Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,550 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by NicoVolta
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

f065c571-4d48-42b0-bb09-3c0eba12b3f0_e45adf5f6bc0c5c2a30a39868f44eab6 (resized).jpg
    19C29A43-E7DC-4936-A608-01E5A7E8BAC5 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    7FE4CBEA-7690-41A8-B236-48E4A0FCC6B9 (resized).jpeg
    maginot (resized).jpg
    coway6 (resized).jpg
    coway5 (resized).jpg
    coway4 (resized).jpg
    coway3 (resized).jpg
    coway2 (resized).jpg
    coway1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1298 3 (resized).jpg
    Untitled 43 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1196 2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1074 (resized).jpg

There are 1,550 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 31.
    #501 3 years ago

Here is a video on how it works?

#502 3 years ago

I'm expecting to enact something like this once we are ready to reopen:

1. All staff and guests must wear a mask.
    2. No gloves allowed, but everyone must wash their hands before entering and upon exiting.
    3. Windows will be open and fresh air circulated as much as possible.
    4. Limited maximum admissions.
    5. Cannot play a game adjacent to anyone. Must have at least one empty game in between.
    6. Temperature might be taken at the main building entrance (not done by us).
    7. Anyone coughing or obviously not feeling well will not be admitted.

I really don't see any other way to do it... and I might have missed something as-is. Just trying to figure this all out and maximize safety.

One big problem is mask availability. Supply chain is nowhere near where it needs to be.

#503 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I'm expecting to enact something like this once we are ready to reopen:
    1. All staff and guests must wear a mask.
    2. No gloves allowed, but everyone must wash their hands before entering and upon exiting.
    3. Windows will be open and fresh air circulated as much as possible.
    4. Limited maximum admissions.
    5. Cannot play a game adjacent to anyone. Must have at least one empty game in between.
    6. Temperature might be taken at the main building entrance (not done by us).
    7. Anyone coughing or obviously not feeling well will not be admitted.
    I really don't see any other way to do it... and I might have missed something as-is. Just trying to figure this all out and maximize safety.
    One big problem is mask availability. Supply chain is nowhere near where it needs to be.

I like this a lot. It will be good to brainstorm together how to get this right. Thanks for this start

#504 3 years ago

Got confirmation today that although our application was put in right away on the first day that US Bank was taking applications that all the money was gone. Our only chance is the second round of funding but again no guarantees. Such a shot to the gut considering we have not put one person on furlough or let anyone go during these times. FML

#506 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_M:

D&D Pinball Arcade in Tucson just shut down for good.

That's too bad.

I finally got access to a .gov line of credit that was offered for small businesses (40K). 0% interest for 2 years, and 10 K forgiven if paid back in full by Dec 31 2022. Also waiting on a grant from the province (about 3K) for operating costs while closed due to public health order. Commercial landlords appear to be getting a break, which will spill down to the renters (part of the agreement they sign), so that will help with my lease as well. Federal .gov will be paying 75% labour costs when I reopen.

We won't be part of the first wave of re-opening. When we do re-open, it will be at half capacity for sure. We will be reducing the amount of pins in the cafe to provide more space, then slowly reintroduce pins as time goes on. Also building a deck out behind the business for more social distancing space.

Anxious times!

#507 3 years ago

How to disinfect games other than follow customers around with wipes ? I’m looking at this for when we re-open. Coats the joystick and buttons and is good supposedly for 90 days

https://sdst.com.sg/

https://www.sutl.com/environtech/

https://www.businessinsider.sg/1-5-million-hdb-lift-buttons-have-been-coated-with-a-disinfectant-that-can-last-for-months-heres-why-its-so-powerful

Ok you can buy it here SD 90. I believe based on what they say that SD 90+, SD 90, SD pro and SD ST are all the same.

https://www.globalshieldsolutions.com/category_s/1867.htm

I am still trying to find some assessment beyond a fluff business piece, and you can’t even find it. But if it does what is says it does it would prevent someone running around the arcade with a spray bottle and wipes

My further reading on their site says it is quaternary ammonium chloride known to kill COVID but also contains a bonding agent to the surface unlike sanitary wipes where it will just come off. I can’t find anything better here

https://www.sutl.com/environtech/faq/

Disclaimer: I don’t own stock, I know no more than any of you, there is possibility for hype, but the thought of what it does and how it does it seems rational.

#508 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_M:

D&D Pinball Arcade in Tucson just shut down for good.

Terrible news. And a loss to their customers and pinball fans.

I hope we don't see more of these.

LTG : (

#509 3 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

My basement remains open but my kids prefer Roblox.

The sad reality of a 80’s kid, now a parent.

#510 3 years ago

Guidance given by Montana governor Steve Bullock regarding "gaming" machines:

Restaurants and Bars may open to 50% normal occupancy.
    No sitting at bars.
    6' between parties of no more than 10 at tables.
    7.5' between gaming machines on center.
    Sanitize machines between patrons.

This starts May 4 and may be overruled by local health departments. Just an FYI for those who are interested.

#511 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

How to disinfect games other than follow customers around with wipes ? I’m looking at this for when we re-open. Coats the joystick and buttons and is good supposedly for 90 days
    https://sdst.com.sg/
    https://www.sutl.com/environtech/
    https://www.businessinsider.sg/1-5-million-hdb-lift-buttons-have-been-coated-with-a-disinfectant-that-can-last-for-months-heres-why-its-so-powerful
    Ok you can buy it here SD 90. I believe based on what they say that SD 90+, SD 90, SD pro and SD ST are all the same.
    https://www.globalshieldsolutions.com/category_s/1867.htm
    I am still trying to find some assessment beyond a fluff business piece, and you can’t even find it. But if it does what is says it does it would prevent someone running around the arcade with a spray bottle and wipes
    My further reading on their site says it is quaternary ammonium chloride known to kill COVID but also contains a bonding agent to the surface unlike sanitary wipes where it will just come off. I can’t find anything better here
    https://www.sutl.com/environtech/faq/
    Disclaimer: I don’t own stock, I know no more than any of you, there is possibility for hype, but the thought of what it does and how it does it seems rational.

Has anyone used this product before? Is it safe to use on Arcade games/Pinballs without damaging decals etc.? I'm encouraging operators in my area to be proactive so when the government comes in and tries to implement a solution the National and State operator organizations have some input and research completed.

#512 3 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

Guidance given by Montana governor Steve Bullock regarding "gaming" machines:
    Restaurants and Bars may open to 50% normal occupancy.
    No sitting at bars.
    6' between parties of no more than 10 at tables.
    7.5' between gaming machines on center.
    This starts May 4 and may be overruled by local health departments. Just an FYI for those who are interested.

I assume "gaming" machines is referring to slot machines etc.

#513 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mactego:

Has anyone used this product before? Is it safe to use on Arcade games/Pinballs without damaging decals etc.? I'm encouraging operators in my area to be proactive so when the government comes in and tries to implement a solution the National and State operator organizations have some input and research completed.

From what I understand, that stuff is largely untested in terms of effectiveness, safety, and effects on the materials it is sprayed on. All the information about it is that I've seen is coming from the manufacturer, and not an independent/impartial 3rd party.

#514 3 years ago

Interesting video on a breakdown of why shake shack gave back the $10m PPP.

According to the video:

Essentially, there wasn't enough money to pay employees anyway. It would work out to be about $137/week per employee for a total of 8 weeks.

The terms of the loan would make $5m forgivable and require them to pay back $5m in 1 year; approximately $422,000 per month. That would be unsustainable. Normally, loans like that are for much longer periods of time to make them affordable. A 30-year loan would work out to be about $18k/mo, which would be more feasible for a large business to pay back.

If the company ends up needing a second payment beyond the 8 weeks of coverage, they would be ineligible for any money for the rest of 2020.

Financially, furloughing employees was better for the company's long term survival, and their employees would be getting more through unemployment programs.

#515 3 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

So all games 1 player only??

That can work for 4 player groups

#516 3 years ago

That’s for slots, aka money printing machines. I’m sure the state gives zero Fs about pinball, if they even know it still exists.

#517 3 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

That’s for slots, aka money printing machines. I’m sure the state gives zero Fs about pinball, if they even know it still exists.

Video Poker and virtual table games too?

#518 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

From what I understand, that stuff is largely untested in terms of effectiveness, safety, and effects on the materials it is sprayed on. All the information about it is that I've seen is coming from the manufacturer, and not an independent/impartial 3rd party.

Fully agree with you on that. I’d like to see some independent review. The only thing I can say is that if it had quaternary ammonium in it (again they say it does but ?) then it’s the right stuff to have. I will continue to wipe down machines and ask customers to do so too. Will also uv-c the place at night if I can . And finally looking at our air handling but not sure what I can do there. That’s about all I can do.

#519 3 years ago

I wonder about having a bulk latex glove box available for people to glove up.

#520 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mactego:

Only have the information I have. And unfortunately it’s not exactly robust. But I will try it and see if I can somehow validate myself at least regarding bacteria using Petri dishes at my lab. Anti-viral verification is beyond my skill set

#521 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Yeah not a bad idea and we are looking at offering masks if more plentiful

#522 3 years ago

Is my post approved?

#523 3 years ago

Glad to see you got this, unfortunately we didn't qualify due to opening in November 2019, and not having enough total payroll to be successful in the application process.

Quoted from smokedog:

That's too bad.
    I finally got access to a .gov line of credit that was offered for small businesses (40K). 0% interest for 2 years, and 10 K forgiven if paid back in full by Dec 31 2022. Also waiting on a grant from the province (about 3K) for operating costs while closed due to public health order. Commercial landlords appear to be getting a break, which will spill down to the renters (part of the agreement they sign), so that will help with my lease as well. Federal .gov will be paying 75% labour costs when I reopen.
    We won't be part of the first wave of re-opening. When we do re-open, it will be at half capacity for sure. We will be reducing the amount of pins in the cafe to provide more space, then slowly reintroduce pins as time goes on. Also building a deck out behind the business for more social distancing space.
    Anxious times!

#524 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Quoted from pookycade:

Yeah not a bad idea and we are looking at offering masks if more plentiful

Not to sound bad but if I had to put gloves and a mask to play pinball I wouldn't play.

#525 3 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

Glad to see you got this, unfortunately we didn't qualify due to opening in November 2019, and not having enough total payroll to be successful in the application process.

That stinks!

The grant from the provincial .gov came through, which provides some relief for sure. Though the province released their re-open stages yesterday, and there was some not great news:

"Restaurants, bars, lounges, food courts, cafeterias, cafes, bistros, and similar facilities are allowed up
    to 50 percent capacity of their regular capacity to respect limitations on the size of gatherings and
    physical distancing. Buffet service is not permitted."

Ok, not terrible, we can work with this. Followed by:

"Recreation areas within restaurants and licensed establishments are not allowed. This includes dance
    floors, VLTs, pool tables and other areas where it is not possible to practice physical distancing."

Bummer So, 6 feet between pins. Reduces my pin amount substantially.

#526 3 years ago

So far our plan is that masks will be required, but gloves will not be allowed.

Point being, aside from the horrid tactile sensation, gloves are crazy-effective germ-spreaders because they are never washed. Think about dat.

We will require every guest to wash their hands BEFORE entering as well as UPON EXITING... that way the germs don’t make it in or out very well. And if they keep the masks on, no touching the face either.

Which is why we also won’t be selling drinks or popcorn. We don’t want anyone touching their faces or removing their masks right now.

#527 3 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

Not to sound bad but if I had to put gloves and a mask to play pinball I wouldn't play.

We aren't going to make it a requirement, but we want to offer it to those who would like it. And we will ask at the door about fever and symptoms. This isn't my hospital and I can't treat it as such. But I will do my best to make people aware we are treating this very seriously

#528 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Point being, aside from the horrid tactile sensation, gloves are crazy-effective germ-spreaders because they are never washed. Think about dat.
    We will require every guest to wash their hands BEFORE entering as well as UPON EXITING... that way the germs don’t make it in or out very well. And if they keep the masks on, no touching the face either.
    Which is why we also won’t be selling drinks or popcorn. We don’t want anyone touching their faces or removing their masks right now.

Nic, I have to say you are ahead of me on this. Keep posting, I'm learning from you and following. You would think the guy who is a physician would have it all nailed down. I do not, just making it up as we all go along.

#529 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Very smart thinking. Way to think ahead. Do hope business can slowly return to profit again soon. Good luck.

#530 3 years ago

Since this is now the official disinfection and government loan thread, I can comment on the latter:

EIDL advances FINALLY showed up in my accounts today ($3K because I have 3 employees for my arcade).
    PPP told application is complete and just waiting for the new spigot to be opened - no idea if they have revised the amount or not.
    Actual EIDL we applied for on March 24th - nothing yet.

#531 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

require every guest to wash their hands ... UPON EXITING...

You can ask guests to do something before leaving but you can't enforce it. You can't imprison them and your remedy of refusing service is moot on the way out. Blacklist them? Are you identifying every patron so you know who to ban? Facial recognition maybe?

Might as well just close the place at that point, there won't be enough patrons willing to subject themselves to that level of scrutiny.

#532 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Might as well just close the place at that point, there won't be enough patrons willing to subject themselves to that level of scrutiny.

House rules. Take it or leave it.

Americans don’t like being told what to do, but compromise means occasionally taking one for the team.

If it’s for the greater good, that’s how we roll.

People want assurances of their safety.

Which is more important? Protecting our guests with a little extra hassle, or upholding someone’s right to remain filthy and endanger themselves and others?

If the latter is someone’s persuasion, we don’t need their business right now.

#533 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

You can ask guests to do something before leaving but you can't enforce it. You can't imprison them and your remedy of refusing service is moot on the way out. Blacklist them? Are you identifying every patron so you know who to ban? Facial recognition maybe?

Technically he was Trying to help them be safe. If they wish to not give a crap and go home to infect others they are dip shits anyway. He is simply making an effort to provide a fun and safe environment in Or out.

#534 3 years ago

I support enforcing hand-washing 200%. I've always washed before playing on location, mostly to get any food grease off before touching games, and in the last year have taking to washing before leaving, so that if i'm touching my face on the drive home, I'm clean.

Hand-washing has been the most effective germ killer even before this pandemic got bad, and if any "new normal" changes stick after this, I desperately hope it's increased hand-washing. The thought of people suggesting we should cut back on handshakes or hugs, yet there will still be people leaving the bathroom without washing their hands, is absolutely infuriating.

#535 3 years ago

When I take my kids to the fair there's a handwashing station by the petting zoo and everyone manages to wash their hands twice.

#536 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Americans don’t like being told what to do, but compromise means occasionally taking one for the team.
    Which is more important? Protecting our guests with a little extra hassle, or upholding someone’s right to remain filthy and endanger themselves and others?

I understand your proposed rule. When I’m on the way out and leave without washing what exactly can you do?
    Ban from future visits? How will you track who to ban?
    Your proposal reminds me of the exit guardians at Wal-Mart that I walk past with a “No thanks” while some others stand in line for inspection.

#537 3 years ago

Gotcha. Luckily we aren't Wal-Mart.

Roanoke is a small town. It won't be a problem here. Our citizens and guests are generally very polite and friendly and will be happy to have something fun to do. I doubt they'd risk future non-admittance by staging some sort of weird lazy "germ protest" at our exit.

People who steamroll their way through life around here tend to rack up a poor reputation fairly quickly. Goes with the territory.

Austin might be a different story. Much bigger population & lots of college kids. Inevitably higher odds you'll run into some folks who haven't shaken their entitlement mentality.

Best way to deal with troublemakers is proactively (and nicely). We state our house rules at the door before admittance. Gives us an out if we need it... "We warned ya!".

Only had to throw out one person thus far, and he knew he wasn't supposed to be here anyway.

#538 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

We will require every guest to wash their hands BEFORE entering as well as UPON EXITING...

+1 for no gloves. A lot of people don’t don and doff gloves properly which contaminates surfaces and themselves. Plus you will see people grab personal items like their phone, keys, or touch their face while wearing gloves which defeats the purpose.

#539 3 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

That stinks!
    The grant from the provincial .gov came through, which provides some relief for sure. Though the province released their re-open stages yesterday, and there was some not great news:
    "Restaurants, bars, lounges, food courts, cafeterias, cafes, bistros, and similar facilities are allowed up
    to 50 percent capacity of their regular capacity to respect limitations on the size of gatherings and
    physical distancing. Buffet service is not permitted."
    Ok, not terrible, we can work with this. Followed by:
    "Recreation areas within restaurants and licensed establishments are not allowed. This includes dance
    floors, VLTs, pool tables and other areas where it is not possible to practice physical distancing."
    Bummer So, 6 feet between pins. Reduces my pin amount substantially.

So when are you allowed to reopen? I need to head down for a grill and possibly a pin swap here soon and would love to throw a few bucks yours and Matt's way

#540 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Here is a video on how it works?

Looney Toons is the perfect fit for the topic.

#541 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

We are almost certainly going to have to cap entry at 50 to keep some level of social distancing here.

I agree with you, will require to sanitize to come in, and go out. Some won't bother to come and find it too restrictive and uninviting to play and that's ok. Greater good, and they can go do their thing somewhere else, just not in my arcade. As a physician I have to hold my place to a higher standard.

Now for the air purifier purchases with some built in germicidal light. Air movement sucks in my place, always has.

I am trying to decide what constitutes reasonable measures and what constitutes bonkers overkill. If I follow what has been happening at my (and I suppose many others) hospital, its gonna evolve day by day, week by week. My arcade might end up being more sterile than the clinics.

This is the hard thing. How does one optimize the following variables: 1) Keep people who come feeling safe 2) Keep enough people coming to pay rent and employees 3) Know that our business by its very nature is more risky than sitting at home or going to an outdoor park and perfect decontamination is nigh impossible.

#542 3 years ago

Hand hygiene isn’t exactly news.

See Semmelweis, Philipp born 1818.

#543 3 years ago

I’m in the process of determining the minimum number of open pins between players.

One empty pin isn’t maintaining a six-foot distance.

Two creates serious utilization problems.

I’m lucky that my location has multiple windows. I’m going to use fans to create a wind tunnel. Although it may result in higher humidity and temperatures, it will guarantee a high level of fresh airflow... which may allow a one machine distance rule to be practical.

Most businesses won’t have exterior windows, so I predict standalone UV + fan purifiers will become a hot item. Haven’t researched the market for these yet, but there might be a shortage if it makes the difference between being able to open and protect customers versus staying closed and not being trusted.

Masks and that “UV glow“ + airflow will be trusted signposts for the foreseeable future. I expect to see new ad campaigns soon... “99.9% UV clean for your protection!” or some such.

Customers will not return until they are assured of their safety. Has to be real, not merely lip service.

#544 3 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

So when are you allowed to reopen?

It's still a TBD by the province. We are phase 3. Phase 2 is May 19th (if everything is going well). My guess is early June?

#545 3 years ago

I think it's going to be difficult for us to sustain our arcade bar. All signs are pointing to masking up prior to entry. Maybe I can have our engineer patent a mask with an integrated encased sipping straw. I am happy that I see some planning from our peers in this business. I would say that our rent is entirely too high to overcome at Starport. I have many projects I can work on that were part of our 5 year plan but if entertainment is effected to this degree due to the virus then we will have to move our focus to other businesses we have until things normalize.

Thank you to everyone that contributed to this thread and I truly hope all of our Operators can withstand the uphill climb we have in front of us. Good luck! Cheers!

#546 3 years ago

I'm curious what harm it would be to discuss with a landlord what rent accommodation they could make, if the alternative is the business closing. It's not like they'd have a new tenant lined up anytime soon and if multiple businesses closed on the property it would create negative curb appeal.

It's an unprecedented situation so every idea is worth exploring.

#547 3 years ago
    Quoted from bane:

Hand hygiene isn’t exactly news.
    See Semmelweis, Philipp born 1818.

Not new, but also not well practiced. I can tell ya the sink by the exit of my house is getting a workout like it never has in 12 years living here. I have never washed my hands this frequently in my life except when doing surgery.

#548 3 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Maybe I can have our engineer patent a mask with an integrated encased sipping straw.

That concept has been patented a few years ago.

#549 3 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

I think it's going to be difficult for us to sustain our arcade bar. All signs are pointing to masking up prior to entry. Maybe I can have our engineer patent a mask with an integrated encased sipping straw. I am happy that I see some planning from our peers in this business. I would say that our rent is entirely too high to overcome at Starport. I have many projects I can work on that were part of our 5 year plan but if entertainment is effected to this degree due to the virus then we will have to move our focus to other businesses we have until things normalize.
    Thank you to everyone that contributed to this thread and I truly hope all of our Operators can withstand the uphill climb we have in front of us. Good luck! Cheers!

If masks are going to be the deal breaker for you, here is a little ammunition. Personally, while wearing N95 respirators has a very important role in protecting front line health care providers, for general public it’s not clear it does much of anything. Even for people who score N95 masks, I find them mostly wearing them wrong (upside down even !). If they aren’t fit tested then they do nothing - like having a leaky valve. That said will we have people wear them ? If they want. Some of this is about true science and some of it is about impression of safety

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/04/commentary-masks-all-covid-19-not-based-sound-data

#550 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I’m in the process of determining the minimum number of open pins between players.
    One empty pin isn’t maintaining a six-foot distance.
    Two creates serious utilization problems.
    I’m lucky that my location has multiple windows. I’m going to use fans to create a wind tunnel. Although it may result in higher humidity and temperatures, it will guarantee a high level of fresh airflow... which may allow a one machine distance rule to be practical.
    Most businesses won’t have exterior windows, so I predict standalone UV + fan purifiers will become a hot item. Haven’t researched the market for these yet, but there might be a shortage if it makes the difference between being able to open and protect customers versus staying closed and not being trusted.
    Masks and that “UV glow“ + airflow will be trusted signposts for the foreseeable future. I expect to see new ad campaigns soon... “99.9% UV clean for your protection!” or some such.
    Customers will not return until they are assured of their safety. Has to be real, not merely lip service.

Love your creative though to safely reopen. Smart. Crazy thought with no suggestion but would some form of upright plastic partition (on the skipper game) between game’s quality as distancing? Kind of like the stores and post office use now? Yes it would look odd and not cheap just tossing out ideas.

There are 1,550 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-temporarily-closed-my-arcade-thread-/page/11?hl=rampton and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.