(Topic ID: 109931)

The SprayMax 2K Auto Clear in a Can Club!

By Curbfeeler

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1476 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1477 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1479 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1480 (resized).jpeg
P3280001 (resized).JPG
Pinside_forum_8094523_2 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7738777_3539409 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0282 (resized).jpg
IMG_4646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0115 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0116 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231124_033122528 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230910_203703295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053116598 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053126861 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider durgee7.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1180 3 years ago

I apologize if this topic has already been covered thoroughly in this thread or others. Does anyone have a method for laying SprayMax 2k on overlays? I read one post on applying around 5 coats of unspecified automotive clear, 30 minutes apart, with 1st and/or second being light coats. Does light coat mean a once over misting? I'm nervous about burning through a brand new vinyl overlay.

Thanks!

#1182 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

One of the problems with vinyl overlays is poor adhesion of the adhesive.
The general consensus is to sand the playfield flat and remove all of the old artwork.
Then properly apply clearcoat in several coats, sand it flat then polish it.
Wait 12 weeks for the clear to cure completely, it should have no smell at all, no gasses should be present.
Outgassing of the clear will loosen the overlay later on.
Apply the overlay and press it down completely. It sticks best on shiny surfaces.
Apply the clear with mist coats allow to dry and then medium coats. Too much solvent will melt the overlay adhesive.
Its best not to apply the clear too heavy, as it shrinks and dies back, also there's the solvent problem, then a huge amount of tension occurs on the surface.
Hopefully this tension will not lift the overlay and cause it to wrinkle, loosen and shrink.
Done properly and with care they look really good.

Thanks pinballinreno! This sounds like excellent advice. Patience is the biggest takeaway from this advice.

Now, after reading all the posts on ventilation and ventilators, I'm having difficulty finding a full mask with compatible ov/n95 cartridges. Can anyone recommend what they've used while applying spraymax 2k? Any links for a specific mask with the ov/n95 cartridges? I want to, at the very least, follow bare minimum ventilator requirements, replacing cartridges every 30 minutes. I'm planning to build the cheap spray room using pvc with cutouts in plastic sheet for air filters and box fans.

#1184 3 years ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

I used this, connected to a pancake compressor: amazon.com link »
And I used this for a mask: amazon.com link »
I can't confirm their safety - all I can say is that I couldn't smell anything while I was spraying, and I had my pancake compressor 30 feet away from my spray booth via long hose. Worked great for me. I wore a full body rain suit with a bunny hood cinched to the 3m mask + rubber gloves

That's a nice option, Boslaw. I like how it eliminates the need for those filters while providing fresh air when used properly. Very nice alternative. Thank you!

#1186 3 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

While I am sure this product will work as advertised, be careful with the choice of air compressor. A shop compressor is definitely not rated for human breathing in terms of cleanliness. The biggest issue would be an oil lubricated compressor, you are dependent on the filter removing nasty oil vapours. An oil-less compressor will eject particulate matter for the most part that should be easier for a filter to remove.

Good info, BJM-Maxx. I only have a small red Harbor Freight Husky "hotdog" compressor that I use for filling tires. I can't remember the size or psi. This will require more research on my part.

#1194 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

As an addition safety, i always spray outdoors, late in the afternoon when there is no breeze.
I spray with pf horizontal and then turn it vertical in my rotisserie between coats.
I have had good results and have not had any crud get into clear.
Even if a small amount of dust did get into it, i always sand and polish it after anyway.
I know we are looking for beyond perfect because we are all so anal but my survival is a little more important than pinball.
You can see the results of spraying outdoors in the Volcano Club thread. That is my game and it WAS sprayed outdoors without a tent.

Good info. I have an interesting layout with my garage detached, facing a shared alleyway. Front of house faces opposite direction, on the main street. A covered breezeway through the yard connects the back of house to back of garage. I'm debating whether I should spray this stuff outdoors, or just do the ventilation setup in my garage. Thanks for all the advice. I'll check out the volcano thread for more info. I'm definitely leaning toward spraymax 2k versus having a pro (or body shop) do the clear for me.

#1196 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

The other advantage to outside is no lingering vapor/ overspray indoors to impact you or your family.
YMMV
Though i have not posted pics, i did my High Speed the same way. I have pics of that as well.

I really like the outdoor idea. Timing will be key. So much bright green pollen now through April. Then, super hot and humid summer.

#1200 3 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the excellent advice. I respect everyone's methods because you know what works for you. I've decided to play it a little safe while getting the less pricey full face respirator. Hopefully the air system is compatible with this mask. I still like the idea of spraying outdoors, underneath a cheap tent. The mask and air supply system will need to be tested prior to spray day.

20210321_131706 (resized).jpg20210321_131706 (resized).jpg
#1202 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Good job.
Good luck.
The product is fabulous and if you follow the instructions here and on the can, your playfield will look awesome.

Update to this post: Just received an email from Harbor Freight advertising al their oil-free compressors. Either I'm more aware of the terminology or they're spying on my data.

Thanks!

Fyi for everyone - The attached compressor is what I was planning to use. If you all think this is an unsafe compressor for air supply purposes, please share your thoughts. From previous conversation, there was mention of an oil free air compressor.

20210321_165633 (resized).jpg20210321_165633 (resized).jpg

Screenshot_20210321-190624_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210321-190624_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210321-190441_Gmail (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210321-190441_Gmail (resized).jpg
1 month later
#1218 2 years ago

Hey Guys,

I finally got my DE Batman overlay. I just sanded away all the original artwork and cleaned the bare playfield. I want to start sealing the bare playfield with Spraymax 2K prior to installing my overlay. I understand that the clear will need to outgass for possibly 2 or more months. My plan is to spray the playfield outdoors, then transport to my garage, and keep inside a spray tent. Is there a minimum amount of time I should allow the spraymax clear to dry prior to moving into my garage? The reason I ask is for safety purposes. I wasn't sure if keeping the playfield in my garage would lead to an unsafe accumulation of toxic particles. I'm just trying to figure out if I should keep cars and family members outside of the garage for a certain period of time.

Thanks!

#1220 2 years ago
Quoted from RichWolfson:

I don't have an answer for you but can you turn your body camera on when you suggest to your wife that she not put her car in the garage for the next two months because your pinball playfield has to cure?
///Rich

You have to pay me extra for that footage. Yes, she would go crazy if I told her to park outside for that long. I need to think this one through a bit longer.

#1222 2 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Do you need to use SprayMax 2k to seal? Why not varathane? Do you put 2k on the overlay?

Well, I guess I don't need to use Spraymax for sealing the wood...but I already bought 4 cans. They need to be put to good use.

Yeah, I'm using 2K on the overlay.

#1226 2 years ago

I went ahead and spraymaxed my bare playfield using several coats. I'm going to let it set for a week before sanding. I'll probably wait 6 to 8 weeks to install my Batman overlay.

Question for you guys:
This overlay has a clear protective layer on top. Will this cause issues with Spraymax adhering to the surface, or will several light coats work? I'm wondering if the ink needs to be exposed for better clear adhesion. I appreciate your feedback!

20210429_070001 (resized).jpg20210429_070001 (resized).jpg
#1227 2 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

I went ahead and spraymaxed my bare playfield using several coats. I'm going to let it set for a week before sanding. I'll probably wait 6 to 8 weeks to install my Batman overlay.
Question for you guys:
This overlay has a clear protective layer on top. Will this cause issues with Spraymax adhering to the surface, or will several light coats work? I'm wondering if the ink needs to be exposed for better clear adhesion. I appreciate your feedback!
[quoted image]

I have another overlay without the clear vinyl covering. Ink is UV based, so should be good. I'll keep the other one as backup in case I screw this one up.

#1229 2 years ago

is that the overlay in the picture?
It looks like the surface is rough?

Yeah, and I think it's a combination of the ink thickness and clear vinyl covering. The other version I have is here in the closeup pic.

20210429_123738 (resized).jpg20210429_123738 (resized).jpg20210429_125650 (resized).jpg20210429_125650 (resized).jpg
#1231 2 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Maybe scrubb the mylar down with a scotch-brite. Or spray a adhesion promotor before-hand. If it has a mylar on top, why bother? Thats whats its meant for.

Interesting. I was seriously thinking of installing the one with the clear vinyl film, then add a playfield protector...but I've read some posts that scare me into using clear. I wouldn't say it's mylar, but it does offer some protection...not mylar tough.

#1233 2 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

I just think that the clearcoat will eventually flake off on any glossy parts unless its prepped right. If you do, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Maybe test on a corner first.

Good advice. I agree.

#1236 2 years ago

Ugh, I see little raised spots or bubbles after waiting 4 days from spraying 2k on my bare playfield. I probably sprayed too close, or had it in the wrong environment. Hope I can wet sand and buff this surface to smooth.

Screenshot_20210502-090239_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210502-090239_Gallery (resized).jpg

#1240 2 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

How many layers is that?

It's about 4 applications over 2 hours, 30 minutes in between applications (layers or passes could be 20+), or 1 can. I already smoothed it out. Probably too many layers for this step.
I went ahead and wet sanded, followed by naptha, novus 2, and naptha again. Feels super smooth now. I'm still having difficulty polishing these 3 green inserts to a nice shine.
20210502_142624 (resized).jpg20210502_142624 (resized).jpg

#1242 2 years ago

Clearcoat cant really be mirror finished for about 10 weeks, its not hard enough.
Also, 10 weeks from now there will be substantial die back and you "might" clear it again to fill in any insert dents or other imperfections.
The clear will lose 50% of its volume in 10 to 12 weeks.
It gets very thin and very hard.
2 of those inserts dont look right. Maybe poor adhesion, ghosting? Its hard to say.
Were they sanded rough (550 to 600 grit) before clearing?

Yes, they were sanded up to 600 grit prior to clear coat. I started with 220 and worked up to 600. The inserts looked clean and shiny prior to wet sanding.

Thanks for the helpful information. I'll just keep an eye on the clear and see what happens in the next month and a half.

#1247 2 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

I am not a expert but 2 hours between coats might be long. Unless you blocksanded.

Thanks for the info. I read so many different timelines and steps involved with clearcoating a playfield. No, I didn't block sand between coats in that 2-hr timeframe. That could be one of the reasons why those inserts are looking off. Great info guys. Keep it coming!

2 weeks later
#1272 2 years ago

Ok guys, getting anxious to install my overlay to the spraymaxed playfield. I have to ask for your feedback on outside/garage temperatures during the clearcoat process. I read that keeping the clearcoated playfield in a 70 to 90 degree range is needed. Now that we're getting into the North Carolina summer, I'm questioning whether I should wait until Fall before applying the final spraymax 2k on my overlay. Another issue I worry about is the actual overlay and any additional heat and humidity. Have any of you guys been in this situation, attempting to spray in the nasty heat and humidity of the southeast? I have a feeling that waiting for more ideal temps and humidty will be the overwhelming answer to my situation.

Thanks!

#1274 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

I have not sprayed spraymax in humid conditions but i have sprayed many finishes that either clouded or flattened due to humidity.
Can you get a window ac for your spray booth/garage?

I guess a window A/C is possible. Yeah, dealing with the humidity sounds risky to me. Thanks for the feedback, PinballAir.

#1276 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

A working window shaker will control humidity, as that is one of its primary functions.
If you have a garage that is 14x24 and want to cool it down, a 6000-8000 BTU should do it.
If you leave it running overnight and spray in the am the humidity should be acceptable. Leave the playfield in a conditioned space or in the garage/spray booth until ready to spray.
I believe once the Spraymax is on the playfield, the humidity should not be a factor after an hour or so.

Thanks PinballAir!

3 weeks later
#1305 2 years ago

Guys,

Last weekend, I wet sanded and used naptha before applying the last 2 coats of spraymax. This was following the previous weekend's initial spraymax coats. So, I may have sprayed too close (5") to playfield based on a few comments regarding a better or smoother finish. That couldn't have been further from the truth for my situation. The orange peel looks even worse...or maybe there is some contaminants that I accidentally sprayed over? Anyways, my goal is just to do the best with what I have since I'm out of clear. In your opinions, should I wet sand soon (like today or tomorrow) before letting this clear set for the next 6 to 8 weeks? It's been 6 days since the last coat was applied. Either way, should I wet sand and polish once the 6 to 8 (maybe even 12) weeks pass? I probably should not have cleared a second weekend in a row but this is my first clearcoat project, and with an overlay. I appreciate all your feedback!

20210618_160013 (resized).jpg20210618_160013 (resized).jpg
#1308 2 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Looks like contamination but it's weird that it is on both the wood and the overlay. What is your source of naphtha? I guess that is the only thing on this playfield other than SprayMax?

I bet the rag I used to clean with naptha was contaminated with something...maybe novus 2 or something else used in the past. That has to be the issue. Ugh...back to sanding this crap down and seeing what's left. I appreciate the support, everyone.

#1311 2 years ago

Edit: Deleted entire post on question related to time-frame for bringing spraymax 2k cleared playfield into home. I'm going to contact spraymax and post any info I receive.

#1312 2 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Edit: Deleted entire post on question related to time-frame for bringing spraymax 2k cleared playfield into home. I'm going to contact spraymax and post any info I receive.

Spoke to the Spraymax representative in my area. He didn't have exact numbers or figures to reference, but he felt 7 days after polishing/finishing would be safe to use the item (to put back into service). Now, he referred to marine projects, so this may not apply 100%...but he felt based on his 30+ years of experience that the effects of outgassing would be minimal. Just passing this info along. Whatever anyone decides on this issue, please be safe. I'm going to wait another week or two before bringing my playfield inside (once cut/polished).

#1314 2 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

How long have you waited before polishing?
Because the total cure time is very long - if you go for "perfect"

Since this is my practice playfield, I'll probably wait a few more weeks before polishing. I know this stuff shrinks back and I should probably wait 12 weeks to cure, but I'm at the point where this thing needs to be installed so that I can test all the other parts. My spare playfield will be a future project, and will allow me to swap and redo this playfield. Also, having the spare to perfect will keep me from waiting to test, play, and enjoy this machine. I've already created a planned installation process and it should be pretty straightforward with all the advice and pics from other owners. I'm just looking forward to getting this pin ready to play.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
1,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sullivan, WI
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.95
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 18.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider durgee7.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spraymax-2k-auto-clear-in-a-can-club?tu=durgee7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.