(Topic ID: 109931)

The SprayMax 2K Auto Clear in a Can Club!

By Curbfeeler

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1476 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1477 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1479 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1480 (resized).jpeg
P3280001 (resized).JPG
Pinside_forum_8094523_2 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7738777_3539409 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0282 (resized).jpg
IMG_4646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0115 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0116 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231124_033122528 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230910_203703295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053116598 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053126861 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rossz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

Has anyone used MoTip 600 Degreaser ? Could anyone help me decide if this a good solution for cleaning playfield?
http://www.motip.com/products/motip/automotive/car-repair-lacquers/degreaser/

Yes, I used this since I had the same adhesion problem on my MM pf.

No problem ever since. Contamination can be as simple as finger traces on the playfield, the grease you have on it (natural or from whatever you touched before) can do this mess, ask any car painter.

After the pf is degreased, I only touch it on the sides or from under it, never on the top where there is artwork.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Curbfeeler:

Don't suppose you have a pic handy? would be interested to see what that looks like.

I looked exactly as the F14 pics. It was the first coat(s), before touching up. I asked a pro painter (so it's not Spray2K but a professionnal 2 part clear) so I wasn't really happy with this... He wasn't worried as I told him I'll do my touch ups afterwards and get it back to him for additionnal coat(s) and was confident he would correct it.

I sanded a lot to get it almost flat, did my touch ups, and bring it back to him for the second coat. Everything was almost perfect after the final stage. Luckily the worst was in the bumpers and near the left outlane, so even if now it's not perfect it's good enough for me. Had it happened in the middle of the playfield I would have been pretty pissed...

I only have pics once the pf is back in the game, you can see a few pics here: https://plus.google.com/photos/112327558572915553931/albums/5792146720960652721?authkey=CNrG0Lam0YmbywE

Pay attention to the reflection of the wireform ramp near the catapult, you can see it's "wobbly". Nevertheless it's not visible, and it's 99% flat so the ball movement isn't affected by it. It's reaaaaally subtle to see, no effect on gameplay. And it was like your F14 before... but keep in mind it's a pro guy who did this (the mistake, and then the correction). Needless to say I don't ask this guy anymore, but also I *always* use Motip degreaser before clearcoating. Just pass a soft cloth with the product on it, don't rub (it'll rub your touch-ups).

On a side note I had to replace a few insert decals (the "jackpot" ones, the left "joust victory" and the one under it, and "francois de grimm") and I was pretty happy to get them almost as "foggy" as the factory ones, and not crystal clear like on Stern inserts. I put a few coats of matte varnish on the bare insert before putting the decal, then one coat of varnish on top of it (I was afraid they'll curl like the overlay above with a heavy coat of clear needed to fill the mistakes of the previous coat), and finally did my touch-ups as obviously for the "joust victory" you have to redo the yellow on the outside. You can see a small difference between "françois de grimm" and the other castle inserts, but again it's good enough for me.

TL;DR: Don't worry, it's possible to fix these adhesion problem of clear with elbow grease. Always use degreaser before clearcoat.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

8,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Ramon, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,490.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rossz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spraymax-2k-auto-clear-in-a-can-club?tu=rossz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.