(Topic ID: 109931)

The SprayMax 2K Auto Clear in a Can Club!

By Curbfeeler

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1476 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1477 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1479 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1480 (resized).jpeg
P3280001 (resized).JPG
Pinside_forum_8094523_2 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7738777_3539409 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0282 (resized).jpg
IMG_4646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0115 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0116 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231124_033122528 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230910_203703295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053116598 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053126861 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballbillinfl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#636 5 years ago

Speaking of tenting.. I have no equipment and no expertise in spraying, so I have been planning to shop out the clearcoating of my playfield. However, I'm not having much luck in finding a person willing to do this, and have some fear about getting it done correctly. (I've read Vid's topic many times). So as a backup I'm thinking of the Spraymax route. This is basically a one time effort, but I will invest in the correct PPE - bunny suit, respirator, etc. Since I live on a small lot in the city, and there's always dust and pollen in the air I will need some sort of spray booth/tent, and I was wondering - what's the smallest size anybody has built for such a task? With filters, etc. how toxic is the outflow from the booth? My neighbors are fairly close, and I don't think it's good form to poison them! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

#638 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

This guy makes a cheap one, similar to what I am going to do:

Thanks! That's what I was looking for, and something like what I was thinking. Looks like his back yard is much like mine.

9 months later
#838 4 years ago

All this talk has me concerned about how these vapors disperse into the atmosphere. IF I go this route (trying to find somebody to do the clear for me), I would certainly suit up with the appropriate PPE, but I live on a small city lot, so I would be shooting either in the open, or improvising a booth to keep debris out and minimize overspray. Given that, I don't want to poison the neighbors! Anybody have any thoughts or experience?

1 week later
#889 4 years ago

I'm all in on PPE since it looks like I'm going to have to spray this stuff myself. I'm thinking one of those fairly inexpensive popup canopies and plastic sheeting to enclose the sides, along with some filters and a box fan to make a temporary spray booth. I get the idea of the OV+N95 standard for the respirator, but when I looked at bunny suits, I notice that everything I looked at said 'breathable'. WTF? I think I'd be better off sweating than having that stuff be able to penetrate the suit, or am I being too paranoid? I thought Tyvek was pretty impervious to vapors.

#891 4 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

I think we're all likely being overly paranoid. The standards we are talking about are for people who do this kind of thing day in and day out; have constant exposure. A tyvek suit will be fine for the 10 - 15 seconds at a time you'll be spraying

Yeah, kinda thought so, but I defer to the experts. And the cost of filters is not going to be that great; it will be some time between the lockdown coat and the final coats, so no point in even thinking of trying to preserve the filters for later use.

2 years later
#1496 2 years ago

While looking for this tool, I came across this DIY version you can make from some 3" plastic pipe and a test plug:

https://m.roadkillcustoms.com/diy-drill-powered-spray-paint-can-shaker/

While the shank (actually the bolt from the test plug) is centered, it seems to do a good job; perhaps due to not being able to exactly center the can in the pipe. (he uses an old piece of T-shirt to hold the can somewhat in place)

#1498 2 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

That one looks pretty straight forward. I actually couldn't find the one Adam used on Amazon (and his did break while filming). Say this one for $12 which I will try out. Obviously it is not a complicated piece of technology.
amazon.com link »

Nice find, and NO assembly required! LOL Good price too, unless you happen to have the parts lying around. Think I'll try one too!

2 years later
#1907 18 days ago
Quoted from Arcane:

This is what I have been using:
[quoted image]
You will need to purchase the eyedroppers as two are necessary to take some liquid from each can. Using the liquid approach allows you to work without hazmat suit and masks and take your time to fill up the inserts. I have used these products and techniques on three playfields with complete success. This liquid clearcoat is fully compatible with SM2K.
Ratio is 4 to 1 eyedrops. You can use a third eyedropper for spreading the mixture on top of your inserts or any low spot of your playfield. Of course, never re-use the eyedroppers or mix them with the wrong container, as it will destroy the contents of the cans.
Yves

A bit late for this discussion, but looking for thoughts here. Is it better to spray first, then dropper fill the inserts with this product, or try to fill them first, then spray? Consensus seems to be that trying to spray into a jar and then use a dropper from that is a non-starter due to bubbles forming in the spray.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 64.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinheadz

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballbillinfl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spraymax-2k-auto-clear-in-a-can-club?tu=pinballbillinfl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.