(Topic ID: 109931)

The SprayMax 2K Auto Clear in a Can Club!

By Curbfeeler

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1476 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1477 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1479 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1480 (resized).jpeg
P3280001 (resized).JPG
Pinside_forum_8094523_2 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7738777_3539409 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0282 (resized).jpg
IMG_4646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0115 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0116 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231124_033122528 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230910_203703295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053116598 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053126861 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MurphyPeoples.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#84 9 years ago

Curb - thanks for keeping up with this. One thing I'd like to see in the post are the Temps that people sprayed at versus the results they have gotten. That would be valuable information for all.
Murph

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from PinStef:

Just finished my T2 using Spraymax(Eastwood).

Fantastic Job! Thanks for the report. So you sprayed at around 60 degrees Fahrenheit with the Eastwood Spraymax. That's good to know!

#93 9 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

20°C is 68°F so is it not more like around 70? (I also spray around 20°C with success)

Yeah, that was me fat fingering the keyboard and not reviewing my post.

10 months later
#157 8 years ago
Quoted from selmo:

I'm curious about the logistics of professional clear coating -- doing a thin coat then touch up paint, decals, etc. and then several thicker coats. Do you pay to have it coated twice?

My local body shop quoted me a total of $175 (up front) for two quick coats, which i then took back home and painted my touch ups over, and then brought back for two more thicker coats a couple of weeks later. But the logistics of building my playfield jig and transporting it back and forth was a PAIN. Thus I intend to 2PAC on my own from here out.
Murphy

#162 8 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

I've used this approach before with my Getaway PF; went off without a hitch and the PF looks like glass.
I was even more careful this time; can someone tell me what I did wrong:

Questions: Where did you start spraying? At the top or the bottom of the playfield? Because it's worse at the top - then it gets intermittent - then better (but not perfect) at the bottom.

If it was atmospheric, you'd have the same crappy results all over. So that's out. I'm thinking it's not "what" was on the playfield either - due to the worse/less worse/bad flow.

If it was SprayMax, I'd call the regional sales guy in your area. I've talked with them before, and they're pretty good. I had a questions about "shelf life" as a can I bought recently had a late 2014 date. I was assured it was fine - but we'll see.

Yes, Sand and have courage. I've been there before - hang in there. You can make this right.
Murphy

#170 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yep naphtha is good stuff, but it does not do too good on Silicone all by itself.

Well get ready then, because Finish 1 FT200 is 100% PURE V.M.+P. NAPHTHA.
You guys need to read the MSDS sheets.

http://gmgenvirosafe.com/MSDS/SWFT200.pdf
Murph

#172 8 years ago

Hammerhead, I'm going to throw my two cents in here one last time. Vid threw out "Silicone", and that was it. Word from down on high, God spoke. He's probably right. And I admire Vid, I read his posts with great interest and up vote quite often. However.... two cents from an old codger that has worked in wooden boat restoration for 20+ years: Step 1 after stripping clean a playfield? Wipe down with White Vinegar and then Melamine Foam with Isopropyl alcohol the devil out of it. This single step literally helps soften any minute amount of silicone on a playfield. Even "melt" it would be a term I'd use. Followed up a Step 2 of Naphtha cleaning in liberal amounts, the odds of silicone remaining are nil.

I know I'm opening myself up to criticism, but I have no reputation to protect. I've wrapped crappy silicone "fixes" by boat owners in a rag wet with White Vinegar and came back the next day and the silicone pealed off like pudding skin. I have to make sure there's no silicone residue as I need my epoxy to bond where the "fix" was.

BTW Vid, stop recommending polyester resin as a bonding agent. epoxy resin is much stronger and safer to use.
Murph

#174 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yeah, you have told me before.
I've got a few gallons of "Two Heads" by West and use that all the time too.
But when I tell people to use West Systems, they can't find it at the local Autoworks, then they email me because they can't use the Google.....then I have to search their state on West's website and find a local dealer for them......it's almost too much work.

I'm stupid and take for granted that everyone has a West Marine store in their state.

#180 8 years ago
Quoted from balzofsteel:

I asked a buddy who runs an automotive paint store about the spray can clear.
He isn't particularly impressed with the stuff. Listed off all the cons in the first post plus a couple I can't remember.
Of course, his first recommendation was a proper name-brand clear(with a splat of fisheye stuff) in a spray gun. Second choice was the same name-brand clear with same additive in a Preval Sprayer.
amazon.com link »

Holy crap. Those things are still around? I remember trying one in 1982. Never again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, WI
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vaudreuil-dorion, QC
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 64.99
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MurphyPeoples.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spraymax-2k-auto-clear-in-a-can-club?tu=MurphyPeoples and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.