Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,550 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by NicoVolta
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

f065c571-4d48-42b0-bb09-3c0eba12b3f0_e45adf5f6bc0c5c2a30a39868f44eab6 (resized).jpg
    19C29A43-E7DC-4936-A608-01E5A7E8BAC5 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    7FE4CBEA-7690-41A8-B236-48E4A0FCC6B9 (resized).jpeg
    maginot (resized).jpg
    coway6 (resized).jpg
    coway5 (resized).jpg
    coway4 (resized).jpg
    coway3 (resized).jpg
    coway2 (resized).jpg
    coway1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1298 3 (resized).jpg
    Untitled 43 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1196 2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1074 (resized).jpg
    There are 1,550 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 31.
    #601 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Longer ppl fight this, the longer we will have to do it.

That being said, I think business should be able to reopen only after they can pass health safety requirements. Much like any food vendor.

#602 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Nope.

If people don't fight this, up to and including forcibly removing politicians, then there will NEVER be an end to it.

Odds are very good there will NEVER be a vaccine.
    Odds are also very good that immunity wanes.

Why? This is a coronavirus. If you don't understand why the above two statements are, with a very high degree of certainty, true then you need to do some actual scientific research on these viruses. They are part of a family and share characteristics that make it extremely likely the above two statements WILL be true for this one. Neither is certain at this point, but if you want to bet on the other side of either you're taking a losing position.

This makes the options available to suck it up and deal with it or have the economy permanently damaged to the tune of 30-40% or more, including all businesses associated with any sort of social experience permanently excluded.

That's the science and it doesn't matter if you like it or not; viruses don't care about political leanings or fear.

#603 3 years ago

I'm no scientician so I'm really glad to have pinball forum people explain the science to me.

#604 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tickerguy:

Nope.
    If people don't fight this, up to and including forcibly removing politicians, then there will NEVER be an end to it.
    Why? This is a coronavirus. If you don't understand why the above two statements are, with a very high degree of certainty, true then you need to do some actual scientific research on these viruses. They are part of a family and share characteristics that make it extremely likely the above two statements WILL be true for this one. Neither is certain at this point, but if you want to bet on the other side of either you're taking a losing position.
    This makes the options available to suck it up and deal with it or have the economy permanently damaged to the tune of 30-40% or more, including all businesses associated with any sort of social experience permanently excluded.
    That's the science and it doesn't matter if you like it or not; viruses don't care about political leanings or fear.

We are gonna have to build a ton more hospitals then. And equip them. And staff them.

And have really good workman’s comp for the hospital workers.

#605 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

That would be true if the tripe we see on TV is true. Luckily it's not.

#606 3 years ago

Sickies and old farts stay home. If you don't like it, f. off. My rights don't end where your fears begin.

How is Sweden doing as opposed to Norway? So simple.

#607 3 years ago

Bro tell us where the REAL news is.

#608 3 years ago

For those that want to open things up, I hope history does not repeat itself.

Just look at what happened in Denver, when they removed interventions back in 1918.

ED3B44D7-97EB-4519-8028-2CBF173FBDC5 (resized).pngED3B44D7-97EB-4519-8028-2CBF173FBDC5 (resized).png
    #609 3 years ago
    Quoted from LukyDuck:

For those that want to open things up, I hope history does not repeat itself.
    Just look at what happened in Denver, when they removed interventions back in 1918.[quoted image]

#FAKENEWS was invented not long before then. Most people didn't even have running water at that time. WAPO, Howard Markel is no source to be respected. Take a look at the last 3 flu seasons:

Screenshot from 2020-04-24 23-49-06 (resized).pngScreenshot from 2020-04-24 23-49-06 (resized).png
    #610 3 years ago

This is america and last time I checked we had freedom of choice. We do not have that freedom currently. We are arresting people playing catch in a park with their kids but letting people out of jail because of COVID-19 so it doesn't spread in the jail. The economy is closed down for 2% of the pop that has high health risks. Those 2% can stay inside until it is safe or there is a vaccine

#611 3 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

Take a look at the last 3 flu seasons:

You trust the CDC?!?

#612 3 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

You trust the CDC?!?

No, but even those who do have to admit that this flu season is well within one standard deviation of ILI mortality.

#613 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

This is america and last time I checked we had freedom of choice. We do not have that freedom currently. We are arresting people playing catch in a park with their kids but letting people out of jail because of COVID-19 so it doesn't spread in the jail. The economy is closed down for 2% of the pop that has high health risks. Those 2% can stay inside until it is safe or there is a vaccine

On a high note, I was passing through Des Moines twice in the past month. I was fortunate that the Maid-Rite in the Merle Hay Mall was open for pick up by the Western doors. The owner took my phone in order from I-80 and brought it out to the car. Love those original loose meat sandwiches....

#614 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

According to mainstream media...it’s never going away. We will never have a vaccine. And, it’s going to be deadlier in the fall.

D2A3FD5E-9460-41A6-8043-22F4BFA1CAE6 (resized).jpegD2A3FD5E-9460-41A6-8043-22F4BFA1CAE6 (resized).jpeg
    #615 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tickerguy:

Why? This is a coronavirus. If you don't understand why the above two statements are, with a very high degree of certainty, true then you need to do some actual scientific research on these viruses.

Please cite your source for this because it doesn't match what the scientists working on vaccines appear to be aware of.
    https://time.com/5790545/first-covid-19-vaccine/
    https://www.healthline.com/health-news/heres-exactly-where-were-at-with-vaccines-and-treatments-for-covid-19

#616 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

Businesses need to be able to open up and the people can decide if they want to go out. High risk heath issues? Stay home. Healthy people should not be forced to stay home. We should have the option to choose if we want to go out or if we want to open our businesses. People are only going to take the forced lock down for a little longer. I don't want a PPP loan that I can't seem to get. I want to be open.

Open up and do what? Here in MO, the operation of all amusement Coin Op equipment, other than regulated gambling devices, is currently prohibited through the end of the State of Emergency. That date was just pushed out to June 15th and I am sure circumstances will dictate whether it will be pushed out again. So if you have any locations in MO, it is hard to say when location pinball will be up and running again.

#617 3 years ago
    Quoted from BrianBannon:

Open up and do what? Here in MO, the operation of all amusement Coin Op equipment, other than regulated gambling devices, is currently prohibited through the end of the State of Emergency. That date was just pushed out to June 15th and I am sure circumstances will dictate whether it will be pushed out again. So if you have any locations in MO, it is hard to say when location pinball will be up and running again.

I have 2 locations in MO. Amusement devices are banned except lottery machines... Again, people need the ability to decide if they want to take the risk and not be told what you can and can't do.

#618 3 years ago

What is the point........

#619 3 years ago

Any chance we could keep this thread to info about routes and location pinball before it gets locked? I'm finding a lot of the ideas in this thread useful.

#620 3 years ago

Wow, this quickly became the Covid-19 talk thread, how about we keep it to the subject? Take the theory talk to the real thread?
    Also, maybe rename the thread “worried about how to open my arcade again”
    That said, I think it’s just going to be a thing where people will play when they are comfortable with it. If someone fears going out, they will stay in. If they reach the stage of being comfortable going out, they will probably play games too.
    This will likely start with the younger crowd that feels pretty invincible to things, they want to get back to living their young lives. I look forward to their spending.
    The virus isn’t going away, but people are not going to stay in for much longer either.

#621 3 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Take the theory talk to the real thread?

They closed & removed it. So much for containment. At this point there isn't much else to talk about in the world of pinball (or the world itself), so they may as well shut down the forum if they don't want to moderate Covid chat.

#622 3 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

They closed & removed it. At this point there isn't much else to talk about in the world of pinball (or the world itself), so they may as well shut down the forum if they don't want to moderate Covid chat.

That thread has been active again for two days.

#623 3 years ago

Shows what I know! Thanks, guess I overlooked it.

#624 3 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

That talk was literally less than 1 minute. I was told there is no way and conventional methods of eviction would commence once I am 10 days late.

Do your leases have "force majeure" clauses?
    https://www.leaseref.com/blog/force-majeure-commercial-lease

#625 3 years ago

More on topic, hopefully the next round of loans gets better funneled to the small, local, folks.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/26/small-business-loans-public-companies-took-855-million.html

#626 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Please cite your source for this because it doesn't match what the scientists working on vaccines appear to be aware of.
    https://time.com/5790545/first-covid-19-vaccine/
    https://www.healthline.com/health-news/heres-exactly-where-were-at-with-vaccines-and-treatments-for-covid-19

They got flu vaccine. I never heard that flu is no longer a health issue. Maybe I missed it. I know that flu vaccine is "safe and effective", yet the flu seasons just keep getting worse. I sadly wait to see you cock-sure guinea pigs suffer the consequences of shoving an experiment into your bloodstream. But don't worry. Billy Gates is to be trusted. He doesn't have any degree at all, but you anxiously await his solution and trust his medical advice. Accelerate the darwinism!

#627 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

Businesses need to be able to open up and the people can decide if they want to go out. High risk heath issues? Stay home. Healthy people should not be forced to stay home. We should have the option to choose if we want to go out or if we want to open our businesses.

The problem is everyone is being idiots with this and refusing to do what needs to be done. This disease is extremely rare in that you can be communicable for over a week before showing any symptoms. Most diseases it is up to a day if at all. The statement of "if you are healthy, you should be allowed to move around" is extremely wrong because healthy people are spreading it. If only sick people were spreading it, then it would have stopped quickly because anyone with a cough would have been avoided and then it couldn't spread. We need to take precautions to keep it from being even worse. If we don't take these precautions, more people will die because there is no ability to treat people. If 1/3 the population will get this disease and everyone gets it all on the same day, then everyone the needs medical care for it will die, but if the same number of people get it over a longer period than the hospitals can treat people effectively. Just because you feel fine, doesn't mean you wont get me sick. People need to wear face masks to avoid spreading it to others as well, but people are too dumb to think about others.

#628 3 years ago

Yes let’s please keep this on topic about how arcade businesses stay in business. I don’t want this to turn into another coronavirus thread. There are other places in off topic forums to discuss this. I would prefer Pinside not to have to turn this topic into another moderated topic. Thanks

#629 3 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

Sickies and old farts stay home. If you don't like it, f. off. My rights don't end where your fears begin.
    How is Sweden doing as opposed to Norway? So simple.

The problem is even if you feel fine, you can be spreading it to others. Get off your high f'en horse and understand the fact that this virus is extremely unusual in that people are VERY contagious for up to a week before showing any symptoms. Most diseases, if you are contagious before showing symptoms it is a matter of hours. If it was a matter of everyone with symptoms being avoided, then this would never have become a pandemic due to people avoiding everyone with a cough. Take off your tinfoil hat, and have some basic compassion for keeping other people healthy.

#630 3 years ago
    Quoted from Oaken:

More on topic, hopefully the next round of loans gets better funneled to the small, local, folks.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/26/small-business-loans-public-companies-took-855-million.html

I believe quite a few of them are going to be asked to give it back or guilted in to doing so. The basic problem is that even putting this egregious money grab aside, most people would not view a business with 500 employees as small. You think small business, and you think less than 10 people. We actually need a Really Small Business Administration to attend to their needs or at a minimum a carve out since those are the ones most at risk of taking a nose time

#633 3 years ago

I can’t believe they didn’t have a proof of hardship clause for this money. Hopefully they find a way to get money to all the small businesses that need it the most.

#635 3 years ago

Interesting thread. Seeing the old self service model evolve and change comes from ideas many of you are sharing. Cool to see! Never had a route or challenge like this so a few ideas that may make no sense.
    1. Most will understand you will now incur Many new business costs with likely reduced games would it be unheard of to increase gameplay costs to $2 per play? Won’t offset much loss but I would suspect many clients would understand.
    2. The handling of money I suspect may be a concern step for some. No idea how to implement but what about a currency free location. I’m guessing on the honor system with games set on free play? They hand you a 20 or CC and play the allotted games.
    3. Crazy direction... some type of low tack frisket to go over the lock bar and side buttons. Something that can be continuously wiped without destroying your expensive investment. Tear it off each night and reapply.
    4. Have some type of rudimentary sanitizer tub with bleach and water to sterilize buckets of coins. Promote that all coins were safely sterilized for the patron safety. And yours.

#636 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

According to mainstream media...it’s never going away. We will never have a vaccine. And, it’s going to be deadlier in the fall.[quoted image]

So true the Shawshank meme. I just watched that three days ago. Has to be one of my favorite movies.

#637 3 years ago

Moderator's comment:

Folks, please try to keep the discussions here related to arcades, routes, and operating.

General discussions on covid-19 need to take place in the covid thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/

Thanks

#638 3 years ago

Wow. I knew that the Pinball collecting / playing / restoration community was 'diverse'... I hope operators find a way to weather this trial, it's going to be a long while before people are going to feel comfortable in close quarters again, even after there's a plan to test enough for us to start opening back up. I have one friend who has lost his mother to COVID-19, and another in great health who was laid low for awhile (kicked my butt was the exact phrase). I know I should use the time to renovate the Centaur sitting behind me that's been patiently waiting for a couple years for me to replace everything, including the PF with a brand new one. Hope everyone stays safe, and doesn't try to drink Clorox. <roll eyes here>

#639 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Interesting thread. Seeing the old self service model evolve and change comes from ideas many of you are sharing. Cool to see! Never had a route or challenge like this so a few ideas that may make no sense.
    1. Most will understand you will now incur Many new business costs with likely reduced games would it be unheard of to increase gameplay costs to $2 per play? Won’t offset much loss but I would suspect many clients would understand.
    2. The handling of money I suspect may be a concern step for some. No idea how to implement but what about a currency free location. I’m guessing on the honor system with games set on free play? They hand you a 20 or CC and play the allotted games.
    3. Crazy direction... some type of low tack frisket to go over the lock bar and side buttons. Something that can be continuously wiped without destroying your expensive investment. Tear it off each night and reapply.
    4. Have some type of rudimentary sanitizer tub with bleach and water to sterilize buckets of coins. Promote that all coins were safely sterilized for the patron safety. And yours.

1. Yes I am raising prices by $2-3 per admission. Could be a disaster. Though we were mostly a bargain before at $8 kids, $12 adults stay as long as you want. Could have understanding customers and since we are going to have to limit to 50 instead of our prior maxing out at 100 people in there, the real question is whether there is enough take at $10 and $15 ? Don't know. New territory.
    2. Exactly the conversation we were having yesterday. We are thinking of going to all credit cards, no cash so I can protect my employees. Seems the only other choice is to throw cash in a vat of disinfectant. Its funny because I don't think that the grocery stores or Costco has made any accomodation here. Perhaps its because we all pay credit these days anyway. Pre-pandemic I was probably less than 20% of transactions via cash.
    3. As I mentioned earlier we are coating buttons in a coating they use on elevator buttons. Contains quaternary ammonium - same stuff on sanitary wipes - but is permanently bonded there for 3 months. Tested safe and made in the US. Now does it actually work ? Hmm. They coated the entire Singapore Airport with the stuff, but that is validation by association.
    4. I'll add one more - how does one handle drinks for a beercade - not really our problem but we hoped to go there. I suspect this only works if there is a beer place and a cade next to it and never the two shall mix. I can't see adding beer to my place (or allowing food again) until I have that type of solution in place.

One can look at it with despair, or as an opportunity to get creative. Since I don't live or die by my place I am going to take it as a challenge to be intelligent about how we do business. As Lloyd has noted, most arcades have gone boom and bust before. This is just another bump that we will all have to band together to figure out the new model how to survive

#640 3 years ago

I know it’s a pain in the ass because I’ve had to do it, but is moving locations to the low rent district possible. We had to do that because they knocked our building down and built an office building. I thought we were done even a year ago. Moved out to the more industrial part of town for lower rent. The place actually has done 8 fold increase in business over the last year. I suspect if you can hold on for a bit, enough places will open up or be willing to have anyone in there paying rent that your landlord will soon enough realize the error of their ways

#641 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

1. Yes I am raising prices by $2-3 per admission. Could be a disaster. Though we were mostly a bargain before at $8 kids, $12 adults stay as long as you want. Could have understanding customers and since we are going to have to limit to 50 instead of our prior maxing out at 100 people in there, the real question is whether there is enough take at $10 and $15 ? Don't know. New territory.

Most people don't make decisions on where they spend their time because it's cheap, they make the decision because it's fun.

You create an experience, offering all kinds of cool amusements that almost everyone doesn't have and can't have in their homes.

People have been cooped up in their homes for a while, and will be a while more. Anyone who can create a safe, fun outside-the-home experience is going to be extremely valuable. Or can be if they allow themselves to be.

I could eat cans of ravioli in my home to fill my belly for the cheapest amount of money, but that doesn't compare with a nice sit down experience somewhere else.

#642 3 years ago

Here's an idea:

Notice to Customers
    We thank you for your patronage from the bottom of our hearts. Thank you for supporting us and local businesses through this time. We have worked extremely hard to continue to provide you a safe unique experience that can't be had in your home. Our hard-working staff are driven with a passion for creating fun. Our prices have changed recently to accommodate the safety measures, social distancing and precautions so that we can deliver the best experiences to you. Thank you for your patronage and continued support!
    -The Management

ps: We know some of you are having a more difficult financial time, so please email us (email here) and we will do our best to accommodate you. We want everyone who wants it to have a great time so let us know.

---

Commentary from me: You're explaining your prices have gone up, but you're explaining the work and dedication from your staff and establishing the unique value you are providing. The very end ps allows for people who are hard up to still be accommodated, rather than cutting yourself off at the knees and charging too little from everyone. Most people will just pay the price. And by most, I mean 99.9%

#643 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Most people don't make decisions on where they spend their time because it's cheap, they make the decision because it's fun.

Almost everyone considers the value proposition when determining where to spend their entertainment dollars. I stopped playing at Pinballz Arcade when they raised the price of pins by 33%.

If I can afford three hours a week at venue A or eight hours a week at venue B, I’m going to venue B more often.

#644 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Almost everyone considers the value proposition when determining where to spend their entertainment dollars. I stopped playing at Pinballz Arcade when they raised the price of pins by 33%.
    If I can afford three hours a week at venue A or eight hours a week at venue B, I’m going to venue B more often.

I'd have to check with Pinballz how they came out when they raised their prices. Yes you lose some customers, but maybe those should be customers you should lose.

This thread is about survival. I'm here sharing ideas with anyone who wants them.

#645 3 years ago

As someone who frequences all of the local pinball places, I want to give you all a hug, and all my money once things go back.

#646 3 years ago

I love arcades and pinball shows and it is an unfortunate fact of life that they are breeding grounds for infection - enclosed spaces with poor air exchange where large numbers of people are encouraged to touch the same surfaces without cleaning between uses. How many people enjoy a dirty table at a food court (like those at packed factory outlet malls)? Mix that with poor hygiene (the 10 to 20% of people that don’t wash their hands after using the washroom or eating) and there you go.

So owners are going to have to improve ventilation and be visibly seen to encourage better health practices (masks, hand washing, more frequent cleaning of game surfaces, etc.) before a significant demographic will return. Making sure washrooms are clean and continually stocked with paper towel and hand soap.

This applies equally to eateries. In the current Covid-19 world a majority of the population are less tolerant to the risks involved and that means a smaller target audience for your business. If business owners do not help address these risks then many of their potential consumers will take their business elsewhere where they feel safer.

It sucks but it is our current reality. Hopefully they will find a vaccine before the end of the year so that we can all return to doing the things that we love. Hoping you and your families all stay safe and healthy during these challenging times.

#647 3 years ago

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1990687384392223&id=100003529428458?sfnsn=mo

Not mine, Robert Brooks. The new social distancing arcade ?

C6E428A5-F0B5-4E9B-9FD6-8615C31C5BAE (resized).pngC6E428A5-F0B5-4E9B-9FD6-8615C31C5BAE (resized).png
    #649 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

As someone who frequences all of the local pinball places, I want to give you all a hug, and all my money once things go back.

That echos my own sentiment. Excited to spend some money on games I don’t own when I can safely.

#650 3 years ago

Posted this on my page this morning:

Sorry but I have to vent for a moment. If you use Bank of America for your business banking, my strong recommendation is don’t. I will be moving my bank accounts within the next several weeks. Their response to the payroll protection program has been disastrous. You cannot get a human being on the phone, my home branch states they are unable to assist in any manner, you can’t even have a chat or an email to any address to get any form of information on the status of your application, what documents happen to be missing, or even which business it refers to if you have two businesses going into the same email address. This bank is a disgrace. They exist to serve their own needs, not the needs of their customers. I still do not know whether I have secured any payroll protection for our employees at this time, and I filed literally the first hour that it was open for applications. I have nevertheless been paying them every week regardless of this. I realize that Bank of America did not create this mess of their own making, but they did absolutely nothing to put a friendly face on the front of this process and actually help people out other than shrouded behind an impenetrable curtain. Take your business banking local is all I can say, at least then when a crisis occurs I might be able to get a hold of a human being rather than a webpage with useless information. #bofasucks

There are 1,550 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-temporarily-closed-my-arcade-thread-/page/13?hl=jdissen87 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.