50K this year even running on bare bones minimum. I have two choices, close or do my best within reason. I have chosen the latter

#810 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yup, just put out a sign and it's all fixed. Just like on the preparation H tube, is says. "Don't take orally." Problem solved. No longer responsible.

While I am no huge fan of Disney, I actually respect this. Agree that read one way you could say they absolve themselves of any responsibility (and we know they will do that wherever possible). Read another way, it’s basically saying “If you expect by crossing our entrance that we can protect you completely from catching this ... we can’t”. I plan to put something like this up, mainly to inform people of risk. Legal disclaimer/ informed consent .... it’s kinda both.

#811 3 years ago

My arcade will be taking the Disney route when we open. The only reason I even started Flip OFF! was to provide an escape from the current world we live in, not to be reminded of it at every turn. I'll sell the shit before I'm forced to run some half assed version of what I intended it to be.

With that said, I only wish the best to all the operators here, regardless of how you choose to operate. In my opinion society needs classic arcade gaming venues more than we realize. Thier resurgence in popularity these past years speaks volumes. The other day my wife was watching a netflix show and in that particular episode the featured family was depicted having a blast playing pinball and arcade games at a bar. I have shared that same moment with my loved ones many times before. Lots of good memories. Watching that scene stirred quite a few emotions inside me. I felt anger and sadness mostly, at the thought that those care-free days might not ever return.

#812 3 years ago

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-risk-higher-tight-indoor-spaces-with-little-air-flow-2020-5

https://www.afp.com/en/news/15/hamster-tests-show-masks-reduce-coronavirus-spread-scientists-doc-1rr49p1

None of this is perfect but it backs up the contention that wearing masks and having decent ventilation can help mitigate airborne virus.

And yes hampsters oddly were found to be easily infected with SARS a decade ago.

When I wear a mask I tell patients that I do so more to protect them, than myself. Seeing many patients I am at much higher risk of eventually getting this. I am in a confined 10 ft room in close contact. We bleach between each patient but airflow is still minimal.

Also on a relative risk basis sitting in your office at work all day long with your colleagues, all without masks, is probably the riskiest of any activity you can do right now. Well, getting on a subway is worse, but there your exposure is probably 15 min not 8 hours

If you can’t circulate air from the outside, air purifiers are probably the next best thing. Minimum HEPA 13.

#813 3 years ago

My thoughts on this... if any business chooses to open, the worst case scenario is someone sues you for getting it. In that worst case, think about how you would defend yourself. You would show a picture of your liability disclaimer signs you posted everywhere (like Disney one above) in addition to all the over-the-top sanitizing measures etc you are doing (and do them). It’s not about whether you think they make sense or not, if you show proof you were taking all this care and consideration and had liability signs everwhere, my guess is that there is not a court on earth that would side against you. Plus they would have to prove they got it from your establishment and not somewhere else which would be impossible.

Now if you had a sign that made some reference to not believing in all this and took little care to clean because you were making some political statement etc, then you leave yourself and your business wide open for lawsuit. This is why, in my opinion, if you own a business, you should not even advertise your conpiracy views during these crazy times because it could be used against you (imagine a patron dies which is not impossible and the family calls a lawyer). Your pinside/facebook posts may become exhibit A. When it comes to defending lawsuits against your business, it will be those who acted as sheep that successfully defend themselves.

Sure, I’m talking worst case scenarios here but I think these worst cases are behind much of the fear of reopening these days. I just sympathise with business owners these days and thought I’d share my thoughts.

It’s either reopen and show that you are doing everything (and more) than is possible to provide a safe environment or close shop - there is no in between IMO.

#814 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

When I wear a mask I tell patients that I do so more to protect them, than myself.

I am having custom masks made for all of our organizations in this style:

DC72CAC4-2750-4E2D-8EB1-E8206F58D81F (resized).jpegDC72CAC4-2750-4E2D-8EB1-E8206F58D81F (resized).jpeg

84BB6035-0A71-4022-AA60-825A22782E44 (resized).jpeg84BB6035-0A71-4022-AA60-825A22782E44 (resized).jpeg

This is important for building trust and showing that you are taking this seriously.

1E0CA96F-D0E5-4B4F-B754-E7B7A4AD946A (resized).jpeg1E0CA96F-D0E5-4B4F-B754-E7B7A4AD946A (resized).jpeg

Actually our logo looks pretty cool on these! I’m glad we will be able to convey a sense of competency and back it up with a virus mitigation strategy that works.

#815 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

CONTENT WARNING:
    What the hell ever happened to personal responsibility?
    How about we just let the government notify us of certain risks and then make our own personal decisions to accept the risks or heed the warnings? How about if we make poor life decisions ... we accept personal responsibility for these decisions along with the consequences of those decisions without expecting aid from anyone to alleviate the pain of those decisions?

The issue with this situation is very different than most others. If you decide to drive a car without wearing a seat belt you are not putting others at risk (just yourself), if you go boating and don't wear a life preserver (you are no risk to others), ride your motorcycle without a helmet (same deal). But with the Coronavirus if you don't take precautions you are putting others at risk - not yourself.

Sadly 30% of Americans (or maybe more) have not done their "homework" and don't fully understand just how serious this virus is. We will have over 100,000 people dead in less than three months and likely between a 500,000 and a million dead before the end of this year if people keep doing "stupid". One careless person can spread this virus to dozens of people in a matter of a day or two. Those dozens of people can spread it to hundreds within a week. And those hundreds of people can spread it to thousands (or even tens of thousands) within a couple weeks. And this can all happen before anyone ever realizes they are sick. SCARY STUFF if you take a little time to fully understand this virus.

This is like a bunch of people getting so drunk they can't walk then having them each drive home on a busy Interstate. This isn't driving home without a seat belt!

#816 3 years ago

Its always been my plan to promote a clean, healthy environment. Contagious diseases are nothing new and should always be considered in an business which relies on its customers to touch multiple surfaces.

The hand sanitizing station I once only considered prior to this is now going to be a priority. I already was going fully disposable regarding the cutlery, with the exception of pint glasses, but even that may change now.

In addition to the bathroom signage that encourages thorough hand cleaning, there might be addtional signage promoting usage of the hand sanitizer station when switching games. That and the front door Covid warning.

Enforcing face mask and social distancing at a barcade sounds about as appealing as going to the dentist. Thats just me.

#817 3 years ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

Enforcing face mask and social distancing at a barcade sounds about as appealing as going to the dentist. Thats just me.

Definitely not just you. Barcades (or bars for that matter) are going to have some interesting times figuring what the new normal is. Will probably vary state to state but way I imagine most will compromise is mask on while playing games, beer only in one area and ok for mask off there. Mask back on and hand sanitize back on for playing games. Do the same thing at my hospital. Clinic mask on, lunch room mask off, tables 6 feet apart, sanitize back in. I suspect your customers will be fine with it, at least I hope they will be. We will all figure it out one way or another, mask or no mask as the case may be

#818 3 years ago

Wouldn't it be easier to just have Members Only, have new Members watch a short video and sign a Legal Waiver?
    Tort Reform is being discussed to protect Venue Owners from being liable, won't this become inclusive?
    Apologies if this has been covered.
    Video would explain the risks, that Members take all responsibility to avoid specific dangers.

#819 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Definitely not just you. Barcades (or bars for that matter) are going to have some interesting times figuring what the new normal is.

They announced the requirement for us on monday for opening friday. The bar itself can't be used, 6 people to a table max (6ft. apart), hand santizer at the front door, arcades still have to be shut off, dancing is discouraged?, and masks aren't required but recommended. Would be difficult to open if you were a barcade with games in every nook and cranny.

#820 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

While I am no huge fan of Disney, I actually respect this. Agree that read one way you could say they absolve themselves of any responsibility (and we know they will do that wherever possible). Read another way, it’s basically saying “If you expect by crossing our entrance that we can protect you completely from catching this ... we can’t”. I plan to put something like this up, mainly to inform people of risk. Legal disclaimer/ informed consent .... it’s kinda both.

Well I'm sure Disney has similar language on their tickets for all risks while in the park, but if the rides had a 3% death rate, or even a 0.03% death rate, nobody would ride them.

Beware the invisible killer. You buys your ticket and you take your chances...

#821 3 years ago

Maybe we can have an arcades with something like this to play in https://pillarbooth.com/pages/pillar-protect-booth

#822 3 years ago

Pinball may have reached the risk level of whitewater rafting to the general populace.
    Remove liability from covid19 by requiring signed waivers during the Membership process.
    Done.

#823 3 years ago

CDC is now saying the likihood of getting the virus from touching surfaces is low. Good news for you guys.

But, good luck educating people after months of social conditioning.

I think it's like AFM said. Some will be comfortable coming in and some won't, no matter what you do.

And beware if you do too much you'll scare off the comfortable people as well. Forced masks, forced gloves, forced distancing, plexi barriers everywhere and other stuff like that will be major turn offs for many.

#824 3 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

CDC is now saying the likihood of getting the virus from touching surfaces is low. Good news for you guys.
    But, good luck educating people after months of social conditioning.
    I think it's like AFM said. Some will be comfortable coming in and some won't, no matter what you do.
    And beware if you do too much you'll scare off the comfortable people as well. Forced masks, forced gloves, forced distancing, plexi barriers everywhere and other stuff like that will be major turn offs for many.

#825 3 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:But, good luck educating people after months of social conditioning.

The half life of the virus on stainless steel, which many lockbars are made of, is 12+ hours. More than a week to completely decay.

https://www.dhs.gov/science-and-technology/sars-calculator

#826 3 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

The half life of the virus on stainless steel, which many lockbars are made of, is 12+ hours. More than a week to completely decay.
    https://www.dhs.gov/science-and-technology/sars-calculator

I have the solution...

...oh never mind.

#827 3 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

what mode is this? Does this happen after you rule the universe?

#828 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think Joe and Don have a pretty comprehensive list on their FB page so there may be more, but I believe number of patrons in the store is limited and wipes and sanitizer are placed by each game to be used before and after (and I believe upon store entry). Currently no league, tournaments, etc. just casual play.

#829 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

what mode is this? Does this happen after you rule the universe?

That's what I wondered when I first saw that.

Then I assumed this... https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/afm95

#830 3 years ago

I got an email from Betson about ‘BioCode 100’. It seems to be a product similar to what pookycade had posted earlier in the thread. Though from what I could tell from the SD product site is that it’s EPA registered, but they don’t list the certification number. BioCide does, for whatever that might be worth.

https://www.betsonparts.com/amusement-redemption/cleaning-maintenance/biocide-100-gallon.html?mc_cid=e126e3ed57&mc_eid=6c59eec460

252C6EDB-40F6-4967-91F0-B2F1F4A43526 (resized).jpeg252C6EDB-40F6-4967-91F0-B2F1F4A43526 (resized).jpeg

#831 3 years ago

UV- lit flipper buttons on a timer. Sanitizes while you play.
    Theres your dinner.

#832 3 years ago

I'm driving down to FL next week from DC.. Anyone know if any arcades or barcades are open yet in any of the southern states (SC, GA, FL). I wouldn't mind making a quick side trip from 95 if anything's open.

#834 3 years ago
    Quoted from GamerMD:

I'm driving down to FL next week from DC.. Anyone know if any arcades or barcades are open yet in any of the southern states (SC, GA, FL). I wouldn't mind making a quick side trip from 95 if anything's open.

Pedro would be so sad if you didn't stop at South of the Border in Dillon, SC. I-95 at the NC/SC border. Nice arcades. The one with pins historically has them in fair to poor condition.

#835 3 years ago
    Quoted from GamerMD:

We’re still waiting on the official word on Phase Two businesses... but we’re standing at the ready nonetheless.

BF26ACD9-4A40-40A6-8606-88FEBA03FE35 (resized).jpegBF26ACD9-4A40-40A6-8606-88FEBA03FE35 (resized).jpeg
    #836 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

We’re still waiting on the official word on Phase Two businesses... but we’re standing at the ready nonetheless.
    [quoted image]

Awesome! Love the Roanoke Pinball Museum and will hopefully make it back there later this summer if VA keeps reopening things.

-Jimmy

#837 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Pedro would be so sad if you didn't stop at South of the Border in Dillon, SC. I-95 at the NC/SC border. Nice arcades. The one with pins historically has them in fair to poor condition.

Wow I never knew South of the Border had pinballs. That's good to know. I stopped there a year or two ago for the first time in forever but only checked out a souveneir tourist trap type place.

#838 3 years ago
    Quoted from GamerMD:

Wow I never knew South of the Border had pinballs. That's good to know. I stopped there a year or two ago for the first time in forever but only checked out a souveneir tourist trap type place.

About twenty the last time I was there.

#839 3 years ago

Hope everyone is staying safe in the Twin Cities. I'm listening to police scanners in Ramsey county and a lot of businesses are under attack. Many pinball locations in very close proximity but life is more important at the moment. Unfortunately this will make reopening yet another struggle on top of the virus.

#840 3 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Hope everyone is staying safe in the Twin Cities. I'm listening to police scanners in Ramsey county and a lot of businesses are under attack. Many pinball locations in very close proximity but life is more important at the moment. Unfortunately this will make reopening yet another struggle on top of the virus.

I went to all my "at risk" locations and opened all my games and ATMs when covid shut everything down. I was concerned that something could happen. People are looking for reasons to let some anger out. I hope it stays contained and other places decide not to join in the fun. Businesses are having a hard enough time trying to survive. We dont need more hurdles.

#841 3 years ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

Businesses are having a hard enough time trying to survive. We dont need more hurdles.

Looters were allowed to run wild in Oakland last night storming Starbucks, Banks, and bars in which housed operated pins.
    I understand the frustration, but these acts are icing on the cake for local businesses already struggling to reopen.
    Terrible.

#842 3 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Looters were allowed to run wild in Oakland last night storming Starbucks, Banks, and bars in which housed operated pins.
    I understand the frustration, but these acts are icing on the cake for local businesses already struggling to reopen.
    Terrible.

Sadly this will be the end of many of them ever reopening.

LTG : (

#843 3 years ago

PHOF opened yesterday at reduced hours with every second game off. Masks required at ALL time. No outside food or beverage. No infants No strollers. All gun games with long rifles OFF. Did 387 dollars in games Sold 120 worth of membership. It is a strat up a long slow process to recovery.

At the same time, I paid 105,000 dollars for air conditioning units at the new location, along with 83,000 for rebar, and 43,000 for ceiling fans and ducts work.

While these costs were included in our budget and were anticipated, it is REALLY scary to spend that much money while little is coming in.

#844 3 years ago

My wife and I had a great time at the PHOF last year for our 10 yr. anniversary.

Had to get a shirt, of course.

Oh yeah, and renewed our vows with the King.

Screenshot_20200530-133637_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200530-133637_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200530-133731_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200530-133731_Gallery (resized).jpg
    #845 3 years ago
    Quoted from timarnold:

it is REALLY scary to spend that much money while little is coming in.

I hear what your saying especially when your in a tourism city and i think it will be slow in vegas for a bit at least on the international side. Im not sure what would have been worse ......going through all this during the building process or if it happened after you moved in.

Great to hear you are open though....Looking like still have a another month or 2 to wait out here but we are having a meeting tomorrow to figure out future plans on how to reopen and reposition games etc etc. but it great to have this thread going for ideas from everyone else.

#846 3 years ago

Our local place in the mall reopened a week ago. I stopped in BumperNets a couple days ago and it was next to empty. They are on a rotating schedule, keeping two pins turned off between the ones that are turned on. They did tell me that if any pins I wanted to play, just turn off the ones next to it. I played Elvira HOH and a brand new JP pro. I wore my mask the entire time. It was great to play some pinball in the wild after all this time!

#847 3 years ago

*gasp* Musee Mechanique is in trouble. Please donate and share if you can.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/musee-mecanique

#848 3 years ago

I am watching tear gas getting launched right outside 1up in Denver. Hopefully that doesn’t seep into the building. I sure do hope all you operators stay safe and undamaged during this sad time.

I also can’t wait to spend loads of coins in all your establishments once I can.

#849 3 years ago

Next Level Pinball Museum outside Portland reopens tomorrow.

#850 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

*gasp* Musee Mechanique is in trouble. Please donate and share if you can.
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/musee-mecanique

oh no! I will definitely donate.
    And of course we're so relieved they weren't hurt in the pier fire there a few weeks ago.

There are 1,550 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-temporarily-closed-my-arcade-thread-/page/17?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.