(Topic ID: 109931)

The SprayMax 2K Auto Clear in a Can Club!

By Curbfeeler

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1476 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1477 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1479 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1480 (resized).jpeg
P3280001 (resized).JPG
Pinside_forum_8094523_2 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7738777_3539409 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0282 (resized).jpg
IMG_4646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0115 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0116 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231124_033122528 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230910_203703295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053116598 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053126861 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lb1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#266 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Well....maybe I just don't clearcoat, paint the touch ups on the wear spots, and don't clear over the paint. I think I have read to not use acrylics if you are not clearing? Decisions are hard.

Touch up with acrylic, wax and protect with some Mylar?

7 months later
#306 6 years ago

Holly Molly! This looks incredible - the actual result and the pictures.

1 week later
#309 6 years ago
Quoted from JLebowski:

Is it ok to use the SprayMax on a bare playfield prior to applying an overlay? Then clearcoat over the top creating an overlay "sandwich". I'm most concerned about the ability of the SprayMax to adhere properly to the bare wood playfield prior to the overlay application.

Clear is going to adhere to bare wood like there is no tomorrow.

#313 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

About to start CC my playfield tomorrow.
I was suggested to lay a wet coat (half the can), wait an hour and then lay another wet coat (rest of the can). Do I need sanding before those 2 coats? Or the second coat will blend in?
Why an hour? why not 2h or simply 15-20 minutes?

You shoot the second layer either before the first coat has dried to a point where the second coat can no longer fuse into it, or after it has dried and you have sanded it to create tooth for the next one to properly stick to it. Check the product sheet of what you are using for specifics. The PPG Shopline I use says two medium wet coats 2-5 minutes apart.

A full can seems like an awful lot of clear. The idea is to get a wet coat that covers the playfield and that's flat wherever the playfield is flat. In areas where the playfield is not flat, surface tension is going to create highs and lows no matter how much clear you shoot. And there is a limit to how much thickness you can shoot because at some point the clear will flow off the playfield or through holes. It's not like a bath tub.

The problem when you shoot two much clear is that it does have that glass like satisfying look when you first shoot it, but you end up having to do a lot more sanding. Sanding and cleaning is the part that takes an awful lot of time and it sucks.

#317 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

I guess he implied some sanding between those 2 coats.

From what he suggested, especially if the playfield had some planking and valleys, 3 cans for the whole job should be it. Each can in 2 separate coats, sanding as flat as possible between each can. Does that make sense?

If you got the instructions from Jappie, go with what he says. His result is impressive. Maybe 3 cans isn't that much after all. In terms of time, seems like 5-8 hours is enough before sanding and applying the next coat.

#318 6 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

The problem is time.
You can sand it flat the same day if you want. But while it cures it shrinks. So what was flat is not flat 1-6 month later.
In my experience it is mostly around inserts you will see it.
So if you are in a hurry and above is ok, then you can do it. But if you want the best result, better wait with final sanding/buffing or extra clear.

That's an excellent point. Probably the reason why shops such as HSA take 6-8 weeks to clear a playfield. And even then, I got a playfield from them that was dead flat when I received it and now has some very slight "telegraphing" (to use Vid's term) around some inserts. You have to look for it but it's there.

#323 6 years ago

Looks like you got a bit of orange peel with the Spraymax. There's a guy in this thread who recommends doing one heavy coat to limit the peel. http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39399.0

Then again it could have to do with the nozzle.

#338 6 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

Question for all of you.. If you have some material missing around inserts, what do you fill around the insert with prior to painting and
clear coat?

That's where SprayMax could be a problem. You want to fill it with an eye dropper and the same clear. You would need to find a way to spray some in a container so it can be picked up with the eye dropper.

#346 6 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Well I went ahead and started the playfield with my last remaining can of SprayMax. I won't be able to get anymore until next week sometime....
So in the meantime, I am going to do an experiment. I am doing a Street Fighter 2 playfield (don't laugh). I have the small upper playfield already coated with SprayMax and I have done my first wet sanding on it. I am going to rough it up with 600 grit, and try laying some Omni clear over it. At least if it doesn't work for some reason, it's a pretty small area to have to sand down. Wish me luck!

Will be interesting to see. One problem you could have if the spray max is still fresh is the bottom and top layer cure and contract at different rates. Probably not an adhesion problem but maybe it means you want to wait a little before sanding flat and polishing.

#349 6 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

Yes.
I have heard that can cause bubbles.

If the layer underneath is still early in curing and releases gases you can get bubbles.

#350 6 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

How long do you suggest I wait before polishing?

Really hard to tell. I don't think it is only about the polishing. Depends on the results you are looking for. The clear continues to cure and shrink for a long time so some folks wait for several weeks before final sanding and polishing to get a really flat mirror surface.

If you're just worried about adhesion and clear compatibility I don't think you need to wait more thanks a day.

1 month later
#398 6 years ago

Silicon?

#402 6 years ago

I'd try spraying on a test surface that has the MX-8000 and another part of the surface that hasn't. I haven't heard of anything that does a good job at removing silicone. Could be that the MX is the contaminant. Better figure it out right away.

#412 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickedbass:

Update:
Sanded with 1500 this morning
Cleaned with naptha
Sprayed a light coat
Rinse repeat for 2 light coats.
Just now hit it with a heavier coat, and really starting to look good.
So far I have a one and half cans used. I expect another half can or a little more.
But looking great!

Impressive recovery!!!

1 week later
#462 6 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I saw HEPs comments on dry sanding too, but I have no idea what he is talking about saying dry sanding has improved so much there is no need for wet sanding. Anyone know what he is talking about?

He's certainly using the right combination of clear, paper and tool.

Also, I don't think all wet sanding is created equal. That is, wet sanding does not have to be that wet and can be simply damp. In this video for instance, the pad is damp, not wet. I suspect it cut down on the amount of slurry that makes it into the holes and has to be cleaned.

That's quite different from comparatively large amount of water I used to sand my playfield with a sanding block. There was no way around it. After literally 10 second the sanding residue had accumulated on the paper into a couple of areas so the sanding was no longer uniform or even effective. The only way to make it work was to clean the sanding paper in water often and also to use lots of paper towels.

#464 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

That is what I figured.
Anyway, my strategy will be:
Clear, dry sand level, clear, dry sand level, clear, buff, polish.
I won't sand after the final clear coat which just look too good on a levelled playfield.

Would be great to get the dry sanding the work.

1 year later
#750 4 years ago

My own experience / observations... Dimples mostly come from compression of the playfield wood. I have a LOTR that was heavily dimpled that got professionally clearcoated when I restored the game. There are still hardly any dimples and that was 3 years ago. You can kind of see it before in https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-refresh#post-3129134 and after in https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-refresh/page/2#post-3292380. Once the wood's been compressed and is protected by a thicker coat of clear, it is a lot more resilient.

I saw in person a couple games restored by HEP and even after a few years, there are hardly any dimples.

On the other hand, the clear on the LOTR has recessed by a very slight amount around some of the inserts. You really have to look for it with the right lighting and at an angle to see it.

I got a NIB AFMr and after 500 or so plays, there are dimples all over the playfield, and the clear has also shrunk a bit around some of the inserts. It happens with or without heat as the clear cures.

4 weeks later
1 year later
#1082 3 years ago

As others have said, clear should only be on the playfield. Clearing the metal guides would be a disaster.

These are handy to regrain the metal guides https://www.amazon.com/Flapper-Wheel-Buffing-Flap-Wheels/dp/B01GIGZ4VO/ref=sr_1_2

8 months later
#1211 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

As an addition safety, i always spray outdoors, late in the afternoon when there is no breeze.
I spray with pf horizontal and then turn it vertical in my rotisserie between coats.
I have had good results and have not had any crud get into clear.
Even if a small amount of dust did get into it, i always sand and polish it after anyway.
I know we are looking for beyond perfect because we are all so anal but my survival is a little more important than pinball.
You can see the results of spraying outdoors in the Volcano Club thread. That is my game and it WAS sprayed outdoors without a tent.

Your game looks great. A while back I also sprayed outdoor and I ended up getting a little bit of dust. Not SprayMax but standard 2PAC. I like your idea of the rotisserie. Just out curiosity, why not turn it 180 degrees?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 169.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
$ 64.99
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 180.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lb1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spraymax-2k-auto-clear-in-a-can-club?tu=lb1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.