(Topic ID: 109931)

The SprayMax 2K Auto Clear in a Can Club!

By Curbfeeler

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1476 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1477 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1479 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1480 (resized).jpeg
P3280001 (resized).JPG
Pinside_forum_8094523_2 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7738777_3539409 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0282 (resized).jpg
IMG_4646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0115 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0116 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231124_033122528 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230910_203703295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053116598 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053126861 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin_Fandango.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

4 weeks later
#1336 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I haven't tried it personally, but if the surface prep is done correctly, I can't see why it wouldn't work. I would wet sand it with 600, check for shiny spots, clean it well, and give it a shot. That's my plan anyways for a spare Meteor playfield I have kicking around that I used for some tests while restoring my Trident playfield. I have a leftover spray2k can and was thinking about using it on that.

600 seems a bit too much. I would lightly sand starting with 800 just in case the coarser grit telegraphs once the clear shrinks?
What do you guys think?

#1346 2 years ago

Is rapid prep made by the same company that makes the other one to remove mylar?

#1353 2 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

These are the two I have used.
[quoted image]
It was the first time I used the adhesive remover and it worked great. I had a bunch of mylar to remove and previously I had used an alcohol/flour method which was a f'ing mess. I also used goo-gone but it seemed to have more of a residue. This one smells a little like goo-gone so probably has a citrus something in it.

I have used actual lemon essential oil to remove stickers my daughter laid down on a hardwood floor, and to my surprise, the sticker came off rather quickly, with no residue so I am wondering what other chemicals these have....

#1355 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Die back is the shrinkage of the clearcoat as the solvents evaporate and it continues to harden.
The results of dieback are sunken grooves around inserts, and telegraphing of imperfections from the original surface to the new surface.
It sounds horrible but it generally is minimal with 2K and only noticable if you are super anal.
That however is about 90% of the people on pinside including myself

even brand new games, have die back. Just look closely around inserts and you will see it.

1 week later
#1394 2 years ago

I dont have access to naptha where I live. It is banned here and really do not want to experiment with camp fuel to see what happens.

All that to say, can I just use rapid prep followed by rapid tac and get spraying?

#1403 2 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

You can buy naphtha at Sherwin-Williams on Clyde Ave. I got a can from there.

how long ago was that? I recently went to a different Sherwin Williams in Kanata and they did not have it and they told me they cannot get it. Could be just that store/management?

#1406 2 years ago

I will give them a call, if that fails, can one of you sell me a 1/4 gallon ? I can bring my own bottle and collect it. PM if you can. thanks

#1414 2 years ago

I have been following HEP here on pinside because I love his work and because I like to pick up the little details as he goes, it helps me learn and improve my pinball fixing skills.

All that to say, he recently said that adhesion promoter should always be used when clearing a PF. I am not questioning his word as his work speaks for itself and he is a professional painter by trade.

All that to say and because this is a canned product, how can the ‘adhesion’ be promoted when using this product?

Thanks

#1420 2 years ago

So cromax is sprayed before the can?
Or is the promoter mixed with the clear?

In this case it would not work with this product due to the method of application/can.

Just a bit confused

3 weeks later
#1452 2 years ago

How many coats does the manufacturer of 2K recommend?
Been following a very popular restorer who said that more than 2 coats is not only a waste of time but also not recommended as the chemical is not meant to bond to multiple layers, or in his own words, 'there is not a single 2K clear coat manufacturer that recommends more than 2 coats'. Not questioning his work, nor word as he is for me the best of the best in restoring but I will not mention his name to avoid starting a debate or forum drama.

With that said, I keep seeing people doing 3-4-6 layers of this stuff...

what does the manufacturer recommend?

#1458 2 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

I am not sure why you guys keep interjecting my process and knowledge in this thread but the thing you must know is that I don’t use spray max or rattle cans so the process and materials I use have no carryover here.
Anything you know or do with Spraymax is perfectly fine and correct as long as it works.
The materials I use are sprayed through a 1.4 fluid tip they are catalyzed high solids and build much quicker and heavier as a result.
Even then though there will be instances where I myself have to deviate from my own preferred two coat net. Net being the key word here. Doing that now on a SOF playfield but it’s out of need not a regular practice.
Hope that clears it up so you can do your thing with your materials and get the results you are looking for without debating it against something completely different.

thanks for that, sorry, I keep using you as example for things, it is just because you put out the best work that I have seen in this industry and that is what I am aiming for!

#1464 2 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

The technical data sheet for SprayMax 2K shows a dry film thickness of 40 μm from one can on about a playfield-sized area (how convenient!).
This is about 2 thousandths of an inch. A sheet of copy paper is about 100 μm thick.
Something to keep in mind if trying to level a playfield by spraying successive cans.

Allow me to understand this better.
What total thickness are we aiming for after two-three coats (or when it is flat).

I have worked with paint, automotive paint that is and have extensive experience wet sanding and buffing off scratches off. All that to say, a thin film of clear can endure a lot of sanding -reasonably done- before you go through it. Technique is important.

Are you suggesting that sanding between coats must be done with care due to the thickness of this material?

1 week later
#1484 2 years ago
Quoted from rdrapeau3171:

Well, I may be safe. I ordered two cans back on May 21, 2020. I had found one of the cans started leaking about 2 months ago on the bottom so I tossed it. I am going to write to the manufacturer with the code to make sure per what they recommend below...
Here is what I found on the manufacturer's website...guess I'll be sending them the codes to my cans:
How can you tell if the can can still be used?
By the weight of the can and the audible mixing balls in conjunction with the production date that is stated in a code on the base of the can, on the knurled edge of the can or in the can dome. The shelf life of a 1K aerosol can is 5 years, the shelf life of a 2K aerosol can is 3 years. Please send us the product designation and, if possible, the item number and code so we can establish this.

thanks for sharing this.

1 month later
#1507 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Cabinet does too.
Note the brighter yellow - there are a number of different colours on Taxi cabinets. My headbox is brighter than my cabinet for example (really noticeable on the back of the pin) Could well have been made by two different companies at the time.
rd[quoted image]

how many can did you use for the cab?

I am gearing up to get this done in the spring. I am not sure what mask to buy for spraying clear, and want to make sure I am wearing the right 3M filter for the task.

#1513 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

No cans on the cab.
This was a full rebuild of a water damaged cabinet that had been in storage for years.
Cabinet was stripped down completely, new bottom added, painted in 2k, and cabinet decals applied.
Lots of work! But came up pretty good.
rd[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

always wondered how to remove the bottom panel? isn't it proved and inserted on the side of the cab? Really curious if you want to share the process!

3 weeks later
#1530 2 years ago

I recently played a game clearcoated with this stuff. The ball glides as if it was freshly waxed, better than a new NIB Stern, no exaggeration.
Super slick and seems to make a extremely hard surface too.
Very impressed!

2 weeks later
#1537 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I sand and buff so that its not too slick and gives the wax something to stick to.
Too slick and the balls dont roll, they just shoot straight or fire like on a bowling ally.
The game geometry changes a bit.
But its just what I like, you dont have to do it at all.

I played a game that was done with this stuff and was very slick, it felt like playing on a game a PF protector, same effect. The game plays very fast.
I dont think it changed anything else other than that in my opinion.

I am thinking that if you sand it, you would have to go up to 3000 then polish, so it will be slick anyway. Also playing thousand of times will eventually wear the clear, due to the natural abrasion of the ball.

All that to say, I would not mind if it is super slick at the beginning, in fact, I prefer a 90s game to play as fast as possible as they are still slower than modern games.

#1540 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

No sand, no buff.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

If you guys are going to buff, I have seen HEP use a rotary polisher with no issues but that is because he has lots of experience doing it.
I would instead use a D/A with forced rotation, like a flex or anything with force rotation. Much safer, you will never go through the clear and will most likely take 10 times longer overheat.
I have solid experience polishing paint and forced rotation also leaves a much nicer finish, just takes a hair longer than a rotary.

#1542 2 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

I've used a 6 inch random orbit
polisher from wen. I'm always worried I'm gonna burn through on final polish.
I actually think I started to on my meteor I just finished.
What should I be wary of not to burn through.
Or should I just freaking hand polish.
I just recleared my flash and will be sanding and then polishing.
Thx

You have to be really bad at polishing to burn paint with a D/A.
I used a flex with force rotation to polish high end cars after wet sanding the paint.
Force rotation is the key word here. A random orbital with no force rotation is a dated tool that will produce some result in 10-20x the time forced rotation does.

Hope that helps now back to more clear coating!

4 months later
#1588 1 year ago

Maybe the whole respirator mask / iso conversation is more of a 'cover my a$$' on the mask manufacturer than actually whether the mask is capable of filtering iso or not?

http://chess-safety.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/0406_respirators_isocyanates_spray_painting.pdf

#1595 1 year ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

I wet sand up to 1500 or 2000 grit then use my Porter-Cable DA polisher with Meguiars M105 and finish with M205.
Find I have to polish pretty long and really apply pressure to get rid of all scratches. Am I waiting too long before polishing or is this just the way it is?

that is because you are using a very VERY weak DA free spinning polisher, you will polish with that DA but it will take VERYYYYY LOONG to achieve the same results you would with a force rotation DA but in 1/10th of the time. It really is the way to go.

Do not use that, instead, sell it and spend a little more in a professional tool like a FLEX 3401 or anything force rotation from Makita or other brand name. If you You will not burn through the paint with a DA force rotation

I have hundreds of hours behind a polisher and that DA you are using is just a very poor choice if you valuate your time. Y
Once you try force rotation you will understand.

A rotary polisher is the next step but it requires excellent technique and it is really not required for a one off like we do. HEP uses a rotary and that is fine, but you need to understand that beast well if you are going to use it.

#1597 1 year ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

It’s model 7424XP. Maybe I’ll upgrade!

Yup, the most common one. This machine is great when you want to polish something every weekend by removing the absolute minimum clear. Because it is free spinning you cannot and should not add any pressure or it stalls.
It will polish but it is just too slow for the amount of polish you need to do, which is a lot to try to come back from this amount of haze/scratch removal.

You will thank me once you do switch over! The flex is an awesome polishing machine.

1 month later
#1623 1 year ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Yes I used sanding sealer. But not enough apparently to fill all of the grain. Live & learn!

I have seen HEP using a pad 'interface pad' in between the sand paper and the machine. This is a common practice according to my conversation with him, a quick exchange we had over YouTube a few months back. Super helpful.

This allows the paper to flex under crevasses and odd shapes or uneven surfaces, this allows the paper to reach the spaces that are below the highest cleared part of the pf.

I am not sure if what I see in the pictures are non-sanded parts of the PF but if they are not, an interface pad will solve that.

3 weeks later
#1644 1 year ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Dang....
Doing what I hope is final sanding after 3 cans....burned thorugh the clear and paint on an edge of the playfield with the orbital sander at 1000 grit, maybe I tipped it a bit.
It is almost completely covered by a wooden side rail, maybe a 1" sliver will be visible if you stand at the far edge of the machine and look down. It's maybe 1/8" wide at the edge of the playfield so the ball will never touch it.
I'm thinking "best is the enemy of the good" at this point and will do a little touch-up after I polish the playfield. Still wavering but not sure I want to touch it up and spray a fourth can.

Do it.
It is bothering you enough to post about it.
It would keep up at night. Lol I know the feeling.
Do it. Deal it with. Come out stronger “I did that” and feel good about it.

#1649 1 year ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

This is a “reproduction” playfield I cut and painted with stencils and airbrush. Fun project!

This is amazing. Really well done.

1 month later
#1704 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

1) Purchased through Amazon.
amazon.com link »
Enough to do several hundred game inserts.
2) 2K was final, just used for leveling the inserts.
I do have a test title I'l like to spray with DiamondCoat and see how it comes out.

What is this diamond coat?
Looks like a brush on type product

#1706 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

See Amazon link above.
Its a single stage clear product which can be brushed, sprayed or rolled. A few people have done complete playfields with a roller which is where it first caught my attention. I'm using it to level inserts but will spray at least one playfield to see how it works.

very interesting, I am curious on the compatibility of this under a 2k clear.

#1708 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

There you go, its exactly what I did.
[quoted image]

looks great, I had seen them. I am not an expert by any means but would these 2 bond to each other or is there a change that the 1k and 2K might eventually ghost ?

#1723 1 year ago

I am surprised some of you did not know about the torch trick, it goes to show how a lot of these skills are transferable from other hobbies...

I got 'roasted' in another thread by a couple pinsidesr when I mentioned that I use both skills from the 'auto bodywork' and 'woodworking' and they started a witch hunt against me as to how I was going to cause people to 'damage' their games... I know how to work paint and have use some woodworking skills to workaround other issues as well...
The torch trick I learned when I built a table for our house and had to use epoxy to fill some holes.

I see a lot of wive tales in this hobby, for example, people continuing to use a plastic polishing compound to 'clean' playfields, and when challenged with facts they just react negatively because 'this is how is had been done for 20 years' . Then you wonder why a 10 year old PF is covered in scratches and looks very cloudy....

Anyway, rant over! the torch does work!

#1731 1 year ago

So what finish do you use for a pf? Matte or glamour?

1 month later
#1744 1 year ago
Quoted from Chrimeg:

Well waited another few months and sanded the clearcoat again hoping to rid some of the dieback. Seemed successful enough that I feel I won't need to spray another layer on it.
Just finished Novus 2 and till some really fine scratches if I direct the light different ways but nothing I'm overly concerned about.
I sanded and repainted the rails then Krylon clear spray over them. Rails are back in place and in the process now of cleaning the playfield before waxing. Bought some Chemical Guys 3X Hardcore Carnauba paste wax. Never used wax before so see how that goes...
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I respectfully want to ask the following, since we are in a painting thread:

Why do you polish clearcoat with a polish designed for plastic?
I think personally is a very poor choice, to get clear coat to shine properly you can do better and achieve better results if you use compounds formulated in compound or polish form or something even better: like optimum spray polish that grinds down to finer grit as you polish.

You will get a much better shine than using novus which is really not formulated to cut clear coat.

I dont polish the clear coat of my vehicle with novus, why would I polish the same clear on my pinball with novus.

I personally think novus is just a wives tale that has been passed down over yhe years ans people dont know better and xontinue using it. It is very gritty and therefore cleans due to its abrasiveness, wipe a cloth with it on your Cc by hand and with thr same flashlight you are using now shine a light on your pf and get ready for “swirl galore”. Trust me.
I dont polish anything that needs clarity (like clearcoat does) by hand. Not even Mr Miyagui can achive q swirl free surface by hand because it would take centuries, we get tired and apply too much pressure, results: more awirls, more clear coat is lost and poor results.
Enter the polisher machine: it is capable of polishing anything, faster, removing less materi than by hand and more clarity even when using the wrong chemical (novus)

If I am wrong please educate me in the art of doing anything pinball with novus, people seem to like this plastic polish compound.
That said, I have hundreds of hours fixing clear coat and for the same reason we dont use tooth paste (also a polisher) we would not use novus.
In other works, toothpaste would also work but it is not formulated to cut clearcoat just like novus is not either.

Here is a much better alternative, your beautiful PF and hours of hard work deserve it:

https://optimumcarcare.com/product/optimum-hyper-polish

#1747 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

Ignorance mostly. I’ve had a hard time learning about polishing in general and I’m still not great at it. If you make us a YouTube video I will watch it! Never heard of optimum hyper, good tip.

I will when I clear coat the lw3 pf I will be working on. But it will be a while.

I will write something here in thr meantime ans can probably just help you by learning a little of what your current process is like.

But always, the principle is thr least aggressive pad for the surface.

More to it later, but tell me a little of what chems and machine you are using and I can guide you.

#1751 1 year ago
Quoted from Chrimeg:

Pin_Fandango yes I'm always open to trying something new.
I don't use novus 2 as a cleaner. Its used more to help reduce some of the fine scratches left behind by sanding etc. After I've sanded with 3k grit I used Novus 2 and it does help with some of the finder scratches. I don't know if there is a way to remove all scratches truthfully as everything we use has some sort of abrasives that just get finer.
You are absolutely right though. I'm certain there are alternatives we could all be using. In most cases people can only use what available in their area to purchase and what they can afford. Dolphine Glaze is perfect example of that. Great for filling holes on the playfield. However, not available in my area and if I were to buy it online. Its well over $150+ .... so bondo it is. Bondo works but may not be as good as the glaze but its what I can get at a reasonable price in my location.
I think everyone in this community is open to alternatives. Nothing is set stone and some stick with what has proven to work. That's what this community for...helping each other in the hobby trying to keep the older machines going.

thanks,

polishing is not that complicated, but knowing the basics and breaking it down to simple principles is what you need you understand, once you do, then it is not anymore about removing scratches but about material removal.

The grit in the compound makes cuts and swirls, hundreds and hundred of this fine swirls will eventually all match up and make the surface flat. Polishing is like a very fine sanding process that can happen in many different ways depending on the tool you use (rotary, dual action, by hand).
a rotary polisher only rotates in circles and heats up the paint really fast, in the wring hands it will cut through clear quickly specially when polishing an angle.

The DA is like a rotary, but slower and while it also rotates in a circular motion it also does it randomly (although always on the same randomness) and this helps in keeping the heat down, it is easier to polish and renders often times, better results than a rotary (if the rotary is used wrong can left ghosting behind).

The DA is slower, A LOT slower and will take a 30-40 session to polish a PF done at 3000 grit.

when you are polishing you are basically sanding again but this time things are getting flattened, this gives you the clarity to see through the clear coat again.

For those of you worried about burning the clear, the DA is the best. You really have to be a bonehead to burn the paint. The rotary is very safe here too considering the surface is flat so if you keep you hand steady and fast, and check for heat you will be ok. I would personally use the rotary now.

Pads and chemicals needed:

here is where the art is at. You want to combine these 2 according to the type of clear you cutting. The aggressiveness of this combo will determine everything els
your cutting time and material removed and final results (clarity). The clarity will only be as good as your chemical used, if the chemical can only break down to 1000 grit or 2000 grit or else. I think optimum renders 6000 grit at the end of the polishing cycle and starts at about 1200.

The goal is: remove the absolute minimal paint and obtain 98% clarity (you will never know when 100% is reached) but once you are happy you stop.
Happy for me is: no more swirls, the surface is perfect. There are no visible scratches.

If you had a metal substrate you can measure your paint thickness before and after, but since we work with wood you can't. You don to know how much material you are removing here, but in my experience, with a DA, the removal is negligible.

There isn't a fast rule to know what combo of liquid and or paste and pad you need to use, so you will have to try it.
Once you polish the paint and measure your time/results you will know whether you are cutting too fast or too slow.

That said...
For a PF already sanded up to 3000 or 5000 (or any number after 1000 grit) you do not want to use compound. Compound is used for old paint that has been exposed to the elements, bird dropping and has TOO many imperfections so you want to give yourself a good base to polish off. You would otherwise polish all the imperfections to 100% clarity, but the imperfections would remain and the scratches would still be visible. You would end up with a really good clarity but a lot of light swirls and bird droppings would be actually popping out as well (we are talking paint on cars here, therefore the paint droppings example

So, for your PF, once you have sanded it and it is evenly sanded (this step is crucial) you proceed to use POLISH (not compound).
You then tried your softest pad and give it a whirl. Are you on DA? criss cross pattern, you move really slow with a DA and I mean this, less than 5 inches in a 1 thousand -2 thousand - 3 thousand rhythm, If you are going faster than this, flash news: you will be polishing that surface for an eternity. The DA needs a little time to work the surface, go slower than your think you should, keep moving.

You do a criss cross pattern, overlapping all passes, up down left to right, about 6 times. You then measure your results. Are you progressing?
If ou are not progressing, then the pad is wrong (too soft). Get a new pad that is harder.
Try again. One you figure out your pad then you do not have to do this again unless you change your clear coat.

Simple.

Rotary is the same except that you move a lot faster, you do not stay on the same spot and the motion is steady and medium-fast depending on the pad you use.
Anything wool= MOVE FAST.
anything that is foam is very very very approachable. Use foam.

Whether you use a DA or rotary, do no use your body weight to polish the surface, you only use your hands to keep the polisher FLAT. You are not pushing it into the paint, if you are, then the PAD is wrong. your hand weight is just enough to keep it flat.

How do I know how much pressure? this is simple, flat is flat, if the pad is deforming outward you are pushing it in. If the polisher is walking aways then it is not flat. you will figure this out quickly.
You want the pad to work with you and not work for the pad.

Polishing is really rewarding when done right because your realize the potential the paint had once it achieves its clarity to the max. In the case of paints with pearls is really nice to see those shine again, and a good polished clear returns the true paint colours that are otherwise hidden behind an opaque lens (clear with a poor clarity or swirled up).

These are things that I have done to my own vehicles, and clients vehicles while fixing the paint before installing other paint protectants. Merely as a hobby that it eventually turned into a business, lol like most of the hobbies I enter into. Apparently it is an ADHD thing I have been told. I am no longer in the detailing world because I have other priorities and my only hobby is pinball, lol so there is that. But it was nice to use these skills into this hobby.

Last, but not least:

your polish liquid/cream. the clarity you achieve will be determined by this product. Novus will never have the clarity of any clear polishing product because it just can't, it is probably 1000 grit max.

Might as well use any polish, but if you only have Novus go ahead, use it. It will polish, just do not expect it to be amazingly shiny and if it is, congratulations, your prep work PRIOR to novud paid off. anything would have polished that surface the same, including water.

The polish cream I recommended earlier is exceptionally good and easy to work with. It is my go to always.
3m product is also excellent, but to get good THE BEST results you need to go through the 3 steps or it otherwise won't get you the results you want. The optimum cream breaks down as you polish and it does everything in 1 step unlike the 3m product. Optimum is cheaper and perfect for this application.

Anything is better than Novus, please stop using it. lol

#1753 1 year ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Novus 2 is a excellent product to use as one of the polishing stages, its not the best for the last stage as its still too course. I finish off with a 3 stage automotive polish after the Novus 2.

It is likely acting as a compound, in which case you are good to use just a proper compound that will render better results imho.

#1756 1 year ago
Quoted from usafstars:

I'd be very interested in learning more about getting a hazy mylar back to as close to new as possible. Any tips or step by step process would be greatly appreciated.

same principle I explained just a few posts back. the benefit of polishing plastic is that you can polish it for an eternity and you will never cut through.

#1764 1 year ago
Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

The Meguiars G3500 is a very good alternative to a standalone dual action unit. For $50, you attach it to your cordless drill. The compound/polishing/waxing pads will cost another $50. Just finished a Spaymax clearcoated playfield with it. Took out all the fine scratches with ease. And just so much cheaper than a standalone unit. The compounding pads are thick and resistant to tearing up, which is nice when using on a playfield because of all the bulb holes that pads sink into and shred apart.
[quoted image]

This is what I use for regular maintenance.
Super convenient

#1767 1 year ago
Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

Why do you have both a standalone DA and this DA drill attachment?

This little is great for regular maintenance and cleaning. I often take the bottom section off and polish with this.
This attachment is perfect for this.

The da does not fit.

The da comes out if I need to polish a pf p it side the game

#1770 1 year ago

Pads come in different colours just as guide. They have different rigidness to them, the more rigid the more aggressive it is.
whenever you are searching for the Polish/Pad combo to find your cut, only change one element at the time (unless yo were totally off at first) but the rule of thumb is the least aggressive method first (to remove less clear, because you only have so much of it until there is none).
So always have 2 or 3 different foam pads, these are always found in detailing shops. You have to shop at a professional detailing shop, do not expect to find this at walker nor Home Depot, these things do not exist there. These pads are specifically made for detailing expensive cars.
that said amazon might have some but often times a good detailing shop (if you go down the rabbit hole of detailing you can go nuts, lol) they will have everything you need.

Quoted from radium:

Wow, this is great info thank you. I see a lot of mistakes I’ve been making. I think I also see why I was having such mediocre results trying to work acrylic speaker panels with a DA… was moving way too fast.
One question… When you say “a harder pad”, what would that be if you’re using foam already? Like if I try the optimum polish, what’s a good foam pad to start with? Or is there some set of pads on Amazon that are good to start with?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 9.95
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin_Fandango.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spraymax-2k-auto-clear-in-a-can-club?tu=Pin_Fandango and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.