Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Ericpinballfan
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
0219201342 (resized).jpg

#1 4 months ago

We had developed this mod some time back but when I heard about another mod coming out with similar design we held back, however it seems like that mod hasn't made much movement in a while so I am announcing ours and will release a few pics in the next week.

Our concept is be based around three main "elements":

1. We are producing these in high quality UV cured resin as solid pieces with a glass like finish and clarity. We are testing some unique and new printing and finishing processes which will allow us to produce a product which will sparkle and gleam with the game lighting and integrated mod lighting.

2. The mod will be interactive with the game. We are building out the programming now but the concept is that the EC is lit from inside/under/behind to give a nice warm glow to the whole thing with some sparkle reflection throughout the entire city. When a ball goes past the EC you get a "chasing" effect (configurable) depending on which direction the ball is headed. Possibly we would integrate with the OZ lanes for additional lighting feedback when a lane is lit or both are successfully lit.

3. The design of the city uses the most amount of real estate possible in the back corner and is designed to look very close to the actual EC design from the movie. Each spire is hand designed and we have re-created the EC doors as a main element of the mod, bringing together the far off view of the city along with the closer view of the large doors. The mod is not simply flat against the backboard, it has dimension on all axises. I believe our mod is the largest EC with by far the most depth and dimension.

If you want to get an idea of what the finished color/clarity would be like you can see a similar style material used for our Throne Room mod here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-enhanced-interactive-throne-room-by-pmc

As with the other mods we are producing currently I will announce when ordering is available. As with other mods of this "generation" from us they take a lot of time to produce and finish. Lighting is hand produced and soldered in house, all elements are created by us. A micro controller is included with settings for control of the effects, brightness and color. The mod is completely plug and play with very little needing to be done to install on your game. A durable clear coat is applied to all of our mods to protect from UV fading, prevent dust attraction and to seal all materials from the environment.

I know you all want to see so here is a very preliminary version of what we are creating. This is far from a finished item but overall style, size and placement is fairly close to the prototypes we have produced. The top of the columns are not domed in this render, they will be in the finished. Again this is just an early render, physical part photos will be posted soon.

#2 4 months ago

Just about there, doing a bit more framing on the doors. Then to wire up the lighting!

#3 4 months ago

Form is perfect, in my opinion. Now to test lighting and interaction with game. It's a bit too big to resin print but maybe I'll outsource it. Gonna test with translucent filament first but I think the resin look will be much better
0219201342 (resized).jpg

Might just extend a few spires to cover up the backboard graphic fully.

#4 4 months ago

Looks nice. Will it mount with a clip or double sided tape?

#5 4 months ago

You know, I didn't think about that yet but it doesn't matter too much since it fits in the spot perfectly. It could be held in with some masking tape and it wouldn't go anywhere. But yeah, I'll see about that. We're doing a lot of magnet mounts recently, which I really like for ease of removal (cleaning and such).

So, anyone who wants this have an opinion on material/look?

Here is a FDM printed version in transparent green (also with a light under it so you can get an idea of how the lighting will look, bad pic):

Thinking about doing some painting on this to highlight the doors and such.

The other option is SLA printed with resin. This provides a really clear, nice finish and I can tint it with a bit of gray to make it less transparent (like the woz head)

I have to print it in 2 pieces for SLA so I haven't done it yet but you get the idea from the throne room and head. I think I like the SLA better, personally and I think the lighting will look cool. I was probably going to hit either with some sparkling emerald green finish (just a light amount) to give it some depth and interest. Working on the light show programming, I think I can fit a crap ton of LEDs in there which will give me a lot of options for sparkling lighting.

#6 4 months ago

Go with magnet mounts. That way it can be removed for any playfield servicing needs.

#7 4 months ago
Quoted from Hoss_Coog:

Go with magnet mounts. That way it can be removed for any playfield servicing needs.

Cool, that was my thought as well.

#8 4 months ago

Why are all your mods based on someone else's design and then modified? I've had this mod, all be it smaller, for years now.

#10 4 months ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Why are all your mods based on someone else's design and then modified? I've had this mod, all be it smaller, for years now.

Why do you think because someone makes an Emerald City that someone else can't? I know for a fact there are at least 2 out there already. Plus, not all of my mods have been made before. It's not like an Emerald City is something unique that someone invented, it was in the movie. It's in the game. It's pretty easy to see the connection, doesn't take a genius.

Not to mention, aside from being bigger it is much more consistent with the movie and has the doors. As well it has lighting and game integration, nothing else on the market has either of these things.

If you don't like them or have one you are happy with then you have nothing to worry about.

I also like making things that I think would look good in my game. I've purchased some of these items in the past from other sellers and was just underwhelmed. Either at the integration, design or production quality. The way the EC mounted that I purchased was horrible. I ended up hot gluing it to the backboard. It also didn't fully cover the EC graphic on the backboard which I thought was a mistake. Ours does not quite yet (that's the first full design) but it will, we're moving some spires around. There is a lot of thought that goes in to these otherwise I wouldn't bother. Almost everything we make I have on our machines because I think they are cool or functional (lots of functional items for POTC). The crystal ball base, for example, now has the ability to tilt to change the angle of the screen for the player. But that's also a new mod no one has done, doh.

#11 4 months ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Why do you think because someone makes an Emerald City that someone else can't? I know for a fact there are at least 2 out there already. Plus, not all of my mods have been made before. It's not like an Emerald City is something unique that someone invented, it was in the movie. It's in the game. It's pretty easy to see the connection, doesn't take a genius.
Not to mention, aside from being bigger it is much more consistent with the movie and has the doors. As well it has lighting and game integration, nothing else on the market has either of these things.
If you don't like them or have one you are happy with then you have nothing to worry about.

Agreed. Its a much nicer Emerald City.

#12 4 months ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Agreed. Its a much nicer Emerald City.

It is, but its still a mod to a mod that already exists. So much for positive innovation I guess.

#13 4 months ago
Quoted from Spencer:

It is, but its still a mod to a mod that already exists. So much for positive innovation I guess.

Dude, take a look at my posts. We did a throne room, no one has done it like we have. We did a crystal ball base, no one has done it. We have a munchkinland village coming out, no one has done it. And we have 2 other mods coming out no one has done.

I think I've done my fair share of "positive innovation" (is that some made up corporate term?) and I see no reason why, if the market is interested, I shouldn't offer these other items for sale. If no one is interested I wasted my time and efforts or at least spent a lot of time and effort to make one for just me. Either way, should be no skin off your back to have my negatively innovating my heart out.

#14 4 months ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Bigger, Prettier, it lights up....
I like it!
I have the little one already, I'm ready to upgrade.
I think its ok to remake mods. I said it....
As long as they are different.

#15 4 months ago

Dude, take a look at my posts. We did a throne room, no one has done it like we have. We did a crystal ball base, no one has done it. We have a munchkinland village coming out, no one has done it. And we have 2 other mods coming out no one has done.
I think I've done my fair share of "positive innovation" (is that some made up corporate term?) and I see no reason why, if the market is interested, I shouldn't offer these other items for sale. If no one is interested I wasted my time and efforts or at least spent a lot of time and effort to make one for just me. Either way, should be no skin off your back to have my negatively innovating my heart out.

Hey, you have made some improvements, I'll agree with that but I just don't see why you cant come up with new ideas instead of building on others idea's. Agree to disagree I guess. I'm more than happy with my balloon flame mod, throne room mod, witch well mod, emerald city mod, etc.

#16 4 months ago

Like I said, I'm pretty sure I've come up with plenty of new/different mods that have not been done before. I shouldn't be precluded from improvements and unique implementations just because something exists.

#17 4 months ago

I'd say this is a decent improvement, but no one has to buy.

#18 4 months ago

I'm gonna do one in resin this weekend, I think it will be the way to go.

#19 4 months ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Hey, you have made some improvements, I'll agree with that but I just don't see why you cant come up with new ideas instead of building on others idea's. Agree to disagree I guess. I'm more than happy with my balloon flame mod, throne room mod, witch well mod, emerald city mod, etc.

Give the guy a break, it's only pinball. If you're not interested drain the thread and move along.

#20 4 months ago
Quoted from thewool:

Give the guy a break, it's only pinball. If you're not interested drain the thread and move along.

Thanks tips.

#21 4 months ago

Harry,

Can you take a photo from the players perspective.

#22 4 months ago

Sure. Not the latest version (more spires on the left now to hide the rest of the graphic and extend it further to the left) and I'm doing one in resin now but you get the perspective I think. I don't know which lens on my phone gives the right "view" of what your eyes see.

#23 4 months ago

Sure. Not the latest version (more spires on the left now to hide the rest of the graphic and extend it further to the left) and I'm doing one in resin now but you get the perspective I think. I don't know which lens on my phone gives the right "view" of what your eyes see.[quoted image]

Looks good with the stock tornado.

#24 4 months ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Looks good with the stock tornado.

Thanks. I can't wait to see what it looks like in semi-translucent resin with the doors having the silver trim:

#25 4 months ago

Oooof... tough choice. I really like the resin print better but it will take 3 prints for each EC which means a ton of time and we'll have to spend some extra time slicing it in a clean way so it isn't visible. I was planning on offering a ECLE sparkly green option so it doesn't need to be just plain green. I might mix in a small amount of gray to give it a not 100% transparent look.

Any thoughts? The full one is the PLA print on the FDM printer, it's low quality so ignore the rough finish. This is right off the printer as well, no finish work has been done at all. The partial piece is the resin print on the SLA printer. I like the clarity and finish, this is right off the printer as well. Less finish work for us and I think the lighting will look awesome in it. The light is just an incandescent flashlight so ignore the bright spots, but just so you can see the clarity and light.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#26 4 months ago

The resin looks way better.

#27 4 months ago

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. Ok, just need to slice it up differently to get it to all fit. Magnet mount is all designed. Gonna start working on the controller and the lighting effects. I have some ideas to make the lighting twinkle and flow with the ball. WOZ needs twinkle.

#28 4 months ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Just don't buy it.

They're not identical. The one you bought was all that was available at the time you bought it, but this one is better.

It's dumb to think the first version someone created should not be improved because it's copying waah waah.

Buyers benefit from choices. Let buyers decide where to spend their money. Consumer's purchase decisions will determine the success or failure.

#29 4 months ago

Looks good, would definitely replace the current one by this one

2 weeks later
#30 3 months ago

Ran out of resin in the middle of an 11 hour print... for only 1/3 of the overall mod. It takes 33 hours to print just one and about 1kg of resin but we're working on getting that down.

But it's gonna look hella cool. I found some really awesome lighting for it, something we have never used in any mod before and it should make it look amazeballs.

#31 3 months ago

Lookin’ good!

#32 3 months ago

It'd probably look a lot better if that center section printed, heh. Fitment and such all looks good. Gonna hollow it out a bit more to save on resin and weight (it's like 1.5lbs) which also will help with light dispersion.

#33 3 months ago

Testing out some finishes and such. I think we'll offer a sparkling edition, left side is sparkling but hard to see in this horrible shot. Testing out door paint, this was a quick slap on of some paint to see if the coverage is going to work.

Now I have to do the lighting and programming. Story of my life, lol. I have like 4 mods waiting for programming work. Need to hire an Arduino developer.

#34 3 months ago

The doors look Great! Looking good Harry.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Saint James, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Doylestown, PA
Machine - For Sale
Escondido, CA
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Machine - For Sale
Steele, ND

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside