(Topic ID: 109931)

The SprayMax 2K Auto Clear in a Can Club!

By Curbfeeler

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1476 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1477 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1479 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1480 (resized).jpeg
P3280001 (resized).JPG
Pinside_forum_8094523_2 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7738777_3539409 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0282 (resized).jpg
IMG_4646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0115 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0116 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231124_033122528 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230910_203703295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053116598 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053126861 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pablito350.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#978 4 years ago

Today was the first time I used this stuff, and I really like it. I have a HVLP setup for when I'm painting cars, but for something as small as a playfield I wanted to try something more convenient. I have to say... I'm really impressed with this!

I wanted to seal in all of the work I've done on a playfield out of a Grand Prix. After all of my touch-ups with acrylic paint, and the releveling of inserts. I picked up 2 cans off Amazon for $45ish.

With one can I was able to lay down 3 coats with the first being a really light one, and a recoat after a 15 minute flash time.

IMG_20191013_135526545_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20191013_135526545_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20191013_192753339 (resized).jpgIMG_20191013_192753339 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191013_193120390 (resized).jpgIMG_20191013_193120390 (resized).jpg

These aerosols are awesome. Soooo much easier (no measuring, mixing, and cleaning).

I'm definitely going to get more.

-Paul

3 months later
#982 4 years ago
Quoted from Silverstreak02:

I finished my Jacks Open today. Spraymax works great.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That came out really nice!

I just love the convenience of using the cans. They're perfect for this size of a project.

-no mixing cups, stirrers, filters, gun stands... etc
-no getting your gun set up
-no cleaning your gun afterwards
-no hoses to trip over, or water traps to empty
-only the empty cans to throw out, and you're done with cleanup!

The quality of the clear IMHO is perfect for a pinball playfield, and the spray pattern out of the can is perfectly acceptable. You can still see how it's laying down, and adjust accordingly. For the casual/hobbyist restorer the the cost per ounce of the clear while higher than buying and mixing the 2 parts separately is gained back with the ease of use and convenience.
IMG_20191110_202015590 (resized).jpgIMG_20191110_202015590 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191110_202007489 (resized).jpgIMG_20191110_202007489 (resized).jpg

If someone is already "in the rhythm" with using an HVLP setup then these cans don't make much sense.

-Paul

3 weeks later
#986 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Someone chime in on this but here’s my plan:
Playfield is touched up and inserts glued back in.
Going to spray a light lock coat pretty much slight overlap single pass then wait 15 minute.
Do a second light coat with slight over pass in a perpendicular direction. Wait 15 minutes.
Then lay down a hammer coat and basically just empty the can.
Wait a week. Sand playfield with 500 grit. Not to level just give tooth for next can.
Repeat process again 2 days after sanding.
Sand to level, then apply water slide decals and repeat the process to cover the decals.
Sand, cut, polish, buff, wax and so on

Sounds good!

I only got a 1st light coat, and a heavier 2nd coat with one can. (maybe a little more after the 2nd coat) I overlapped each pass with the nozzle by 1/2 of the previous pass. All passes were done length wise.

You'll really see any imperfections after these 2 coats. Mostly around each insert. Do DOT try to fill these gaps in with the can! It is way too thin, and will pool around the inserts making it worse. If you do have to fill in any inserts I recommend getting a quart of clear and pint of hardener, and filling them in with an eyedropper.

At this point is where I'd lay down any decals of any more touch-ups.

I let mine sit for a day before I sanded to flatness. Then followed by an additional 2 coats to completion.

It's funny this topic came up because I just ordered another 4 cans about 5 minutes ago to lay some clear on a Cyclone playfield I just got.

-Paul

#988 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

What are you using in the eye dropper?

I'm using a clear with a hardener in the eyedroppers. It is not the clear out of the SprayMax can, because it is too thin.

#990 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Yeah I meant product name and details

Oh..

https://www.amazon.com/Restoration-Shop-Gloss-Urethane-Hardener/dp/B00BLBR9KQ/ref=pd_ys_c_rfy_rp_m_289_1

Here's a pic of some inserts filled in with this clear after I laid down the 1st 2 coats to lock down the art, and touch-ups.

IMG_20191023_134004876_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20191023_134004876_HDR (resized).jpg

I let this sit 24 hours before I sanded it flat again, and laid down the last 2 coats of clear.

-Paul

#995 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I have had good luck spraying the Spraymax into a small cup and then using an eyedropper. Filled some pretty big divots in my Hearts and Spades that way.

I tried that too, and it did work filling in cupped inserts and divots.

Quoted from PinballAir:

It also will fill the seams around inserts but IMO, the delivery is not very controlled so there is additional sanding.
YMMV

The seams around the inserts is where I had trouble with the can. I'd "lay a bead" of clear along the seam using an eyedropper, and it appeared to look OK. When I came back 15 minutes later it wicked down past the insert onto the floor beneath the playfield leaving behind high spots on each side. It was a mess! It happened on mostly larger inserts where the epoxy holding them in didn't quite cover the entire circumference of the insert. It wicked down, and found a space.

When I mixed my own clear it filled them in no problem.

I'm still learning as I go.

-Paul

1 month later
#1013 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

After some deeeeeeeep digging on this site I found a convo between someone else and vid. The problem was on my test piece that I cleared, I sanded the clear with 600 to rough it up for the next layer of clear. (Which is gospel according to anyone that does clear coating) but apparently you don’t want to sand the area the waterslide goes on so the decal can adhere best. Or polish the area for the waterslide and leave the rest sanded for the next coat.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cloudy-insert-after-water-slide-decal#post-4819402

This makes sense. The area under the decal was sanded with 600 grit. The decal now prevents the new layer of clear from filling in that 600 grit scratches. It actually amplifies the 600 grit scratches giving a cloudy appearance under that decal.

This is great information for any future work!

-Paul

4 weeks later
#1052 3 years ago

That Ultimate compound is ok I guess, but you should still follow it up with your polish. It'll polish out the fine scratches left by the compound.

I use Meguire's 105 followed by Meguire's 205 with a DA for a mirror finish.

-Paul

4 months later
#1121 3 years ago

Spinning a sharp countersink bit with my fingers worked really well for me.

1 year later
#1433 2 years ago

8 coats from one can? How big is that can?

I only get 2 - 3 coats with me laying down a very light 1st coat.

From the pic you posted it looks like you took it right after you laid down your last coat, and it still has to flow out because you can see the texture to it.

It can also be that the coats were too light with not enough to flow out on each coat. It'd also explain how you got 8 coats.

-Paul

#1435 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

very light mist coats for the first pass. Its a good technique to avoid fisheyes and other horrible problems.
The next coats can be much heavier flow-out and filler coats.

That's exactly how I spray mine, and why I asked how he got 8 coats out of one can.

-Paul

#1437 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

400mls - Same as Spraymax I presume.
I always spray everything very light. Force of habit. Easier to spray more layers rather than sand off big runs.
The can has a great fan of spray - I would say 6” wide at the recommended 10” distance.
Those coats are literally - one run down, move can down, one run back, move can down, one run down .. etc. About 6 runs does the whole PF.
I really didn’t want the painted key lines and touchups to run. They’re safely locked there now.
I’ll do as suggested and give her a good sand down and hit it with the next can, using heavier coats.
rd

That makes sense how you got 8 coats out of a can. I think you'd be happier with laying coats down much thicker. You can watch how the spray flows out with your previous pass, and it'll flatten out nicely with very little sanding needed. Being that your playfield is laying flat you won't get any runs in it. It'll level itself out.

#1438 2 years ago

These pics won't be pretty, but here's what it looks like laying on a light 1st coat, and ending up with the 3rd coat. Which for me was about 1 can.

mist coat-
326 (resized).jpg326 (resized).jpg

2nd coat (heavy)-
333 (resized).jpg333 (resized).jpg

3rd coat about an hour after spraying (leveled out)-
347 (resized).jpg347 (resized).jpg

It was after this that I sanded flat, filled in the inserts, sanded flat again, and laid down an additional 2 coats.

-Paul

#1439 2 years ago

I wish I'd taken more pics of the process on this one, but I had a bad case of 'getdoneitis' so here's one pic that shows the finished result.

387 (resized).jpg387 (resized).jpg

#1448 2 years ago

That came out great!

#1459 2 years ago

The number of coats mean nothing.

Remember a lot of clear is sanded off while leveling everything.

It's done when it's flat (if you want it to be), and it'll take as many coats as needed to achieve that.

2 mls thick, 10 mls thick, 30 mls thick?.... whatever it takes to get it where you want it.

-Paul

1 year later
#1802 9 months ago

Not pinball, but I love the ease of use with these cans for small jobs!
IMG_20230713_135135642 (resized).jpgIMG_20230713_135135642 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230720_173358783 (resized).jpgIMG_20230720_173358783 (resized).jpg

8 months later
#1890 24 days ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Another playfield done with SprayMax
[quoted image][quoted image]

That was fun to watch your progression on that. You did an amazing job!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Thetford Mines, QC
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pablito350.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spraymax-2k-auto-clear-in-a-can-club?tu=pablito350 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.