(Topic ID: 173227)

The spring washer: How many of you actually reinstall this?

By chad

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by phillyfan64
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC01007 (resized).JPG

#1 3 years ago

I personally seem to just toss these little flexible washers aside whenever I encounter them. You know the ones from the flipper coils used in Gottlieb, Data East through Stern etc... Never had any issues without them. Are they more or less used for eliminating the play between coil and the brackets?
    How many of you reuse them??

DSC01007 (resized).JPG

#2 3 years ago

If there, I put them back in.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

If there, I put them back in.
    LTG : )

Same with me

#4 3 years ago

I always replace them. They actually are important and help keep things from prematurely getting loose.

My understanding from the physics of them is that they help put lateral tension which will help to keep things tight and decrease the chance of the screws getting loose.

#5 3 years ago

I put them back in. They help to reduce or eliminate the buzzing sound from the AC voltage flowing through the coils

#6 3 years ago

That's what those are! Have seen them lying around in the cabinet of machines I've picked up...

"What's with this flimsy warped washer..." ha...

#7 3 years ago

yes what they said

#8 3 years ago

You would think that the force of the plunger would loosen it up over time regardless of the washer installed or not. Williams/Bally never had them in late model games and i never really noticed any difference in parts loose whether Gottlieb or Data East. Also a lot of times they are cracked and I was lazy in wanting to order them. I will try and replace them and see if any different. Thanks!

#9 3 years ago

I think the mechanical designers included them for a reason. Possibly to remove slack, reduce buzzing, and/or act as little shock dampers. I put them in if the game came that way originally.

#10 3 years ago

It reduces buzzing, that is all. WPC and Sys11 games (and others) never needed them because they don't duty-cycle their flippers and the flippers run off DC voltage. Older games with AC voltage and newer games that duty-cycle the coil (instead of using two windings for hold circuit) use them to put pressure on the coil to reduce buzzing.

#11 3 years ago

I put a new one in every flipper assembly I rebuild.

rd

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

It reduces buzzing, that is all. WPC and Sys11 games (and others) never needed them because they don't duty-cycle their flippers and the flippers run off DC voltage. Older games with AC voltage and newer games that duty-cycle the coil (instead of using two windings for hold circuit) use them to put pressure on the coil to reduce buzzing.

Makes sense , Thank you.

#13 3 years ago

They act as a shock absorber and keep flipper coils snug.

#14 3 years ago

I always put them back. Keeps the coil from flopping around and having the wires break off all the time.

#15 3 years ago

Those are also used in score reels I do believe

#16 3 years ago

Some brackets won't adjust snugly to both ends of the bobbin. This allows the coil to move a tiny bit on the vertical plane of the plunger. This movement robs power as the magnetic field is now moving the whole coil in addition to the plunger and everything connected to it. Even a tiny bit of slop robs power from the assembly.

Also, wallowed-out holes and posts in the link/crank assembly is just as bad or worse for robbing power.

1 year later
    #17 1 year ago

I know this is an old thread but are spring washers also used on slingshots? I’m just wondering if it would tighten up the slings on my Mata Hari.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from phillyfan64:

I know this is an old thread but are spring washers also used on slingshots? I’m just wondering if it would tighten up the slings on my Mata Hari.

The coil moving won't effect the sling linkage. More than likely you have slop in the linkage and arm joint.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

More than likely you have slop in the linkage and arm joint.

This exactly. The slings dont use a spring washer.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

The coil moving won't effect the sling linkage. More than likely you have slop in the linkage and arm joint.

Quoted from Mitch:

This exactly. The slings dont use a spring washer.

Thanks guys. I actually have new old stock sling linkages and I’m still not happy with these slings. Amazing that my Eight Ball Deluxe uses linear slings and they are way better than what’s on my Mata Hari. If the ball hits in the center it’s fine. If it hits off center, it’s more of a thud than a fire. I had an old thread about this and I never really resolved it to my satisfaction.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from phillyfan64:

Thanks guys. I actually have new old stock sling linkages and I’m still not happy with these slings. Amazing that my Eight Ball Deluxe uses linear slings and they are way better than what’s on my Mata Hari. If the ball hits in the center it’s fine. If it hits off center, it’s more of a thud than a fire. I had an old thread about this and I never really resolved it to my satisfaction.

Try tighter rubber rings or move some of the slack of the ring to the back side of slingshot.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Try tighter rubber rings or move some of the slack of the ring to the back side of slingshot.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have now noticed that the arm linkages are pretty loose even though they are new. I thought they were new old stock but they may be some kind of repro. Anyway I also have some new Williams kickers that seem much tighter. I never got around to trying them but if the tighter rubber doesn’t work it may be time to try the Williams arms. I may have to modify one screw hole to make the Williams arm fit.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 159.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Star Wars Premium Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 12.00
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 7,500.00
    $ 265.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside