(Topic ID: 109931)

The SprayMax 2K Auto Clear in a Can Club!

By Curbfeeler

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 979 posts
  • 166 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by PinballAir
  • Topic is favorited by 274 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 277 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20191013_193120390 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191013_192753339 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191013_135526545_HDR (resized).jpg
C360A9B6-D9FA-4A89-8ABB-892E161EB8E1 (resized).jpeg
D025B5D4-AFE5-4D37-9EF0-CB9EFD409ED1 (resized).jpeg
4AAC4F52-EAD2-4E62-9850-5BB931EFDB01 (resized).jpeg
0452D85A-3F06-4272-8276-0C0FADA8B2CF (resized).jpeg
F16B7B2A-D086-4C68-96B3-0CE794FADE5B (resized).jpeg
BDAE8F82-4466-4E23-B12D-F3B5F01DC404 (resized).jpeg
31c660f624f7fc717168aace21d4904b650a0f79 (resized).jpg
942EE499-86AB-4B3E-BD2E-7574BE1BA08F (resized).jpeg
ECF497B8-1C5D-4740-8602-B9C92AFDFC0F (resized).jpeg
CAE4BF6C-BDE5-4B4A-B4BA-4C554EF5ACF8 (resized).jpeg
AF5E6A4A-01B9-4BB1-AA8A-6973E96456BE (resized).jpeg
03bb81f24acd1af68e9f50fdc36e701a4188efcf (resized).jpg
55A499DB-C53D-4F86-8B60-44ECFF0ED469 (resized).jpeg

There are 979 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 20.
#951 8 days ago

You don't plan on sanding that flat to get the wrinkles out? Your post sounds like you want to just let it dry and then just spray it again. My apologies if I misunderstood

#952 8 days ago
Quoted from sohchx:

You don't plan on sanding that flat to get the wrinkles out? Your post sounds like you want to just let it dry and then just spray it again. My apologies if I misunderstood

so whats funny is the surface is as flat as can be, if you look from an angle it looks like glass, but that texture that you see seems to be under the surface. So it sounds like i need to sand it all off it thats the case?

#953 8 days ago

Screw it, ill just sand it with 800 tomorrow and lay another coat on friday if it works it works, if not im used to this not working out so whatever. I'll report back Saturday morning with good or bad news

#954 8 days ago

Can you put an opened can of 2k into the refrigerator to extend its life?

#955 8 days ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

Yes, some guys report putting it in the freezer for weeks too.

#956 8 days ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

I have half a can in the mini fridge in my basement

#957 7 days ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

Freezer would be best bet. But I would be shocked if lasted more than a few days. Its a chemical reaction occuring inside the can. Even if its still in liquid form, you are applying a material that is partly cured. I would think adhesion might be a issue but try and see. Only one way to find out.

#958 7 days ago

Putting an already mixed can in the freezer sounds like a penny wise pound foolish decision. I personally would not jeopardize hours of work just to save half of a $20 can of 2PAC.

#959 7 days ago

Yeah I didn't mean for like weeks or months, just like if you can get an extra day or two out of it.

#960 7 days ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

Yeah I didn't mean for like weeks or months, just like if you can get an extra day or two out of it.

That’s exactly what I was wanting to get out of it. Just enough buy more time.
On Tuesday as I did the saucer I also sprayed a test board to get the feel of the can. So I took that board and sanded it last night. Today I took my can from Tuesday out of the fridge and laid down an application the same way I did on Tuesday but instead of waiting 15 minutes between coats I only waited about five. Minus the impact craters in the wood from doing a drop test a few weeks ago this application looks like glass and has dried like glass too. So what I’ve learned here is this stuff can be laid down one day, sanded the next day and coats added on day 2 with no wrinkles or other issues.

Sanded after 1 day
0452D85A-3F06-4272-8276-0C0FADA8B2CF (resized).jpeg

3 passes 1 day after sanding.
BDAE8F82-4466-4E23-B12D-F3B5F01DC404 (resized).jpeg
Ignore the crater like mentioned before.
F16B7B2A-D086-4C68-96B3-0CE794FADE5B (resized).jpeg

#961 7 days ago

Saucer sanded with 800 grit and now I’ll give it 24 hours for the exposed sanded clear to dry and tomorrow I’ll finish this up. But tomorrow I’m using a new can. I’m not going to experiment with how long this refrigerator practice works.
4AAC4F52-EAD2-4E62-9850-5BB931EFDB01 (resized).jpeg

Edit after posting this I realized I should sand around that lip to give the new clear something to bite on to.

#962 6 days ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Saucer sanded with 800 grit and now I’ll give it 24 hours for the exposed sanded clear to dry and tomorrow I’ll finish this up. But tomorrow I’m using a new can. I’m not going to experiment with how long this refrigerator practice works.
[quoted image]
Edit after posting this I realized I should sand around that lip to give the new clear something to bite on to.

Question?
What are you trying to do with the center eject to a Bally Mata Hari?
Just curious.
Regards.

#963 6 days ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Question?
What are you trying to do with the center eject to a Bally Mata Hari?
Just curious.
Regards.

I restored a Mata Hari last year, had it clear coated. The clear ghosted over almost all the inserts and several other parts of the playfield. So I’m taking this extra blown out playfield and getting it ready for a hardtop.

This thread explains where painting the saucer black originally came from:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-i-ruin-my-playfield-by-accidentally-sanded-down-to-the-next-ply

This thread is for the full restoration:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-thought-she-was-a-dirty-girl-before-i-stripped-her-down

I’m only clearing the saucer and shooter lane because I’m not risking the same thing happening to the inserts again under the hardtop.

#964 6 days ago

I am going to bite the bullet and get a air system. I’ve tried several different masks and filters and I can still smell the stuff when I spray.

I was thinking of this one, not too expensive : Electric Constant Flow Supplied Air Fed Full Face Gas Mask Respirator System amazon.com link »

The tube is short, what is the point of a respirator system when you carry the filter around with you, why not just get a mask? I was thinking if I can put a 10-20 foot tube on it I can keep the intake outside the paint booth and be safe

#965 6 days ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I am going to bite the bullet and get a air system. I’ve tried several different masks and filters and I can still smell the stuff when I spray.
I was thinking of this one, not too expensive : Electric Constant Flow Supplied Air Fed Full Face Gas Mask Respirator System amazon.com link »
The tube is short, what is the point of a respirator system when you carry the filter around with you, why not just get a mask? I was thinking if I can put a 10-20 foot tube on it I can keep the intake outside the paint booth and be safe

That ought to do it!
I got the higher end respirator from Ace hardware. It’s was like $45. Has the pink filters. I don’t smell anything when I used this stuff or other spray paints prior to this. And I have an annoyingly great sense of smell. I hope this ace brand mask is working for me. Guess I’ll know in a decade.....

#966 6 days ago

Damn, this stuff is really that bad? I find it really onerous to have to gear up like that just to put a thin coat of clear on like 6 sq ft of wood.

#967 6 days ago

Yes. The stuff is really that bad. There was quite a lot of discussion on proper PPE in this thread several months ago. Please take good care when working with this chemistry.

#968 6 days ago

Yeah I'd rather risk raw-doggin' one of Charlie Sheen's ex's than breathe this stuff in

#969 6 days ago

Alright it’s done. Looks perfect minus the 2 pieces of dust that settled on it during the last coat. Nothing can ever be easy for me I swear.

C360A9B6-D9FA-4A89-8ABB-892E161EB8E1 (resized).jpegD025B5D4-AFE5-4D37-9EF0-CB9EFD409ED1 (resized).jpeg
#970 6 days ago
Quoted from mark532011:

For a couple hundred bucks more this one will last way longer and won't need to be modified... and won't suffocate you when the Chinesium-Ion battery dies: amazon.com link »

I also really like the blurb about FDA testing that they're really proud about receiving... The FDA doesn't test respirators. Amazing what they'll sell on Amazon.

#971 6 days ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Looks perfect minus the 2 pieces of dust that settled on it during the last coat

Sheeeet, no one but you will ever notice. Turned out great!

#972 6 days ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Sheeeet, no one but you will ever notice. Turned out great!

Lol thanks George! I’m such a cry baby.

#973 6 days ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I’m such a cry baby.

Naw, your just a perfectionist. It has taken me quite a while to accept very minute things like dust particles.

#974 6 days ago

So even though I only did a 4” square with this stuff I can see why everyone loves it. Minus the toxic dangers it’s a pretty affordable way for a common joe to clear a playfield and get some really nice results. It’s making me contemplate touching up the playfield in my Shangri La and giving it a go. That would have to be a spring project though. Pretty sure the temps are locked out of range after today.
What happens if you spray this stuff in the 40s and 50s? I’m just wondering the harm of laying down the coats, letting it set for about and hour and then bringing it in doors like I just did today?

#975 6 days ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

So even though I only did a 4” square with this stuff I can see why everyone loves it. Minus the toxic dangers it’s a pretty affordable way for a common joe to clear a playfield and get some really nice results. It’s making me contemplate touching up the playfield in my Shangri La and giving it a go. That would have to be a spring project though. Pretty sure the temps are locked out of range after today.
What happens if you spray this stuff in the 40s and 50s? I’m just wondering the harm of laying down the coats, letting it set for about and hour and then bringing it in doors like I just did today?

Don't bring it inside for months. It is still releasing harmfull gases

#976 6 days ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Don't bring it inside for months. It is still releasing harmfull gases

I think that might be a little over zealous, this stuff cures in a couple days and their website states the flash period is like 15 minutes. There’s a bit of a difference in smelling the product after it dries versus directly inhaling fumes from the aerosol.

#977 6 days ago

oh no.
This kind of talk will bring out the safety police.
Buckle up.

#978 4 days ago

Today was the first time I used this stuff, and I really like it. I have a HVLP setup for when I'm painting cars, but for something as small as a playfield I wanted to try something more convenient. I have to say... I'm really impressed with this!

I wanted to seal in all of the work I've done on a playfield out of a Grand Prix. After all of my touch-ups with acrylic paint, and the releveling of inserts. I picked up 2 cans off Amazon for $45ish.

With one can I was able to lay down 3 coats with the first being a really light one, and a recoat after a 15 minute flash time.

IMG_20191013_135526545_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20191013_192753339 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191013_193120390 (resized).jpg

These aerosols are awesome. Soooo much easier (no measuring, mixing, and cleaning).

I'm definitely going to get more.

-Paul

#979 2 days ago
Quoted from Pablito350:

These aerosols are awesome. Soooo much easier (no measuring, mixing, and cleaning).

I agree. I have everything needed to mix and spray but choose the 2K because it is quick and easy.
Nothing to store, nothing to clean.
Results are equal to anything that could be done with a gun and at $22 a can.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 26.50
Machine - For Sale
Olive Branch, MS
$ 89.99
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 289.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cumberland, RI
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Knoxville, TN
$ 149.00
$ 149.00
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 87.00
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 135.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
10,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 1,400.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 979 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 20.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside