(Topic ID: 109931)

The SprayMax 2K Auto Clear in a Can Club!

By Curbfeeler

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1476 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1477 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1479 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1480 (resized).jpeg
P3280001 (resized).JPG
Pinside_forum_8094523_2 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7738777_3539409 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0282 (resized).jpg
IMG_4646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0115 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0116 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231124_033122528 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230910_203703295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053116598 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053126861 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yellowghost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#319 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

About to start CC my playfield tomorrow.
I was suggested to lay a wet coat (half the can), wait an hour and then lay another wet coat (rest of the can). Do I need sanding before those 2 coats? Or the second coat will blend in?
Why an hour? why not 2h or simply 15-20 minutes?

The application sheet says 10-15 minutes between coats. I would stick to that.

1 year later
#650 5 years ago

Not sure if its a big deal to contain work done with a spraybomb. If you were painting a car in your drive-way with a HVLP, then maybe that would cause a issue. The chemicals you are spraying on your weeds are probably doing more damage to yourself and the people around you.

#653 5 years ago

Has anybody documented what types of paints are compatible with this stuff?

7 months later
#739 5 years ago

A dimple?? Like a fisheye? If so.. contamination of some sort. Did you wetsand the first coat.?

#741 5 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

yes, i did wetsand with 1500 then cleaned with naptha and then a microfiber cloth, but i didnt tack cloth it, which is what i think i may have done wrong. i was planning on wetsanding again with 1500, 2000, 3000, then doing mcguires buff.

Could have been something on the microfibre. When I paint anything I usually do it again ..with a different clean cloth. Thats the crappy thing about oils and silicone..they are invisible.

4 weeks later
#756 4 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Fully understand your viewpoint about a 6 month wait but let’s be honest here. Doing multiple clears like one to lock in original paint wait 6 months, one to lock in colours wait 6 months , final clear wait 6 months. That time line is out to lunch. If the 6 month time is a valid thing it has to be applied to each clear level. All vehicles don’t wait in the body lot for 6 months after professional work but granted they are using other products with different specifications.
I think it’s the spray max and how it cures without high booth temps maintained for 48 hours and or no short wave curing used.
I’m tempted to try short wave curing and see how that looks after a few months.

Autobody shops don't use 2k products as much as you think. They use water based products or one component. Two components cure by a chemical reaction. You can slow it down slightly but you cannot speed it up like with other coatings with heat for example.

3 weeks later
#792 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

That's almost exactly what I did, and came out like glass for sure.
Damn... 2 weeks, eh.. I don't really want to sit around with the game apart for that long but I guess it's for the good of the playfield! I figured that stuff cured much quicker, I mean they don't sit around waiting 2 weeks to repair a car.

The reason you should wait is because the film will shrink as it cures. Not always uniform. If you wetsand it before it has fully cured, that mirror finish will begin to develope a slight orange peel texture. Mind you , the balls will do something simluar to the playfield over time. And yes autobody shops don't wait either. They need the car out so they can bring another in,and I don't think the factory waits either when the car was built.

#853 4 years ago

I wonder if placing the filters in the freezer between coats would extend the shelflife. That usually slows down a chemical reaction.

2 weeks later
#907 4 years ago

Never heard of that before. What does it look like?

#911 4 years ago

If its only in a few spots, I would suggest it to be a fisheye or a place where a speck of silicone or oil landed and the paint wont stick and moves away. If its uniform, maybe the clear needs more time to gass out before coats.

3 months later
#957 4 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

Can you put an opened can of 2k into the refrigerator to extend its life?

Freezer would be best bet. But I would be shocked if lasted more than a few days. Its a chemical reaction occuring inside the can. Even if its still in liquid form, you are applying a material that is partly cured. I would think adhesion might be a issue but try and see. Only one way to find out.

#975 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

So even though I only did a 4” square with this stuff I can see why everyone loves it. Minus the toxic dangers it’s a pretty affordable way for a common joe to clear a playfield and get some really nice results. It’s making me contemplate touching up the playfield in my Shangri La and giving it a go. That would have to be a spring project though. Pretty sure the temps are locked out of range after today.
What happens if you spray this stuff in the 40s and 50s? I’m just wondering the harm of laying down the coats, letting it set for about and hour and then bringing it in doors like I just did today?

Don't bring it inside for months. It is still releasing harmfull gases

8 months later
#1069 3 years ago
Quoted from wayinla:

Unfortunately these are out of stock everywhere that I’ve looked.

Try looking at a paint store ( sherwin williams, ben moore etc)

1 month later
#1100 3 years ago
Quoted from wayinla:

Hi all. Hoping someone can help! Bubbles on inserts! I've read the posts and tried what people have suggested but still have the bubbles issue.
The clear looks good when dripped onto the insert but when it dries there are bubbles. I tried letting the clear sit in its container for a few minutes (even for a day, covered) and still get the same results. I've had to dremel out the clear and start over a couple of times.
One thing that I've noticed is that when I put the (plastic) eye dropper into the clear, the clear start to react by almost fizzing. Same with a wooden stick. So I let the clear sit over night in a little covered container and the next day the liquid was bubble free and didn't react to the wooden stick. So I applied it to the insert and still had bubbles when it dried. Temps were just over 70 degrees F.
Is there some kind of chemical reaction? I can't get naphtha in California so I've using alcohol to wipe down the playfield as I sand. Could that be causing it? Would mineral spirits be better? It also seems that tiny drops don't bubble but larger areas (insert size about 1") seems to have the problem.

Perhaps there is some sort of residue on the eyedropper? I always clean mine with lacquer thinner before I use them.

6 months later
#1163 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Is there a problem doing the painting prior to any clear coat? I’d prefer to do the pf touch ups before starting the clear bc It ill be easier for me logistically. Just want to be sure there are no one has encountered issues proceeding in that order .

I was thinking about the same thing. Will be attempting to re-store one soon. I plan to seal the bare "wood" the same way I seal wood before I stain or paint it. There is only 3 bare spots. Most of the repainting will be done over existing silkscreened art to get rid of ball swirls.
On previous touchups, I brushed some white alcohol-based stain-blocking primer over the bare spots and it worked great.

#1172 3 years ago

Has anybody had problems applying 2k over insert decals? Plan to sand away the remaining artwork up to maybe 800 or 1000 grit. Then apply the decals.

#1174 3 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

I have used it several times over waterslide decals. Just a light dusting to lock it down and let dry. Then hit it a bit heavier. No problems whatsoever.

Hey. Thanks. Its not a waterslide. It almost looks like vinyl. But your're idea was what I was reckoning.

1 week later
#1203 3 years ago
Quoted from koen12344:

I've been following this thread and especially the discussion around the PPE and safety precautions required to safely use the product. I always take a better safe than sorry approach to these kinds of things and would much rather listen to the guy that substantiates why N95 masks will only last 30 minutes when spraying clear, than the one that says "nah don't worry about it, you'll be okay".
It really worries me that this product is sold to unknowing hobbyists without any warnings or with incorrect PPE recommendations by the seller.

This stuff is not something you find in your corner store. I've only seen it auto repair supply stores. They assume the peope know they're doing. Most people use it properly, I hope. As for warnings...imagine if the person at the cash register at the grocery store had to warn you about the risks of eating the garbage they are selling.

1 month later
#1230 2 years ago

Maybe scrubb the mylar down with a scotch-brite. Or spray a adhesion promotor before-hand. If it has a mylar on top, why bother? Thats whats its meant for.

#1232 2 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Interesting. I was seriously thinking of installing the one with the clear vinyl film, then add a playfield protector...but I've read some posts that scare me into using clear. I wouldn't say it's mylar, but it does offer some protection...not mylar tough.

I just think that the clearcoat will eventually flake off on any glossy parts unless its prepped right. If you do, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Maybe test on a corner first.

#1237 2 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Ugh, I see little raised spots or bubbles after waiting 4 days from spraying 2k on my bare playfield. I probably sprayed too close, or had it in the wrong environment. Hope I can wet sand and buff this surface to smooth.
[quoted image]

That will easily be wetsanded away.

#1244 2 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

It's about 4 applications over 2 hours, 30 minutes in between applications (layers or passes could be 20+), or 1 can. I already smoothed it out. Probably too many layers for this step.
I went ahead and wet sanded, followed by naptha, novus 2, and naptha again. Feels super smooth now. I'm still having difficulty polishing these 3 green inserts to a nice shine.
[quoted image]

I am not a expert but 2 hours between coats might be long. Unless you blocksanded.

#1245 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Clearcoat cant really be mirror finished for about 10 weeks, its not hard enough.
Also, 10 weeks from now there will be substantial die back and you "might" clear it again to fill in any insert dents or other imperfections.
The clear will lose 50% of its volume in 10 to 12 weeks.
It gets very thin and very hard.
2 of those inserts dont look right. Maybe poor adhesion, ghosting? Its hard to say.
Were they sanded rough (550 to 600 grit) before clearing?

Wonder why spraymaxx loses that much volume. Is it the material thats in the can to keep it pressurized that is evaporating?

#1249 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

True for all clearcoat I think.

Depends on the material. 2 component urethanes don't form a film by evaporation. I poured some left over omni in a plastic cup a few years ago. It cracked but its still about 90% full.

2 weeks later
1 week later
#1279 2 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

I have a NOS playfield for my Gottlieb Striker that I will clearcoat using Spraymax 2k. I've cleaned the playfield with a magic sponge soaked in naphtha to make sure there aren't any spots that the Spraymax will not stick to. This made the playfield surface quite a bit rougher.
My question: do you guys think I need to sand the playfield before using Spraymax on it? The playfield paint is quite brittle and I'm afraid sanding it will cause damage, especially to the insert lines.
Very curious about your thoughts!

I think its not the "paint" thats brittle but whatever they used to topcoat it. If it has some kind of clearcoat from the factory, sand it with 600 or 800. I would not take any chances. You will thank yourself later if you need to drill out any holes that got filled in with clearcoat.

3 months later
#1359 2 years ago

The clearcoat paint is 90% solvent.
As it dries over time the solvent leaves, the paint shrinks.
1mm of pant coating equals 1 10th of a mm after dry. Often even thinner.
I think the clearcoat is mostly stable at about 16 months.
Automobiles left in the hot sun cure in about 3 months.
Ron Kruzman says to hang his freshly restored playfields on the wall for 3-6 months before assembling and playing.
And he waits weeks before he sends it back to you, as he looks at the die back and makes adjustments.
Brand new playfields that were just made look gorgeous!
Wait 12 weeks and you see insert edges appear and wood grain appearing.
I always have to re-clear new playfields to flatten them out.

Actually closer to 60% solvents to be technical. But still alot shrinkage.

#1364 2 years ago

I used "posca" acrylic marker. Did not react.

1 year later
#1671 1 year ago
Quoted from Chrimeg:

Hmmm....What am I looking for in the die back? The playfield has been fully sanded and buffed smooth and ready for repopulation of components. Has been that way for 3 weeks with no change that I can see. Is there something else I'm looking for before waxing? Boy I hope I don't have to clearcoat again and re-level/buff before waxing. Essentially redo everything I just done over the past few months.
Sort of confused here now as I thought processes sanding flat between coats of clear then doing the final steps on the last coat. I could wait and buff and wax.
Does the clear do something with the level surface after 3/4 weeks that I need to do it over again? I don't want to start populating everything only to have to take it apart and redo.
Thanks for the info though as I was getting ready to prep the surface for parts and glad I didn't until I can find out what look for.

From my experience, the finish will begin to develope a slight orangepeel texture. I blocksanded mine weeks after I noticed this and it stayed rather smooth.

#1677 1 year ago

You don't "have" to do anything but,
The dents at the edges of the inserts are pronounced now.
You will find other areas too.
And they will get worse in a few weeks.
Clear coat loses haff or more if its thickness in 12 to 16 weeks.
Things start showing up. Dents appear where there were none.
It doesnt fill very well.
This is why we keep building up problem areas like insert egdes.
It best to address this now and not regret it in 36 weeks.
I do a final sand and buff at 12 weeks to level out the playfield as best as one can.
A lot of the die back has happened by then and can be sanded out mostly.
However, its a pinball game!
It will get torn up anyways if you play it a lot.
So, in the end, it may not matter at all.

That depends on the product. The spec sheets for the product will reveal the voc by percentage. A super high solid material will lose verry little of its film thickness.

9 months later
#1790 10 months ago

I assume you will be repainting the entire thing. What I did is skim the entire area with bondo and sand it flat with the orbital.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Toppers
Pinheadz

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,280.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vaudreuil-dorion, QC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yellowghost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spraymax-2k-auto-clear-in-a-can-club?tu=yellowghost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.