Taxi_292.jpg
Taxi_291.jpg
Taxi_289.jpg
Taxi_288.jpg
Taxi_287.jpg
Taxi_286.jpg
Taxi_285.jpg
Taxi_284.jpg
There are 294 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
#101 9 years ago

Is there also a "White Taxi" being done?

I admire your work, but think System 11 machines need white rubber

Looking good though!

Chris

#102 9 years ago

One of the two will be traditional(stainless/white rubber). I refer to it as the white Taxi. The black Taxi will have black rubber,and black powder-coat on the legs,armor and metal ramps.

Thanks for the compliment.

#103 9 years ago

The ramp flaps that I had were to far gone to re-blue so I decided to attempt cutting new ones.
Taxi 135.jpgTaxi 135.jpg
Taxi 136.jpgTaxi 136.jpg
Taxi 137.jpgTaxi 137.jpg

#104 9 years ago

Those are looking awesome. Were they new plfields or did you clear them?

#105 9 years ago

They are CPR PF's. I went ahead and sent mine out to Andy and had him throw more clear on it.

Yeah I know ,call my therapist.

#106 9 years ago

Wow, those ramps flaps look amazing!

If I may ask, how did you cut them?

Chris

#107 9 years ago

sheet metal scissors
Taxi 138.jpgTaxi 138.jpg

#108 9 years ago

what material did you use for the ramp flaps? Was it already blued?

#109 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

what material did you use for the ramp flaps? Was it already blued?

http://www.pinrestore.com/Supplies.html

sold in small rolls

#110 9 years ago

Pinrestore is great, but if you are looking for a larger sheet, BAA has them...

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=FLP

#111 9 years ago

What type of riveter did you use, and what size rivets? Also how did you get the old rivets out?

#112 9 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

What type of riveter did you use, and what size rivets? Also how did you get the old rivets out?

Drill the backside of the old rivets with a bit the same size as the hole/rivet body 1/8 " I beleive. That should be good enough to get them to pop out.

The rivet s and tool are here:
http://www.pinrestore.com/Riveting.html
Img219.jpgImg219.jpgImg152.jpgImg152.jpg

#113 9 years ago

I purchased the kit and bought the tool at Harbor Freight.

#114 9 years ago

Cool. I had to buy new spring steel as well as mine's all rusted. 1/8th diameter rivets, is there a length too or are you just eyeballing case by case? Those are nickel looks like. I'd imagine that for the ramps, guides, etc that they're all the same rivet type and size?

#115 9 years ago

Eyeball ,You want just enough to curl back.

1 week later
#117 9 years ago

I've run into a snag with the coil wrappers so I'm jumping on the cabinets for a bit.

Taxi 153.jpgTaxi 153.jpg Taxi 152.jpgTaxi 152.jpg Taxi 150.jpgTaxi 150.jpg
#118 9 years ago

So I"m having a few issues with the coil wrappers. Three of the wrappers are yellow and the replacements at PPS are green and blue.
Before anyone instructs me to make my own, I can but choose not to . PPS's wrappers are made of a waxed paper that is close to original.
Rick is working on this .
My question is this . Did theychange the color system at Williams in the late 80's?

#119 9 years ago

Yes. Sys 11 era non-flipper coils were all yellow. Somewhere in WPC production, they went with a different color for different values.

For some reason, I think my t2s all had all yellow coils.

#120 9 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

So I"m having a few issues with the coil wrappers. Three of the wrappers are yellow and the replacements at PPS are green and blue.
Before anyone instructs me to make my own, I can but choose not to . PPS's wrappers are made of a waxed paper that is close to original.
My question is this . Did theychange the color system at Williams in the late 80's?

For sure all my original coil wrappers were Yellow. I ended up using PPS's new wrappers because I'm not 100% a stickler for total accuracy. I also swapped my lockdown bar for the newer WPC style because you can't get new System 11 ones.

#121 9 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

If you can reach Rick, I had the same issue with my Taxi, and called him, he just made the correct color for the coils I needed based on what my game already had in them, and made them part of the coil wrapper kit I bought from him.

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from HighSpeed1:

If you can reach Rick

I have spoken with him via/PM I'm waiting to see if he is putting together a Taxi coil wrapper package.

#123 9 years ago

All of my WW coil wrappers (original) are yellow.

2 weeks later
#124 9 years ago

going to need a little repair

Taxi 155.jpgTaxi 155.jpg Taxi 156.jpgTaxi 156.jpg
1 week later
#125 9 years ago

Trying to stay organized. Its a bitch,Should have named the thread the tale of too many taxis.

Taxi 165.jpgTaxi 165.jpg Taxi 168.jpgTaxi 168.jpg Taxi 169.jpgTaxi 169.jpg Taxi 170.jpgTaxi 170.jpg
#126 9 years ago

This. Is. AWESOME.

1 week later
#127 9 years ago

Need some help here. Can anyone explain the 03 on the end of this coil?

Taxi 182.jpgTaxi 182.jpg
#128 9 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Need some help here. Can anyone explain the 03 on the end of this coil?

Ha. What the heck is going on there. Think you're joking but in case you're not 23-800 is the right coil

#129 9 years ago

I'm not joking. I found this on 3 of the 4 Taxis(in separate areas). I wish to learn what this stands for.
That 03 in white is a separate label on top of the other.

#130 9 years ago

Not present on my coils. Not sure what it means, but now I'm curious!

IMG_0468.JPGIMG_0468.JPG
#131 9 years ago

I believe -03 means it's a 1N4003 diode.

#132 9 years ago
Quoted from ts4z:

I believe -03 means it's a 1N4003 diode.

Why would they use a 300 volt diode on a solenoid that operates on 50 volts?

#133 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Why would they use a 300 volt diode on a solenoid that operates on 50 volts?

Uh, ok, so I'm out of my depth here. But the backspike of voltage when a coil is shut off is a multiple of the input voltage. A 1N4002 diode is only good to 100V, so presumably a 1N4003 diode is big enough.

Or maybe they were on sale.

http://www.diodes.com/datasheets/ds28002.pdf says 1N4003 is good to 200V, not 300V.

#134 9 years ago

When the pushbutton switch is actuated, current goes through the inductor, producing a magnetic field around it. When the switch is de-actuated, its contacts open, interrupting current through the inductor, and causing the magnetic field to rapidly collapse. Because the voltage induced in a coil of wire is directly proportional to the rate of change over time of magnetic flux (Faraday's Law: e = NdΦ/dt), this rapid collapse of magnetism around the coil produces a high voltage “spike”.

If the inductor in question is an electromagnet coil, such as in a solenoid or relay (constructed for the purpose of creating a physical force via its magnetic field when energized), the effect of inductive “kickback” serves no useful purpose at all. In fact, it is quite detrimental to the switch, as it causes excessive arcing at the contacts, greatly reducing their service life. Of the practical methods for mitigating the high voltage transient created when the switch is opened, none so simple as the so-called commutating diode.

However, when the switch is opened, the coil's inductance responds to the decrease in current by inducing a voltage of reverse polarity, in an effort to maintain current at the same magnitude and in the same direction. This sudden reversal of voltage polarity across the coil forward-biases the diode, and the diode provides a current path for the inductor's current, so that its stored energy is dissipated slowly rather than suddenly in Figure above (c).

As a result, the voltage induced in the coil by its collapsing magnetic field is quite low: merely the forward voltage drop of the diode, rather than hundreds of volts as before. Thus, the switch contacts experience a voltage drop equal to the battery voltage plus about 0.7 volts (if the diode is silicon) during this discharge time.

In electronics parlance, commutation refers to the reversal of voltage polarity or current direction. Thus, the purpose of a commutating diode is to act whenever voltage reverses polarity, for example, on an inductor coil when current through it is interrupted. A less formal term for a commutating diode is snubber, because it “snubs” or “squelches” the inductive kickback.

For the nerds
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_3/9.html

#136 9 years ago

Looking back at photos, clearly they show an -03 on my pop bumper coils. One shows a diode the other is missing the diode.

#137 9 years ago

I finally got my coil wrapper issues fixed.(after this screw-up)See if you can figure it out

Taxi 183.jpgTaxi 183.jpg Taxi 184.jpgTaxi 184.jpg Taxi 185.jpgTaxi 185.jpg
#138 9 years ago

Then I had to fix this.
Taxi 189.jpgTaxi 189.jpg

I'm showing my rookie status on system 11's
Taxi 192.jpgTaxi 192.jpg

#139 9 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I finally got my coil wrapper issues fixed.(after this screw-up)See if you can figure it out

Taxi 183.jpg 233 KB

Taxi 184.jpg 178 KB

Taxi 185.jpg 260 KB

Is it the one in the middle is upside down? Cause that is killing my OCD.

#140 9 years ago

That's one issue. There's more.

#142 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

AR! It's talking like a pirate

I didnt catch that until they were installed.

#143 9 years ago

OK so I am close to finishing one PF. All the wiring is completed. That gives me the opportunity to install the three ramps. I notice this lane tower rubs the bottom side of my ramp. has anyone else run into this? I'm considering shortening the lower posts

Taxi 197.jpgTaxi 197.jpg Taxi 198.jpgTaxi 198.jpg
#144 9 years ago

Mine is folded at the moment, but if I remember there was a piece of sticky foam on the underside of the ramp to prevent damage to the ramp because the natural clearances were 0...

#145 9 years ago

The new ramps are from pinball inc. They are a bit thicker with I love but flexibility is limited. I believe the tower is supposed to be a support. I just think mine could use a tweaking.

#146 9 years ago

I think you are correct on the support, I have playfield swap to do with the Pinball Inc ramps too, I'll be crossing this bridge soon...

#147 9 years ago

Another question? All 4 Taxis had this piece behind the ramps. Common sense says in front. Thoughts

Behind.Taxi 199.jpgTaxi 199.jpg
infrontTaxi 200.jpgTaxi 200.jpg

#148 9 years ago

I've never seen ramp flaps on the sides. I agree with you that inside the ramp seems to make more sense. If it was outside, why bother?

#149 9 years ago

Goes in front not behind, otherwise the ball strikes the edge of the plastic of the ramp and could damage the ramp / reject the shot. The spring steel makes the transition to the ramp smooth and makes the shot more achievable.

Also, my new ramp also scrapes on the post. The new ramps are not as flexible as the old ones, I had to apply a small amount of force to get them to fit into place. I don't recall a piece to protect against scratching the bottom of the ramp. In practice the ramps should be pretty snug and won't scratch after they're screwed into place, because they shouldn't be moving.

#150 9 years ago

Just found this thread. Great project.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.50
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
There are 294 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-tale-of-two-taxis/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.