(Topic ID: 109931)

The SprayMax 2K Auto Clear in a Can Club!

By Curbfeeler

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1476 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1477 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1479 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1480 (resized).jpeg
P3280001 (resized).JPG
Pinside_forum_8094523_2 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7738777_3539409 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0282 (resized).jpg
IMG_4646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0115 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0116 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231124_033122528 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230910_203703295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053116598 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231114_053126861 (resized).jpg
There are 1,908 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 39.
#801 4 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Amazon has a forced air breather set for $165. It is impractical as-is but I bet you could extend the hose to 20 feet or so so it’s outside the paint booth

Do not trust that cartridge, that's for sure. It's packed with the finest Chinesium filtration agent.

#802 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Do not trust that cartridge, that's for sure. It's packed with the finest Chinesium filtration agent.

Most definitely. But stick a 25 foot hose on it and have the end 15 feet away from the spray booth and you don’t even need a filter

#803 4 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Most definitely. But stick a 25 foot hose on it and have the end 15 feet away from the spray booth and you don’t even need a filter

For an extra couple hundred bucks you can get an even better one that won't suffocate you if the battery dies: https://www.amazon.com/Breathecool-Supplied-Respirator-System-tyvek/dp/B00GAFD5G0/ref=sr_1_7

#804 4 years ago

Guys... I wouldn't be spraying SprayMax if I was dropping a few hundo on a breathing mask. Ugh.. this is disappointing news. I already feel my brain cells dying. So there are no other options? And it sounds like not just glasses but sealed googles or a full face mask are needed?

#805 4 years ago

Did I stutter?

#806 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Did I stutter?

Well, I do have drain bramage now.

#807 4 years ago

I’m guessing your Low-cost option is to use a different product. Is there an “inferior to spraymax 2k but won’t kill you if you use it” thread?

1k seems like a possibility, not to hijack this thread but I see how it’s not as hard but no details on what that actually means for a pf...if it would work for 20 years instead of 100. Would that be adequate?

#808 4 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I’m guessing your Low-cost option is to use a different product. Is there an “inferior to spraymax 2k but won’t kill you if you use it” thread?
1k seems like a possibility, not to hijack this thread but I see how it’s not as hard but no details on what that actually means for a pf...if it would work for 20 years instead of 100. Would that be adequate?

There was a thread about this stuff called KBS diamond clear. Wishing there was more trial and error to it. Seemed like the perfect alternative.

#809 4 years ago

I have used varathane.
Not as toxic and is water base.
I clear coated a playfield with it and played the snot out of it for 10 years.
Down side is there is a tinge of yellow to it after 10 years .
Even at the beginning the colors are muted rather than deep and vivid.

#810 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Yes. You will need a brand new set of new OV+N95 cartridges for each single application of clear. For example, five coats over five days and a couple of dropper touch up sessions is going to be seven new pairs of cartridges. The chemical neutralization agent may be good at clearing some components for a whole day, but they are only effective against other ingredients for a short time, and then the agent is used up.
This is why everyone involved, from the pinheads at the top of the thread, to the respirator manufacturer, to the producer of 2K Auto clear all tell you straight up that you might as well go out and buy a supplied-air respirator, since it will last you many applications and will never expire.
From Nexreg (the manufacturer of 2K), here are the components of 2K Glamour, and beside it, the minimum cartridge requirement from 3M:
Dimethyl ether 39.70% : Supplied air or OV(Short life ONLY)
Acetone 20.11% : Supplied air or OV(Short life ONLY)
n-Butyl acetate 11.87% : Full mask OV
Hexamethylene diisocyanate homopolymer 6.18% : OV+N95
Xylenes (o-, m-, p- isomers) 3.21% : OV
Propylene glycol monomethyl ether acetate 1.21% : OV
Ethylene glycol monobutyl ether acetate 1.09% : OV
Ethylbenzene 0.8% : OV

This cannot be used with half masks, as the n-Butyl acetate is quickly absorbed through your eyes and exposed facial skin. n-Butyl acetate is known to cause acute(immediate) symptoms and damage to your central nervous system.
It causes immediate damage to your brain.

This cannot be used with OV cartridges alone.There must be an N95 filtration component due to the content of Hexamethylene diisocyanate homopolymer. This is essentially airborne uncured rubber. The N95 pre-filter separates the particles of this in the air before they clog up the OV cartridge. Using an OV cartridge alone will result in the cartridge almost immediately being gummed up with polymers, rendering it useless and allowing everything through.

Cartridges cannot be used more than 30 minutes after the seal is broken: Dimethyl ether and acetone exposure render OV cartridges useless shortly after initial exposure. 3M recommends supplied air for this reason:
They do not trust their own cartridges to help you for more than a few minutes. They would rather you be safe than sell you extra cartridges. It is that bad for you.

tl;dr: In conclusion, the minimum cartridge protection for any level of exposure to the 2K product, regardless of open air or in a booth, is full face mask coverage coupled with cartridges marked OV/N95. Do not install one OV and one N95 cartridge. They must match. They must be replaced every time you spray a new coat or touch up, and 30 minutes after opening. If this seems like too much expense and trouble, use a supplied air respirator system with a full mask facepiece.

Do you have a source for N-Butyl Acetate causing CNS and brain damage? Everything I am reading states respiratory irritation but no mention of potential CNS damage.

#811 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

I have used varathane.
Not as toxic and is water base.
I clear coated a playfield with it and played the snot out of it for 10 years.
Down side is there is a tinge of yellow to it after 10 years .
Even at the beginning the colors are muted rather than deep and vivid.

Do you have pictures of the yellowing? I have always been curious of how bad it actually yellows....

#812 4 years ago
Quoted from frisbez:

Do you have a source for N-Butyl Acetate causing CNS and brain damage? Everything I am reading states respiratory irritation but no mention of potential CNS damage.

Sure! You may have better luck searching for medical studies and other data if you look for n-butyl acetate under its alternate names: butyl ester, and butyl ethanoate.

Much of our understanding of n-butyl acetate's effects of acute CNS depression and chronic CNS damage is based on our understanding of other similar organic solvents. Because studies are incomplete for the n- isomer of butyl acetate, most data sheets will say only "Central Nervous System effects are anticipated. Follow PPE manufacturer recommendations" or some other such lawyerese to push the responsibility on workers to protect themselves against things that they have no understanding of. If positive damage results start to come back on this isomer, I feel like manufacturers will switch their product to a different solvent with little conclusive health information so they can put weasel words in SDS sheets again.

Here's a really basic place to start for general information listed about n-butyl acetate and other acetates so that you can work your way outward on alternate product names and chemical analogues: https://www.encyclopedia.com/science/academic-and-educational-journals/butyl-acetate

#813 4 years ago

I have an F-14 that I'm restoring right now and after reading all these posts about the effects of Spraymax I'm a bit reluctant to use it.

Originally I had planned on buying some N95/OV for my half masks coupled with some goggles and a full suit.but now I'm thinking I'll have to buy at least a Breathe-Cool unit as a SAR. That will run me at least $700CDN... I guess I can use it for other paint/sanding projects too though...

I think I'm going to look into that KBS Diamond Clear some more.

#814 4 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

I think I'm going to look into that KBS Diamond Clear some more.

Would be interested to know more

#815 4 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

There was a thread about this stuff called KBS diamond clear. Wishing there was more trial and error to it. Seemed like the perfect alternative.

KBS doesn't make their safety data sheets freely available on their web site unless you send them a request to identify yourself and ask for permission. That's a huge red flag to me. I asked anyway and I'll let you know what I find out.

In the application installations on their web site for the spray product, KBS does say the following: "Always use NIOSH/MSHA approved air supplied respirator." They don't even suggest a cartridge-based solution.

#816 4 years ago

Auto clear is nasty ****. It’s the one thing I would gladly pay someone else to do on a pinball restoration. If you are doing it yourself please take every precaution you can.

#817 4 years ago

How about using one of those tiny scuba tanks?

#818 4 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

Do you have pictures of the yellowing?

It is not as bad as it sounds.
The best way to describe it is: it looks like an older game.
This pic is after 10 years of use. I do not think it is any softer than 2k once it has cured.
The 2k makes the colors seem deeper and more vivid. Varethane does not enhance the colors at all.

100_2165 (resized).JPG100_2165 (resized).JPG
#819 4 years ago

I am not interested in the KBS spray product as it sounds like a full spray booth/air system needed as well, but the liquid stuff looks pretty safe, their demo application video shows a guy with roller and doesn’t even have a mask on. So I have a can of the stuff on the way and film some experiments on paper plates with brushing and rollering. I will post my results. Probably start another thread so it doesn’t distract from this one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&time_continue=222&v=wq0YsDXeOgQ

#820 4 years ago

They recommend a xylene thinner so volatiles are definitely involved. I've requested the roll-on SDS as well. I don't trust marketing videos, and I don't trust companies that put up obstacles to obtaining safety data. It's abnormal.

#821 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

They recommend a xylene thinner so volatiles are definitely involved. I've requested the roll-on SDS as well. I don't trust marketing videos, and I don't trust companies that put up obstacles to obtaining safety data. It's abnormal.

Yea the SDS is the first thing I went to look for too and it needed to be requested, which is super odd. I want to chalk it up to being a smaller company, but even still...

Curious how they'll respond.

#822 4 years ago

Alright, so I wish I could attach PDF documents to these comments, but I can't. Instead, I'll respond with the main components and 3M protection recommendations in two different posts below, the first for the roll on product and the second for the aerosol product. They are very different from each other and should not be used interchangeably.

One thing I noticed is that the SDS for both products has not been updated since 2016, and the roll-on product's SDS lacks information such as mandatory GHS pictograms. The product would likely have difficulty meeting Canadian requirements for workplace use, although I'm not sure what US requirements are. I do know our lungs are the same. Anyway, on with the show.

#823 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Alright, so I wish I could attach PDF documents to these comments, but I can't. Instead, I'll respond with the main components and 3M protection recommendations in two different posts below, the first for the roll on product and the second for the aerosol product. They are very different from each other and should not be used interchangeably.
One thing I noticed is that the SDS for both products has not been updated since 2016, and the roll-on product's SDS lacks information such as mandatory GHS pictograms. The product would likely have difficulty meeting Canadian requirements for workplace use, although I'm not sure what US requirements are. I do know our lungs are the same. Anyway, on with the show.

Images can be PDFs on Pinside, I've posted them that way before.......

#824 4 years ago

KBS Coatings DiamondFinish Clear (ROLL ON)

The manufacturer's health hazard statements:

Routes of exposure: Inhalation, Ingestion, Skin contact, Eye contact.
Inhalation: The vapor is slightly irritating to the eyes and the respiratory tract.
The substance may cause effects on the central nervous system.Exposure to high concentration of vapors may result in unconsciousness.
Ingestion: Swallowing the liquid may cause aspiration into the lungs with the risk of chemical pneumonitis. The symptoms of chemical pneumonitis do not become manifest until a few hours or even a few days have passed.
Skin: The liquid defats the skin, resulting in dry skin and irritation. Eye Direct contact with the eyes may result in an irritation and swelling.
Chronic: See section 11 for additional toxicological data. Repeated or prolonged skin contact may cause allergic contact dermatitis, with redness, blisters, cracking and swelling of the skin. Sensitization through skin contact.
The substance may have effects on the central nervous system and liver, resulting in impaired functions.

The manufacturer's PPE recommendations:

Eyes: Avoid contact with eyes. Use safety glasses and/or chemical splash goggles if splashes are possible.
Skin: Avoid repeated or prolonged skin contact. Wear overalls, rubber boots and impervious gloves. Remove protective clothing and wash exposed areas with soap and water prior to eating, drinking or smoking.
Respiratory: Use a respirator when airborne concentrations approach the ES (section 8). If using a respirator, ensure that the cartridges are correct for the potential air contamination (i.e. organic vapor) and are in good working order.

The manufacturer's component listing, and the 3M respirator requirement for vapours present:

Aliphatic Polyisocyanate 30-40% : Unlisted polyurethane component
Solvent Naphtha, light aromatic 20-30% : Full mask OV
Acrylic Resin 30-40% : Unlisted polyurethane component
n-Butyl Acetate CAS 123-86-4 1-2% : Full mask OV
Ethyl Acetate: Full mask OV

In conclusion: Although the manufacturer does not recommend a full face respirator, and their instructional and sales videos do not show anyone using a respirator for this product, this is contrary to their SDS. Their SDS recommends a respirator but does not specify full or half. 3M's respirator guide indicates that for the vapours emitted by this roll-on product, a full mask respirator with cartridges marked OV are sufficient for this use case. There is no N95 particulate filter, short-term use, or supplied air requirement indicated, and so the respirator requirements are less stringent than for 2K. Due to the potential short term CNS effects and chronic hepatoxicity and CNS toxicity, use of KBS DiamondFinish Clear Roll-on without appropriate barriers to body entry is never recommended.

DiamondFinish Clear SDS.pdfDiamondFinish Clear SDS.pdf
#825 4 years ago

KBS Coatings DiamondFinish Clear (AEROSOL)

The manufacturer's health hazard statements:

Signal word: Danger
Hazard statements: Extremely flammable aerosol. Contains gas under pressure; may explode if heated. Causes serious eye irritation. May cause an allergic skin reaction. May cause cancer. Suspected of damaging fertility or the unborn child. May cause drowsiness or dizziness. May cause damage to organs through prolonged or repeated exposure.

The manufacturer's PPE recommendations:

Hygienic protection: Immediately remove all soiled and contaminated clothing. Wash hands after use. Avoid contact with the eyes and skin. Do not eat or drink while working.
Breathing equipment: A respirator is generally not necessary when using this product outdoors or in large open areas. In cases where short and/or long term overexposure exists, a charcoal filter respirator should be worn. If you suspect overexposure conditions exist, please consult an authority on chemical hygeine.
Hand protection: Nitrile gloves.
Protective gloves. The glove material must be impermeable and resistant to the substance.
Eye protection: Tightly sealed goggles

The manufacturer's component listing, and the 3M respirator requirement for vapours present:

dimethyl ether 39.99% : Supplied Air or OV(Short Service)
78-93-3 methyl ethyl ketone 15.64% : Full face OV
108-65-6 PM acetate 14.57% : OV
108-94-1 cyclohexanone 8.28% : OV
108-88-3 Toluene 7.82% : OV
80-62-6 methyl methacrylate 0.12% : OV
64742-82-1 Naphtha (kerosene petroleum), hydrodesulfurized heavy 0.12% : OV/P95

In conclusion: This is a conundrum. The manufacturer says on their website that the aerosol product should never be used without a respirator, but the SDS goes out of their way to say that one is generally not needed. (WTF) It then lists a number of different ingredients to which there really is no safe amount to inhale. 3M's respirator guide indicates that, much like the 2K clear product, there are compunds present which will immediately shorten the life of an OV cartridge. For the vapours emitted by this roll-on product, a full mask respirator with cartridges simultaneously marked OV and P95 are sufficient for this use case when open new and sealed and replaced within 30 minutes of initial use. Due to known carcinogenicity, mutagenicity, and germ cell teratogenicity of this product's components, use of KBS DiamondFinish Clear Aerosol without appropriate barriers to body entry is never recommended, and there is no safety case to be made to use this product instead of 2K.
DiamondFinish Clear Aerosol SDS.pdfDiamondFinish Clear Aerosol SDS.pdf

#826 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Images can be PDFs on Pinside, I've posted them that way before.......

I am in your debt! Awesome. I never knew this was an option.

Here is the 3M respirator selection guide too, everyone. Never trust a chemical sales company to choose your PPE. Always cross reference the CAS number of a product's dangerous components with the people that make the cartridges to find out if they can actually protect you against the chemicals you're using.

Remember: Organic solvent exposure slows reaction times permanently and will make you a worse pinball player.

Respirator Selection Guide 2018.pdfRespirator Selection Guide 2018.pdf
#827 4 years ago

I'm using a 3M mask (6001) with p95 cartridges, does this cartridge protect me from 2K if I change it every time or should I be shopping around for a better one? Any recommendations on a mask or is a mechanical airflow system for the best protection? Looking for specific recommendations from the people in the know.

#828 4 years ago

I had obtained the KBS product SDS a few years ago and concluded nearly the same as you guys here. It left me wondering that if KBS wants full protection for spraying it but not rolling it. Why not roll on regular 2PAC, probably the same risks. Makes me wonder if KBS is actually different in any way.

#829 4 years ago

So can you distill this down to us regular folk semicolin ? Do these other two products require any different/less protection?

#830 4 years ago

I think I can spray a playfield fast enough that I don't even need to take a breath while doing it
KBS touts that it is self-levelling and amenable to rolling. Never tried it myself there are some threads on pinside where a few folks show results.

#832 4 years ago

lb1: Your pinball expert gave poor advice. It is literally my job to help people select the minimum safe respiratory equipment for chemical exposure. I am a respirator expert.Please trust your respirator expert. I want people here to keep flipping for a long time.

NYP: A P95 is 0% effective against 2K. It will let everything through. Might as well spray it naked. See my earlier recommendation.

BJM-Maxx: The two KBS products are totally different chemically even though they have the same name. They're not interchangeable.

harryhoudini:
2K: Supplied air, or Full mask + OVN95 cartridges new every 30 minutes
KBS DiamondFinish roll on: Full mask + OV cartridges new every day
KBS DiamondFinish Aerosol: Supplied air, or Full mask + OVP95 cartridges new every 30 minutes

Cartridges and filters are different. Cartridges are for chemical vapours, and have to matched very carefully to what is in the environment. Filters are for dust and oil spray. You can save a filter day to day until it get clogged up. Chemical filter media gets consumed and has to be replaced often.

#833 4 years ago

He may be an expert at restoring pinball machines, but it does not make him an expert in the PPE to shoot clearcoats.

I've heard stories of asbestos remediation "experts" that laugh at other experts who wear full PPE saying that they've been exposed to it for years with no effect.

So my takeaway here is that the PPE required for any of these products is at minimum a full mask, bunny suit, gloves, and OVP95 cartridges replaced very frequently. Looks like I'll probably need 3 sets of cartridges, one for the initial coat before doing the paint touch ups and 2 for the final 2 coats.

@semicolon Question on terminology, does P95 refer to particulate filters? This OVP95, is this an organic vapor cartridge coupled with a P95 particulate filter? Would this OV cartridge be sufficient? https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Organic-Vapor-Acid-Gas-Cartridge-6003-07047-AAD-60-EA-Case/?N=5002385+3294780293&preselect=3293786499&rt=rud

Do you have to add on another filter?

Edit: NVM I think I answered my own question by doing some more research. Looks like this kit would have everything needed.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/All-3M-Products/?N=5002385+3294427649&preselect=3294857497+4294850719&rt=rud

#835 4 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

So my takeaway here is that the PPE required for any of these products is at minimum a full mask, bunny suit, gloves, and OVP95 cartridges replaced very frequently. Looks like I'll probably need 3 sets of cartridges, one for the initial coat before doing the paint touch ups and 2 for the final 2 coats.
@semicolon Question on terminology, does P95 refer to particulate filters? This OVP95, is this an organic vapor cartridge coupled with a P95 particulate filter? Would this OV cartridge be sufficient? https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Organic-Vapor-Acid-Gas-Cartridge-6003-07047-AAD-60-EA-Case/?N=5002385+3294780293&preselect=3293786499&rt=rud
Do you have to add on another filter?

The N in N95 stands for
Not Oil Resistant. The P in P95 stands for Oil
Proof. It is effective at pre-filtering 95% of oily particulate contaminants before they hit the chemical neutralizing portion of the cartridge. 2K doesn't have any oily particulates, so the OVN95 is good enough, but the OVP95 is equally effective.

So, the 2K hierarchy of acceptable filters is: OVN95(Good) or OVP95(Good) -> OVN100(Better) or OVP100(Better) -> Supplied air (Best).

That 6003 is an OV/AG cartridge and would need to be coupled with an additional N95 prefilter. You would be better off purchasing a mask that was compatible with the 60921 Organic Vapour Filter Combo: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Organic-Vapor-Cartridge-Filter-60921-P100-60-EA-Case/?N=5002385+3294780264&preselect=8720539+8720550+8720746&rt=rud#

#836 4 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

Edit: NVM I think I answered my own question by doing some more research. Looks like this kit would have everything needed. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/All-3M-Products/?N=5002385+3294427649&preselect=3294857497+4294850719&rt=rud

This product looks like it will work great. That's a good all in one package. I would recommend it, but pick up some spare cartridges.

#837 4 years ago

The next question is what's the best method to figure out what size you need?

I know I can get a fit test at a distributor, but then I'm locked into buying from them.

I work in a field that has me visiting a lot of industrial companies and my colleagues have had it done, but I haven't had to go to a customer that requires more than a dust mask in my 11 years here.

#838 4 years ago

All this talk has me concerned about how these vapors disperse into the atmosphere. IF I go this route (trying to find somebody to do the clear for me), I would certainly suit up with the appropriate PPE, but I live on a small city lot, so I would be shooting either in the open, or improvising a booth to keep debris out and minimize overspray. Given that, I don't want to poison the neighbors! Anybody have any thoughts or experience?

#839 4 years ago

If you're wearing it every day then a fit test is a good idea. I have a beard so I can't pass one anyway.

For home use (and daily testing), do a pressure test: cover the cartridge intakes with your hands and inhale. The sides of your mask should suck in and stay sucked in for five seconds. Remove oyur hands and take a breath. Now, put your hand over the exhalation valve and breathe out. The sides should puff out and stay puffed out for five seconds.

PinballBillinFL: If you're in the open air in the back yard, you'll probably be okay. Better if you ask the neigbours if they can avoid playing in the back yard for twenty minutes and that way they don't have to put up with it. In open air, these volatiles disperse very quickly, but you can't avoid them if you're doing the work.

#840 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballBillinFL:

All this talk has me concerned about how these vapors disperse into the atmosphere. IF I go this route (trying to find somebody to do the clear for me), I would certainly suit up with the appropriate PPE, but I live on a small city lot, so I would be shooting either in the open, or improvising a booth to keep debris out and minimize overspray. Given that, I don't want to poison the neighbors! Anybody have any thoughts or experience?

I have a couple neighbor yappy shit dogs that I could pipe the vapours over the fence to. hmm.... gots me thinking now

#841 4 years ago

What about the scuba breather idea? Can I use a small air supply instead of a mask or fresh air hose?

#842 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

What about the scuba breather idea? Can I use a small air supply instead of a mask or fresh air hose?

I don't know, but if it does not cover your whole face then it isn't safe for the reasons already discussed.

You have three options:
a) Do whatever you want and live with the consequences
b) Do what is known to be safe
c) Outsource to someone else

Pinball is an expensive hobby already. An extra $100 to not be a drooling vegetable in twenty years is worth it to me.

#843 4 years ago

I am a drooling vegetable now.
Shit its too late !

#844 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

I am a drooling vegetable now. Shit its too late!

Mind if I call dibs on your Six Million Dollar Man, then?

#845 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

I don't know, but if it does not cover your whole face then it isn't safe for the reasons already discussed.
You have three options:
a) Do whatever you want and live with the consequences
b) Do what is known to be safe
c) Outsource to someone else
Pinball is an expensive hobby already. An extra $100 to not be a drooling vegetable in twenty years is worth it to me.

Ok, so lets say I am doing this outside and I wear a full body suit and face mask (but not a breathing mask). How far would I need to run away each time I spray and hold my breath? Let's assume I'm upwind, for utmost protection. If I hold my breath, spray and then run away 10 feet, is that enough (being upwind)?

Seriously, each time I sprayed my playfield I probably could have done it within a few breaths. The touch ups (clearing over water slides, etc) could easily be done in one breath. I can't see spending money on a set of filters each time I do a touch up. Trying to be safe but practical at the same time.

I am surely considering taking future stuff to an auto body shop, but that doesn't leave me time to do any fixes/touchups and clear those spots individually. Also, I can't feel good about taking them a playfield that still has mechanics under it but I can easily do that work at home. I'll choose some better solution for the future, but since you're the expert I'd like to pick your brain on this and understand what is and isn't possible. I can see if I was standing there for 20 minutes dealing with the clear but I'm just not anywhere close to that.

#846 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Mind if I call dibs on your Six Million Dollar Man, then?

Yes sir.
It is nice to see some humor.

Not to belittle your point. You are spot on and I am learning as we go.
In the 70s and 80s we were so cavalier about safety and we are all paying for it now.

#847 4 years ago

How far would I need to run away each time I spray and hold my breath?

Dude... stop... stoppp... STOPPPP!!!
B04296DD-563A-4694-A170-EE72271CED04.gifB04296DD-563A-4694-A170-EE72271CED04.gif

#848 4 years ago

Ok, so lets say I am doing this outside and I wear a full body suit and face mask (but not a breathing mask). How far would I need to run away each time I spray and hold my breath?

LMAO

#849 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

In the 70s and 80s we were so cavalier about safety and we are all paying for it now.

I have a friend that got an extremely terrible form of cancer caused by asbestos... asbestos that traveled home on her father's clothing for a few years when she was a small child!
The repercussions can be eye-popping. (disclosure: I don't know if any of this causes eyes to explode)

#850 4 years ago

I'd like to pick your brain on this and understand what is and isn't possible.

I have already told you the safe way to proceed. If a shiny pinball playfield is more important to you than your liver, then I cannot and will not help you further.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,490.00
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
$ 169.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 279.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,908 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 39.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spraymax-2k-auto-clear-in-a-can-club/page/17?hl=extraballz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.