Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,550 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by NicoVolta
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

f065c571-4d48-42b0-bb09-3c0eba12b3f0_e45adf5f6bc0c5c2a30a39868f44eab6 (resized).jpg
    19C29A43-E7DC-4936-A608-01E5A7E8BAC5 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    7FE4CBEA-7690-41A8-B236-48E4A0FCC6B9 (resized).jpeg
    maginot (resized).jpg
    coway6 (resized).jpg
    coway5 (resized).jpg
    coway4 (resized).jpg
    coway3 (resized).jpg
    coway2 (resized).jpg
    coway1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1298 3 (resized).jpg
    Untitled 43 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1196 2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1074 (resized).jpg
    There are 1,550 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 31.
    #651 3 years ago

I don't think there is any way to make an arcade a safe socially distant place. I love pinball, but I wouldn't let my children out to any area where they can pick up the virus - it's why our schools are closed. I think it's intellectually dishonest to think otherwise. As long as restaurants can't seat people, arcades need to stay shut. Until plans are in place to test, and cases show a good steady decline. I know that's hard. I want more pinball arcades, not less.

Maybe you have people make reservations, between which everything is wiped down? 20-30 min time slots where they are the only ones in the arcade. I don't know.

I think of it as America in WW2, where everyone had to sacrifice some for the good of the country. We're all in this together, none of this "but my freedoms" crap. All freedoms are in moderation to circumstances, which is why you don't have a free speech right to shout fire in a crowded theatre. I hope we get a handle on this by late summer.

#652 3 years ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

I don't think there is any way to make an arcade a safe socially distant place. I love pinball, but I wouldn't let my children out to any area where they can pick up the virus - it's why our schools are closed. I think it's intellectually dishonest to think otherwise. As long as restaurants can't seat people, arcades need to stay shut. Until plans are in place to test, and cases show a good steady decline. I know that's hard. I want more pinball arcades, not less.
    Maybe you have people make reservations, between which everything is wiped down? 20-30 min time slots where they are the only ones in the arcade. I don't know.
    I think of it as America in WW2, where everyone had to sacrifice some for the good of the country. We're all in this together, none of this "but my freedoms" crap. All freedoms are in moderation to circumstances, which is why you don't have a free speech right to shout fire in a crowded theatre. I hope we get a handle on this by late summer, but seeing how the current admin is a bumbling force of lies, it's going to be difficult for all the states to be on the same page, making the task take longer than it should under a competent administration.

Appreciate your opinion and I'm sure many will feel the same. I'm not sure I would call it intellectually dishonest though. Short of staying in your house, any activity that involves collections of people confers risk. Going to take your kids to the pediatrician ... risk. Grocery store ... risk. Playground ... risk. Little league or basketball teams ... risk. Vacation at any venue ... risk. And I, nor anyone else can even quantify that risk for you. If you are amongst 10 people is there a 1:10000, 1:1000, 1:10 chance of infection ? Without testing and more data you could never know. That's what leaves us all paranoid. I am not trying to downplay any of this, we all will make decisions on behalf of ourselves and our kids and our job is to do the best we can for them. I think its perfectly fine for each family to define what risk they are comfortable with. I also for my own business have to define what risk I am willing to accept to my customers and employees. Any responsible business owner has to do that, and on top of that be a microcosm for the debate of economy versus safety. I have let people who follow my arcade page know all the steps that we are taking - and its more than most - but I made clear that there is no such thing as 100% sterile risk free. As we have more knowledge we will make better informed decisions. If its decided that my arcade is a public health hazard far greater than everything else out there, we will close. For now, we go with what information we have.

#653 3 years ago

Hi Pooky -

Maybe my words aren't the right ones. But i want the country to be smart, come back to a new normal as quickly as we can. I'm surprised you can be open, our state has everyone except essential services closed. The information we have, right now, is that COVID-19 is highly contagious, lingers in the air and on surfaces, doesn't show symptoms for a week after infection, and remains in the nasal passages for 21 days after getting sick. As I posted elsewhere, I know one friend who lost his mother to COVID-19, and another friend in fantastic shape laid low. It's great that you have let your customers know that you have taken steps. But encouraging people to congregate in the middle of a pandemic just doesn't seem like a good idea. In hard times, I've had to sell off most of my pinball collection. I would think arcades that are closed could do the same to float a couple months. But if your state isn't one of the responsible ones, maybe it wouldn't matter - there are bound to be more outbreaks in the area anyway.

#654 3 years ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

Hi Pooky -
    Maybe my words aren't the right ones. But i want the country to be smart, come back to a new normal as quickly as we can. I'm surprised you can be open, our state has everyone except essential services closed. The information we have, right now, is that COVID-19 is highly contagious, lingers in the air and on surfaces, doesn't show symptoms for a week after infection, and remains in the nasal passages for 21 days after getting sick. As I posted elsewhere, I know one friend who lost his mother to COVID-19, and another friend in fantastic shape laid low. It's great that you have let your customers know that you have taken steps. But encouraging people to congregate in the middle of a pandemic just doesn't seem like a good idea. In hard times, I've had to sell off most of my pinball collection. I would think arcades that are closed could do the same to float a couple months. But if your state isn't one of the responsible ones, maybe it wouldn't matter - there are bound to be more outbreaks in the area anyway.

Oh, we can't open for likely another 6 weeks in Virginia. Just getting ready to do so and that is a load in of itself. I don't think anyone has this all figured out, but the rule of thumb most are using is that 14 day consecutive decrease in cases is enough to allow people outdoors again. Our governor is a physician so is being a bit more on the cautious side than say Georgia. But there is a guarantee that cases eventually spike again and then we get to all go back indoors again. Its gonna be that way for a while. We will follow state rules for how many can be in one place at one time and try to keep customers 6 ft apart in addition to disinfecting every surface we can (see earlier in thread for our approach). I don't have all the answers here, and really will just keep following best practices. I can tell you the moment cases spike in my area we close again (and before others are forced into that decision) as we did ahead of everyone else before. It will be an interesting 18-24 months here.

#655 3 years ago

Echoing what Gov. Cuomo said... there may be a risk admitting people coming from high-infection zones looking for escapism.

Should this be a concern? If so, what would the solution be? "Please present your DL. All zipcodes beyond 100 miles will not be admitted at this time."

Fun fun fun :/

#656 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Echoing what Gov. Cuomo said... there may be a risk admitting people coming from high-infection zones looking for escapism.
    Should this be a concern? If so, what would the solution be? "Please present your DL. All zipcodes beyond 100 miles will not be admitted at this time."
    Fun fun fun :/

Was the context within state lines or across state lines? Was there a mass exodus away from NYC? If there was going to be I would have imagines it already would have happened.

Can you legally check ID and turn those from out of the area away? What about college kids who are away from home (in state or out of state) and all sorts of other exceptions that might have to be accounted for.

At work if you have to go in, I don’t at this point typically, but I am “essential”, they are doing remote temperature scans. Wearing masks is mandatory in addition to the 6’ rule that has been in place for weeks. If you don’t have a mask, a disposable one is available in several locations. This mask rule does not replace the 6’ rule. Sounds like businesses that are looking to open are going to have to create this type of environment as well until it’s no longer needed.

#657 3 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Was the context within state lines or across state lines? Was there a mass exodus away from NYC? If there was going to be I would have imagines it already would have happened.
    Can you legally check ID and turn those from out of the area away? What about college kids who are away from home (in state or out of state) and all sorts of other exceptions that might have to be accounted for.
    At work if you have to go in, I don’t at this point typically, but I am “essential”, they are doing remote temperature scans. Wearing masks is mandatory in addition to the 6’ rule that has been in place for weeks. If you don’t have a mask, a disposable one is available in several locations. This mask rule does not replace the 6’ rule. Sounds like businesses that are looking to open are going to have to create this type of environment as well until it’s no longer needed.

also rules like that will = issues with sanctioning under IFPA rules.

#658 3 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

also rules like that will = issues with sanctioning under IFPA rules.

Maybe not if these are government rules. I asked Josh on FB today I’d the IFPA has any thoughts about when to start sanctioning events again based on differences between plans of different states. He said they would make a post regarding timing and rules through the IFPA page and likely FB. Didn’t give a time estimate when this might happen, but it’s not exactly urgent at this point.

#659 3 years ago

#660 3 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Maybe not if these are government rules. I asked Josh on FB today I’d the IFPA has any thoughts about when to start sanctioning events again based on differences between plans of different states. He said they would make a post regarding timing and rules through the IFPA page and likely FB. Didn’t give a time estimate when this might happen, but it’s not exactly urgent at this point.

different states with rules like max people being differnt is one thing but banning out of state people or people based on where they live is differnt.

But does the IFPA really want to deal with papa like ticket buy rushes at small 8-50 people max events?.

As for rules they may need to balance points for at least the for the old vs new rules? as some things like stern pro may have to have an dead year if say some events are max 25-50 people even more so if techs / staff (non playing) count as part of the pop cap.

State finales may need to be way more open.

#661 3 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

different states with rules like max people being differnt is one thing but banning out of state people or people based on where they live is differnt.
    But does the IFPA really want to deal with papa like ticket buy rushes at small 8-50 people max events?.
    As for rules they may need to balance points for at least the for the old vs new rules? as some things like stern pro may have to have an dead year if say some events are max 25-50 people even more so if techs / staff (non playing) count as part of the pop cap.
    State finales may need to be way more open.

Honestly, what concerns me more here is less IFPA tournaments (though I know that is important to some people and get it). I worry more about our pinball leagues. I mean I'm not exactly a youngster, but I'm definitely a bit younger than many league members. How do we handle it so they feel safe coming out. In the past we would allow league players to come in during the normal public hours and make up skipped sessions. I am thinking of making this a more permanent feature, but without the public. That is set aside times that we can let say 5 people in there from the normal 40 so that can still be part of the league. We will call it the social distancing league.

#662 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

concerns me more here is less IFPA tournaments (though I know that is important to some people and get it). I worry more about our pinball leagues

A league can be IFPA sanctioned too. It's just a tournament that takes several sessions. Players earn WPPRs at any sanctioned event.

The IFPA people will put some thought into it and come up with appropriate changes.

#663 3 years ago

The only idea I have for leagues and tournaments to run is some sort of broken up format. People play in extremely small groups at different times, or even different locations. We're a long way away from having dozens of people get together at once.

#664 3 years ago

I've been running Magic City Pinball League for over 10 years. We are(were) on the calendar to begin back on May 5th. I was hopeful this could actually happen but there's no way. Our location, BumperNets, is in a huge shopping mall and the entire place has been closed for sometime. What will our league look like when they finally do reopen? I really don't know, but I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Our league typically has around 30 players, spread out over a lot of square feet and about 34 pins. But sometimes just by coincidence, 75% of the players will be crammed into 20% of the space. That will have to change. I don't want to limit the numbers of players but I will have to limit players exposure to one another. I think at first masks will have to be mandatory. Games will need to be spread out or at least every other game turned off, etc. The owners have always provided hand sanitizer and wiped down the machines regularly. That will need to increase as well. So many question marks! But we will be back for season #34!

http://mcpl.league.papa.org/

#665 3 years ago
    #666 3 years ago

My response to this is that yes you make money available, and do not specifically exclude companies, then their applying for it is the fault of bad rules, not bad behavior. I don’t blame shake shack or anyone else for applying for free money. They have expenses too. I do blame our legislators for implementing a bad and poorly designed program that was underfunded. If they had put in enough money, no feeding frenzy would have been needed here. When most of us think about small business, we think about the flower shop at the corner, the restaurant downtown, the arcade in the suburbs. Those are really the backbone of what makes our cities great. The messed up aspect of this is that small business is defined as less than 500 employees. I’m sorry, if you have 500 employees in your business, no lay person would call that small. I propose that we have a new department called the “really small business administration” RSBA limited to less than 30 employees.

#667 3 years ago

rock fantasy ( my shop & arcade ) has been forced to close weeks ago other than curbside pickup from our smoke shop . zero help from government so far ! I fear for the worst and I started selling off games I had at the local bowling alley and brewery . this week I am starting to sell selected games from the shop to gain funds to attempt to ride this out ! not sure they will ever let us reopen I am also a record & smoke shop for those who don't know . stay home with no money coming in is not great plan either is going out and contracting it

#668 3 years ago

It’s a double edge sword/catch 22....everyone wants to go out and businesses want to open up. But everyone wants to do it safely.

The question NO ONE can answer is what is safe right now. No one really knows. I guess we will all find out as things start to open up....if we see a spike I am sure they will lock it down. If the numbers stay the same or decline I am sure more things will open up.

Fauci said it best...”the virus tells us when to go back to work.”

Hope the best for everyone!!!

#669 3 years ago

A long term disinfectant solution that doesn't damage the machines AND proper Signage will be key to opening our arcade and hopefully having people not be too afraid to touch anything. Wondering if the pinball community or an arcade trade association has given its endorsement to any product yet.
    Here's another found via google: https://germfreeinnovations.com/

#670 3 years ago

Looking for feedback from fellow Pinsiders.

This post is lengthy, but I'd like to give you some background ... (stop reading now if you're already bored.)

I opened a small pinball lounge just a mile from my house last summer. The official grand opening was in November 2019. This is a part-time thing, Thurs-Sun. I have another full-time job to earn my living.

Now Here Pinball has 16 pinball machines and 1 virtual pin with 270+ games. All machines are set for Free Play. Customers are charged based on the amount of time they want to play.

$10 - Up to 1 hour
    $15 - 1 to 2 hours
    $20 - 2+ hours

Current Pinball Machines:

Aerosmith (Pro) (Stern, 2017)
    Austin Powers (Stern, 2001)
    Dirty Harry (Williams, 1995)
    Guardians of the Galaxy (Pro) (Stern, 2017)
    Gorgar (Williams, 1979)
    Laser War (Data East, 1987)
    Last Action Hero (Data East, 1993)
    Lethal Weapon 3 (Data East, 1992)
    Mousin' Around! (Bally, 1989)
    The Munsters (Pro) (Stern, 2019)
    Phantom of the Opera (Data East, 1990)
    Slick Chick (Gottlieb, 1963)
    Super Star (Williams, 1972)
    Tally Ho (Exhibit, 1947)
    Target Alpha (Gottlieb, 1976)
    Team One (Gottlieb, 1977)

I've been closed since mid March and still not sure exactly when I can reopen. The rent and utilities are pretty reasonable, $800/mo. and I have no employees so I'm not that worried if I can hang in there for a while longer, it's more, where do I go from here once I can reopen.

I've thought of creating memberships for individuals, couples and families. I would sell just enough to cover the $800 I need to keep the place open.

By doing it this way, I'm thinking I can promote the fact that we are not open to random people just showing up to play pinball. Members would know our policies ahead of time and what we do to maintain a safe and sanitary place for their enjoyment.

Members would sign a membership agreement that covers all the essentials deemed necessary at the time ... (ie., masks must be worn, handwashing before beginning to play, etc.)

My place has never been that busy, maybe only a dozen or so people on a weekend. Cortland, NY is a small community located 45 minutes from Syracuse
    and Binghamton, and 30 minutes from Ithaca, NY.

If I could sell just 20 memberships at $40 a month, it could keep my lounge going and I'd be super happy. If I was lucky enough to hit my monthly goal on a regular basis, I could create a waiting list for new members wanting to join.

Any thoughts? How about pricing? Looking at my list of games; what would you be willing to pay for an individual membership? .. a couple? .. or a family?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

If you've made it this far ... Thank You for reading!

Stay safe and be well ... Clyde

#671 3 years ago
    Quoted from crazypinballguy:

Looking for feedback from fellow Pinsiders. what would you be willing to pay for an individual membership? .. a couple? .. or a family? Any feedback will be appreciated.
    If you've made it this far ... Thank You for reading!

$40 a month is an absolute steal for anyone that lives close. I would actually consider raising that a bit. But either way, maybe include the ability for a plus one or two for an additional price. For some reference, Galloping Ghost near me lists this:

Galloping Ghost Arcade
    Memberships
    Brookfield Police and Fire are free.
    Other police, fire, and all military receive $10 off admission.

Group rates start at 30 people.

Week Membership = $50
    Good for 7 Days from the first day used

Monthly Membership = $120
    Good until the same date the following month (non-reoccurring)
    Includes Two Free Guest Passes (a $40 value)

Yearly Membership = $400
    Comes with a Custom Membership Pass
    Good until the same date the following year (non-reoccurring)

Lifetime Membership = $3000
    Comes with a Custom Membership Pass
    Also includes many other benefits, such as game request priority, early event notice, and more.

I would definitely join them if they were a bit closer for that year long plan... but I just thought this might be something for you to chew on.

#672 3 years ago

Here's some info from one of the most successful pinball shops near me:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pinball Gallery provides over 65 pinball machines and video games you can play in clean, comfortable, family-oriented environment (see our Game List).

Admission to the Pinball Gallery provides access to most of our games, which are set on free-play (no coins required!).

Admission rates are increasing for 2020 and are as follows:

$10 - one hour of play ($8/hour until 1/1/2020)
    $18 - two hours of play ($16/hour until 1/1/2020)
    $25 - play all-day ($20 until 1/1/2020)
    $20 - group rate (3 or more) for play all-day ($15 until 1/1/2020)
    $2.50 - Non-player admission
    We also sell the following extended passes:

$70 - monthly pass ($50 until 1/1/2020)
    $300 - yearly pass ($250 until 1/1/2020)
    If you purchase a monthly or yearly pass, you receive a free Pinball Gallery "Player Card" that can be used for free admission anytime during that period, including our monthly tournaments, and weekly league.

We also offer the following reduced admission passes:

$7 - "Lunch-time special": On weekdays, anytime during the period from 11:30am-1:30pm, admission is reduced to $7/hour ($5/hour until 1/1/2020). Bring your lunch (we also sell drinks and snacks). Bring a friend. Have some fun playing plnball and classic video games!
    If you are in hurry and only have time for a game or two, we also have something for you. There are a few games at the front of the store that are available for coin-play (no admission necessary).

#673 3 years ago

Location, population density, and nearby competition matter when it comes to sustaining memberships.

You might make more money if you charge less! Think Netflix: Guests will keep it active even though they rarely use it due to the low price. Whereas if you have a big ask up front, few will pay, and even fewer will renew.

Our sponsorships might be the lowest of any pinball venue on the planet: $12.50/month individual, $18.50/month family (two adults, up to four kids max age 17).

Priced out for a year, that means a family of five would have to visit the museum four times in a year to break even (compared with single admission tickets).

HERE'S THE MATH: Does a typical family visit every three months without fail? NO. Maybe once or twice per year.

Aha! Trickle-charge your way to success.

True, some people will be heavy repeat visitors, but some will hardly use it at all. Doesn't matter. The price is low enough that everyone gets to be a supporter of the museum and receive special thanks, exclusive sponsors-only parties, and random gift swag... and will more likely want to keep supporting you rather than figure out how to abuse the system.

Furthermore, if you sell concessions, more people in the building = more food and drink sales.

HOWEVER - NOW THAT COVID19 IS A FACTOR MY WHOLE BUSINESS MODEL IS ADAPTING.

I hate "play for time" models... but it might be possible to create two-hour play brackets: 1pm-3pm, 3pm-5pm, etc. It would prevent overcrowding or selling out, people could plan their arrival without clogging up the hallways, everyone clears out at the same time... no tapping players on the shoulder, Vegas style, "Hey mac, you just played your last hand"... ugh. Don't do that to your customers.

#674 3 years ago

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I did look up other pinball locations before I even opened up last year. Most places I researched have many more pins than I offer. Also, many have food and drink available.

Besides my 16 pins, I have a PacMan and a Galaga also set to free play. Canned sodas and bottled water are my only refreshments.

Even with such a small selection of pins my pricing was never really an issue with anyone. If you've never been to Cortland, there's really not a lot to do in terms of casual entertainment.

The only reason I'm considering changing my current business model from an "open to everyone at an hourly rate" to a "monthly membership" format is to limit the exposure to those playing to a much smaller group of individuals.

It's a strange time and I'm just trying to think of ways to help this place pay for its existence.

Thanks for listening. My wife is sick of hearing me talk about this stuff.

#675 3 years ago
    Quoted from GGBGROUP:

A long term disinfectant solution that doesn't damage the machines AND proper Signage will be key to opening our arcade and hopefully having people not be too afraid to touch anything.

I am just wondering why an arcade operator thinks that damage to exterior pin surfaces would be KEY to reopening an arcade. You are an operator not an anal HUO collector like many of us on Pinside. I understand a minor concern but having it a KEY concern? Having played and owned many routed games; the wear around flipper buttons never affected gameplay and won’t stop clients from playing. Isn’t that sort of minor damage to be expected like break pad wear on a car or pants wearing through at the knees?

You can use lollipop rails or Mylar protectors. I understand that resale value might drop a little but that is true of any used item. I wouldn’t think any serious operator would be that concerned with that issue. However, I do understand that a lot of collectors are becoming mini-operators to pay for the hobby.

Good luck reopening everyone. Hopefully, our lives and arcades will be back to normal in 2021.

#676 3 years ago
    Quoted from PBFan:

I am just wondering why an arcade operator thinks that damage to exterior pin surfaces would be KEY to reopening an arcade. You are an operator not an anal HUO collector

As an operator I take the view if you don't have messes, wear and tear, you don't have any business.

Many years ago after I recovered the pool tables. They looked so nice. My Mother remarked that she wished they'd stay like that. I told her hell, then we ain't got any business. I wish I was recovering them four times a year.

Stuff built for commercial use. Expect it to get used.

I am talking normal use here. Not abuse done intentionally.

LTG : )

#677 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

As an operator I take the view if you don't have messes, wear and tear, you don't have any business.
    Many years ago after I recovered the pool tables. They looked so nice. My Mother remarked that she wished they'd stay like that. I told her hell, then we ain't got any business. I wish I was recovering them four times a year.
    Stuff built for commercial use. Expect it to get used.
    I am talking normal use here. Not abuse done intentionally.

I remember when pool halls were more popular around here 25-30 years ago. My dad and I would go, and I was pretty young...maybe 12-13. Any given place may have 10-15 tables or so. The first couple times you went, you got put on one of the ratted out tables in the front, and if you proved you were not a bunch of hacks, the next time you got put on the nicer tables in the back with new felt. Sadly, I do not think there is a pool hall left around here. They turned into drama factories involving gangs, who eventually ruined it.

#678 3 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I remember when pool halls were more popular around here 25-30 years ago. My dad and I would go, and I was pretty young...maybe 12-13. Any given place may have 10-15 tables or so. The first couple times you went, you got put on one of the ratted out tables in the front, and if you proved you were not a bunch of hacks, the next time you got put on the nicer tables in the back with new felt. Sadly, I do not think there is a pool hall left around here. They turned into drama factories with gangs eventually ruined it.

I managed bars for a good portion of my life, and pool tables were a constant source of unwanted trouble in every bar that had one. Worst offense was when a guy drove his car through the wall because of an argument over a pool game.

#679 3 years ago
    Quoted from PBFan:

I am just wondering why an arcade operator thinks that damage to exterior pin surfaces would be KEY to reopening an arcade.

To Clarify. Some of the disinfectant solutions out there (vaporization) use a mild chloride alkaline solution that would damage many metals including stainless steel... I'm not worried about the flippers or 'wear and tear' type of damage. I want customer to know that the machines are clean and that we're using the best localized disinfectant available.

#686 3 years ago

So much for a rather informative thread someone left the door open again.

#687 3 years ago

T Y mods

#688 3 years ago

Why robots will never replace live human beings:

So in trying to go thru 3 different PPP providers, I hit the exact same roadblock every single time. They all wanted a 2019 940 payroll form from me. Well, I don't have one because employees were all being paid as 1099 contractors since it was just this low level part time gig. Decided in January that really should be rectified so went on Square Payroll. Kinda a mess, and computers don't handle messes, they handle yes or no decisions. I'm not mad about any of this, but given I've been paying my employees for the last 7 weeks, yeah would have been good to know that we weren't going to be paid back for any of that. At least I can feel good knowing that I am doing more for my employees than Hobby Lobby is.

Anyhoo, the other bonkers thing is that someone informed me that if I just claimed my business opened January 1st, I wouldn't need any of that 2019 paperwork, and a loan would get approved immediately just on the last quarter 941 IRS form. So, where the hell is the logic in ANY of this ? If i am trying to scam the government, which would I pick ? Uh, the one that didn't require almost any paperwork to get the loan

Try to get any of these people on the phone, fugettaboutit. And this isn't a requirement of SBA, its just standard they are mostly following for verifying borrowers. EVEN SQUARE who has gotten my receipts for the last 2 years, so they know exactly how much I make, and who have gotten my payroll for the last 4 months too, said I needed a 2019 940 with no human being to talk to. Nice job.

So I post this total shenanigans, because sometimes you have to vent. I'm not going to lie because its wrong (and easily verified) (and its the government)... but my employees don't continue to get paid unless I lie to get around a roadblock. Thankfully one of our customers happens to be a bank manager and sees the post. Problem taken care of in 30 minutes. Application submitted.

Guess where my bank account is moving to ?

#689 3 years ago
    Quoted from beergut666:

I managed bars for a good portion of my life, and pool tables were a constant source of unwanted trouble in every bar that had one.

Im a part owner at two bars, decided it was best not to even bother with pool tables at the second location because they bring to much drama. Sucks because most people are great, it's the few that mess it up for everyone. That and they take up tons of room for what they make. I have an air hockey table at the second location that makes/made more then all three pool tables at the first. Thinks it's more a bar staple, like darts more than anything.
    On the other side, you might make it up in alcohol sales, because pool people tend to drink more.

#690 3 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

Im a part owner at two bars, decided it was best not to even bother with pool tables at the second location because they bring to much drama. Sucks because most people are great, it's the few that mess it up for everyone. That and they take up tons of room for what they make. I have an air hockey table at the second location that makes/made more then all three pool tables at the first. Thinks it's more a bar staple, like darts more than anything.
    On the other side, you might make it up in alcohol sales, because pool people tend to drink more.

We have a lot of pool leagues in our area. We also use diamond tables at our better locations. Air hockey at some locations is certainly a great earning piece of equipment but the maintenance is much heavier when you have an incident, ie a spill etc. We cover all our pool tables in black with black or accent color rails so that the stains are much better hidden. Overall our job as operators is to make the locations more money, a pool table has very little down time and keeps people on site longer. That's why it is a bar standard. Yes it does take up a decent amount of real estate but a good site will do around $600/week per table.

#691 3 years ago

I still remember when this happened at a bar with pool table in a Marriott. So much for upscale clientele....

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/he-was-stabbed-to-death-over-a-20-bet-at-a-bar-jason-sizemores-killer-is-still-missing-18-years-later

#692 3 years ago

OK, in my poor attempt at detailing my ongoing effort to reboot my place here is what I have done for disinfection: (SEE Bottom of this post for REALLY important caveats - your mileage may vary - don’t try this at home)

For disinfecting bough Ozone generators, 8 air purifiers H13 class, coating all buttons with this stuff called SD90 (SDST disinfectant) which last 3 months, bought UV quartz lights (don't buy the LED kind, wrong UV spectrum (not UVC)). Note that for purifiers it is most important in smaller enclosed spaces (like bathrooms) than it is in the open arcade, nevertheless for show I am doing all of the above.

I want to state upfront I don't say that any of this is the best way or cheapest or even most effective to go. But it is a way.

SD 90 3 month disinfectant: https://www.globalshieldsolutions.com/SD_ST_32_oz_spray_p/sd-004.htm

LEVOIT Air Purifier H13 True HEPA Air Purifiers for Home Allergies and Pets Hair 24db Quiet Air Cleaner, Remove 99.97% Dust Smoke Odor Dander Pollen for Bedroom Large Room, Customized Filter, Core 300
    Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VVK39F7/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_3W2REbD5TN6KE

Household Multifunction 3 Timer Desktop Lamp Base 6.5 FT Cord E26 E27 Screw Base for UV,CFL,Germicidal Lamp,LED,table lamp
    Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X393DHV/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_kU2REb3QZSBGK

TESECU Automatic Soap Dispenser Touchless Foaming Soap Dispenser Bath Kitchen Countertop Soap Dispenser with Infrared Motion Sensor, Waterproof, 500ml Large Capacity
    Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083DVCG4B/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_5U2REbGEG26MN

Naiver Automatic Soap Dispenser-TOUCHLESS Liquid Infrared Soap Pump, Wall-Mounted for Hospital,Airport,Kitchen,Bathroom,Hotel,600ml Ultra-Large Capacity
    More information: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017IUN1BO/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_QV2REbTMRJMTH

Medify MA-112 | The Only 950 CADR H13 HEPA Air Purifier | Covers up to 5,000 sq ft Every Hour | Dual air Intake with 2 Sets of Filters for Allergies, Smog, Odors, Smoke, Pets Dander, Dust (2-Pack)
    Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0819387M7/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_mW2REbMS5KEPF

Medify MA-40 2.0 Medical Grade Filtration H13 True HEPA for 840 Sq. Ft. Air Purifier, 99.97% | Modern Design - White (2-Pack)
    Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08194ZQ4N/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_OX2REb3YVGP4D

Ziss Commercial Ozone Generator 10000mg Ozone Machine, Air Purifier Machine, Home Air Ionizers Deodorizer for Odor Eliminator Removal for Rooms, Hotels, Cars and Pets

25W 15W E27 UVC Ozone Ultraviolet Germicidal Lamp UV Sterilization Quartz Light
    ebay.com link: 25W 15W E27 UVC Ozone Ultraviolet Germicidal Lamp UV Sterilization Quartz Light
    Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083FFG7FX/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_BY2REbNSFQ4R5

Hand Sanitizer
    https://www.bulkapothecary.com/product/raw-ingredients/unscented-bases/unscented-hand-sanitizer-gel-base/

IMPORTANT CAVEATS !!!’

First, ozone is toxic stuff. If one is even contemplating using this, it can ONLY be used as a post closing disinfection procedure and THEN you want to have air quality measurements the next day.

Second there is limited data to suggest it is effective against this coronavirus, but broadly speaking its properties are virucidal http://www.triroc.com/sunnen/topics/sars.html

HOWEVER proceed with lots and lots of caution if trying any of this.

SAME goes for UVC light. Only leave on after everyone is out the door.

For the UV lights we will only run for 90 minutes post closing, same for any ozone treatment.

Nothing I wrote is a recommendation of any or these techniques. For now I want to be clear that the EPA primary recommendation is using wipes to disinfect surfaces and use hand sanitizer. That’s safe all day long. The rest of this stuff if not used carefully can cause more harm than good.

#693 3 years ago

For booking since I already use Square (and Square Appointments TOTALLY SUCKS by the way), I am using Bookeo

www.bookeo.com

My best search has been for Escape Room Reservation Software because thats really the kinda model I see many of us potentially moving to. Kinda like all those adult injury .... er... kidee trampoline parks.

Am I in love with it - no I am not. Its interface is all kinda Windows 98. But it does the job and its $40 a month and it funnels bookings into my Square account and into my Square POS. It charges the credit card. I'll use it for now until I am convinced there is something better worth paying for and not something that does a ticketmaster $2 upcharge per ticket.

What we are doing is like any Escape Room where you have only so many people who can book per hour. I am selling tickets for a 2 hours time frame, for now pricing at $15 for 2 hours adult, $11 2 hours kid. We will allow I think 12 people in per hour, so that would be 24 at one time throughout the day. That I will try to make a selling point - 2500 square feet, 25 people in there - I think social distancing is kinda covered.

Spread your customers out like that, they a) might come back and b) you might not lose as much money as when 75 people get the same idea to come in at 2pm when we open which I can't have happen anymore. Then again, if you can't offer them all a 2pm start time it might be a terrible idea. Just gonna have to try and see what works. We will all becomes Escape Rooms of sorts.

#694 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Sorry, I meant no offense.
    Everybody has their own realities to face.

u seem to say that alot

#695 3 years ago

Appreciate sharing your shopping list, Pooky. Would not recommend the ozone generator. Potentially harmful and won't be effective against coronavirus.

Also recommend checking out the Coway AP-1216L: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KGR2EUU

#696 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I like your thinking.
    As entrepreneurs we have to get creative. Until we adjust to a new normal, people are going to stay home. Some ideas:
    -Live stream from arcade for people to watch at home, q&a with hosts/proprietors
    -Offer your patrons the opportunity to buy in advance/gift cards as stated above
    -"Leave a credit on the machine" for needy groups. Ie: I can make a donation that will be used for at-risk youth to have fun, when things are more calm.
    -Paid phone support to have an expert help me fix a problem I have on my machine
    -T-shirt designs and merch for sale on print-on-demand sites (You only need to upload your artwork)
    -Private bookings for party. Since the arcade is so quiet, why not offer to allow a group to book it exclusively. ie: You and your family come for 2 hours. The place will be completely sanitized before, during and after. You won't share it with anyone else other than who came with you.
    -"Get out of the house" promotions.

Don’t forget rent your machine to people for their house got some operators in my area on this and now a few people are renting machines

#697 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Appreciate sharing your shopping list, Pooky. Would not recommend the ozone generator. Potentially harmful and won't be effective against coronavirus.
    Also recommend checking out the Coway AP-1216L: amazon.com link »

Sorry I should have been more careful here than I was

First, ozone is toxic stuff. If one is even contemplating using this, it can ONLY be used as a post closing disinfection procedure and THEN you want to have air quality measurements the next day.

Second there is limited data to suggest it is effective against this coronavirus, but broadly speaking its properties are virucidal http://www.triroc.com/sunnen/topics/sars.html

HOWEVER proceed with lots and lots of caution if trying any of this.

SAME goes for UVC light. Only leave on after everyone is out the door.

For the UV lights we will only run for 90 minutes post closing, same for any ozone treatment.

Nothing I wrote is a recommendation of any or these techniques. For now I want to be clear that the EPA primary recommendation is using wipes to disinfect surfaces. That’s safe all day long. The rest of this stuff if not used carefully can cause more harm than good.

#698 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Would not recommend the ozone generator. Potentially harmful and won't be effective against coronavirus

That and you'll be re-rubbering your pinball machines a lot more often.

#699 3 years ago

My opinion:

Space the games out for social distancing.

Only allow a certain amount of players in at a time.

A temperature scanner would be awesome, check everyone at the door.

Disposable glove dispensers all over the place. Everyone is required to wear gloves while playing, so no need to put harsh chemicals on the games.

Play 80's music to remind everyone how awesome everything used to be.

Make sure the beer is extra cold.

Facemasks are optional.

#700 3 years ago

I saw tonight on the fox news a company that was making clear plastic sheets for restaurants to hang between booths etc... maybe this would be helpful if the games cannot be spread out 6ft or help protect certain areas from others. Not sure what the company name was but I’m sure some google searching would find it. I just thought this might be a good idea to kind of make each game its own room at least side to side. I guess you could just buy some clear shower curtains for the cheap way out.
    Joe

There are 1,550 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-temporarily-closed-my-arcade-thread-/page/14?hl=rustylizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.