Ice Revue when it arrived (resized).JPG
IMG_3087 (resized).JPG
HGplayfield (resized).jpg
IMG_3026 (resized).JPG
IMG_3002 (resized).JPG
IMG_3013 (resized).JPG
IMG_3014 (resized).JPG
IMG_3003 (resized).JPG
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago

I looked at switch 30 last night - its the one that shows up as a problem in the switch test. It looks good from a physical point of view, I didn't reflow the wires but the contacts look good, its open and not touching, closing when i push on it.

I am wondering if the tiny diode or capacitor on the switch could be bad. Does anyone know what parts they are? I can't find them in the manual at all. it just says "all switch assemblies consist of leaf springs, contacts, separators, plastic tubing and screws to hold them to the mounting surface."

#52 5 years ago

Probably your switch problem is the capacitor.I replace them as a standard procedure on the old Ballys. You can cut one leg for now and test again. These capacitors are used for better sensability in fast ball action switch locations and go bad in time. They are not realy mandatary for the switches to work, switches just work more reliable with the capacitors in place so you can keep playing while you order some.

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Does anyone know what parts they are?

This is what Pinrepair said:

The original switch capacitors were .05 mfd or .047 mfd, 16 volt (or greater), ceramic disc, non-polarized (the caps are handling 5 volts, so any voltage will work). The most common, easiest to find replacements today seems to be .047 mfd 50 volt non-polarized caps.

Switch diodes are 1N4148 (or 1N914), which are known as fast "switching" diodes. Also a 1N4001 or 1N4004 can be used in a pinch. And it does matter which way the band of the diode is installed!

#54 5 years ago

Pinrepair is such a wealth of knowledge

9 months later
#55 4 years ago

Mark - what happened? I'm looking for inspiration to restore a Globetrotters

#56 4 years ago

Haha. I snipped the diode off but now the switch doesn’t work at all. My guess is that one of the connectors I replaced was done poorly - it seems like 99% of the problems are connector-related. I need to do some work with the meter but I’ve been working on my new rescue 911 instead (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rescuing-a-rescue-911)

In re-checking out the globetrotter I realized how far I have come. It looks more like a “before” pin than an “after” pin. It’s going back into the workroom after I get my target pool finished. Then perhaps I can really say the slowest restore is done

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,299 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grandview, MO
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-slowest-globetrotter-restore/page/2?hl=audiohaven and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.