(Topic ID: 109931)

The SprayMax 2K Auto Clear in a Can Club!

By Curbfeeler

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1476 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1477 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1479 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1480 (resized).jpeg
P3280001 (resized).JPG
Pinside_forum_8094523_2 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7738777_3539409 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0282 (resized).jpg
IMG_4646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0115 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0116 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231124_033122528 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230910_203703295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053116598 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053126861 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider boydsc331.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 9 years ago

be very carefull on first coats over decals and overlays. my first experience with spraymax I layed it on thick first coat . only to come back and find this happened to my xenon overlay .
2014-04-05 11.11.26.jpg2014-04-05 11.11.26.jpg
2014-04-05 11.11.52.jpg2014-04-05 11.11.52.jpg
2014-04-05 11.13.32.jpg2014-04-05 11.13.32.jpg

#37 9 years ago

my second overlay came out very nice . 20140519_185831.jpg20140519_185831.jpg

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

What did you do different the second time?

second time the first 2 or 3 coats were very fine mist. and then let it dry for 30 mins and then another very fine mist till I did about 3 coats that way. Its hard to do such a fine mist coat because it makes it look dull and rough, but about the 4th coat I started spraying enough to give it a glassy wet look. I also did an overlay with polycrylic in a spray can by minwax. The first coat I did very heavy very wet. it did not wrinkle the overlay at all, but that was about 10 months ago and I can still dig my finger nail in to it if I try real hard. The spraymax was 4 or 5 months ago and it is diamond hard finish, I cant make a mark on it with my finger nail.

1 month later
#109 9 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

thanks guys! I was a nervous wreck using this stuff for the first time on an overlay but I'm really happy with the results. I know my friend will be pleased once he sees how it turned out.
Brian

ya looks awesome bpull. im sure you saw my pics the first xenon overlay I did with 2k. I just about died when I walked back into the garage and saw that. yours looks very nice

4 months later
#118 8 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Picked up two cans, going to give my old High Hand a base coat before starting touchup.

I would think you would want to touch up then coat. Any reason why you would want a base coat then touchup ?

#124 8 years ago

Anybody have any pics of waterslides they have done and then cleared over them ? I was wondering how visible they are after clearing ? Do they blend in pretty good or do they stick out like a sore thumb ? I guess it depends how good you are at doing them too. Has anybody ever done an 8 /12 x 11 waterslide ? Like full page ? Or is that too much to try and line up ?

#140 8 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

how did you clear over this overlay? i am looking to do that very soon.

I cleared it with spraymax . on an overlay make sure the first couple of coats is very light. then a heavy 3rd and 4th. if you read the whole post I think there a pics of my first overlay that I did a heavy first coat and it wrinkled up bad. it will look dull the first light coats but the heavy coat will make it clear again.

#148 8 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

How does the overlay look today? still just as good?

looks great, not a scratch or dent or even a dull spot on it. It doesn't get a lot of play, Id say it has probably 75 to 100 plays on it. But I don't forsee any problems in the future. I did use brand new balls when I installed the playfield which is important.

#149 8 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Also does this separate from the pf at ball drop areas? Have seen this happen on a field that was cleared with automotive clear...

I haven't had any separation at ball drops, or slingshots, or anywhere on the playfield.

2 months later
#155 8 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

People who have used spraymax. Are your playfield 100% flat after many months?
I can see where my inserts are on one of my playfields if I look from a very low angle and I wonder if I did not let it cure long enough before sanding (30 days), used to little product? Or something is different with this product? I have not worked with 2k before spraymax.

Mine is as flat as when I first sprayed it, but keep in mind mine was over an overlay which im sure helps make it smooth and flat.

1 month later
#167 8 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Adventure" he says - sheesh!

I know exactly how you feel. even tho mine was a different situation. (see xenon bottom of page 1)

8 months later
#210 7 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Thanks. I applied two cans, very thick and was happy with the results.
Did a small correction, then tried to spray the remainder of a recently popped can and it went on too dry and it lost luster.
I ordered another two cans, but figure one should be enough to get it back to a nice finish.
______
Has anyone tried the semi matte or matte finishes of Spraymax? I thought about toning down a too glossy cabinet redecal with the semi-matte. I ordered a can or two of it, so hopefully it will go over cabinet decals without damaging. Figure I will try a small test area first.

make sure you see my post on the first page about spraying over decals and overlays.

3 months later
#254 7 years ago

I take an old poster or some butcher paper and attach it to the playfield before I put the overlay on and poke holes in the paper where all the small holes are. then after the overlay is on I line my paper up again and poke the holes with something sharp. I think this kind of helps any water trapped under the overlay to get air and dry instead of sitting under there and soaking into the wood. then I clear and poke them through again. Or drill the larger ones. I think the most important part is making a template, once the overlay is on and cleared it can be tough to find those holes sometimes.

#256 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickedbass:

Question.
So I just sprayed my PF. Light first coat heavy second coat. I'm noticing orange peal. Do I sand then spray a final coat?
Or spray final coat over orange peel then sand buff?
Thanks for any advice

I would block sand lightly with 1000 grit wet or dry sandpaper. sounds like too heavy of a second coat or sprayed too closely .

1 month later
#277 7 years ago
Quoted from simplykind:

Also, im wondering if any of you guys have tried clearing over decals. I would like to use the pinbot decal set for the maze section(commonly worn) and perhaps a few inserts. If so, would you go with non-laminated then?

see the bottom of page one and what happened to my xenon overlay. But it can be done. Ive cleared over both matte laminate and glossy laminate with no problems. The matte laminate is kind of frosted looking over inserts but once you clear it it turns clear like glass.

6 months later
#328 6 years ago
Quoted from JLebowski:

Is it ok to use the SprayMax on a bare playfield prior to applying an overlay? Then clearcoat over the top creating an overlay "sandwich". I'm most concerned about the ability of the SprayMax to adhere properly to the bare wood playfield prior to the overlay application.

If you use spraymax before the overlay make sure and wait at least a couple weeks if not more before you install the overlay. When I did my comet I only waited 4 or 5 days before I installed the overlay and about 4 days later I had millions of tiny air bubbles under the overlay. I think the clear was not done gassing and the overlay just trapped the gas under it. Even tho it felt dry when I peeled the overlay off it had a strong chemical smell from the clear. I know you always have a few bubbles but I had to remove it and start over. The second time I waited a month before I installed the overlay and had no problems.

1 month later
#371 6 years ago

ya sweep the floor good. I like to wet it down with the hose. it helps keep the dust from getting kicked up walking around and floating around and landing on your playfield.

1 month later
#472 6 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

I see a few people asking about the "semi-matte" SprayMax 2K. Anyone tried it?
I have an EM playfield to clear and thinking this might suit it better than the gloss.

I don't think you'd want to use matte on a playfield

#483 6 years ago
Quoted from quinntopia:

This has been mentioned several times in this thread, but I think it's important to repeat. Unlike traditional HVLP spray guns, SprayMax does not allow you to apply an even, thin coat.
The best you can do is a thin "orange peel" coat. If your like me that seems wrong.
But I think it's okay. I think multiple coats of this thin "orange peel" will ultimately turn out okay because you will ultimately sand it and apply thicker coats. That seems like others experience.
It feels weird because it looks pretty bad, but I don't see any way around it. I think this is mostly a challenge for clearing over decals, so if you aren't doing decals this isn't as critical (see my previous post!).
Anyone else want to confirm or add to this particular behavior with SprayMax 2k?

I agree , I usually do 3 or 4 thin coats on an overlay and it looks like crap for the first can of clear. Rough with orange peel and dull. But by the 2nd can I do a good medium coat and then a good thick coat. The last overlay I cleared didn't even have to sand when I was done, it was like glass. That's too bad about yours, I hate coming back to look and seeing that. The rest of the playfield looks so nice. But I learned my lesson the hard way too. lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, WI
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider boydsc331.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spraymax-2k-auto-clear-in-a-can-club?tu=boydsc331 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.