(Topic ID: 109931)

The SprayMax 2K Auto Clear in a Can Club!

By Curbfeeler

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1476 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1477 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1479 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1480 (resized).jpeg
P3280001 (resized).JPG
Pinside_forum_8094523_2 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7738777_3539409 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0282 (resized).jpg
IMG_4646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0115 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0116 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231124_033122528 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230910_203703295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053116598 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053126861 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider killerrobots.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1328 2 years ago

Hey I am doing my 4th playfield and have switched to the 2k system simply for the convenience. I also came up with a simple paint booth that works really well and I thought I would share. I have a wood shop in half my garage and I had a home-made dust collector hanging above my work table. It is just a box with two Walmart box fans and four 20x20 air filters on it. For this playfield I added a skirt around it the same size as my work table and draped some plastic around. When the fan is on it sucks air from the room through the filters and blows it down across the table. I keep a gap in the front and lean in to spray. It is not a lot of air flow but enough to keep the fumes out and away from my face. It also allows me to keep my garage doors open for full ventilation as the clean air inside is at relatively positive pressure so no outside air should get in. It is also great because you can fold up the plastic around the skirt when it is not needed. It takes a bit to build but is really convenient as I don't need to build a new booth every time I want to spray.

0810211208_HDR (resized).jpg0810211208_HDR (resized).jpg0810211209_HDR (resized).jpg0810211209_HDR (resized).jpg0812211416_HDR (resized).jpg0812211416_HDR (resized).jpg0814211223_HDR (resized).jpg0814211223_HDR (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#1338 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

For the first mist coat 600 grit gives a good bite. I just press moderately on a fresh 800 grit, gray 3m sponge in straight lines.
Its rated at 600 to 800 depending on its use. When the sponges loose their grit I save them for later during finishing.
Chris Hutchens uses 550 grit, carefully.
for the second and successive coats 800 grit for block flattening, and so on.
with the mist coat, plus the first coat then sanding, if all goes well a second finish coat might be ok.
But really after flattening and thinning down the clear, a 3rd coat is what usually happens.
then buffing down the clear, or one more coat for die back, at about 10 weeks.
If I see substantial die back after 10 days, I put a 4th heavy finish coat, then sand down (flatten and thin) and buff out at 10 weeks.

How long do you wait between coats?

#1340 2 years ago

Mist coat then wait 7 mins then light coat. Never put much paint down on the first coat. It doesn't have to wet up.
Next day, flatten with 800 then drip into low areas, put 2 medium coats enough to wet up, 7 mins apart.
Next day flatten then lite coat wait 5 mins then a heavy coat. Nearly one whole can basically.
It really helps to rubber band a shroud of paper towel around the can 1/2" above the edge but below the spray pattern to keep drips from falling off the can edge.
This really screws up an otherwise perfect job as you will have to sand them out later.
I do it on all rattle can jobs that are above the work.
Its especially hateful when you get a big droplet onto a spatter job like a coin door.
Air blow and chemically treat before any painting.
Rapid-prep is better than naptha.
I use both, no fish eyes.
First naptha with a pure paper towel.
Then rapid-prep then air blow.

Thanks a bunch, this is really very helpful. I am about 95% done with restoring my funhouse playfield. It is my fourth one but I am still learning alot. Before I did the whole HPLV setup but it is a pain to set up and puts a ton of vapor in the air which seems much more dangerous than the 2k. I would really like to just use the 2k going forward.

I have had problems before with fisheyes and this time I really focused on cleaning really well before the first coat (prior to repainting). I used Rapid-prep on a buffer sponge and got no fish-eyes. I also put down a very light first coat just to cover the surface and I waited 2 weeks for it to fully cure. Now I am hoping I am good because the final clear will either be on the first clear coat or new paint.

0902211924 (resized).jpg0902211924 (resized).jpg
#1343 2 years ago

I got a old whirlwind playfield a while back from a guy who was doing a swap and I used as a practice PF. It was the first time I used the 2k and I had a weird issue. I was playing around with using clear vinyl stickers instead of waterslides. When I put on a layer of clear over the stickers everything worked fine. However, when I would spray a new coat the next day the stickers would "pucker up". I would sand it back but it happened a couple of times. I plan to use waterslides this time but I was thinking I would wait a week or so after the first coat so that I was sure the next coat would not have some weird interaction with the first. That was kind of an experimental PF so maybe it was some other variable but you have never had any problems with waterslides under the first coat after a day?

#1345 2 years ago

Okay, well I will follow your advice to the letter and hopefully don't have any issues. I should be able to do the final waterslides today and start spraying Saturday.

#1348 2 years ago

These are the two I have used.

0903211153 (resized).jpg0903211153 (resized).jpg

It was the first time I used the adhesive remover and it worked great. I had a bunch of mylar to remove and previously I had used an alcohol/flour method which was a f'ing mess. I also used goo-gone but it seemed to have more of a residue. This one smells a little like goo-gone so probably has a citrus something in it.

#1349 2 years ago

The longer you wait the harder the finish is.
During the process I dont wait too long, it gets too hard to sand out by hand and have to use the orbital sander which is very scary but effective.
After the final process then I wait for it to cure, 10 weeks.

Is the 10 weeks only for playing? Is it okay to repopulate the playfield a week or so after? Seems like it would but maybe the posts or something would introduce some kind of stress?

If it is okay to repopulate is it also okay to do a good waxing? I like to wax before I repopulate so I am sure I can get everywhere.

#1352 2 years ago

Well alright then. Honestly waiting is the hardest part for me. I am super obsessive and just stopping kills me but I will do my best.

I also do a lot of woodworking and waiting the recommended time between coats of finish always catches me up.

Can I ask what specifically "die back" is?

I did start with the playfield but after cleaning and replacing inserts I put a light clear coat down and then waited two weeks. During that two weeks I re-did the cabinet. I still have some work to do on the cabinet and can rebuild mechs and polish metal guides but not more than a week or two.

Thanks a bunch for the advice.

1 week later
#1370 2 years ago

Anyone have any tricks for keeping sanding gunk out of the holes on the playfield. I came up with this hand flapper sander thing but it would be nice to avoid it altogether.

0913211150 (resized).jpg0913211150 (resized).jpg0913211150a (resized).jpg0913211150a (resized).jpg
#1373 2 years ago

Thanks, I will see if my HF has those brushes. I think I read that ear plug thing but I am wondering if he keeps them in between coats or removes them when spraying clear.

#1384 2 years ago

So I just finished my last coat. Overall it looks pretty good. I thought I would do my last one yesterday but in getting it perfectly flat I took off some paint in high spots and had to retouch it. However my question is why am I getting these small bubbles? I am sure they will sand out but I am just curious if I am doing something wrong. Here was my setup:
1. 80deg, 30% hum
2. Heated can in warm water
3. Cleaned playfield with naptha then Rapid-prep then a final wipe with a tack cloth just before spraying
4. Spraying in a small booth with filtered down draft
5. Spraying about 6" away to get a full wet coat
6. Medium-heavy coat about 3/4 of a can

I see the bubbles form immediately and can remove some with over-spraying but some form after I spray. The surface I sprayed on was solid flat clear at about 1500 grit sanded. Kind of hard to get a good picture but I did my best.

0914210910 (resized).jpg0914210910 (resized).jpg0914210910a (resized).jpg0914210910a (resized).jpg0914210911 (resized).jpg0914210911 (resized).jpg
#1387 2 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Laid on too thick and getting solvent pop? Inadequate flash-off time between coats?

I have done quite a few coats and sanding to get this level and they way it is spraying for me a "light coat" looks dimply just like the Springbreak in post 1368 above. A medium coat is fully wet but has a orange peel texture. I sprayed the minimum I could and still not have the orange peel (like medium-heavy). I have to get pretty close for it to wet and lay flat. Going over and over with light coats just gives orange peel. So all that said, it is as light as I can go but still pretty heavy.

I did this coat 24 hours after the last coat.

Quoted from bigguybbr:

Your order of operations is off here. You need to wipe with naptha AFTER rapid prep.
From Rapid Tac's Website (https://rapidtac.com/rapid-prep.html)

I also prefer not to use tack cloth and go for compressed air instead. The components in tack cloth are usually petroleum based, and I don't want anything contaminating the surface before spraying clear. I save them for my cabinet resprays.

Well I guess I will try that order of operations next time although I am hoping not to have to spray again. Compressed air is not a great option for me given my small paint area, it disturbs the plastic and tends to drop bits of stuff from above. I guess I could do a tack and then a quick Naptha right before spraying.

To be honest I don't see any solid contamination, just the bubbles so maybe I can skip the tack cloth altogether as long as I spray soon after cleaning.

#1388 2 years ago

The more I think about it I think I just needed to clean better. I had some touchup paint spots and I didn't want to disturb them so I did a fairly light cleaning.

#1390 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

I have never warmed the can.
My ritual does include actually timing how long i shake the can.

I will be honest that I probably only shake the can for 2 minutes. 5 minutes before and after puncture seems like a very long time but that is probably my general impatience.

#1392 2 years ago

Well after a lot of sanding and polishing I think I am pretty much there. It is very flat and has a good shine. There are some very fine lines from sanding that I am still chasing but they don't show up in pictures. Because I did a lot of spraying and sanding to get it flat I am probably a week out from the first spray so I am hoping my "die-back" is minimal. I will do a final polish after it is fully cured.

I will note that it currently passes both the "finger-nail" and "smell" test. I am still going to wait but those may not be the best method to confirm a full cure.

I am pretty happy with it but still learning a lot. At this point the clear job is probably about as nice as the paint job so chasing it much further doesn't matter too much. I am definitely not very efficient but the finished product is what counts.

I will say that I feel like I am a little limited on the 2k. It kind of sprays how it sprays and I just have to live with it. I am no expert on a full HPLV setup (I have done two but as a true novice) so I am sure there are a lot of learning curves there but I am contemplating going back and trying that again on my next one. I have been watching HEP's videos and am so jealous of his setup and skills. Everything looks mirror perfect but he has 40 years of high-end painting experience so what are you going to do. I was laughing today about what I would have thought two years ago when I got into pinball that 75% of my effort was basically improving my painting and coating skills.

0914211814b (resized).jpg0914211814b (resized).jpg

0914211814 (resized).jpg0914211814 (resized).jpg

0914211814a (resized).jpg0914211814a (resized).jpg

#1399 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I dont have access to naptha where I live. It is banned here and really do not want to experiment with camp fuel to see what happens.
All that to say, can I just use rapid prep followed by rapid tac and get spraying?

In Colorado Naptha also just got banned but I got 2 gallons of the stock they had. I would note that I went into an auto-finishing place for some custom spray cans and they had stuff that I am pretty sure is basically Naptha (something like "Rapid dry cleaner" or something like that"). It is for "professionals" only but I am pretty sure the place I was at they would have happily sold it to me.

Also I can just drive up to Wyoming....

#1400 2 years ago

Looks really good.
You dont need a lot of equipment to spray a 2 foot square piece of plywood.
Wait 10 days. It will absolutely die back. Absolutely.
At 10 days it will show you where its going.
Sand with 800
Fill the die back with a dropper and put on a super heavy coat:
Mist coat wait 7 mins.
Heavy coat, 1/3 a can or slightly less or more.
Wait 10 mins
Heavy coat, other 1/3 of the can.
Put enough paint to cover any drip fills you did. Puncture any bubbles with a straight pin.
Don't run out the can dry, it will splatter and ruin the finish. Throw away the bottom 1/4 can.
Make sure you tape a dam along the upper edge of the can and frequently dump.out the rim.
This is where those big drips ruin a perfect job.
Wait 10 weeks and you are done.
Essentially you can sand with 1000 cascade up to 4000, and buff, to flatten again and fix any rough spots at this time.

Thanks, I wanted to get as many lines out now as I could assuming it would be harder in a week or so but I am ready to hang it up.

#1402 2 years ago

Its all about the die back. And whatever grade of finish you want.
10 weeks from now you will see more die back. Always.
Chris usually applies more clear to flatten it out again after 8 to 10 weeks.
This is how you get a mirror finish.
Oddly in the long run it doesnt matter too much due to ball dimples, scrapes and scratches.

Yeah, that is the thing isn't it. When to stop.... A lot of the touch up I have been doing is in areas that are going to be fully hidden. I was just looking at my Taxi which I did before which wasn't nearly so flat and shiny and it looks perfect in play. It would look great on the game now but I keep seeing the tiny flaws.

4 weeks later
#1454 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:I know this is another one you have seen in a HEP restoration thread. His methods work for him in his environment with his techniques and materials, but it is far from the only way or consensus way of doing things. You’ll see Kruzman and Neo doing more than 2 coats with flawless results, and I’m sure if you compare them, they don’t go about it the exact same way.
Manufacturers recommendations of 2-3 heavy wet coats are based on the intended purpose of a prepped automotive panel that is sanded, primed and has a color base coat already. It doesn’t cover being sanded between coats. Most of the use on here is on a playfield that likely will have some surface conditioning issues like sunken inserts or some planking so 2 coats on anything but a perfect playfield will never yield an acceptable result.
All that said, others on here have reached out to their local Spray2K reps to ensure that we are using it in accordance with manufacturers recommendations. I’m not sure where the idea that chemically it won’t bond comes from. It might get cloudy with too many coats.

I am not a coating expert but this sounds right to me. I am always skeptical of prescriptive advice without understanding the why (sometimes to my detriment). The Spray2k is almost exclusively used for autobody work and as such much of their recommendations are likely to be focused on getting good results in that application. I have a hard time believing that there would be any surface adhesion issues with multiple coats as long as you sanded and prepped properly between coats. There may be structural issues with built up stresses due to different curing periods but I don't think we see any evidence of this. Maybe it restricts off-gassing of the bottom layers?

Also, I think the key point is that on many older playfields 2-3 coats is simply not enough. I don't think anyone is recommending 6-7 coats just for the aesthetics but it may be necessary to get the playfield flat. I know on my last playfield I used probably 6 coats but there was a lot of sanding so I think the final product is maybe around 3 coats in total thickness. If I had started with a perfectly flat playfield I definitely would have stopped at 3 coats.

I would also say that I don't see any short term issues with using this many coats. The playfield looks great, there may be longer term issues but I am not sure what those would be. It is good to listen to experienced advice but you also have to follow your own experience and if something is working I personally would be hesitant to stop without understanding why. I suspect it boils down to the fact that what is best for cars may not be best for playfields.

I am just wonder if this is more of a philosophical problem than a practical one. Has anyone had issues with using more than 3 coats?

Just my opinion of course.

#1456 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

This is a product that has been in use for sometime, if there was a problem with many coats it would have shown itself by now.
This thread alone is 6 years old.

Good point.

#1460 2 years ago

There is a project Earthshaker that I might buy for my next project. Anyone restored one? Are any parts unobtanium? Are cabinet decals readily available? Key mechs to check out? I guess the shaker motor works.

#1463 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yep, you can get everything.
rd

Thanks

1 month later
#1493 2 years ago

I am seriously thinking of getting one of these. I don't know about you but I don't have the patience to shake for 5 minutes.

#1497 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballBillinFL:

While looking for this tool, I came across this DIY version you can make from some 3" plastic pipe and a test plug:
https://m.roadkillcustoms.com/diy-drill-powered-spray-paint-can-shaker/
While the shank (actually the bolt from the test plug) is centered, it seems to do a good job; perhaps due to not being able to exactly center the can in the pipe. (he uses an old piece of T-shirt to hold the can somewhat in place)

That one looks pretty straight forward. I actually couldn't find the one Adam used on Amazon (and his did break while filming). Say this one for $12 which I will try out. Obviously it is not a complicated piece of technology.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MGTJDFG/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 1,280.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, WI
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gainesville, GA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider killerrobots.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spraymax-2k-auto-clear-in-a-can-club?tu=killerrobots and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.