(Topic ID: 1804)

The Tale of the Five Hundred Pinball Machines

By LaughingOtter

13 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 13 years ago

The Dos Flamingos Road Trip begins tomorrow!

We’re off to visit Reno (NV), Las Vegas (NV), Scottsdale (AZ), the Grand Canyon (AZ), Surprise (AZ), Los Angeles (CA), the 35th Annual Rocky Horror Convention in LA, the Winchester Mystery House (CA), San Francisco (CA), San Rafael (CA), Portland (OR), Tacoma (WA), and back home to Seattle (WA).

Oh, yeah, the pinball spots we’re visiting will be The Las Vegas Pinball Museum (155), Castles and Coasters in Scottsdale (30), Pins & Needles in LA (8), Family Amusement Corporation in LA (12), the Pacific Pinball Expo (250), Ground Kontrol in Portland (25), Slabtown in Portland (10), Dorky’s in Tacoma (6), Hell’s Kitchen in Tacoma (5), and probably say hello to the gang at Shorty’s (17) before we get home. That should be enough pinball for a while. A week, tops.

Doubtless there will be others we encounter on the way, and if I do, I will put them up on my Pinball Maps.

We’re also bringing a lot of homebrew with us. There will be lots of pictures of people playing pinball and enjoying our beer.

Are you on our route? Contact me!

Steve

#2 13 years ago

Don't like beer .. got micro brews of whiskey or some medical "plant based" stuff ?
    Watch out for those west coast cops

#3 13 years ago

We will be out there for Pacific Pinball Expo, LaughtingOtter. Myself...probably jonnyo and others. Can't wait to run into other pinsiders again. If they got a BSD, we need to get a 4 person game going. Dracula humbles even the best players.

If anyone going has translites done by Doug Watson, or Steve Ritchie pinball machine owners....bring your translites. Both will be on-site and are happy to autograph them. I am bringing my Shadow and STTNG translites.

#4 13 years ago

That sounds pretty sweet. The closest you are coming to me is SF. Also, in downtown Portland in the china district, there's a sweet two-story arcade tucked in among the asian markets and restaurants that has pinball machines upstairs and old arcade games downstairs. They have beer and live music on weekends. You might look it up.

Edit: you're already going to it. I should read the whole post.

#5 13 years ago

I will be at PPE also...I am looking forward to it.

#6 13 years ago

Wow!
    an awesome road trip - take plenty of photos for us

#7 13 years ago

If you're hitting SF/PPE, there is also:

Playland-not-at-the-beach (coin op, carnival, and pinball museum)
    Musee Mecanique in SF (coin op museum, a few pins)
    Pacific Pinball Museum - will be open during Expo.

As for Reno - there was an arcade right on the reno/sparks border with around five pins, but it was closed for the winter. The other decent venue was Harrahs, with four pins. Two were off. I played Elvis most of the time, and some classic vids. My memories of that arcade go back to the 80s, and my dad was a busboy in the coffee shop there in the 60's.

#8 13 years ago

The Las Vegas Pinball Hall Of Fame was EVERYTHING that was promised and more! I counted at least 150 pinball machines, I ran out of film trying to get pictures of them all. Plus there's a sizable Retrocade including Space Invaders II!
    Lots of old wood-rail games, plenty of EMs and ALL the new DMDs are there. No admission, lots of games are set to 5-ball play, they even have The Williams Pinball Circus (yes, that one!) and Q-Bert's Quest! Ultra-rare stuff, that!
    I met up with a Facebook friend who was here in Vegas playing in a checkers championship and we had a New York vs. Seattle competition. New York beat Seattle, 10 games to 6.
    I think I played more than 100 games yesterday. Which was great, as up until yesterday afternoon I hadn't got a single game in.

Tim Arnold is a great guy who really loves pinball machines. We had a very nice chat. He's definitely one of those pinball repair wizards like what you may have heard about in that article recently.

Everyone should visit this place! And when you do, prepare to spend the entire day there. And it's far enough off the Strip that you won't have to deal with the mindless tourist sheeple!

The Las Vegas Pinball Hall Of Fame
    1610 S. Tropicana
    Las Vegas, NV 89119

#9 13 years ago

Ohhh yea, pacific pinball expo is creeping up on us. I can't wait!! I will be prepared with plenty of beers and yes brokedad I will have plenty of my green medication handy as well. It is legal for me so I don't need to worry about any badges.

#10 13 years ago

Dude! How about some Volcano action? And some homebrew?

#11 13 years ago

My Volcano will be present as well it was a big "hit" at California Extreme, I got no homebrew though.

#12 13 years ago

I've got a Scotch Ale and a Sacred Cow IPA. Someshould be left by the time we reach PPE. It was only kegged last week so should still be very fresh.

#13 13 years ago

Damn you dudes have it good..must move over there one of these days..

#14 13 years ago

Fantastic! I'll see a bunch of you at PPE then! You will know us by our tie-dyes!

#15 13 years ago

So we've put in for a couple of days stopover in Los Angeles to attend the 35th Rocky Horror Anniversary Convention! People from all over the world! I did the Time Warp on stage in front of hundreds of people! Lots of scantily-clad young people, too! Barry Bostwick, Little Nell, and Patricia Quinn were there! So was Lou Adler, the guy responsible for bringing Rocky Horror to this side of the pond! Yesterday was Shock Treatment, and Jessica Lange and Cliff DeYoung were both there!
    The IPA is now down by about half. So I think it'll be Scotch Ale for those of you attending the Pacific Pinball Expo this year...

#16 13 years ago

Quite a bit of the Scotch Ale was happily drunk by the people at Tuesday's Pins & Needles competition. I got eliminated after the fourth game. Not much of either beer left.
    Yesterday was my 48th birthday, and my resourceful wife managed to wrangle an invitation to the Magic Castle in Hollywood for dinner and a show from the Haunted Hollywood tour guides we met Monday. It pays to party with your tour guides, donchathink?
    Today we head North for the Pacific Pinball Exposition by way of Gilroy (we need more garlic, dammit!) and the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose. We'll put in for the evening at the Embassy Suites in San Rafael, and hopefully meet up with some of our old friends from Seattle and some of our new friends from Los Angeles.
    And then, we'll have our choice from over 350 games.
    That tops the 500 mark, I think...

#17 13 years ago

I was at the Magic Castle once. Pretty cool place. Did you get to check out that "haunted" piano?

#18 13 years ago

We did!
    So here we are at PPE. We're at the Embassy Suites across the the street! Give me a call at 206.380.9430 if you're interested in hooking up on Friday! Seattle is in the house and we're out to kick everyone's butt!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-tale-of-the-five-hundred-pinball-machines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.