(Topic ID: 109931)

The SprayMax 2K Auto Clear in a Can Club!

By Curbfeeler

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1476 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1477 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1479 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1480 (resized).jpeg
P3280001 (resized).JPG
Pinside_forum_8094523_2 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7738777_3539409 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0282 (resized).jpg
IMG_4646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0115 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0116 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231124_033122528 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230910_203703295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053116598 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053126861 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider northerndude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#542 6 years ago

Good day, i'm getting ready to pull the trigger on some SprayMax cans, I have found them on amazon for about $30 bucks shipped in CDN funds, which I think is pretty dang good.

I'm doing a Fish Tales playfield that is in decent shape, new decals added and it's basically ready for a final cleaning and a clear coat. I want to give the SprayMax a shot.

1. How much will I need to do a few coats on this?
2. How long after I spray can I spray again for another coat?
3. How long after I spray can I sand?
4. Then how long do I cure after I sand to do a second round of clear and a final sand / polish?

Sorry if this is shitloads of questions OR if they aren't real questions as its all relative somehow to other factors and there isn't a "real answer" to them.

Thx so much in advance !!

#544 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Is freezing during shipping a concern? If so wait until temps warm up to order...

Well, regardless of the time of year I buy it, the temperature at 36,000 ft if its on a plane will be freezing as it is anyway. We don't have delivery here, it'll be sitting in the post office waiting for me.

#546 6 years ago

Awesome info, thanks. Basically great "rough estimates" info I was looking for.

#555 6 years ago
Quoted from Toeckeder:

Awesome product.
3 cans:
Can #1
Intensive cleaning with Naphta
2 thick coats, 20 minutes or so in between
Drying 36 hours
Dry sanding 400 grid with a good sanding block
Can #2
Naphta again
Drying 36 hours
Dry sanding 800 grid with a good sanding block
Can #3
Naphta
Drying 48 hours
Wet sand 1000-1500-2000 with a good sanding block
Compound Presta "Ultra cutting crème" with proper pad (3 inch pad on a drill)
Presta "Ultra polish" with proper pad (different) 3inch pad on drill
Wax

Something like this for polishing?

https://www.amazon.ca/Jack-Store-Polishing-Buffing-Compound-Polisher/dp/B071LHHCWK/ref=sr_1_27

#558 6 years ago

HOLY shit is that Ultra cutting creme and Polish costs a fortune!

Is there a comparable product that isn't $150 for a bottle?

*Edit - never mind, some reason, frickin' ridiculous costs on amazon .ca and normal on .com

*Edit again - none of the .com shippers will send to Canada, hence the unreal high price on the .ca amazon site.

#561 6 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

You can get this from Napa in Canada (and you can get SprayMax 2K there as well).
I also got this polisher: https://www.eshine.ca/collections/porter-cable-7424xp-canada/products/1-porter-cable-7424xp-swirl-buster-kit-5-5-ccs-pads

Nipawin, SK's Napa has shit inventory and everything is "we can order it in, be here next week or so". IMO, that's the same as Amazon

4 weeks later
#590 6 years ago

Eyedropper from the dollar store would work also?

#592 6 years ago

10-15 mins between coats for that?

4 months later
#662 5 years ago

Hey folks, question on prepping PF. I have read and see that using naphtha and a tack cloth is the answer for the prep. But, what I havent ever read, even on Vid's guide I don't think is - Do i wipe it all down with just a microfibre dampened/soaked with naphtha? or scrub it or what? Then tack cloth it then clear? is there a best waiting time between wiping down and clear?

#664 5 years ago

Now i'll have to decide on method. I've read, light coat, light sand, then heavier coat, then heavier coat, i've read, heavy assed huge coat, sand, polish, done. I need to make a decision.

#671 5 years ago

How long to keep the heat up in the "spray booth area" it'll be in my garage and i'm in Saskatchewan, which means cooling off already and the evenings are cool, don't mind putting heater in garage at all, probably cures better/faster with warmer temps?

My plan will be to toss a regular fan on the outside of my "out" filter blowing out the garage window during the process.

Thx for tips so far guys!

#678 5 years ago
Quoted from Toeckeder:

Awesome product.
3 cans:
Can #1
Intensive cleaning with Naphta
Drying 36 hours
Dry sanding 400 grid with a good sanding block
Can #2
Naphta again
Drying 36 hours
Dry sanding 800 grid with a good sanding block
Can #3
Naphta
Drying 48 hours
Wet sand 1000-1500-2000 with a good sanding block
Compound Presta "Ultra cutting crème" with proper pad (3 inch pad on a drill)
Presta "Ultra polish" with proper pad (different) 3inch pad on drill
Wax

[quoted image][quoted image]

Hey folks, just doing this so it`s easily find able for me soon.

#680 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

That’s one way to do it.
But in case you weren’t aware, there is another very useful feature in the forums... you can click the bookmark symbol near the bottom left of the post and then click “save post bookmark”. It even allows you to add tags so you can search your bookmarks later. I use tags such as “mods” or “tech repair” or “restoration”, etc.
You can basically build your own library of useful posts that you’d like to refer back to.

Ahhhhh,
On that side, I was looking for something like that. Thx!!!

#696 5 years ago

Hey folks, prepping my PF right now, how far do I go with covering holes before spraying?!

Basically every opening? What about switch lane slots? I’m taping the holes from underneath...... feedback? Thx!

#700 5 years ago

Omg, I’m missing some reading I’m thinking, should I have pre-sanded my Fish Tales here before I start filling a couple low spots before I clear?

Toss some 400 on a smaller block and it’ll find some of he low points also I bet?

#703 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Just finished wet sanding and buffing my BK playfields. Wet sanded with 1000, then 1500, then 2000 grit. Then buffed it out with Meguiars number two and then a machine glaze after that. Wow, it looks incredible.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice, sanded tonight, started at 1500-2000-2500-3000 did it by hand with a hand held block. Got it pretty dang smooth! I haven't used the Meguiars cutter creme or the final creme yet, tomorrow eve probably.

7 months later
#746 4 years ago

I think you have to wait months between if I remember Ive read it someplace before.

3 weeks later
#776 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Yea, so I had no luck with the dropper method. However, I did some spot clear coat around the areas that were low and that built them up somewhat. Then I did the acrylics and waterslides and sprayed another light coat on. When that was cured I did my last coat of clear..and I realized, I needed to lay a much heavier coat than I was. The lighter coats I did ended up with a lot of "orange peel" to the look, which is fine when you sand it down. However, the much heavier coat I did went on almost like epoxy, it flowed and leveled out.
The "C" and the "S" don't look exactly like the others, but for my first time I think they came out OK. I had to do the text on BUNKER on a water slide because I had to sand it off when I had to remove that dropped on clear coat. I did a bunch of color touchups around that hole. Overall I think the whole thing looks decent for doing this rouge style, outside in the wind. I even sprayed some touch ups in my house, smell wasn't that bad and I just left the room with a window open. Used a mask, of course.
Now to sand and buff. How long should I wait before doing those things?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You used SprayMax2K in your house with the window open??!?? your nuts, that stuff is friggin toxic man. I built a spray booth in my garage and wore an alomost hazmat suit and it was still rank.

#840 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballBillinFL:

All this talk has me concerned about how these vapors disperse into the atmosphere. IF I go this route (trying to find somebody to do the clear for me), I would certainly suit up with the appropriate PPE, but I live on a small city lot, so I would be shooting either in the open, or improvising a booth to keep debris out and minimize overspray. Given that, I don't want to poison the neighbors! Anybody have any thoughts or experience?

I have a couple neighbor yappy shit dogs that I could pipe the vapours over the fence to. hmm.... gots me thinking now

3 weeks later
#913 4 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:Who can share their final sand / polish regimen?

If you read back in thread a bit, you will find some complete timelines and examples.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 279.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 18.95
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider northerndude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spraymax-2k-auto-clear-in-a-can-club?tu=northerndude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.