image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
photo_(2)_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider krankypants.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

What price do you think distributors are getting them for? In most cases they are only making a couple of hundred $ of each game.

I promise you they are making more than that per game. That would be less than a 5% mark up in most cases. You can't run a business for very long with that thin of margins.

Quoted from nosro:

I think you are overestimating the margin on these machines.......in a small market like pinball machines, I suspect an older model of pricing applies, which is to take the cost (including capital costs) and add a fixed profit, such as 10%, because it can be so difficult to gauge demand.

Again, I can assure you they are marking these games up more than you think, at least 30%, and probably more like 40%-45%. I used to sell products manufactured in our company plant with 5 competitiors within 50 miles, and we would never sell below a 30% margin. Our target was 40% and we would receive a larger bonus if we were above 40% at the end of the month.

That mark up has to cover the salaries of all of the office staff (any non manual labor position), the building lease payment and any other expense that is not directly related to each machine they produce such as utilities and new equipment. "Cost" typically only counts the cost of parts and labor to produce each machine.

That being said, I don't think you will have much luck with a group buy. Stern probably has a pretty standard discount program for their distributors (buy xx number of machines get xx% discount). If you maximize that discount program and really beat up your distributor you may save an extra 5% to 8% more than a smart individual who shops around a bit on their own. That is a lot of work to put that sale together for such a small discount. Good luck though.

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Were you selling pinball games? If not (not to sound like a dick here) its not really relevant. Every industry operates on different margin levels. For some industries 40% is the norm. For some, 5% or less is the norm. It truly does 'depend'.

Don't worry, you don't sound like a dick. You just sound like you are very uneducated when it comes to manufacturing. If you can find a company similar in size, volume and product complexity to Stern, who wholesale their products for anywhere near 5% over the cost of parts and labor then please let me know who they are.

#114 8 years ago

I see where you are getting confused here. Notice the term "Net Margins". I referred to their mark up after parts and labor (I tried to make that very clear in my original post). Those are two totally different things. The net margins in this chart are even higher than I would have thought for some of the categories.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 25.50
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider krankypants.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spiderman-ve-buying-power-group?tu=krankypants and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.