New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 275976)

The Smell of Old Games...

By Azmodeus

66 days ago

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 65 days ago by EJS
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“The Smell of Old Games...”

• Smells are just great. 49 votes
    83%
  • No way, man! 10 votes
    17%

(59 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

download (resized).jpg
luola2 (resized).jpg
luola1 (resized).jpg
B8FDF9B3-A6CC-4BCC-89D4-93F6245105E2 (resized).jpeg

#1 66 days ago

Love it or hate it?

The smell of old games in The arcade.

Some people dislike that smell that just doesn’t go away, but I like it.

It’s a smell found no where else. Just the arcade. Like banning in the E M section.

Some people dislike the smells. I say it’s part of it.

#2 66 days ago
B8FDF9B3-A6CC-4BCC-89D4-93F6245105E2 (resized).jpeg
#3 66 days ago

Love it

#4 66 days ago

Nothing like the smell of a Gottlieb EM.

#6 66 days ago
Quoted from EJS:

Nothing like the smell of a Gottlieb EM.

Perfectly said

#7 66 days ago

Smells like grandmas house

#8 66 days ago

I love that routed smell! It gives the game character.

#9 66 days ago

Love the smell of em games for sure. Smoky bar pins no way

#10 66 days ago

I love the smell of old EM games.

Sorry, pics are from 2001 when I visited a friends EM cave. Resolution is not what we'd expect in 2020...

luola1 (resized).jpgluola2 (resized).jpg
#11 66 days ago

It should be made into an aftershave lotion. Women would LOVE it!

#12 66 days ago

Was just thinking about the smell the other day.

Great post.

#13 66 days ago

Love it as well as the ozone given off from EM's and especially
bingos from the arcing-sparking contacts. All part of the experience.
Steve

#14 66 days ago

I bought a game from an ice cream parlor once, and my basement smelled like waffle cones for 2 months. It was great.

#15 66 days ago

Someone needs to post the scene from "Apocalypse Now" with Robert Duvall on the beach and dub him saying "Smell, you smell that smell, smells like an EM Gottlieb" instead of "victory"

download (resized).jpg
#16 66 days ago

I bought a capt fantastic from an old hippie. Smelled like stale weed every time you lifted playfield, pretty disgusting

#17 66 days ago

an old EM smells better than a NIB!!

#18 66 days ago

Bought several pins over the years from a local pizza place, always loved how they smelled when I had to open them up

#19 66 days ago

My last barn find smelled like mice turds.

#20 66 days ago

Every time I open my FC it's like going back in time 20 years to the first FC I had. Brings back memories of that certain period. Yeah, it's fiberboard or something, must be the glue.
I've been lucky, my Ems seemed to all have that perfect combination of spilled beer, weed and tobacco when warmed up.
Old games are a comforting smell that definitely trigger good synapses.

#21 66 days ago

There is nothing like the smell of a clean, dry, old EM. particularly Gottlieb for some reason,as already noted. On the flip side, there is nothing worse than the smell of a musty old EM that has sat in a damp musty basement for years. Throw in mice and forget about it!

#22 66 days ago

Nothing like it . . .

#23 66 days ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Smells like grandmas house

I wonder why grandma’s house smells that way?

#24 66 days ago

That wonderful smell isn’t limited to em’s. I have a couple dmd’s and the rest are early solid states and that smell is delicious. The smell, the lights, the sounds all equal FUN!

#25 66 days ago

Queen of Diamonds from 1959 smells SO amazing. Diamond Lady a citrus smell to it haha it’s so weird. Our other games just smell like comic books

#26 66 days ago

I restored a ‘67 Shangri-La and purposely am leaving the mech board as is just because I know I’ll lose that old book smell if I make a new one and transfer everything over.

#27 66 days ago

I love the smell of EMs !!! BTW what makes that smell? Is it the wiring insulation???

Rob

#28 66 days ago

I'm enjoying the smells of Ski Club. Kinda wafts through the room nonchalantly...

#29 66 days ago
Quoted from gaspumprob:

I love the smell of EMs !!! BTW what makes that smell? Is it the wiring insulation???
Rob

Same here. I'm pretty sure it's the wiring.

#30 66 days ago

I think the ozone from arcing has something to do with it too but I’m not an expert on that subject matter

#31 65 days ago

Nothing like opening a bingo and taking a full hit.

#32 65 days ago
Quoted from gaspumprob:

Rob

Oh, that's just a bit of anhydrous 1,3,4-difluoromethoxybenzyltriphenylmethylenglycolaldehydecarbamate; there is a class action lawsuit currently pending, and if you have been diagnosed with lung cancer, emphysema, osteoporosis, posttraumatic stress disorder, erectile dysfunction, glaucoma, or rectal prolapse you need to contact a lawyer ASAP (daytime TV is a good referral source) in order to ensure that you get the fair share of the settlement you are entitled to.

More seriously, some of that sharp, "hot" odor in a lot of old electronics is from phenolic circuit boards/terminal strips/insulators outgassing due to being heated (smells distinctive, but is nasty stuff and mostly banned in modern electronics in favor of fiberglass and other materials which are less toxic and less environmentally disruptive). There were also a lot of terminal strips/boards/insulators made of a laminated paper/resin material which also has a funky odor when heated. Otherwise, much of the smell originates from negative ions due to arcing contacts, accumulated dust/environmental fallout, mouse/insect feces/urine, outgassing varnishes on cloth-insulated wiring, and outgassing from the enamels on "magnet wire" in coils, transformers, etc.

Of note, there are a few pins which featured selenium rectifiers; if one of those experiences catastrophic failure and overheats, copious amounts of smoke containing selenium dioxide will result, which is a significant respiratory toxin (and produces the worst smell you will probably ever encounter, like a combination of burnt garlic + rotten eggs + dead fish).

#33 65 days ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

Nothing like opening a bingo and taking a full hit.

Usually that describes me when I negligently leave the power on and touch line voltage.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 149.00
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside