(Topic ID: 109931)

The SprayMax 2K Auto Clear in a Can Club!

By Curbfeeler

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1476 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1477 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1479 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1480 (resized).jpeg
P3280001 (resized).JPG
Pinside_forum_8094523_2 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7738777_3539409 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0282 (resized).jpg
IMG_4646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0115 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0116 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231124_033122528 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230910_203703295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053116598 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053126861 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdrapeau3171.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1479 2 years ago

Hey folks,

This is an awesome thread! I started reading the first few pages, but there are 30 pages in all so far. I have a Cyclone playfield that I want to clear with a couple of cans of Spraymax 2k that I purchased about 2-3 years go. They have never been used.

Does anyone know if there is a step by step set of instructions that someone with experience with this stuff may have put together and is on one of the thread pages?

Thank you.

#1483 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

it only has a 1 year shelf life.

Well, I may be safe. I ordered two cans back on May 21, 2020. I had found one of the cans started leaking about 2 months ago on the bottom so I tossed it. I am going to write to the manufacturer with the code to make sure per what they recommend below...

Here is what I found on the manufacturer's website...guess I'll be sending them the codes to my cans:

How can you tell if the can can still be used?
By the weight of the can and the audible mixing balls in conjunction with the production date that is stated in a code on the base of the can, on the knurled edge of the can or in the can dome. The shelf life of a 1K aerosol can is 5 years, the shelf life of a 2K aerosol can is 3 years. Please send us the product designation and, if possible, the item number and code so we can establish this.

#1485 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

They are in the vids giude for playfield restoration:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration
Dont be lazy, read up on it.

I've reviewed most of Vid's thread on playfield restoration in the past. I went back to it and there are now 154 pages to this thread, which is really great and incredible, but that is a lot of information to read through and to try to digest and get to the meat of what one needs. Hence, the reason I was asking if any one may have put together a more condensed step by step set of instructions that would cover how to prep the playfield prior to using Spraymax 2k, and then how to apply Spraymax 2k clearcoat to the playfield?

Thanks.

#1487 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Last playfield item is done!
[quoted image]

Looks beautiful!

6 months later
#1579 1 year ago

Hi folks,

I just applied my first light spray of Spraymax 2k on my Cyclone playield per what I've read in Vid's restoration guide and a LOT of posts on this thread. I sanded the playfield before with 800 grit to give some tooth for the first layer of clearcoat. After cleaning and leveling the playfield outside, I gave the playfield a light coat of clear about 6-10" away so that I can apply my new water slide decals over the new inserts (which I replaced all of them). Keep in mind I am in FL and it is pretty humid.

My issue now is I see orange peel across the whole playfield (see pictures). I also have some droplets here and there. Did I apply too much clear or not enough? Do I wet sand the entire playfield now with 800-1000 grit prior to applying the water slide decals?

Thank you very much for your help.
20220527_112543 (resized).jpg20220527_112543 (resized).jpg20220527_112547 (resized).jpg20220527_112547 (resized).jpg20220527_112602 (resized).jpg20220527_112602 (resized).jpg

20220527_115300 (resized).jpg20220527_115300 (resized).jpg

#1582 1 year ago

Thank you guys for the responses. I posted on Vid's restoration page and he helped me out. Take a look here at what I posted and his responses. He was a great help...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/160#post-6949189

#1583 1 year ago

Guys,

My decals are installed. (btw there were not water slide, they were regular stick on decals...urghh). Since I clear coated my playfield this morning, how long do I have to apply the next clear coat over the decals without having adhesion issues between coats?

Reason I ask it is about 90 degrees here and humid. Can I afford to wait till early tomorrow morning?

Thank you.

#1584 1 year ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I ran into a lot of the same issues here in Florida. It sets up too quickly here to flow out as nicely as it does in cooler drier climates. Here is my last 2K resto documented here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-florida-were-a-pinball-machine-aka-my-first-gottlieb#post-6486655

Hey Bigguybbr,

I looked at your thread...nice job on that machine. Am I wrong, you used an orbital sander on your clear coated playfield? If so, where did you get the 10,000grit sand paper for that?

#1586 1 year ago

No, on his thread he actually shows that he sanded his playfield with varying grits, like 2000, then 3000, 4000 etc. all the way up to 10,000

#1591 1 year ago

Wouldn't a random orbital work just as well?

#1593 1 year ago

Even though I was outside, I wore the whole bunny suit when I clear coated my playfield along with a 3M respirator, nitrile cloves, face shield, etc. Clear is nasty so I was not going to take any chances.

The Meguiars dual action attachment looks nice but not cheap (over $55).

After the clearcoat is hardened, any one have a good process to polish the playfield and what kind of bonnets etc to use?

#1598 1 year ago

So at sunrise, about 6:15am, I took a 2" x 4", shot some clear on it. After 20 mins flash I placed a decal on it. After about 20 mins, I gave a mist of clear coat over decal #1. I waited 20 mins to flash, then gave another coat on decal #1 so it would be glossy per Vid's advice. After about 20-30 mins, I thought I saw a small section of the black ink on the edge of the decal start to ripple, so I decided to be safe and to test against two more decals.

I added decal #2 and #3. Gave them all a mist coat waited 20 mins to flash. Gave them all a 2nd mist coat and waited 20 mins to flash. I then gave them all a 3rd coat so the decals are glossy. After another 20 mins flash, decal #2 and #3 bubbled (see picture). I am at a lose as to why decal #1 is ok, and #2 and #3 bubbled. I am very worried that this will happen when I do my playfield.

Any ideas? I am in FL and maybe the rise in humidity between 6:15am and 8:30am is what caused this? It was pretty humid when I started though.

Thank you for your help.
bubbling (resized).pngbubbling (resized).png

#1602 1 year ago

Yendor and Bigguybbr...thanks for the advise.

Regarding my rippled decals, the outgassing under the decals, that makes sense.

On my playfield I waited at least a day after clear coating the playfield before I put on the decals. The decals I have are not water slide (which is what I thought I was getting when I bought them). They are pretty much like stickers. Here is where I bought them:

ebay.com link: itm

The decals/stickers have been on the playfield for a week now, so I presume there should not be any outgassing issues. Do you think if I put mist layer of clear coat over the whole playfield to seal the decals, wait 20 mins for flashing, and then put on another thicker layer so it is glossy I should be ok, or should I put on a mist layer, wait several days, then put on a thicker layer?

I looked for a long time yesterday and I can't find waterslide decals for Cyclone. Anyone know where they can be found?

#1605 1 year ago

I don't have a lot of experience with this as I am working on clear coating my first playfield with Spraymax 2k. But I would think it would depend upon the current condition of your playfield. Post some pics of your playfield so we can see what kind of condition it is in - others with more experience than myself will give you some feedback.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Trade
$ 279.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
$ 18.95
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdrapeau3171.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spraymax-2k-auto-clear-in-a-can-club?tu=rdrapeau3171 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.