Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by davewtf
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Knockers.png
    #1 11 years ago

i brought this up before but lets review for all the new members,
    my wife thinks im nuts that i still get excited when the replay knocker goes off.
    she always says "you won a free game on a game you play for free" i tell her its all part of the game and i am living my dream because when i was a kid only a zillionare could own their own pinball machine. i just love to hear the sound of the knocker going off.yes, even the stern chirp is cool although i prefer the mechanical knocker. what say you fellow pinheads.

#2 11 years ago

I still love hearing it when the scoring is messed up and I didn't earn it.

#3 11 years ago

I must say, I do really like the virtual knocker on stern games. It's got a nice LOUD clear sound. I like the old style knockers too, but they can sometimes sound quite muffled.

More on topic though, I still get excited every time the knocker goes off on my Flash Gordon, so we're in the same boat.

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

when i was a kid only a zillionare could own their own pinball machine

That made me smile.

#5 11 years ago

I hate that stern chirp its sounds like a glitch knocker all the way! hate to wake up the kids though lol!

#6 11 years ago

The stern chirp is garbage, it does sound like a glitch.

#7 11 years ago

the first time I beat the factory score on my DR DUDE I got a 3 in a row knock it was awesome!!

#8 11 years ago

I love knockers! do all stern's do that little dog yelp? I only got a match on a Family Guy.

#9 11 years ago

yeah i played roller coaster tycoon, nascar, world champ poker, and they did that must be a newer model thing. sounds cheap to be honest

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from SKILL_SHOT:

I love knockers! do all stern's do that little dog yelp? I only got a match on a Family Guy.

If your dog ever makes a noise like that, take the poor thing round back and put him down.

And yes. All the sterns sound like that.

#11 11 years ago

I love the sound of the knocker. When I'm playing pins by myself and hear the knocker, I thrust just like the stormtrooper below...

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

I love the sound of the knocker. When I'm playing pins by myself and hear the knocker, I thrust just like the stormtrooper below...
    » YouTube video

I am gonna do that new dance when the knocker goes off...... the harlem shake

#13 11 years ago

Yeah, I'm paranoid and jumpy anyway, and along with my vertigo, when that old school knocker hits I jump out of my skin! Gotta love the adrenaline rush!

#14 11 years ago

the knocker is the best sound in pinball, bar none...

#15 11 years ago

The stern knocker sound is horrible. Sounds like a car screeching or the machines broken. I've had people think they've broken a pin when they get it

#16 11 years ago

Nothing better than Knock Three Times in Taf goes off 6 times to complete

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from ink_blot:

I like the old style knockers too, but they can sometimes sound quite muffled.

Play a Capcom Airborne. Scared the living crap out of me when the knockefr went off!

Chris

#18 11 years ago

The Stern knocker is the worst sound ever. I would rather the machine cowboy punched my marbles while laughing at me than hear that God awful replay squeak.

#19 11 years ago

The Stern knocker sounds like a glitch in an MP3 file - terrible and disgusting!

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from rockinganker:

The Stern knocker is the worst sound ever. I would rather the machine cowboy punched my marbles while laughing at me than hear that God awful replay squeak.

Modding community? Can we expect to see this anytime soon? It'd be a great feature for laughs at parties.

#21 11 years ago

I love when people are startled by the unexpected knocker sound.

"WHAT WAS THAT?!"

"Oh, you did good"

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from SKILL_SHOT:

I love knockers!

Yeh, knockers!

#23 11 years ago

Love the (real) knocker sound. On a GTB EM AAB game it can be killer. I have a Goldstrike and with the WOW lit, every lit drop target and lane gives an EB with a loud crack! Bang a few of those shots in a row and it is very satisfying.

#24 11 years ago

How has this thread stayed on topic this long? lol

I love Seance mode on TAF. "Knock 3 times." Gets me every time. JP is pretty loud, but the Pinball Magic we are picking up on Saturday for my mom has a stupidly loud knocker. My dad is partially deaf and they turn their volumes down for some reason, so that thing is going to scare the crap out of them for awhile.

#25 11 years ago

Love it too. Wasn't loud enough for me on my LW3 (factory mount was cab. cross brace) so I moved it to the right side of cab, now it gives a very loud 'crack'!
    Now I have to do the same for my JP.
    Used to have a TAF and loved that 'Seance' mode.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

How has this thread stayed on topic this long? lol

ok,you asked for it.

#27 11 years ago

That sound is the reason for playing pinball.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

That sound is the reason for playing pinball.

Yup!

Dan

#29 11 years ago

Honestly, loud sounds in general tend to be very satisfying in pinball. From knockers, to the TZ jackpot sound, to the Addams Family multiball-start thunder. Loud booming noises are just awesome.

I love making sure everyone can hear how well I'm doing.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

ok,you asked for it.

I love that movie...and the knockers.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from GL_Pinguy:

I love that movie...and the knockers.

Those are indeed some very nice knockers.

#32 11 years ago

Young Frankenstein is on AMC at 12! I think it is going to be a late night for me.

#33 11 years ago

My first repair was a Cyclone for a friend. I changed the replay award to "extra ball" from "credit". Well, Cylone turns off the knocker when you use that setting. My friend came to play and when passing the replay score yelled out "HEY, Where's the knock?!" I explained the setting and that the knocker did work.

He said, "You don't understand. Long before the game went totally dead we had lost the displays and could not tell what our scores were. The knock was the only way we knew if we were doing well!"

#34 11 years ago

as the mass, the knocker IS part of pinball !

#35 11 years ago

The knocker on the Centaur I bought had been completely removed, I put one back very quickly!

#36 11 years ago

Ask not for whom the knocker tolls.........

#37 11 years ago

I love the knocker so much that I maxed the credits awarded in the settings for grand champion, 1st high score, etc. just so I can hear the multiple cracks after a great game even though my games are free. I have also converted all my current Sterns to real knockers as well.

#38 11 years ago

I prefer fake knockers so I guess Stern's aren't too bad afterall.

#39 11 years ago

Knock! Knock!
    Love the knocker sound. Gotta fix the very weak one on my Time Warp and get it back up to full KNOCK.

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I prefer fake knockers so I guess Stern's aren't too bad afterall.

You prefer fake knockers.......both meaning suck. Fake tits or knockers are sub par

#41 11 years ago

Love it! its always fun to see how many times you can make it go off in one game, if at all.

#42 11 years ago

Knockers.pngKnockers.png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-sound-of-the-knocker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.