20170803_172042.jpg
IMG_5806 (resized).JPG
IMG_5805 (resized).JPG
IMG_5804 (resized).JPG
IMG_5803 (resized).JPG
IMG_20170724_173307 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170724_173232 (resized).jpg
IMG_5782 (resized).JPG
There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

So What I think I really need is the width at the top and I should be able to derive the rest

The thickness at the top AND the bottom. Pinsider Beatmaster can be of great help on your project. He did his and WOW is it great.

#52 6 years ago

Going by the advertised width of 31 1/4", the debth of 10 1/4" and 7 1/4" at the top and bottom (from the remainig side panel) and the height of 27 1/2 (also from the remaining panel)... and studying what was left of the joints, I came up with this...

Next gotta recreate the speaker panel and hardware mounts, vents, etc

IMG_5714 (resized).JPGIMG_5714 (resized).JPG

IMG_5711 (resized).JPGIMG_5711 (resized).JPG

IMG_5715 (resized).JPGIMG_5715 (resized).JPG

IMG_5718 (resized).JPGIMG_5718 (resized).JPG

#53 6 years ago

Quick and dirty stencil.

IMG_5720 (resized).JPGIMG_5720 (resized).JPG

#54 6 years ago

A little router action...

IMG_5722 (resized).JPGIMG_5722 (resized).JPG

#55 6 years ago

And presto!

IMG_5724 (resized).JPGIMG_5724 (resized).JPG

#56 6 years ago

Hey that's lookin real good. Keep it up.

#57 6 years ago

We have vents...

IMG_5727 (resized).JPGIMG_5727 (resized).JPG

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hey that's lookin real good. Keep it up.

Thanks!

I promised the gang parts on friday... the back box is gonna be a bit of a surprise.

Anyone have a translite or backglass you've since replaced with better/new? Were going to need one before too long and I'm trying not to break the budget too badly.

#59 6 years ago

I had no reference for the top glass hold piece and lock mount so I went with WPC style here...

IMG_5732 (resized).JPGIMG_5732 (resized).JPG

#60 6 years ago

I have an old Space Shuttle backglass that i would give you for free. It has some bad flaking on the bottom but would do in a pinch. Im in Toronto Canada area so all i would ask is for shipping to be covered. Im not sure how much that would be and would have to figure out how to pack it so that it makes it there in one piece but im sure i can figure it out. Let me know if you cant find something more local and want it.

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

I have an old Space Shuttle backglass that i would give you for free. It has some bad flaking on the bottom but would do in a pinch. Im in Toronto Canada area so all i would ask is for shipping to be covered. Im not sure how much that would be and would have to figure out how to pack it so that it makes it there in one piece but im sure i can figure it out. Let me know if you cant find something more local and want it.

Awesome thanks SUPERBEE ! I'll happily pay whatever it costs to pack and ship, but yeah I'll first see if anything turns up more local.

#62 6 years ago

Bondoed over the staples, sanded smooth and primer applied was applied last night. This evening it will get a light sanding and a nice base of blue. I selected "cosmic blue". The shade seemed close and I thought the name was fitting.

A little preview with the speaker panel in place.

IMG_5735 (resized).JPGIMG_5735 (resized).JPG

#63 6 years ago

Great progress, looking forward to the completed project.

#64 6 years ago

I see you have some voids in the plywood edges, you gonna leave them? And the plywood back panel looks kind of rough.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I see you have some voids in the plywood edges, you gonna leave them? And the plywood back panel looks kind of rough.

I suppose I should fill those, nice catch. Was kind of thinking about routing the ends and applying Tmolding... but a quick fill just in case doesn't hurt.

I sanded the back side of the back panel but barely sanded the inside as it will be mostly covered by the giant metal plate the boards mount to. Also used a lower grade plywood back there since its not visible.

If the game were for me I probably would have used a high grade plywood all around, but since I'm pretty much considering it a donation I didn't want to go nuts. Might be able to get reimbursed portion of what I put in but trying to keep expenses to where I don't have to ask. That way we can move right into the next project.

#66 6 years ago

Blue applied. A little light perhaps but I kind of like the brightness. Will probably give it one more sanding and a final coat tomorrow. That and drying time will likely have it end up a hair darker.

IMG_5739 (resized).JPGIMG_5739 (resized).JPG

#67 6 years ago

Oh, the hole in the bottom is so small because I don't have the game here with me anymore so the size was a wild guess and I wanted to make sure to guess too small and have to expand it later if needed.

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

I suppose I should fill those, nice catch. Was kind of thinking about routing the ends and applying Tmolding... but a quick fill just in case doesn't hurt.
I sanded the back side of the back panel but barely sanded the inside as it will be mostly covered by the giant metal plate the boards mount to. Also used a lower grade plywood back there since its not visible.
If the game were for me I probably would have used a high grade plywood all around, but since I'm pretty much considering it a donation I didn't want to go nuts. Might be able to get reimbursed portion of what I put in but trying to keep expenses to where I don't have to ask. That way we can move right into the next project.

I see.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Oh, the hole in the bottom is so small because I don't have the game here with me anymore so the size was a wild guess and I wanted to make sure to guess too small and have to expand it later if needed.

You could have asked us for a hole size.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

You don't have to wait to provide the hole size.

#71 6 years ago

LOL! Alright, anyone have a hole size?

#72 6 years ago

And I think I will darken that blue up a tad with the final coat.

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

And I think I will darken that blue up a tad with the final coat.

i agree, this blue makes me think of lethal weapon 3.
are darker blue will be a better choice.

#74 6 years ago

Before and after... two days in evaporust and scrubbings every 10 hours or so.

IMG_5729 (resized).JPGIMG_5729 (resized).JPG

IMG_5740 (resized).JPGIMG_5740 (resized).JPG

#75 6 years ago

This should be interesting...

IMG_5741 (resized).JPGIMG_5741 (resized).JPG

Dominated...
IMG_5742 (resized).JPGIMG_5742 (resized).JPG

#76 6 years ago

Wow

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

That and drying time will likely have it end up a hair darker.

I'd just take that old panel down to Ace Hardware and have them match the paint color exactly for the final coat.

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

God you picky Paul !! Why don't you just leave the poor guy alone already!

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That's what she said !

#80 6 years ago

Ok got some "matched" paint... the lady had a hard time getting a good sample in the machine since the paint was cracked everywhere... I think they got close but I think it's a bit too grey and not enough blue...

But first it's still too hot to paint.

IMG_5747 (resized).JPGIMG_5747 (resized).JPG

#81 6 years ago

So on to the light panel! It worked out pretty good using the old speaker panel as a stencil so I think I will do the same here.

First I must gengerly remove the old bulbs and sockets...
IMG_5746 (resized).JPGIMG_5746 (resized).JPG

Next clamp it down as flat as I can get it...
IMG_5748 (resized).JPGIMG_5748 (resized).JPG

Spray...
IMG_5749 (resized).JPGIMG_5749 (resized).JPG

Viola!
IMG_5752 (resized).JPGIMG_5752 (resized).JPG

#82 6 years ago

Ok time to paint...
IMG_5751 (resized).JPGIMG_5751 (resized).JPG

I guess it's close enough, I'll save judgement for the daylight.
IMG_5753 (resized).JPGIMG_5753 (resized).JPG

I suspect I'm painting it again though... *sigh*

#83 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Ok time to paint...

Yikes. I'd show that picture and get my $ back for the "matched paint". Third time's the charm?

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Ok time to paint...

Contact Beatmaster, he did a great job matching that paint for his game..

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Next time... by hand... or at least no detergent. Thats what I get for trying to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Yeah you should NOT have used detergent. It has basically sand in it for cleaning.

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Contact Beatmaster, he did a great job matching that paint for his game..

yeah tell me about it, i also went darker after my first coat.

if you scan the paint you need an area that wasn't faded with years or with dirt on top of it, like under the side rails, inside, not easy since you can't really bring that section to the store.
make a few test with different blue.

#87 6 years ago

Well it's just gonna have to work for now. Lab starts in 4 hours.

IMG_5757 (resized).JPGIMG_5757 (resized).JPG

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Well it's just gonna have to work for now. Lab starts in 4 hours.

actually, this is a better picture, i think it's fine, that's the kind of dark blue i like.

#89 6 years ago

Thanks! Yeah I like this blue much better. They re-calibrated, remixed and then I had them add a touch more blue manually.

#90 6 years ago

Todays progress

IMG_5760 (resized).JPGIMG_5760 (resized).JPG

#91 6 years ago

Okay summary time now that I've recovered a bit:

- continued stripping the playfield and started sanding it down. We may temporarily re-assemble to continue work on playability issues while looking at playfield options and cabinet repairs.

- Placed the head as a test and took a couple measurements for mounting it.

- Found a broken slingshot link... also the single drop target mech is in even more sorry shape than I previously realized.

- Started reassembling the pops now that we have proper coils and fresh bodies.

#92 6 years ago

A slight improvement...

Forgot to notch out the top right corner though. Will just do it once the paint cures.

IMG_5765 (resized).JPGIMG_5765 (resized).JPG

#94 6 years ago

You better slow down and save some for the kids.

#95 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

You better slow down and save some for the kids.

LOL! Yeah, it's a balancing act. I want to let them do it but also want to keep a steady supply of projects prepared and ready to work on so there is enough to keep em interested.... while also avoiding turning the lab into a woodworking shop.

So my part is woodworking, parts & tools supply, guide & assistant.

The next couple weeks might slow down a bit. There is a kid who has really dove in head first and has even started teaching some of the other kids about how the mechanisms work will be out for a couple family events and a robotics team event, which sounds pretty awesome! We have a few others who are a bit more timid so it might be their opportunity to pick up the soldering iron and run.

#96 6 years ago

I gotta say this lab is the one of the most exciting things I've ever seen, especially for a junior college. It runs all year round with the kids meeting Friday Nights from around 5pm - 10pm. On any given night there are about 15-30 kids there with two professors, the schools senior software engineer and other guest professionals who come in. It's also where the local Google Developer Group meets. They take on a variety of projects, sometimes even contracting work with other organizations. In addition to the pinball project there are 2-3 programming projects currently being worked on by teams of 3-4 each, as well as VR development, IOT, and mechanical engineering.

In the last year or so they have helped develop an online trigonometry textbook, built and coded a multi-touch virtual air hockey table and 3D printed a robotic arm controlled via an audrino and a glove.

#97 6 years ago

How do I join?

#98 6 years ago

Yeah! Huh! I wish they had something even remotely like it when I was younger.

#99 6 years ago

Tonight's agenda...

IMG_5768 (resized).JPGIMG_5768 (resized).JPG

#100 6 years ago

And were off...

IMG_5770 (resized).JPGIMG_5770 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-space-shuttle-has-crash-landed/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.