Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Brijam
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ringmaster01 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1521 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cserold:

Apparently its Friday because I was just sitting here thinking about how stressful/difficult it must be for guys like Gary, Jack and others leading pinball manufacturing companies. With sales trending increasingly towards more home ownership purchases, there is so much emotion involved in the purchasing of a new pinball machine these days.
    It seems like public perception of the "hot" manufacturer can change in the matter of a few hours. I'm sure some will disagree, but it feels like just a few weeks ago the general consensus was that Stern's quick production/release model was losing steam with undeveloped code (GOTG,BM66), unpopular/uninspired art on massive licenses (Star Wars), having nothing to new to put on display at the biggest shows, etc. Felt like JJP was taking a big step towards gaining market share (and possibly control) with the unique and creative features of POTC and the traction it gained at the big shows.
    So, all this is going on and in the background, you have Gary holding his Iron Maiden card and not being able to say a thing and Jack having to know that POTC has some major design challenges that need to be changed. In complete contrast to recent history, Maiden drops to smashing reviews with developed code, sick art and a refreshingly unique layout. Poor Eric is thrown to wolves on POTC "tweaks." All the while both have to be shaking their heads at the popularity of TNA and Spooky running with Scott's design.
    This is NOT a JJP vs. Stern debate. It's simply an observation that this is a pretty unique competitive landscape and that I'm damn glad I'm not the guy running either of these companies....wow. Lot's of respect for them all and fingers crossed that the market is big enough to support all of them for a long time to come.
    In 5 years time, how do you think this all plays out?

similar to how it has the past 5 years but with more people. Pinball is still growing and in many sectors/ new areas.
    The fact that people are even talking, debating, arguing on multiple forums shows the continueed growth, hype, excitement around it.

I think the online communities are us uber nerd hyper users and we are just excited for the next new thing constantly. Reality in the real world is that things are much more level and tempered...

Iron Maiden is nothing special. It is a new fun game and delivery is happening. The excitement is fueled (sadly) since the previous bar was set so low with Stern that we all expected crap code and only 2 flippers on a game. Nice to see Stern has made it back to what many consider the baseline of acceptable.

JJP POTC has obviously gone well beyond excitement phase do to the delay to production and changes from beta for many of us uber nerds, but most of the real world does not even know it exists yet.

We are a community of passion and hype that are constantly looking for our next fix and the cycle time of those things continues to shrink. Hell, a Baywatch that is horribly over priced is trending news on pinside because we are bored this week with no real new news to feed off or debate

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cserold:

You may just consider an occasional "in my opinion, " or "for me, " every now and again.

should be assumed in any online forum IMO...

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Lots of it is just bogus drama.

speaking of bogus drama....

can you please prove this?

Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Stern pumps out probably 20x the volume of Spooky and 5x-10x the volume of JJP

Everything I can see is more like Stern is making 3-5x of JJP currently and that number shrinking...

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from dts:

I think you mean it IS something special... More than that. I had a non pinhead friend over last night and he couldn't get enough of IMDN. My other machines are pretty amazing too, so this is something more than special.

nah, I think it is the current flavor of the month and combined with how low our expectations have been for Stern it is a huge step up to what should be considered the baseline. I think it is a good game and fun, but also think the hype and fluff beasts are string just because it is finally a return to baseline.

Already see lots for sale and changing hands which tells me it is good, not great.

On route the numbers also show it as good, not great.

Time will tell, but appears to be hot for now.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

if we could determine who the ringmaster is we could eliminate most of it.

which of your dup accounts did you mean to post this from?

#44 5 years ago

Quoted from greenhornet:if someone in the 'peanut gallery' still believes the posts of greenhornet should/could be originating from somewhere else, im sure the pinside staff would appreciate you having the goods. you will be wasting their time though, as they already looked into this matter months ago.

so you just condescendingly always talk about your self in the 3rd person? while defending yourself and doing so in a way that always reads like you forgot to log back in to your alt account to do so... OK

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-stiff-winds-of-momentum-change-in-pinball-manufacturing?tu=Whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.