Taxi_292.jpg
Taxi_291.jpg
Taxi_289.jpg
Taxi_288.jpg
Taxi_287.jpg
Taxi_286.jpg
Taxi_285.jpg
Taxi_284.jpg
There are 294 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
#201 9 years ago

Wow. Looks incredible. Jealous over here!!

In looking at your prior posts, is the ground braid easy to re-install? Looks like you're just using some sort of heavy duty stapler? Is it that easy?

#202 9 years ago

Its an fine wire stapler. Yes the ground braid can be reattached.I prefer to just replace it. The original braid was put in rather sloppy. I tend to clean it up a bit.

Taxi 242.jpgTaxi 242.jpg Taxi 243.jpgTaxi 243.jpg
#203 9 years ago

Could a less expensive stapler work? Like an old school silver handheld one (one that uses heavy duty staples)? It just has to stay stapled to the cab, right? The actual staples don't have a purpose per se, do they?

The purpose of the ground braid is just to link metal parts together, yes?

Sorry if these are dumb questions..

#204 9 years ago

I, too, have often wondered what people think is the crappiest acceptable stapler for both cabinet and playfield ground braids.

I declare the question to be... not stupid!

Edit: heh. Just realized that there are decent air operated staple guns on Amazon for $35. I was expecting a much higher price tag.

#205 9 years ago

A stapler is a stapler, but the Unicatch that most folks use on pin restorations is relatively inexpensive.

The one thing to keep in mind - there's no 'safety' on a Unicatch stapler. So, you can point it at something and pull the trigger, and a staple shoots out.

So, be extra careful with it, and keep it out of reach of children

#206 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

The one thing to keep in mind - there's no 'safety' on a Unicatch stapler. So, you can point it at something and pull the trigger, and a staple shoots out.

Now I'm definitely buying one. For restorations of course.

#207 9 years ago

It would be to cumbersome to run braid with a hand action stapler.

#208 9 years ago

Someday I will get that far. Those cabinets are very pretty. I have a little more than half of the playfield swapped. Have a lot more work to do.

IMG_1497.JPGIMG_1497.JPG IMG_1496.JPGIMG_1496.JPG
#209 9 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Have a lot more work to do.

If it helps this thread is 9 months old

#210 9 years ago

First cabinet is close

Taxi 244.jpgTaxi 244.jpg Taxi 245.jpgTaxi 245.jpg
#211 9 years ago

Starting to really like the black

Taxi 246.jpgTaxi 246.jpg
#212 9 years ago

The devil in the details

Taxi 249.jpgTaxi 249.jpg Taxi 248.jpgTaxi 248.jpg
#213 9 years ago

Those games are looking AWESOME! Keep the picts coming.

#214 9 years ago

Eye candy.

#215 9 years ago

Taxi is a fun game and getting a chance to play a nice example is hard to do.
I am sure you will have one of if not the nicest one in the state of Ohio when finished.

#216 9 years ago

Beauty. Thanks especially for the black version as I was considering that approach, and now I can see it applied before making my decision. Also, thanks for the motivation to log off the computer and go work on my own Taxi project (and shoot some staples across the garage just for fun).

Steve

#217 9 years ago
Quoted from Evets:

and shoot some staples across the garage just for fun)

If you own a cat I have a better suggestion.

#218 9 years ago

A bit more progress today.

Taxi 251.jpgTaxi 251.jpg Taxi 250.jpgTaxi 250.jpg Taxi 252.jpgTaxi 252.jpg Taxi 253.jpgTaxi 253.jpg Taxi 254.jpgTaxi 254.jpg Taxi 255.jpgTaxi 255.jpg Taxi 256.jpgTaxi 256.jpg Taxi 257.jpgTaxi 257.jpg Taxi 258.jpgTaxi 258.jpg Taxi 259.jpgTaxi 259.jpg
#219 9 years ago

So todays lesson ,the main board needs to be in upside down

Taxi 260.jpgTaxi 260.jpg
#220 9 years ago

i know this is a taxi thread but... i noticed a BOP in the backround. what are your plans with her ?

#221 9 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

i know this is a taxi thread but... i noticed a BOP in the backround. what are your plans with her ?

Not mine, mine is in project line up

#222 9 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

So todays lesson ,the main board needs to be in upside down

Only if you aren't using a remote battery holder. Why Williams changed that between sys 9 & 11 is a head scratcher.

#223 9 years ago

So as I'm compiling boards and putting together to working machines I came across these ROMs found them interesting

image.jpgimage.jpg
#224 9 years ago

Just wondering where you purchased your decals.

#225 9 years ago

Side art was through Planetary

#226 9 years ago

Thanks.

I made a fair offer on a restoration taxi with a pretty bad cabinet. Would need the works in terms of cab restoration at this point so trying to balance costs of decals/restoration with the amount I can spend in total.

#227 9 years ago

Awesome thread Pilot ! I haven't been here to see your progress in a long while and should have been giving you shit along the way .

That Festool stuff you have is way too clean, you need to use them more.

I'll be sure to check in more, you can use the help!

#228 9 years ago

Im replacing the speaker panel. Any suggestions on adhering it ? I'm using strips of 3M

Taxi 270.jpgTaxi 270.jpg Taxi 271.jpgTaxi 271.jpg Taxi 272.jpgTaxi 272.jpg Taxi 273.jpgTaxi 273.jpg
#229 9 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Im replacing the speaker panel. Any suggestions on adhering it ? I'm using strips of 3M

Taxi 270.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
Taxi 271.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
Taxi 272.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
Taxi 273.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

That's how I do mine.

3 weeks later
#230 8 years ago

My apologies. I've been working on these hit or miss with the season change in Ohio. A few updates. The first Taxi is 95% complete. Having issues with several pop bumpers not working. Also shooter lane issues. The second ( black Taxi ) is at 75 %. I'm hoping it works 100% when done. Then a board switch to localize the issues.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-895.jpgimage-895.jpg image-136.jpgimage-136.jpg
#231 8 years ago

Eye candy.

#232 8 years ago

Man those look pretty. I wish I had the talent to do something like this

#233 8 years ago

Ive been messing with the shooter lane and plunger more than I care to .Still not having great luck getting the ball to round the spinout ramp consistently. Has anyone else had these issues?

#234 8 years ago

Have you tried contacting cpr and seeing if other people using their playfield has this issue? I could've sworn I read somewhere another cpr person had this issue... then again, why would a new pf cause it?

I will message someone I know who did a swap and see if that's where my spotty memory is at...

#235 8 years ago

Ive also heard talk that there was an issue. Hoping someone will chime in. If there was an issue it would be how the lane is cut that could cause launch problems.I believe .

#236 8 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Ive also heard talk that there was an issue. Hoping someone will chime in. If there was an issue it would be how the lane is cut that could cause launch problems.I believe .

Take the shooter rubber off and take a look at where the plunger contacts the ball. If it does not contact the ball squarely in the center both horizontally and vertically you will have problems with a smooth launch. All you can do is adjust the location of the shooter assy. It may even be necessary to hog out the holes on the cabinet in order to get enough shooter assembly movement to achieve this.

The other thing to look for is the wire form ramp and spinout ramp alignment. Some tweaking may be in order there too.

Michael

#237 8 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Ive been messing with the shooter lane and plunger more than I care to .Still not having great luck getting the ball to round the spinout ramp consistently. Has anyone else had these issues?

Yep. Check your playfield brackets that fit into the lockdown bar. They can become bent over time. Sometimes that tilts the playfield and causes the ball not to make its way up the ramp fast/even enough. If the plunger is hitting the ball square in the middle, definitely check the level-ness of the playfield.

#238 8 years ago

Keith Really NICE!!! Great work man! alot of hard work. Cant wait to see DONNY DARE!!!

#239 8 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

Take the shooter rubber off and take a look at where the plunger contacts the ball. If it does not contact the ball squarely in the center both horizontally and vertically you will have problems with a smooth launch.

Been done. not the issue. it seems irratic once it hits the wire ramp. Just not a smooth flow.

#240 8 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

The other thing to look for is the wire form ramp and spinout ramp alignment. Some tweaking may be in order there too.

This ^^^is next. I am close to dropping the second playfield in and hope to have second mechanical opinion formed.

#241 8 years ago

PPS uses guys who are color blind for the decals. Look at the bad cats decals.

Its too bad the guy who used to do the screen printed decals is getting out of the pinball decal business, his were always great.

#242 8 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Been done. not the issue. it seems irratic once it hits the wire ramp. Just not a smooth flow.

It will sound odd, but make sure the ramps are straight and the width between the rails are consistent (it seems that they bend at the first inch and can cause a random roll). Also, I had seen this on only one other game. But check the rails to see if they are magnetized. I came across a pin with a magnetized rail and it acted really odd. If you think of it, if a coil (or some jackhole with a screwdriver, because I have never done so <twiddles thumbs> shorts out against that rail it can magnetize. IF it does, it can cause the ball to spin as it is attracted to one pole. The harder you plunge it, it may miss the affected area. It may sound like a load of BTTF amounts of manure but take it for what its worth.

#243 8 years ago

Beautiful job, just saw this thread for the first time... I like your rotisserie, did you make it?

#244 8 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

Take the shooter rubber off and take a look at where the plunger contacts the ball. If it does not contact the ball squarely in the center both horizontally and vertically you will have problems with a smooth launch. All you can do is adjust the location of the shooter assy. It may even be necessary to hog out the holes on the cabinet in order to get enough shooter assembly movement to achieve this.
Michael

Also take a look at your original Playfield, does shooter lane have the same depth where ball sits as the new PF. In my case I sanded down shooter lane to match original then applied two coats of clear. The shooter channel helps stabilize the ball.

#245 8 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

Michael

Also take a look at your original Playfield, does shooter lane have the same depth where ball sits as the new PF. In my case I sanded down shooter lane to match original then applied two coats of clear. The shooter channel helps stabilize the ball.

#246 8 years ago

Sorry for repeat post, was having network issue.

#247 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Beautiful job, just saw this thread for the first time... I like your rotisserie, did you make it?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sky-pilots-rotisserie-plans

#249 8 years ago

Any luck with the shooter lane issues Skypilot?

#250 8 years ago

I'm just about finished with the second Taxi. Once done I'll go back and tweak Taxi 1.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 294 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-tale-of-two-taxis/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.