Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpeg
charles_atlas_ad.jpg
hardbodysite02_mop.jpg
hardbody.jpg

#1 3 years ago

Hey all, here's a club for all of you that love games that are normally shunned. Got a Raven and love it? How about a Hardbody? I know someone out there has a Popeye they want to show off. I want to see a collection of shunned games that you love. Also known as the "I got this cheap for a reason" club.

My addition:

Just picked up a Hardbody. Just put an NVRam chip in, and I'm waiting on my flipper rebuild kits to arrive before I put some serious time in on this. My initial impression is that this game plays pretty damn fast and fun, but holding off on more play until I get those flippers nice and snappy.

Honorable mention:
Genesis

hardbody.jpg

#2 3 years ago

Is Genesis maligned because of the artwork? I know Monte Carlo is, and that's a damn fine pin. Note: Genesis effing rocks.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Is Genesis maligned because of the artwork? I know Monte Carlo is, and that's a damn fine pin. Note: Genesis effing rocks.

I believe Genesis suffers both from the "It's a Gottlieb" and "bad artwork" curse. I think it's a well-designed and fast game, plenty of action with simple to follow but difficult to execute rules. And the playfield artwork is pretty damn good.

#4 3 years ago

I regret selling my space jam. Under rated lay out and fun to play just needs a rules update. I guess it doesn't fit the ugly though because it's not a bad game art wise (especially being a big NBA fan).

Is there an alt translite for hard body? Someone should do a comic art style gym one or something.

#5 3 years ago

charles_atlas_ad.jpg

Quoted from pinmanguy: Is there an alt translite for Hard Body? Someone should do a comic art style gym one or something.

I have an idea for one.

I'd play off the old "HERO OF THE BEACH" Atlas ads that would run in old comic books.

#7 3 years ago

Oooo, bad can be so fun

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

Is there an alt translite for Hard Body?

Someone made a worse translite it doesn't make sense. Although technically I guess all of these stolen pics of sexy ladies copy pasted translites are worse, but doing this to a Hardbody seems particularly bad.

I wish I had more experience with Hardbody. It doesn't look like a bad game at all and seems severely underpriced.

hardbodysite02_mop.jpg

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Someone made a worse translite it doesn't make sense. Although technically I guess all of these stolen pics of sexy ladies copy pasted translites are worse, but doing this to a Hardbody seems particularly bad.
I wish I had more experience with Hardbody. It doesn't look like a bad game at all and seems severely underpriced.

hardbodysite02_mop.jpg

I hate those back glasses. Just cringe worthy.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

I believe Genesis suffers both from the "It's a Gottlieb" and "bad artwork" curse. I think it's a well-designed and fast game, plenty of action with simple to follow but difficult to execute rules. And the playfield artwork is pretty damn good.

I agree. Loved to play this game back in the day.

I also think the backglass photo was so bad that is was good.

#11 3 years ago

High Five to all those that can look past the horrifying (or sexy depending on how strange your taste in women) translite on Hardbody to realize it's actually a fantastic pin. Great ruleset, even scoring and amazing layout. Best single ball game I've ever played.

image.jpeg

#12 3 years ago

I don't get why baby Pacman gets hated on. Love that game. Take the time to get good at it and it's a very fun game.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I don't get why baby Pacman gets hated on. Love that game. Take the time to get good at it and it's a very fun game.

I think it's a unique game and fun in small doses, but it has a reputation for being one of the, if not the MOST, difficult pins to maintain from a tech perspective.

Not that I know personally cause I don't do board/repair work, but everyone I've talked to that has owned one at some point has said it was a nightmare of a game in that respect.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

I think it's a unique game and fun in small doses, but it has a reputation for being one of the, if not the MOST, difficult pins to maintain from a tech perspective.
Not that I know personally cause I don't do board/repair work, but everyone I've talked to that has owned one at some point has said it was a nightmare of a game in that respect.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Between my friend and me, we have had it for like 10 years and I haven't had to do anything to it but replace some bulbs, and replace the joystick door lock.

#15 3 years ago

This is interesting, I have most of the supposed A list games, but yet I find myself liking teenage mutant ninja turtles. It even came out after I was out of high school so I was never a big fan, or my kids. But somehow I like the game. My little nephews when their here that's all they play. Widely hated game by pinball community but I like it in some weird way. Todd Scott

#16 3 years ago

Popeye is actually a lot of fun and has massive depth. I'd get one but I got one for my mother in law a few years back.

#17 3 years ago

One of my local arcades has an Alien Star and I'll always play it first before even looking at Metallica or Game of Thrones.

Later Gottliebs don't deserve a bad reputation - I've also had a great time on Victory and Hollywood Heat.

#18 3 years ago

I recently took my son to an arcade with 30+ machines. No matter what I played, I kept going back to Data East's Secret Service. Not sure why, I just loved playing it.

"And stay out!"

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

One of my local arcades has an Alien Star and I'll always play it first before even looking at Metallica or Game of Thrones.
Later Gottliebs don't deserve a bad reputation - I've also had a great time on Victory and Hollywood Heat.

Don't forget about Mr and Mrs Pacman. Most ppl hate that game and it's awesome.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
€ 8.40
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Freehold Township, NJ
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Magnolia, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Ann Arbor, MI
$ 399.95
$ 39.95
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 13.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 137.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside