(Topic ID: 109931)

The SprayMax 2K Auto Clear in a Can Club!

By Curbfeeler

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1476 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1477 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1479 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1480 (resized).jpeg
P3280001 (resized).JPG
Pinside_forum_8094523_2 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7738777_3539409 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0282 (resized).jpg
IMG_4646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0115 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0116 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231124_033122528 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230910_203703295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053116598 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053126861 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jazc4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1608 1 year ago

I'm 2 cans into a JM playfield clear. It's looking good, but not thick. Should I expect to use 1 or 2 more cans to get that thicker look? Also, I'm spraying in 82 degrees with 50% humidity. Does spraying in the high temperature play a part in the thickness?

#1610 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

It takes me 3 1/2 cans to do a good job.
And maybe a 4th can if I dont like the die back after 6-10 weeks.

Perfect. This is my first time to clear anything. I bought 6 cans initially. So I'll keep at it according to your instructions in this thread. Tonight will be round 3. Thanks for all of your efforts in this thread. I'm not sure I would have attempted clear coating without it.

#1611 1 year ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Perfect. This is my first time to clear anything. I bought 6 cans initially. So I'll keep at it according to your instructions in this thread. Tonight will be round 3. Thanks for all of your efforts in this thread. I'm not sure I would have attempted clear coating without it.

Ended up using 4 cans total. It has a little orange peel that a little sanding will fix. Otherwise it turned out very nice.

4 weeks later
#1631 1 year ago

I’ve now cleared two playfields with Spraymax. If you take your time and follow Pinballinreno’s instructions, it’s pretty easy. I did a JM and a RS and they came out amazing. JM is complete, but RS still needs sanding to 3000, then more curing time. The pictures don’t do it justice as to how good it does.

46E923F4-552A-42B1-A4BA-6584B37C2EC8 (resized).jpeg46E923F4-552A-42B1-A4BA-6584B37C2EC8 (resized).jpegB41DB263-D29D-4747-842D-EFC4378A8BB8 (resized).jpegB41DB263-D29D-4747-842D-EFC4378A8BB8 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#1661 1 year ago
Quoted from Chrimeg:

So I've finally got my playfield cleared with 2K in can. Sanded and buffed. Just wondering about waxing and repopulating.
Right now its been three weeks since final clear and buffing etc. Do you apply wax? What kind do you recommend these days?
Wax before repopulating playfield (wooden rails etc)? How long should I wait before putting down wax and populating? I've been reading all kinds of dates from from 4 days, to 6 weeks to months....not really sure how long to wait to be honest.[quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome Job!!!

#1663 1 year ago
Quoted from Chrimeg:

Thanks! A lot of work and learning curve but enjoyed doing it. Also, created full vector graphic to scale of the playfield. So if I ever just want to do a printout/overlay that's an option.
Learning vector graphics and color mixing I think was the hardest parts. Now I just got to figure out what to do wax wise and time frame to start putting everything back on it.

Where would you suggest I start to learn vector graphics?

#1674 1 year ago
Quoted from Chrimeg:

Ok I had no idea this would happen over such a long duration. I'll let it sit for a another month or two and see how goes. Hopefully it won't be to bad and I can sand it out if pronounced.
I used 3 full cans. After the the first I sanded as flat as one could. Waited a month or so and sprayed the second. Sanded flat again and a week after that sprayed the third. About 3 days after that started sanded flat and over a week or so worked it through the various grits up to 3000 and then Novus 2. So right now its been sitting for about 3/4 weeks since that final coat.
Thanks pinballinreno

I used 4 cans on the last one I did. It's been sitting for around 6-8 weeks. I'm in no rush to populate it. So far so good. But I'm trying to spray the playfields months ahead of when I'm ready to restore. That way they can sit for a while before I need them.

3 weeks later
#1727 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I have done automotive restoration since I was 18 and prop building for the last 15 years and it's amazing how much transfers over.

I want to clear a cabinet for the first time soon. Is the Matte normally preferred for cabinets?

#1732 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

So what finish do you use for a pf? Matte or glamour?

I use Glamour

1 month later
#1748 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I will when I clear coat the lw3 pf I will be working on. But it will be a while.
I will write something here in thr meantime ans can probably just help you by learning a little of what your current process is like.
But always, the principle is thr least aggressive pad for the surface.
More to it later, but tell me a little of what chems and machine you are using and I can guide you.

I have a RS playfield I cleared, sanded up to 3000, and has been sitting for 4 months. I'd love details on proper cut and polish. Thanks!

8 months later
#1815 8 months ago

Thanks, I re-did a TAF CPR "gold" last week.
It was TERRIBLE lol..

They can't all be perfect

#1817 8 months ago

The only "Perfect" NOS playfields I have ever bought were from Buthamburg.
They call them "Perfect Playfields" and they are.
https://www.buthamburg.de/en/playfields

From what I've seen I must agree. I hope one day to grab an F-14 and make mine minty fresh. And as far as your work PinballinReno, you do a great job clearing playfields.

#1832 7 months ago
Quoted from rockwell:

I recently re-cleared my lower Elektra playfield and thought I'd post my results here. I've never tried the SprayMax, so this is a first for me. I thought the lower playfield would be a safe place to experiment a little I think it went pretty well, so I will probably try it on the other playfields as well.
I went with a relatively low-effort approach for this "restoration." The playfield was pretty solid overall, inserts weren't cupping or anything. No real damage. Mostly I just wanted to try and clean it a little and touch up the black paint around the inserts and elsewhere.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
I did one session (of one light coat and one medium coat) in covered but open-air environment with a good respirator. The coats went on clean, but you could see the textures and it looked a little bumpy at first. The first coats didn't look too bad after it dried (I don't have any images before I sanded the first coat). After letting it dry for about a day I sanded it a little bit (800 with a rubber hand-held sanding block) and did a second session in the same fashion.
[quoted image][quoted image]
I sanded it down and I was pretty pleased with the flatness I achieved, and only noticed a handful of low spots that concerned me. Mostly on the inserts.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
Touched up the black and was ready for a third session of SprayMax.
[quoted image]
After about another day, I did a third session. The third session looked a lot better right away before it dried. Smoother appearance overall. I did have plugs in the rollover inserts when I sprayed
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
After another day and a half and some sanding (800 with a rubber hand-held sanding block), I was pleased with the results and decided not to spray any further layers of clear.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
I did some finer sanding (1000-2000-3000 with a rubber hand-held sanding block) and then buffed and polished it up, and am feeling good about the results.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
It's not totally glassy smooth, there are some spots that have light scratching and imperfections. I am guessing some particles got in there when spraying, or I didn't sand it down enough. But I'm cool to call it a day and not do another coat. I may take a little more care and try harder when I do the upper playfield, since that is the one you'd see the best in the end.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
Overall, I'm happy with the initial result. The touched-up parts came out really nice, the blacks look totally smooth and even and you'd never know. That was honestly the thing I cared the most about, retouching the bad black paint areas.
Thanks to everyone who has posted their processes and results here previously, it was helpful.

Really nice result!

1 week later
#1847 7 months ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

Thoughts on this to spray outdoors or in an open garage? Bunny suit and mask of course. Trying to keep it simple for the occasional playfield.

I've done most in a booth but I did one outside and it went fine. It helped that it was not windy at all. I was sure to sand it and look for trash or defects in between each session. I sprayed a can a day for 4 days on it.

#1850 7 months ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

Lol, I forgot the link. Dumbass
VEVOR Portable Paint Booth, Larger Spray Paint Tent with Built-in Floor & Mesh Screen & Windproof Hooks, Painting Tent Station for Furniture DIY Hobby Tool, 7.5x5.2x5.2ft Spray Paint Shelter https://a.co/d/5cFKrYv

I have the Wagner version of that one. It's a little tight but does work.

#1852 7 months ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

I had the Wagner one rip in half due to mild wind.

yeah they are inexpensive for that reason. Mine definitely took a few hits in some higher wind.

6 months later
#1894 27 days ago

Just a double check here. What clear are you guys using to fill in a void on an insert like I have on my GI "O" and "N" insert these days? I'll be using Spraymax 2K to clear the whole playfield after fixing the inserts. Thanks!

thumbnail_IMG_0282 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_0282 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, WI
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jazc4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spraymax-2k-auto-clear-in-a-can-club?tu=jazc4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.