Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DaanNL
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

So, Jack Danger opened the lid for some new tech stuff that Stern has in the pipeline that should "make something that has always been a problem, much easier".

Time to speculate.

Is it the all-electronic tilt mech coming to life after all?

#2 4 years ago

Auto-level.

#3 4 years ago

Finally gonna cure coin jams?

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Finally gonna cure coin jams?

Easy. Go one coin-slot with electronic validator - Euro style. No jams.

#5 4 years ago

If Stern makes them standard.....

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Auto-level.

Automatic leg length systems - waaay to expensive.

However, electronic bubble-level with assistance on display/sound - definetly an option.

#7 4 years ago

WiFi with downloadable code updates.

#8 4 years ago

Whatever it is... Spike 3 incoming....

#9 4 years ago

Does the ability to hold the left flipper button and the start button to go back to attract mode count? As I saw they added that in the new GOT code.

#10 4 years ago

It must be something "cheaper" to make or the won't benefid from it.

#11 4 years ago

They've been working on a connectivity system to bring pinball machines online. release planned for later this year.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

Does the ability to hold the left flipper button and the start button to go back to attract mode count? As I saw they added that in the new GOT code.

I notised this too. Massively awesome concept. As long as it will not trigger accidentially or for cheat in competition.

Quoted from pinballwil:

It must be something "cheaper" to make or the won't benefid from it.

Oh, definetly. I bet electronic tilt will be. Could be as little as one extra IC on the cabinet node board.

#13 4 years ago

Stern node boards. Boo.

Stern leg protectors. Yay.

Let’s see what’s next.

#14 4 years ago

Electronic tilt actually sounds useful. If it was calibrated to the pf it could be used for leveling as well as tilt.

#15 4 years ago

Misleading thread title.

#16 4 years ago

Wifi module for game code updates, firstly, and certainly others features in future system versions.

#17 4 years ago

He made the comment right after he accidentally made a 4-player start when he was trying to start a one-player game. Maybe it is a way to go back to a one player game and if you are in the field, get credit for it if you already deposited money.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Electronic tilt actually sounds useful. If it was calibrated to the pf it could be used for leveling as well as tilt.

It’d be a step towards online tournaments.

#19 4 years ago

Moving on/off switch back to where it belongs.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Moving on/off switch back to where it belongs.

#21 4 years ago

For those of you who didn't hear the comment.... he said it was something in the code that could be fixed. It isn't mechanical.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from jcg9998:

For those of you who didn't hear the comment.... he said it was something in the code that could be fixed. It isn't mechanical.

Then, perhaps the generalisation of this feature included in the latest GOT Game Code 1.36 :

Added Service Menu selection UTIL->ENDGAME. This selection is only available when there is an active game. When selected the operator will be prompted to confirm that they wish to end the current game. Once confirmed and upon exiting the Service Menu, the game will be in attract mode.

#23 4 years ago

If you go to the livestream and then go to the 14 minute and 30 second mark, he talks about it. I think this is the address...

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/454547571

He basically says that Stern is working on something that can be fixed by the code and it is a problem that nobody ever thought of as a problem.

He made the comments after rebooting the game because he accidentally started a 4 player game. That's why I'm guessing that it might be a way to recover a credit if you accidentally hit the start button twice.

#25 4 years ago

Wow, great article, thanks for sharing.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Wow, great article, thanks for sharing.

It's a very impressive system, Stern has been working hard on it for a long time. It's being tested on location/at home.
    They've added some very important people to the staff during the last few years, world class players, operators, promoters, tournament organizers, and Brian f-in Eddy. I'm excited for the company and their future.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

So, Jack Danger opened the lid for some new tech stuff that Stern has in the pipeline that should "make something that has always been a problem, much easier".
    Time to speculate.
    Is it the all-electronic tilt mech coming to life after all?

Plug in play direct audio and video capture.

#28 4 years ago

Connected machine enabling software updates, operator reports, tech alerts for sure. Maybe a way to add credits with an app. Kinda of like a built in PayRange?

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Plug in play direct audio and video capture.

I can see this install in all future pinball machines

#30 4 years ago

Been asking for wifi forever, pinside experts tell me it’s too expensive even though my kids toys have it.....

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Been asking for wifi forever, pinside experts tell me it’s too expensive even though my kids toys have it.....

I don't recall seeing people saying it's too expensive -- but it does add extra security concerns, just like your kids' toys.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

I don't recall seeing people saying it's too expensive

This was one of the pinexperts assessments a while back in response to my bitching about wifi...along with claims of hacking vulnerability and all sorts of nonsense.

“The hardware cost of implementing WiFi with Spike is <$20/machine.
    The costs associated with developing the relevant software are a lot higher.
    Bottom line is, this sort of move would cost something on the order of $250k. Stern would not make this up in increased sales. They'd probably want to charge license fees. They probably still wouldn't make it up.”

#33 4 years ago

wifi so you can download updates.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

This was one of the pinexperts assessments a while back in response to my bitching about wifi...along with claims of hacking vulnerability and all sorts of nonsense.
    “The hardware cost of implementing WiFi with Spike is &lt;$20/machine.
    The costs associated with developing the relevant software are a lot higher.
    Bottom line is, this sort of move would cost something on the order of $250k. Stern would not make this up in increased sales. They'd probably want to charge license fees. They probably still wouldn't make it up.”

The problem is when you have 90% of the market there is little to no incentive to invest in something like this. Which is why they took so long to add a colour LCD. But the fact is they are doing it. Maybe they’re worried about future competition and are investing to retain the market lead. Maybe they think it will somehow lead to more sales.

Personally I think it could be a game changer for pinball if used to it’s full potential. I think it’s non-negotiable if they want to see pinball survive beyond the current generation. That’s likely the reason they’re investing in it now.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

wifi so you can download updates.

Stern wants games on WiFi so they can pull data from locations.

#36 4 years ago

As an operator I’d appreciate being able to log in to a stern portal per say and monitor all games for real time earnings and change pricing on the fly for happy hours promotions etc. If a machine has an issue on location it would be nice to be able to dispatch a technician to that particular machine. For now I have to monitor pinball location apps for feedback which works for now but real time text alerts would be great!

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

It could be used for much more. You could have tilt sensitivity adjusted by mode so some you HAVE to shake the machine and other modes you have to not move it at all. The tilt adjustability on the fly could become part of the game itself.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jkush18:

As an operator I’d appreciate being able to log in to a stern portal per say and monitor all games for real time earnings and change pricing on the fly for happy hours promotions etc. If a machine has an issue on location it would be nice to be able to dispatch a technician to that particular machine. For now I have to monitor pinball location apps for feedback which works for now but real time text alerts would be great!

Take a look at Nayax.com. These units register the coins and contactless payments with debit and creditcards. We have them on a few pinball machines. When you see no transactions you know there is a problem. With an app and internetpage you can see all machines and their status, like power on. Also you can program alerts like x period no cash sales, x period no contactless payments, x period power off. Also no coin problems and every week youre money with an report. The only thing, it costs money. In our unit it has 4 options on the screen for 4 euro 5 games or 1 euro per play.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-stern-tech-innovation-announced and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.