5508288_std.jpg
IMG_4047.JPG
IMG_4048.JPG
George-Costanza-Eating-Popcorn.gif
image-44.jpg
Insane.jpg
image.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 571 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 12.
#51 9 years ago

Cory Hoggard, you conduct yourself like a piece of shit over and over again.

You lowball the daylights out of people
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fst-space-jam-grand-lizard-big-guns-dale-jr-star-trek-next-gen-ft#postbox

You flip broken games at premium prices, and try your damnedest to avoid making things right
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/choggards-defective-2300-blackoutrepaired-by-ray-brackins

You created an alter-ego to pump your sale threads:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-taxi-michigan

You badger people who don't want to deal with you to buy games. (I've experienced this, and had multiple people here PM me to tell me similar stories.)

You took advantage of Clay's kindness.

You conduct yourself like a liar, a scammer, and a thief.

QED.

#52 9 years ago

And yet he still has the privilege of posting games for sale on the pinside marketplace.

Latest one went up yesterday...

http://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/13239

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

This is a case of buyer remorse. I've sold plenty of machines on here and had no problems at all. The BK2000 was a very nice machine that was completely shopped and working. I replaced all lights with LEDs, all posts, rubbers, display, clean and wax, etc. Apparently the Ransom lights weren't working right because they were plugged in wrong and missed two pins for connection. Simple fix unplug and plug back in, Mike was concerned that it fried the circuit board and I told him it wouldn't.
I described everything to him about the machine. All GI was working on the machine. I've got plenty of pictures to show this. I called his repair tech and asked him what he repaired and he said something on the board had broke and said that it could of been the battery pack that hit it and knocked it off. I didn't secure the battery pack so I felt responsible in helping out with repairs.
Needless to say I apologized and credited Mike $250 for the repair..
PS-For what it's worth Mike said his wife didn't know about the purchase. He said his wife wouldn't be happy with him about purchasing the machine but he planned on doing it anyway and probably would have to sleep on the couch.. I laughed when he told me that but now I believe it's true..

Do you know what a full shop job is? I'm sorry but if you keep getting pissed off buyers from your "fully shopped" machines then you may need to stop using that saying. What you call a full shop job others consider a monthly cleaning. You're an absolute joke and I think we can finally say "bye".

#54 9 years ago

Man that really sux. Don't let one deal let you down. There are some good people on pinside. Most people know how to describe a machine properly. Most of us Michigan guys are good to deal with as well.

Sure some of this could have happened in shipping. But I really don't think 5 GI wires would solder back to the board during shipping. If this was not described to you in the first place then the seller has no knowledge of the machine to begin with or just trying to hide things from you. Or maybe he don't even know what a GI connector is and when he said pinball was shopped, he meant he cleaned the balls.

Seller has a little respect to pony up some of the bill, but he should have also stated he was going to pay a max of $250 before you had is serviced.

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from Leachdude:

Man that really sux. Don't let one deal let you down. There are some good people on pinside. Most people know how to describe a machine properly. Most of us Michigan guys are good to deal with as well.
Sure some of this could have happened in shipping. But I really don't think 5 GI wires would solder back to the board during shipping. If this was not described to you in the first place then the seller has no knowledge of the machine to begin with or just trying to hide things from you. Or maybe he don't even know what a GI connector is and when he said pinball was shopped, he meant he cleaned the balls.
Seller has a little respect to pony up some of the bill, but he should have also stated he was going to pay a max of $250 before you had is serviced.

We said that to the last buyer Chogs bent over. This needs to stop NOW. Now a 2nd rookie collector gets screwed by this lowlife.

Sorry to the new buyer. We as a community will try to help out as much as posible.

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

This is a case of buyer remorse. I've sold plenty of machines on here and had no problems at all. The BK2000 was a very nice machine that was completely shopped and working. I replaced all lights with LEDs, all posts, rubbers, display, clean and wax, etc. Apparently the Ransom lights weren't working right because they were plugged in wrong and missed two pins for connection. Simple fix unplug and plug back in, Mike was concerned that it fried the circuit board and I told him it wouldn't.
I described everything to him about the machine. All GI was working on the machine. I've got plenty of pictures to show this. I called his repair tech and asked him what he repaired and he said something on the board had broke and said that it could of been the battery pack that hit it and knocked it off. I didn't secure the battery pack so I felt responsible in helping out with repairs.
PS-For what it's worth Mike said his wife didn't know about the purchase. He said his wife wouldn't be happy with him about purchasing the machine but he planned on doing it anyway and probably would have to sleep on the couch.. I laughed when he told me that but now I believe it's true..

Can you explain the flasher bulbs broken, misc. parts and debris on bottom of cabinet, filthy unshopped playfield etc, etc, etc? Or was that from shipping as well. GO AWAY! You scammer!

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

Are you frickin kidding me man?? You have lied just for the sake of lying case in point. I have owned this machine for years and my family loves it...A FEW WEEKS after you bought it from my friend. Then you say everything you sell is fully shopped and claimed the previous sellers work as you own. What the hell is wrong with you that makes you spew this crap over and over. Also as many have stated you were doing so well not being a piece of shit for a while. I just hope that the mods see the tru problem here and put an end to this crap. Know this Cory no one here has a problem with you making money or flipping machines for profit the problem we ALL have is your constant lying and misleading your buyers. There is an ass for every chair and you can sell your crap at whatever price you want to someone by telling the truth it just takes longer to be honest and I hope you gain som patients.

#58 9 years ago

Sorry to hear the deal went so poorly but thanks for sharing. Hope it doesn't sour you on pinside or the hobby

#59 9 years ago

Here we go again.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Auto techs sometimes get a bad rap, but between clueless consumers, greedy employers, and trying to get the right parts, the job can become very taxing. Those are a few of the reasons I don't do it anymore. At one time it was "fun", but that went away a long time ago. Fixing pinball machines is much more rewarding. No oil, no filter, no wheels, no tires, no brakes, no customers!

I believe "It needs new muffler bearings" is the official line of the Auto Dealers/Auto Repair Association of America. -- haha

#61 9 years ago

Other than Choggard/Hugsc having two accounts, has he done anything to get banned from Pinside? Being a shitty seller and a liar last I checked isn't means for banning.

Sorry that the OP got "Choggarded", and I appreciate him posting his experience. It's too bad he hadn't joined Pinside before the purchase, it may have saved him some money.

Unfortunately Pinside is such a busy site that bad buying experience posts probably won't stick around on the front page long enough to warn others.

Consider this a "bad sellers" bump to keep it towards the top.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

Other than Choggard/Hugsc having two accounts, has he done anything to get banned from Pinside? Being a shitty seller and a liar last I checked isn't means for banning.

rule #1 = be nice

If Robin wants him banned, then he can ban him. I think he is better off not banned as he will just create a new account to sell under.

Best thing is for moderators to block him from putting ads in the market. If he starts an ad on the forum then examples of his history (like this thread) should be posted for newbs to see.

#63 9 years ago

Sorry you got Choggarded. Life is full of bad people.Karma will get him just hope you get to see it happen.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's much harder to get taken when you examine a game in person.

But not impossible.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

My ancestors were Toroficundians they could smell bullshit a mile away so I enjoy reading the delusional ramblings of a true artiste'.
Please carry on.

#66 9 years ago

I'm also still very new to Pinside and I feel for the OP, especially considering BK2K is the first machine I intend to get myself once I can afford to start collecting pins. : /

However, what I wanted to express with this reply is that despite how new I am, I have learned one thing VERY quickly the more I read posts here, the more I talk to members of my local pinball league, and the more I read up about owning pinball machines, and the thing I have learned that is more important than absolutely anything:

*NEVER* buy a machine without looking it over and playing it first! (Unless it's from a friend or someone you trust, in which case you've probably already played it anyways.)

When I'm ready to actually buy my first pin, and every time I intend to buy a pin following, I'm going to first ask for many, MANY pictures from as many angles as possible and insist on testing it out in person first and, since I can't drive, will pay either a friend or league member to take me out there to test it and help bring it back should it be worth the price. If that ain't happening, I ain't buying it, no matter how good the price or how much I want the game. : P

To that end, I think we should have a big, red, closable message that shows up at the top of the page when someone who has no machines registered on Pinside opens a marketplace ad, where the message recommends people new to pinball be extra-super-ultra careful when buying their first pin, taking the time to get lots of pictures and to try it in person first so they know what they're getting themselves into.

Just a thought. ; )

#67 9 years ago

There should be a separate subforum for people to form a "I've been Choggarded" support group.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

There should be a separate subforum for people to form a "I've been Choggarded" support group.

I'm having the Bumper Stickers made up as we speak.

#69 9 years ago

in all honesty most any machine i have bought vid or pinball its not as nice as would be expected from description. from my experience, there are many flippers and many amateurs who sell games and put about zero effort into a game, but few know how to actually "shop" a game.
that term "shop" is another term used quite loosely, just like "huo".
when aaron page shops a game, he takes every nut, bolt, post and piece of trim from the playfield and elsewhere and grinds, polishes and shines it nicer than new. all new coil sleeves, new return springs, new drop target springs, new balls, new leg bolts, new stationary targets, new pf glass..etc
thats a shob job. same methods i've adopted.
all in addition to full pf strip down, the usual buffing to remove swirls, etc..treasure cove style
its amazing. one persons definition of "shop job" to another is different. sellers need be exactly specific as to what they do. I know i myself bend over backwards to properly shop , restore, or rebuild a machine.
I also say this time and time again, and some don't agree, but it usually takes a real player to make a machine right. properly gaped leaf switches, flipper aligning, rubber selection, full flipper rebuilds, proper coil and kick out springs, coil sleeves, tweaks to this, tweaks to that. Understanding how each machine is supposed to operate including controlled GI lamps, proper switch adjustment for staging of flippers and being able to tap pass on older games.
The thing is, its unfortunate but true, there are very few people who are anal and a perfectionist when it comes to machines. the smallest things make me cringe so i jump through hoops to make it right, even sockets that make a lamp not at bright as its supposed to be in ems or ss games.

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

no customers!

Are you kidding? You sold me a godzilla with only 3 balls installed!

Boooo to this guy's rep!

#71 9 years ago

I don't even know him but I guarantee you I would NEVER buy anything from Choggard!

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#73 9 years ago

Being able to see and play a pin before buying is always preferable, but not always possible. There are plenty of quality people on Pinside from whom I would buy a machine sight unseen based on their descriptions--Jalpert and Tracelifter come directly to mind. There are many, many others.

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

I always ask for a copy of the sellers diploma from the Pinball Repair University they graduated from,if they don't have one I assume I'm buying the pin "AS IS"

image-169.jpg 45 KB

Would this help qualify me, at least with a Bally pin?

IMAG2654-767.jpgIMAG2654-767.jpg
#75 9 years ago

All I can say is had something that happened to the OP happened to me, I would personally pay a visit to the seller to resolve the issue.

#76 9 years ago

Wow!! MrBally that is one of the best pinball memorabilia items I have ever seen.That really is cool.

#77 9 years ago

Hi Nextopin,

Very sorry your first pin purchase went so bad. A first pin is something you want to remember, not try to forget.

I still remember mine some 20+ years ago. Here are a few tips for future purchases.

Most have already been mentioned but.

Try to see the pin in person...play it. Open it up and look close at everything. I'm not saying rip the boards out and check the backs (unless it's a $5000+ machine) then have at it!!! Take your time...if you're a serious buyer and you're dealing with a serious seller, time should not be a problem. Don't take the "I have to leave in like 10 minutes"

Ask around.....There are at least 5 different forums on the web (probably more) but at least 5 major ones. Facebook has lots of groups. Join them all if you have to. Lots of guys and gals use the same user name or handle. If they haven't dealt with a certain seller chances are good they know someone who has or has read something about them. One link can open a huge closet of skeletons. Or a great person to deal with.

Ask for detailed, close up, HI res pics. Ask for a newspaper or something with a date near the pin to show he actually has the pin and your seeing the pin today not looking at a pic taken in 1990 (or whenever they introduced time stamps on cameras) you kids and your fancy fu......sorry lost my train of thought........Oh Yeah

Last to come to mind....Ebay feedback. Ask for his e-bay user name if he has one. Tell him just to verify you'll be sending a message through ebay and for him to respond.

I know this seems excessive and steps one through three should be all you need. If a seller questions all of your questions/requests, simply tell him you got burned once and it won't happen again.

Hope this helps and don't let this one bad experience sour you on a great hobby!!!

Rob

#78 9 years ago

This Guy really shouldnt be on pinside & the fact that he still can sell games here while other people receive ban's for much less offenses is really concerning.

#79 9 years ago

I don't know....

A general ban would mean he can just log in with a new account

An IP ban might not work either because (unless I'm mistaken) and it wouldn't be the first time....could he create a new account using a 3g or 4g mobile device.

Again, I don't know. Right now I think we as members are doing all we can and that's get the word out so another new hobbyist won't get screwed. I feel bad for the mods and admins as well. They work on real life jobs and then come here and try to hash out the bad seeds.

#80 9 years ago

There should be term for a newbie getting scammed, I propose "Choggard" as in don't get choggard on that deal.

Also a message to TIGERLAW...stop closing threads left and right would you? Some of this stuff needs to be said and read.

#81 9 years ago

""Also a message to TIGERLAW...stop closing threads left and right would you? Some of this stuff needs to be said and read.""

As someone who had a thread closed (and probably rightly so, I must admit), I don't think the MOD's closing of the threads are a "disagreement" of what we are saying. "Call out" posts aren't allowed, so he stopped it. What I should have done was said if anyone ever believes someone deserves a banning for any reason, and they feel strongly about it, they should leave a message on the MOD Feedback board. Robin seems a "general concensus" type of guy... If he gets enough properly placed feedback on one problem member, I'm sure he would get the message we were sending as a community. Feel free to leave feedback on the MOD board when appropriate, I think it's what it's for.
Edit: and in no way am I saying the public posting is inappropriate. Just saying how I can state something without getting the thread closed...

batmandisguise.jpgbatmandisguise.jpg

#82 9 years ago

I believe this type of call out, with so much substantiated proof and the fact the newer people to this community are continually getting burned, is not a bad thing. I for one, because of this, will not deal with him in any way and thank those who have come forward to help protect the less informed......Me!

#83 9 years ago

Since choggard has now been "officially" changed from a proper name into an adjective (thank you Kvan99), I do believe this thread now conforms to the proper pinside edicate!

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

Being a shitty seller and a liar last I checked isn't means for banning.

When it's well substantiated many, many, many, many, many times... Why not? And don't talk about "rights"... There aren't any online- it's the administrators decision. He can sell whatever the hell he wants, for whatever he wants, but specifically "to do it on PINSIDE" is not a "right" but a privilege that can be revoked by the administrators if they see fit. I'm sure if they feel the site is a vehicle for "newbie trolling" by any members, they will take appropriate steps if they deem it neccesary. All we can do is voice our opinion and hope the administrators agree.

8yzb.jpg8yzb.jpg

#85 9 years ago

Chogger

Noun

A: A flipper who sells base games as fully shopped.

"I bought a game that was supposed to be fully shopped but instead it was folly shopped, I didn't do my research and the guy was a Chogger".

B: An internet comic creator.

http://chogger.com/

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from aalucero:

There is an ass for every chair

#87 9 years ago

damon-affleck-batman-robin-meme.jpgdamon-affleck-batman-robin-meme.jpg

#88 9 years ago

First, I'm very sorry for the OP, no one should have to put up with this kind of crap, and it's especially unfortunate being it's someone new to Pinside. Having no knowledge of this seller, the evidence seems over-whelming that he simply misrepresents the condition of what he sells, hoping that the buyer will just suck it up because of the extreme difficulties in returning a shipped game, it's usually just more cost effective to fix the problems than eat the 2 way shipping cost. Truly a low way to do business, but he isn't the first and he won't be the last unfortunately.

A number of people have stated in this thread that you should never under any circumstances buy a game you haven't inspected in person, I have to disagree with this, a large percentage of my collection has been bought sight unseen, and only once have I been disappointed, and even that was partially my fault for not asking for higher res pictures. It's just simply sometimes not possible to buy local, especially if you collect the older more obscure games. If you do your due diligence and go into the transaction with a caveat emptor attitude you will be fine, these days, with all the different avenues to get the word out, the bad sellers can't hide for long. I am saying this from the point of view of someone who has been doing this for a long time, I would always recommend that new people to the hobby buy local, and preferably get some kind of warranty, you will probably need it.

#89 9 years ago

Is there a thread with everyone that should be 'blacklisted'?

Or whatever the politically correct name for it should be.

http://user.xmission.com/~daina/blacklist.html

Since the mods are not banning these guys, we should have a single thread to round them up?

Links could be added pointing back to their history of dealings.

Quoted from dgpinball:

...Having no knowledge of this seller, the evidence seems over-whelming that he simply misrepresents the condition of what he sells,...

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

I don't know about you guys......but I think this speaks volumes to the character of this Choggard clown as well. He's trying to deflect the negative comments about him, by trying to embarrass the OP.

WTF does this have to do with the fact that Choggard is a slime ball?

NexttoPin, feel for you buddy. I too have been stung by games being misrepresented, and it blows to get something home that you are so looking forward to playing/enjoying to only discover you've been fed a crock of shit.

You'll find for the most part, folks on here are very helpful and will guide you down the right path. As I've become accustomed to, lessons learned are vital in this hobby, and unfortunately, not all can be trusted!

#91 9 years ago

Sorry your first pin buying experience went bad, my first purchase was from a member on here and went perfect, but I did pick it up in person, hopfully your next purchase goes better than the first. If I sold any of my games I think I would make them pick it up in person.

#92 9 years ago

Sorry to hear your story. Not sure if that would make you feel better, but we have our own share of Choggard-like sellers in France as well.

#93 9 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

I don't know about you guys......but I think this speaks volumes to the character of this Choggard clown as well. He's trying to deflect the negative comments about him, by trying to embarrass the OP.
NexttoPin, feel for you buddy. I too have been stung by games being misrepresented, and it blows to get something home that you are so looking forward to playing/enjoying to only discover you've been fed a crock of shit.
You'll find for the most part, folks on here are very helpful and will guide you down the right path. As I've become accustomed to, lessons learned are vital in this hobby, and unfortunately, not all can be trusted!

Good point BigBoss,

My wife (god rest her soul) was unhappy about any game I bought. Her favorite line was "Where are you going to put that one". Anyways.....SO WHAT??? Just because my wife may or may not be pleased with my purchase dictates weather or not you should screw me?

That has asshat written all over it!!!!!

#94 9 years ago

reminds me of dealing with barry from NJ.
oh man was that game a stinker. took me two years to get it playing right.

#95 9 years ago
Quoted from aveamike:

reminds me of dealing with barry from NJ.

+1.

I'm sorta on the fence about outing behavior/sellers like this. On one-hand a seller should be able to list whatever turd they have for whatever price they want - and buyer beware. On the other hand, the number of bad experiences with sellers like this should be readily documented - if only to help newer buyers in the hobby.

Part of the problem is that the details of the seller (good or bad) may not be readily available from the potential buyers perspective. I almost bought a Fireball from barry. It was almost a side-thought to do a search for his name here - glad I did. I can see where it could be easy to get involved in a sale with someone like barry or choggard - spending time researching the machine (especially if a first) - without doing due diligence research on the seller. Too bad there isn't a seller/buyer rating.

#96 9 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

How did you pay for the game? Paypal? If so start a dispute and get at least a little back. Choggard has a rep around this site... Unfortunately you did not find this information soon enough...

This was my first big Paypal purchase, Choggard recommended that I send the money as a 'gift' to avoid the fee's. When I called Paypal to dispute they said there was nothing they could do for me because 'gift' purchases are not covered under the buyers protection program.

Quoted from Solach:

This is disappointing. Just like Cosmo, I to defended Choggard on his F-14 for sale thread thinking that he was turning over a new leaf. But after reading over and over again how he is not truthful in his ways of doing business leaving people with remorse and bad experience's, I guess some people live without having a shame bone in their body.
Choggard is digging his own grave. For a good pinball machine, condition is king. For a quality person to deal with, reputation is. My condolences to the OP for the bad experience and hoping that the enjoyment of your pin can help forget your misfortunes.

I'd love to know who bought this because I have a feeling I have their F-14 CPU board and they have my BK2K board. I suspect this is why the RANSOM lights were plugged in wrong.

Thank you guys for all the support.

I installed my replacement drawbridge motor last night and it's finally working right (was not a 'switch adjustment' as I was told).

Finally, after over a month and a bunch of BS, I was able to play my game!

If the Mods want to close this thread, please do so. The information is out there now, not sure there is much to add to the conversation. Thanks again for all the support you guys and being so welcoming.

#97 9 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

My thoughts exactly. Why bring his wife in to the conversation?

#98 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

I'd love to know who bought this because I have a feeling I have their F-14 CPU board and they have my BK2K board. I suspect this is why the RANSOM lights were plugged in wrong.

Now this speaks volumes.

#99 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

Choggard recommended that I send the money as a 'gift' to avoid the fee's.

Douchbaggery at its finest!untitled-353.pnguntitled-353.png

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

If the Mods want to close this thread, please do so. The information is out there now, not sure there is much to add to the conversation. Thanks again for all the support you guys and being so welcoming.

I suggest NOt locking this thread because then it will slip away into the ether. Better to keep it fresh so more regulars get to see it and hence can worn others when choggard tries this same crap in the future.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,500 (OBO)
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Peekskill, NY
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 571 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 12.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-story-of-my-first-pin-entitled-how-i-got-choggarded/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.