(Topic ID: 109931)

The SprayMax 2K Auto Clear in a Can Club!

By Curbfeeler

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1476 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1477 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1479 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1480 (resized).jpeg
P3280001 (resized).JPG
Pinside_forum_8094523_2 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7738777_3539409 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0282 (resized).jpg
IMG_4646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0115 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0116 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231124_033122528 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230910_203703295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053116598 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053126861 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayinla.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1014 4 years ago

So the decals go of top of an un-sanded layer of clear coat. Can I then spray another layer of clear over it without sanding or should I sand around the decals and then clear coat?

1 week later
#1035 4 years ago

So what happens if you don’t sand between coats? I know there may be unevenness but will the new coat not bond well?

#1037 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

If I were you I would stop sanding right now, add a few layers of overall clear, THEN start sanding with polish grits to work everything down level where needed.

That's what I was wondering about. I'm about to retheme a pin and am trying work these potential issues out. What a great forum!

2 months later
#1054 3 years ago

So I have a retheme that I’m doing and it’s time to clear coat. I’m probably going to do this for just this one pin. I have the cans of SprayMax but I need the mask/respirator and the bunny suit. Can someone recommend which ones to buy? Like I said, I probably won’t do this again so I’m hoping to not spend too much money.

2 weeks later
#1059 3 years ago

It’s a very tough time and I completely understand the trouble that doctors and first responders are having with the supply and demand for respirators.

I have decided and already purchased a full face swim mask and a tyvek clean suit from Amazon. I will connect a long breathing tube to the mask and the open end will be located outside my spraying tent. The total for the mask and suit is about $40.
I don’t plan on staying in the spraying tent very long. I got the idea from a video showing a doctor who made his own respirator using a full face swim mask. He was able to attach a filter to it using a 3D printed adapter. I hope everyone is safe!

#1061 3 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Breathing through a long tube is difficult. I hope it works for you! I am trying a similar system in the next couple of days. I will post a report

I’d be interested in your report! Keep us posted.

#1066 3 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

To spray clearcoat, you need the following, at least:
[quoted image]
Forget about the COVID masks....these are useless. Tha painter mask can be found at Lowes or Home Depot, for less than $40. Great investment.
Yves

Unfortunately these are out of stock everywhere that I’ve looked.

#1071 3 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I have a status update for anyone thinking of using Spraymax 2K. If you don't have a professional setup, this might work for you.
I purchased the full mask air system linked in post 1055. Its $195 at the moment. I purchased it because although it only had a short 3-foot hose, when I posted the question on amazon they replied and said you could get additional hose extensions.
When it arrived, I was a bit dismayed to find it 100% in chinese. No english instructions, no dual-language, no phone number to call. The filters are in a unique shape and have no recognizable markings on them so I have no idea what they are rated for and I would not trust them at all.
[quoted image][quoted image]
Fortunately it is already assembled and even charged up, all I had to do was screw the tubes together and put it on. Since there was no information on extra tubes, I went to the hardware store and got 20 feet of flexihose. I then duct-taped the hose in the moddle, using plenty of tape to ensure a good seal. The air supply is plenty strong to push air through the long tube and I was ready to use it!
I set up my little paint booth (cheapie from Amazon, essentially a tent with no floor) and ran the hose around the side of the house, where the intake would not get any whiff.[quoted image][quoted image]
Put on my moon suit and popped the can and sprayed 3 light coats with a 15 min dry between.[quoted image]
It worked perfectly, I smelled nothing and I think it was successful

That’s pretty cool. But it looks like the delivery date is in September. Ugh!

4 weeks later
#1084 3 years ago

Hi all. Hoping someone can help! Bubbles on inserts! I've read the posts and tried what people have suggested but still have the bubbles issue.

The clear looks good when dripped onto the insert but when it dries there are bubbles. I tried letting the clear sit in its container for a few minutes (even for a day, covered) and still get the same results. I've had to dremel out the clear and start over a couple of times.

One thing that I've noticed is that when I put the (plastic) eye dropper into the clear, the clear start to react by almost fizzing. Same with a wooden stick. So I let the clear sit over night in a little covered container and the next day the liquid was bubble free and didn't react to the wooden stick. So I applied it to the insert and still had bubbles when it dried. Temps were just over 70 degrees F.

Is there some kind of chemical reaction? I can't get naphtha in California so I've using alcohol to wipe down the playfield as I sand. Could that be causing it? Would mineral spirits be better? It also seems that tiny drops don't bubble but larger areas (insert size about 1") seems to have the problem.

#1088 3 years ago
Quoted from Silverstreak02:

I solved it by buying a cheap can of regular 2 PAC mixing it per the instructions and then applied it with my glass eye dropper. No more bubbles after that. Well worth the extra $40.

Which 2 PAC did you buy and where did you purchase it from? Does it matter which one to use?

#1090 3 years ago

I bought this from Amazon or E-bay I can’t remember which one.
[quoted image]

So this was compatible with the SprayMax?

#1093 3 years ago

Yes I didn’t have any problem with the two playfields I used it on. It was used to fill some badly cupped inserts. I filled them a few times to get them level. Sometimes with coats of Spraymax in between as I sealed in paint colors.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks! Ebay has the Finish 1 and hardener sold by provisionpaintsupply for $41 shipped. Ordering now.

I saw your post about your playfield. That's an amazing job, not just on the clear coat but also on the restoration. Congrats!

#1102 3 years ago
Quoted from Blenderhead:

I am trying to find information on using Spray Max 2k to fill in some worn out areas on my Fish Tales playfield. Plan is to use a dropper to fill in worn out areas by collecting some of the clear into a small container so I can use the dropper to "suck up" some of the clear. Can anyone here lead me to a thread# that goes into more detail about this process?

I’m still new to the clear coat scene but am currently in the middle of my for first playfield clear coat using SprayMax. So these are my thoughts from my limited experience. SprayMax is great if you’re doing an entire playfield but I think it’s overkill for small touch ups. Because of it’s toxicity you would need to wear a bunny suit and ventilator just to spray it into a container. After using the little amount needed for your touch ups you would then waste the rest of the can because once you use it the product has about a 48 hour shelf life. (You can extend that longer if you place it in a refrigerator.)

For something like what you’re doing I would use either regular 2 PAC that you would need to mix or MinWax Polycrylic. The cheapest is the MinWax and it comes in a little can that is ready to use and I hear yields great results. Cleans up easily with water and is much less toxic that the 2 PAC and SprayMax.

1 week later
#1104 3 years ago

Insert bubbles update

I bought off of eBay the Sherwin Williams Finish 1 FC710 (instead of FC720) which is supposed to be spot panel clear coat along with the medium hardener FH612. I used a Dremel to remove the bubbled layer of clear from the inserts. Mixed 4 to 1 ratio using glass eye droppers. So far so good - no bubbles on the inserts. Fingers crossed as I move on with the clear coating process which is another spray coat and sanding inserts level. Then a light coat for the decals and then heavy final coats.

A great thing about using the Finish 1 instead of the SprayMax for spot filling is that you don’t need to suit up spraying the clear into a container.

#1106 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

It is likely just as deadly so i would at least wear a mask.

Yes, I did take that precaution.

#1107 3 years ago

How soon after spraying a light coat of clear can I apply my water slide decals?

6 months later
#1154 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

I was trying to find if there are any issues in getting the bulbs out of the sockets after clearing. Is there a better way to prevent the clear from getting sockets?

I used those foam ear plugs you can buy at CVS or any drug store. I snip them a little short so they don't stick out above the play field when sanding.

3 weeks later
#1215 3 years ago

This is the setup I used for spraying SprayMax2K outdoors. The fan was placed up wind from the spray tent. it supplied ample air flow, enough so that the air pressure would almost push the mask from my face. This allowed me to have fresh air and prevent any spray particles from entering the mask. I found that it worked well.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-phantom-tollbooth-retheme#post-6032837

6 months later
#1472 2 years ago

I’m about to clear and touch up a Volley em playfield. I’ve cleared a newly painted playfield before but haven’t tried “restoring” one. I have a few questions for you knowledgeable folks out there:

1. How light is the first SprayMax lock down coat? Just one quick pass?
2. I am thinking of doing my touch ups after that first lock down coat. Will that coat be smooth enough to paint over or should I do another coat before touch ups?

3 weeks later
#1491 2 years ago

I’m about to clear my Volley playfield and am thinking of spraying a light lockdown coat and then do touch ups.

How soon after spraying the lockdown coat can I start painting? I’ll be using Createx paint by brush because the touch ups are quite minor.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Toppers
Pinheadz

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 1,280.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayinla.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spraymax-2k-auto-clear-in-a-can-club?tu=wayinla and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.