20170803_172042.jpg
IMG_5806 (resized).JPG
IMG_5805 (resized).JPG
IMG_5804 (resized).JPG
IMG_5803 (resized).JPG
IMG_20170724_173307 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170724_173232 (resized).jpg
IMG_5782 (resized).JPG
There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 6 years ago

Such an amazing restore! Super impressive!!

#152 6 years ago

Thanks patrickvc and PAPPYBALL and everyone else for your support!

Tonight was some work on soldering up the GI for the light board. We also got to do some play testing and an initial tune up pass. Oh yeah, we got the back box mounted.

IMG_5858 (resized).JPGIMG_5858 (resized).JPG

#153 6 years ago

One more day until showtime...

Need to mount the score displays on the light board and then mount the light board to the back box... then more tuning up.

Continuation after the symposium will be focusing on the cabinet then it will go to the school rec center and hopefully collect enough to help buy a real back glass remake and maybe also fund our custom build... we have some cool ideas, some wild ideas and some wierd ones. Should be awesome!

#154 6 years ago

Great work! You've come a long way.

#155 6 years ago

Thanks SUPERBEE !

Got score displays in along with light panel, although didn't finish hooking up the lights so didn't plug that in just yet.

Tuned up a bit more. Playing pretty nice, not dialed in but good enough for tomorrows showcase.

IMG_5862 (resized).JPGIMG_5862 (resized).JPG

#156 6 years ago

damn, that back glass came out great, nice solution until you can get the real thing.

#157 6 years ago

Showtime

IMG_5867 (resized).JPGIMG_5867 (resized).JPG

#159 6 years ago

Details. Let's hear some details.

#160 6 years ago

It played really good and attracted a good amount of interest. A couple adjustments were needed early on but by the end of the afternoon it was consistent.

Several more kids got to play pinball for the first time in their lives (and kept coming back to play more) and adults were reintroduced.

Pops had good action, sligshots were snappy and that center shot was a lot harder than it looked.

We even got the bell working with just a little cleanup of the contacts. Never did get around to replacing the flasher bulbs though, oh well.

All in all a big success! At least 30-40 kids introduced to pinball and by the end of the whole experience many 10 or so were proficient enough that they were explaining the rules shots and objectives to the other kids. They were even comparing gameplay of Space Shuttle, WOZ and AS.

I think it's worked out well first restoring a machine instead of building our own as the group has a good understanding of the game in general now.

I have a video of it playing after the show (it was brought back to the lab and set back up for the end of summer party).

#161 6 years ago

Not the best video (didn't get the ramp shot or start a multiball)... but gives an idea:

#162 6 years ago

pretty sure planetary has backglass in stock

#163 6 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

pretty sure planetary has backglass in stock

They do but the school had a certain budget for the project. I pitched in a couple hundred on top of that and we had a couple pinsiders also pitch in a few parts and legs courtesy of Marco (stern legs but they look nice) so our budget was pretty much blown. It came down to the hard top overlay or a back-glass.

Hopefully they'll still be in stock next summer.

2 months later
#164 6 years ago

Minor update:

Today we had some kids come by the lab. They were actually familiar with the game from the Wii but had never seen an actual physical pinball machine. They got a kick out of it and put in several games, even playing doubles.

Anyway, while school is in session it’s pretty hard setting the game up and breaking it back down after a few hours. We’ll probably be picking it back up during the summer when we can keep it setup.

Meanwhile I have been building an I/O board and starting plans for building a custom game. The students will be coming up with the theme, helping with layout and some mechs. We have quite a few ideas that should engage several in the club.

#165 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Minor update:
Today we had some kids come by the lab. They were actually familiar with the game from the Wii but had never seen an actual physical pinball machine. They got a kick out of it and put in several games, even playing doubles.
Anyway, while school is in session it’s pretty hard setting the game up and breaking it back down after a few hours. We’ll probably be picking it back up during the summer when we can keep it setup.
Meanwhile I have been building an I/O board and starting plans for building a custom game. The students will be coming up with the theme, helping with layout and some mechs. We have quite a few ideas that should engage several in the club.

Can't wait to see the next project you guys do!

4 months later
#166 6 years ago

merccat, are you the guy that came by looking to buy my lost world last year?

#167 6 years ago
Quoted from martimagico:

merccat, are you the guy that came by looking to buy my lost world last year?

Yeah, that was me. How have ya been? This was the project I ended up going with..... way more of a disaster. Can’t remember if i had already picked this up then or not, was the same time frame.

Was just thinking about this project as we had space shuttle up and running tonight and got several good games in. This coming summer we will be addressing the cabinet issues.

1 month later
#168 6 years ago

No updates but we hosted an event for high scool students today (and lab is tonight) so set her up and still playing bueatifully.

D2B740F5-60FD-4511-8EC6-2EF632ACA271 (resized).jpegD2B740F5-60FD-4511-8EC6-2EF632ACA271 (resized).jpeg

1 month later
#169 5 years ago

The space shuttles adventures continue. Today for a campus event introducing sixth graders to college we had somewhere around 400 kids play real pinball for the first time (had to keep it to one or two balls per play to keep the line controlled). Quite a few really got into it (once they figured out where the flipper buttons were). The easy multiball was a big hit too.

4A62F47F-746A-43DB-BDEF-44C5E0FFDF7E (resized).jpeg4A62F47F-746A-43DB-BDEF-44C5E0FFDF7E (resized).jpeg

#170 5 years ago

That’s so awesome seeing a game that might as well been tossed out and forgotten being enjoyed again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-space-shuttle-has-crash-landed/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.