20170803_172042.jpg
IMG_5806 (resized).JPG
IMG_5805 (resized).JPG
IMG_5804 (resized).JPG
IMG_5803 (resized).JPG
IMG_20170724_173307 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170724_173232 (resized).jpg
IMG_5782 (resized).JPG
There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 6 years ago

Cool thing happened today. Upon finding a broken slingshot link one of the kids whipped up a pattern in solidworks and printed a new one.... we'll see how it holds up... have a new link on order in case (looked great but 3d print material seems brittle)

Didn't get a shot of it though because he re-installed it all while I was out tonight.

Had family come into town and wanted to check out a deal on another project pin... it was super tempting but a much more sparse game that wouldn't have a lot of parts to donate and not really interesting enough to restore. I think the owner has good plans for it though, hope my checking it out and not buying it wasn't too much of a disturbance.

So yeah... basically I came in, setup workstations and projects then left and didn't come back until clean up time.

#102 6 years ago

Oh and this happened!

IMG_5773 (resized).JPGIMG_5773 (resized).JPG

#103 6 years ago

Were trying to decide what exactly to do for the stencils. Were thinking about creating our own both as an exercise and also were thinking about incorporating the school logo and the lab logo into the art somehow... but don't have anything large enough to cut them on, so thats being mulled over.

Might run a small contest within the group to see what we come up with.

#104 6 years ago

This afternoon we gathered to remove the clamps from the playfield and evaluate the our success essentially re-laminating the bottom 6 inches or so of the playfield.

Overall we were very pleased with the results. All the wrinkling is gone, no signs of peeling and the edges feel solid. We are giving it a pass.

So with that we placed the order for the hard top overlay and started prepping the playfield. Will be laying down a coat of 2k clear this friday and hopefully get the hard top on next week if it's here by then. Unfortunately that pretty much blew the last of the budget.

IMG_5778 (resized).JPGIMG_5778 (resized).JPG

#105 6 years ago

Looks good but that shooter lane is gonna take some love.

#106 6 years ago

Yeah... i think from here on out... anyone who complains about some microscopic nick in their shooter lane gets a pic of this one LOL.

Going to be giving it a good scrub and sanding before we clear.

#107 6 years ago

Just sent you a pm Ryan, I'll dig out that backglass and send it out to you.

#108 6 years ago

Doing a great job! I'm working around a lot of summer trips, so a lot of mine is solo right now

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Just sent you a pm Ryan, I'll dig out that backglass and send it out to you.

Awesome!!! Thanks so much!

#110 6 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Doing a great job! I'm working around a lot of summer trips, so a lot of mine is solo right now

Tis the season that's for sure. We have a few different people out every week but fortunately the group is large enough we always have at least a couple working on the pinball project tasks.

Once we get to project 2 I expect we will have quite a few more since there is a lot of interest in ardrino and raspberry pi based projects.

The lab is thinking about opening up for a couple weekdays a week as well over the final few weeks of summer. There's a push to get projects wrspped up or to a level we can take them out and put on public display for an evening coming up.

#111 6 years ago

Hey Ryan, Just pulled the bg out of its many year slumber and its pretty rough. It was in my furnace room and the humidity didnt help it. It is still yours for free, just not sure if you still want it and if anyone can help me with A- the best way to pack it, and B- the cheapest way to ship it from Toronto to Cali ? If its cheap enough, i will cover the cost. I would love to help in your project if i can . space shuttle 3 (resized).jpgspace shuttle 3 (resized).jpgAnyone ?
space shuttle 2 (resized).jpgspace shuttle 2 (resized).jpgspace shuttle 1 (resized).jpgspace shuttle 1 (resized).jpg

#112 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Hey Ryan, Just pulled the bg out of its many year slumber and its pretty rough. It was in my furnace room and the humidity didnt help it. It is still yours for free, just not sure if you still want it and if anyone can help me with A- the best way to pack it, and B- the cheapest way to ship it from Toronto to Cali ? If its cheap enough, i will cover the cost. I would love to help in your project if i can . Anyone ?

You should be floged.

#113 6 years ago

LOL ... kinda fits the game actually... in lab now will show the pics...

Btw...
Shooter lane love.

IMG_5785 (resized).JPGIMG_5785 (resized).JPG

#114 6 years ago

The vote is yes, we will go for it.

Even if the paint falls off in shipping at least we will have a good reference for mounting the displays

Edit: if its going to cost a lot to ship... not sure if it would be worthwhile.... but, we'll need something. Please let me know what you'll need to ship, would hate for you to be out anything if it ends up falling apart.

#115 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

You should be floged.

I know i know ! Dont give me the gears !! For what its worth it was already beat when i stored it long ago ! (no excuse i know ! ) Help me ship it. I ave no idea since i have never shipped something like this, nevermind across borders .

#116 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

I know i know ! Dont give me the gears !! For what its worth it was already beat when i stored it long ago ! (no excuse i know ! ) Help me ship it. I ave no idea since i have never shipped something like this, nevermind across borders .

Last time I had someone ship me a backglass they packed it a kind of crate they made with two 1/8" pieces of cheapo plywood and four 1/2" x 1" boards... with some thin foam between....

Like a backglass sandwich.... board... foam... glass... foam... board... hold the mayo.

#117 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Last time I had someone ship me a backglass they packed it a kind of crate they made with two 1/8" pieces of cheapo plywood and four 1/2" x 1" boards... with some thin foam between....
Like a backglass sandwich.... board... foam... glass... foam... board... hold the mayo.

I'll donate $5 bucks to help with shipping.. Let me know where to send it...

#118 6 years ago

A coat of clear to seal it all up... once it cures we'll do a light sanding and wet sand and polish the inserts.

IMG_5787 (resized).JPGIMG_5787 (resized).JPG

#119 6 years ago

Oh yeah... first I had to remove what I can only describe as a poor mans cliffy?

IMG_5782 (resized).JPGIMG_5782 (resized).JPG

#120 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

I ave no idea since i have never shipped something like this,

Here's a link to a very good way to pack:
http://bgresto.com/?page_id=777

#121 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

The vote is yes, we will go for it.
Even if the paint falls off in shipping at least we will have a good reference for mounting the displays
Edit: if its going to cost a lot to ship... not sure if it would be worthwhile.... but, we'll need something. Please let me know what you'll need to ship, would hate for you to be out anything if it ends up falling apart.

It doesn't look like it, but anu chance that backglass has been coated (I.e. triple thick) at all? If it was coated (and fully dry obviously) it sure would make the chances better that yhe paint will stay in place during shipping.

Not trying to put more work on superbee when already being generous to project, just worth a mention to help save what is there.

#122 6 years ago

FYI: There is a backglass on ebay right now fairly local to me... bidding ends in a little over a day.

#123 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

FYI: There is a backglass on ebay right now fairly local to me... bidding ends in a little over a day.

Let me know what happens.

#124 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Let me know what happens.

Well sadly I got sniped... held the high bid for a day, last 5 minutes watched bids creep up to my max so I put a 50% increase on with 15 seconds to go but someone beat me by a couple bucks.

SUPERBEE ... let me know how your gut feels about it surviving a trip in it's current condition. I TOTALLY appreciate your offer and effort but would feel real bad if after all that it ends up degrading more and becomes unusable.

If you think it a high risk, I don't mind going ahead and getting a repo.

#125 6 years ago

Its delaming pretty bad. I think its pretty much shot and would probably be half glass by the time i got it too you. Let me know if you have any luck from your end and if not, ill try sending it too you. Atually going to try using packing tape to hold it together and see what happens. Keep you posted.

#126 6 years ago

Damn! I just came into the garage to see about taping up the back with clear tape and found this. I guess sitting in a dry garage for a few days after sitting in a damp furnace room for a few years wasnt at all a good thing. Its shot Don. It was pretty damaged before but its pretty much completely falling off the glass now. Sorry, really wanted to help you out on this project.

IMG_20170724_173307 (resized).jpgIMG_20170724_173307 (resized).jpgIMG_20170724_173232 (resized).jpgIMG_20170724_173232 (resized).jpg

#127 6 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

It doesn't look like it, but anu chance that backglass has been coated (I.e. triple thick) at all? If it was coated (and fully dry obviously) it sure would make the chances better that yhe paint will stay in place during shipping.
Not trying to put more work on superbee when already being generous to project, just worth a mention to help save what is there.

#128 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Damn! I just came into the garage to see about taping up the back with clear tape and found this. I guess sitting in a dry garage for a few days after sitting in a damp furnace room for a few years wasnt at all a good thing. Its shot Don. It was pretty damaged before but its pretty much completely falling off the glass now. Sorry, really wanted to help you out on this project.

Damn... time to hold a funeral... maybe a small plot in the backyard.

#129 6 years ago

The overlay arrived. Since I'll be at CAX this weekend, a couple of us came in to appy it tonight and leave a list for students to work on while were out.

Getting the placement right...
IMG_5803 (resized).JPGIMG_5803 (resized).JPG

John's quite nervous about my approach...
IMG_5804 (resized).JPGIMG_5804 (resized).JPG

Its down! Time to remove the protective film...
IMG_5805 (resized).JPGIMG_5805 (resized).JPG

And it's bueatiful! A couple holes are pretty far off, but all the inserts line up nicely and that's what matters.
IMG_5806 (resized).JPGIMG_5806 (resized).JPG

#130 6 years ago

Yeah the one on the left sling is crazy off but nice job.

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Thanks! Check out upper middle by bottom of pops on the edge of black and white... complete airball.

#132 6 years ago

That is damn impressive. I thought that that playfield was toast!

#133 6 years ago

Wow, just like that and brand new playfield! Incredible!

#134 6 years ago

Yeah, that hard top is pretty incredible. Way easier to apply than mylar overlays and looks great. I like that it covers the entire playfield, although all the clear areas have no adhesive, but hardware should hold it down good. Hope they keep coming out with titles.

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

The holes in the white areas are covered by plastics & won't really show anyway. Those hardtops look fantastic!

#136 6 years ago

Merccat, I hope your gonna put the heavy duty leg braces in that old cab.

#137 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Damn... time to hold a funeral... maybe a small plot in the backyard.

Like i said , it was pretty roached when i stored it but i guess because it was back behind a bunch of crap in the furnace room and didnt have any air flow, it just roached it even worse. Sorry buddy, was really hoping i could help with your project. I probably have some old SS parts kicking around so let me know if your in need of anything and i will certainly try to help.

#138 6 years ago

That overlay looks great !! Why would the hole be soo off though ? Was there much of a difference in the playfields at the time ?

#139 6 years ago

So I think I need a backup/interim plan for the backglass. We would like to show the game in 2 weeks, so anything will be better than nothing...

Here's my idea... make a large print of the backglass art and afix to a properly sized piece of plexi ( SUPERBEE 's newly clear glass would also work lol)... sorry some things ya just gotta laugh off.

Anyway... anyone know if a good quality scan of the backglass is around anywhere? It doesn't need to be perfect as this is an interim solution until we can find something affordable.... the overlay kinda blew the last of our budget.

#140 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

So I think I need a backup/interim plan for the backglass. We would like to show the game in 2 weeks, so anything will be better than nothing...
Here's my idea... make a large print of the backglass art and afix to a properly sized piece of plexi ( superbee 's newly clear glass would also work lol)... sorry some things ya just gotta laugh off.
Anyway... anyone know if a good quality scan of the backglass is around anywhere? It doesn't need to be perfect as this is an interim solution until we can find something affordable.... the overlay kinda blew the last of our budget.

i have a 40mb picture of the backglass, pm me your e-mail.

#141 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

i have a 40mb picture of the backglass, pm me your e-mail.

oh wait i found the link where i got it, pm sent.

#142 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Damn! I just came into the garage to see about taping up the back with clear tape and found this.

Ouch!

OP - I had an extra populated playfield with mine that I have since stripped. I have spares of most of the mechs, switches, etc. Let me know if you need anything. Happy to send for no cost it it would help.

#143 6 years ago

Did you by chance reach out to Ed Cheung? He had done a replacement translite for SS

http://www.edcheung.com/album/album06/Pinball/ss_backglass.htm

#144 6 years ago

Awesome, thanks beatmaster !!

RCA1 ... cool! Actually our center drop target's coil stop/bracket is trashed and I can't seem to locate anyone with a replacement in stock (its kind of backwards from normal brackets if memory serves me).

#145 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Awesome, thanks beatmaster !!
rca1 ... cool! Actually our center drop target's coil stop/bracket is trashed and I can't seem to locate anyone with a replacement in stock (its kind of backwards from normal brackets if memory serves me).

Here's what I have. Let me know if this looks good. PM me your mailing adress if you want this or part of it. Target seems to move fine and I don't see any damage.

20170803_172042.jpg20170803_172042.jpg

20170803_172053.jpg20170803_172053.jpg

#146 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Here's my idea... make a large print of the backglass art and afix to a properly sized piece of plexi ( superbee 's newly clear glass would also work lol)... sorry some things ya just gotta laugh off.

Anyone looking for a minty piece of back glass ? Ill let it go cheap ! lol

#147 6 years ago

Lab Night!!

Not much to report, reassembing the under side of things, hardly glorious. We'll be open all this coming week though to finish up projects.

Also a little Aerosmith during down time...

IMG_5847 (resized).JPGIMG_5847 (resized).JPG

#148 6 years ago

Crunch time as it needs to be ready to show Friday.

Tonight's focus was the top side of the playfield.

IMG_5853 (resized).JPGIMG_5853 (resized).JPG

#149 6 years ago

Looking good!

#150 6 years ago

What a transformation from where it started. Wow. Great work

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-space-shuttle-has-crash-landed/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.